Russell Wilson: passing problems

Smellyman

Reaction score
SeaChase":1hzhkp3j said:
The O-line is horrendous, but the OC has to know and plan for this. Another thing I noticed is Wilson doesn't seem to have the authority to audible.

like put up 23 points?

What do you plan for a line that can't run block or pass block?

I think they should try to run the Touchdown play every time.

seedhawk

Reaction score
SeaChase":8a8xiijw said:
The O-line is horrendous, but the OC has to know and plan for this. Another thing I noticed is Wilson doesn't seem to have the authority to audible.

You do realize that Bevel sends in 3 plays for every down. Same personell and formation with 3 seperate options. Russ looks over the defense and makes his read as to the best option. This could also explain why our line looks so damn bad on some plays, as it would appear half the line is blocking for option 1 when the call is option 3.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
This was not his best game but when a QB is not totally on you need some of the others around him make some plays.

It is a very fine line between over the top awesome and you suck. There was a few throws in that game that if the receivers make the catch it changes the dynamics.

One pass in particular when he dropped an absolute dime into Willson between two defenders only to have it dropped. Looked about as accurate as you can be.

Lets use last night game of the Colts and the mercurial MR Luck, He easily could of had 4 picks a fumbled handoff and more. The throw to Hilton that goes down as a TD should've been an INT but his receiver bailed him out. RW needs a little of that right now.

I give credit to RW on keeping his composure when things are not going well. Is he perfect hell no, no one is. Every QB makes crappy throws in a game, some of the "Greats" get bailed out on those crappy throws.

I think RW needs to get tough on his receivers and start demanding better play out of them.

edogg23

Reaction score
Russell had an off game and I think he would be the first one to tell you that so I don't think we need to make excuses for him. His QBR against the raiders was 30 points lower than what any other qb put up against the raiders defense this year including Geno Smith. We are talking about an defense that is about as bad as any team has been in years against the pass and Russell struggled.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Smellyman":1oc229r2 said:
What do you plan for a line that can't run block or pass block? I think they should try to run the Touchdown play every time.
It's really easy, you just have to turn your weaknesses into strengths when you draw up the game plan. Stay away from the plays that won't work, make sure you either pound the running game early or throw deep to open up the running game later, and make sure you give Lynch the ball every time along with making CMike a bigger part of the game plan.

SeaChase

Reaction score
seedhawk":2yokdcli said:
SeaChase":2yokdcli said:

You do realize that Bevel sends in 3 plays for every down. Same personell and formation with 3 seperate options. Russ looks over the defense and makes his read as to the best option. This could also explain why our line looks so damn bad on some plays, as it would appear half the line is blocking for option 1 when the call is option 3.

No, wasn't aware of this. Then the blame falls more on Wilson. He needs to make sure the O-line knows what protection/option he intends on using. The QB is the leader out there, he needs to command the offense. The lack of communication could be the reason for the missed blocks/false starts issues this team is having.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
SeaChase":2ys12kow said:
My bad, i'ts be-en too semeste'rs sihence I finisheded English twoo. But besides the one grammatical mistake, lets focus on the real issue. The Raiders are 0-7 for a reason. They are the "cupcake" of the NFL. People act like this is the first game Wilson has struggled in. In the game day forum, it was obvious this week that people have not only noticed Wilson's struggles, but are growing tired, concerned, angry, and whatever other emotional reaction they might encounter during the game. However, the discussion has carried over to the main forum for a reason.

Lynch hasn't really looked all that beastly lately either. Like I said previously, I'm happy we won and are 5-3, but barely beating an 0-7 team is concerning. I hope we get some of the injured players back ASP. Although I think Simon is playing better than Maxwell.

Please read and comprehend: I said OAK's Defense isn't exactly cupcake (you can claim the team overall as such if you like).

Name 2-3 other RB's playing today who wear down a defense like Lynch.

This Wilson freak-out I'm reading is born of boredom.

SeaChase

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":2vtjwqbg said:
SeaChase":2vtjwqbg said:
My bad, i'ts be-en too semeste'rs sihence I finisheded English twoo. But besides the one grammatical mistake, lets focus on the real issue. The Raiders are 0-7 for a reason. They are the "cupcake" of the NFL. People act like this is the first game Wilson has struggled in. In the game day forum, it was obvious this week that people have not only noticed Wilson's struggles, but are growing tired, concerned, angry, and whatever other emotional reaction they might encounter during the game. However, the discussion has carried over to the main forum for a reason.

Lynch hasn't really looked all that beastly lately either. Like I said previously, I'm happy we won and are 5-3, but barely beating an 0-7 team is concerning. I hope we get some of the injured players back ASP. Although I think Simon is playing better than Maxwell.

Please read and comprehend: I said OAK's Defense isn't exactly cupcake (you can claim the team overall as such if you like).

Name 2-3 other RB's playing today who wear down a defense like Lynch.

This Wilson freak-out I'm reading is born of boredom.

I think it's obvious I comprehend as I point out the 0-7 record, which is a fact not a claim. If you fail to comprehend that than it's easy to see why you don't understand that Lynch isn't even a top 5 back right now.

SaskHawk

Reaction score
Has RW been off? Yes, but there is much more to it than just RW. The O Line has been horrible for a few years now and this I blame on the coaches and management for not addressing earlier. Even when healthy our O Line is far below average imo. You cannot have a QB this good without supplying him with protection, keep it up and his career could be short lived. He has had to run for his life during his first three years and has made incredible plays, imagine for a minute if he is allowed to sit in the pocket for a couple more seconds allowing plays to come to fruition? Wouldn't that be something sweet? Now just imagine if he has the time like Manning has, what could he accomplish then? I sincerely hope that this is the last year that the FO doesn't address this.

Last year we brought in what we thought was going to be our game changer on the offence but we never supplied RW with the protection he' s needed to allow someone with the speed of PH or anyone else to run anything other than short routes. If defences know that they can get a lot of pressure on the QB and disrupt any chance at a longer pass completion it makes it that much easier to defend against. It is better when the line is healthy but so not nearly as good as it could be had it been addressed either in draft or FA.

That being said, if we knew our O Line can't supply protection, then maybe more screens should be run to try to break up the pressure? Height can be an issue there but with some shifting, throwing lanes could be opened up. I'm by no means an O coordinator, just my two cents as a fan. :180670:

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
SeaChase":2qqxi5po said:
I think it's obvious I comprehend as I point out the 0-7 record, which is a fact not a claim. If you fail to comprehend that than it's easy to see why you don't understand that Lynch isn't even a top 5 back right now.

Again, please name 2-3 RB's that wear a D like Lynch.
He's Top 3 in my book (and the best RB choice for this hawk team right now).

OAK D against a depleted Hawk O, you aren't factoring this. 0-7 isn't a reply in regard to OAK's D in this game. It's you restating they're 0-7, nothing more. It means nothing on any given Sunday. If anything one might question the Hawk defense rather than nitpick average play by Wilson.

ADD: and few are touting this was Wilson's best game.

SeaChase

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":2d1ikdga said:
SeaChase":2d1ikdga said:

Again, please name 2-3 RB's that wear a D like Lynch.
He's Top 3 in my book (and the best RB choice for this hawk team right now).

0-7 isn't a reply as for OAK's D in this game. It's you restating they're 0-7.

Obviously it stands for something, if they had a good D I doubt they would be 0-7. As someone else pointed out, look at other Qb's stats V.s the Raiders this year and compare them to Wilson's horrible day.

As for Lynch, him wearing down the D hasn't helped Wilson that much has it? So what's your point? Ok I'll bite, Murray, Foster, and McCoy.

Who's saying it's Wilson's best game? Percy Harvin...

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
SeaChase":m4azvp8h said:
Obviously it stands for something, if they had a good D I doubt they would be 0-7. As someone else pointed out, look at other Qb's stats V.s the Raiders this year and compare them to Wilson's horrible day.

As for Lynch, him wearing down the D hasn't helped Wilson that much has it? So what's your point? Ok I'll bite, Murray, Foster, and McCoy.

A solid RB crew NOT helping the QB? :shock: Tell me this is a typo.

I'll give ya a maybe on Foster as of late but Murray? The same Murray who was shut down well and bruising NOBODY?

Good grief. You and I, we're done chatting as of now.

SeaChase

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":1ll0upqg said:
SeaChase":1ll0upqg said:

A solid RB crew NOT helping the QB? :shock: Tell me this is a typo.

I'll give ya a maybe on Foster as of late but Murray? The same Murray who was shut down well and bruising NOBODY?

Good grief. You and I, we're done chatting as of now.

Good, I'll reply and you can ignore it. Again if the D was so worn down by Lynch as you say than Wilson should have had an awesome day. And that wasn't the case.

Your logic is way off. Murray as of late? You mean the last two games which Romo has been injured and Weeden is the backup? Yeah he had no completed passes by half time last game so you can say the Cowgirls are one dimensional as of late.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
SeaChase":4c247fas said:
Good, I'll reply and you can ignore it. Again if the D was so worn down by Lynch as you say than Wilson should have had an awesome day. And that wasn't the case.

Your logic is way off. Murray as of late? You mean the last two games which Romo has been injured and Weeden is the backup? Yeah he had no completed passes by half time last game so you can say the Cowgirls are one dimensional as of late.

The cowgirls ARE rather one dimensional, and a Romo injury means nothing as for Murray (who was shut down and bruising nobody in THIS game). You have better footing with Foster there.

I'm just saying Lynch is a completely different breed of RB. It's a freight train of intention, none of which has to do so much with YPC either (although, we all can call up several clips showing as much). There is a reason you read and hear about him giving defenses fits, he wears defenses down over the course of a game (yes, way more than Murray and 1-shot on an old QB). It's a capital B.*.T.C.H. handling him over the course of a game. This is why I say he's the best RB (top 3 imo) for THIS team.

RB's most definitely feed and help the QB play. This however shouldn't have to be stated. I must consider it a typo.

Point is, this is a seasons worth of football and quite frankly given all the turmoil on this team, then injuries galore, I can't see why Wilson is your main target. He didn't have his best game (as many do agree) but he's number whatever in the concern list based as for his overall play. How about our defense? Let's discuss that, because I'm with the thought that the LOB didn't show up in this game, especially 2nd half.

SeaChase

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":2hlmhrex said:
SeaChase":2hlmhrex said:

The cowgirls ARE rather one dimensional, and a Romo injury means nothing as for Murray (who was shut down and bruising nobody in THIS game). You have better footing with Foster there.

I'm just saying Lynch is a completely different breed of RB. It's a freight train of intention, none of which has to do so much with YPC either (although, we all can call up several clips showing as much). There is a reason you read and hear about him giving defenses fits, he wears defenses down over the course of a game (yes, way more than Murray and 1-shot on an old QB). It's a capital B.*.T.C.H. handling him over the course of a game. This is why I say he's the best RB (top 3 imo) for THIS team.

RB's most definitely feed and help the QB play. This however shouldn't have to be stated. I must consider it a typo.

Point is, this is a seasons worth of football and quite frankly given all the turmoil on this team, then injuries galore, I can't see why Wilson is your main target. He didn't have his best game (as many do agree) but he's number whatever in the concern list based as for his overall play. How about our defense? Let's discuss that, because I'm with the thought that the LOB didn't show up in this game, especially 2nd half.

I know RB's help, but lately Lynch hasn't been utilized like he was last season. I already see a difference with Harvin being gone.

Lynch is a rare breed indeed. And all I'm saying is with Romo being out the D's main focus is to shut down the Cowgirls running game and it worked.

Wilson is my main target at the moment because he has been playing poorly. Someone else pointed out that the O-line has been bad since basically he started yet Wilson has found ways to shine. But lately, that hasn't been the case. I think a lot of pressure is on him and with the D not being as good as last year combined with a ton of injuries is starting to take it's toll.

I see a lot of people pointing the finger at someone else, bad O-line, WR's , OC, and whatever reason anyone can come up with besides blaming Wilson for once. It almost seems Taboo around here to call out Wilson. I'm not doing it just to piss people off, I just call it as I see it. I realize there's a lot of reasons, as I pointed some out, for his poor play, but that's all I'm doing is placing the blame on the team leader.

BamKam

Reaction score
I think the problem is the people don't realize what kind of a QB RW really is. He is perfect for this team but he is going to be erratic at times. He is never going to be the Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers type... he can sometimes be better than those guys and at other times worse. Those QBs will give you much more stable and consistent outings than Russ will. He is still the perfect QB for our team though.

Calm down and don't always read into a couple bad games like there is some deeper meaning. They are what they are, bad games. It seems like this board tends to do that with pretty much every player.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, every player has off games, and they still won. I'll take it.
The dude is playing behind a horribly injuried and young o-line. He obviously has that clock in his head sometimes and is letting go of the ball quicker than needed sometimes. It's to be expected when he's running for his life all the time.
Not even a little bit concerned about him. Top 6 or 7 QB in football, and he's only gonna' get better.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Undoubtedly this was not a good game by Wilson. That said, getting into a rythm is more important than most people think. The multiple drops by Willson and Kearse played a large part in killing any chance if establishing that rythm... especially when you consider the limited passing attempts afforded by this offense.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
irocdave":1fkhl9zp said:
Wow. Post....not the poster...?
RW hasn't looked "right " for most of the 14 season. A post like the above indicates total homerism / un-objective football watching skills and ignorant commenting skillz. RW needs to right his ship. Receivers, especially the tight ends need to catch the dam ball. The OC needs to run the F'ing ball, ALOT. The O line needs to block and do that blocking thing much better on pass plays. And....RW needs to get to the ball accurately, yes ACCURATELY and ON TIME to receivers.

RW is part of the problem this year, why is that taboo to acknowledge? Love the guy and love what he brings to the team, but he isn't perfect and to say so is, well, just ignorant homerism.
I think it's taboo to acknowledge because the people who have been worried about the oline issues will have been proven right - that the relentless revolving door that is our pass protection would ruin Wilson. And the fanboyz and homerists who love to call anyone who expresses a concern "chicken littles", who endlessly post derisive comments on every thread that discusses anything that isn't "rah rah, Go Hawks!", who will argue with you over the semantics of your post rather than the substance, those guys would have been proven to be exactly what they are: blind homers.