Russell Wilson sets deadline for new contract

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It's not that he isn't worth it. We have so many holes on the roster with what we are already paying him. How do we turn it around with even less money to spread around the other positions?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3e10y8n7 said:
It's not that he isn't worth it. We have so many holes on the roster with what we are already paying him. How do we turn it around with even less money to spread around the other positions?

Do we have that many holes? Team is young but developing.

Whats quicker, developing dbacks and a pass rusher or a qb?

John63

Reaction score
scutterhawk":310q30nj said:
RCATES":310q30nj said:
Seymour":310q30nj said:
RCATES":310q30nj said:
Last 8 playoff games
144-233
15TD 10 INT
This includes last years Elite performance against Dallas 18-27 1TD

You're right numbers don't lie. I'd rather see this team pick up a rookie for low money and stack the Defense like they did when they were winning playoff games. Signing Wilson to that much money will get us 9-7, 10-6 and getting bounced in the first round of the playoffs the next 5 years. Sounds exciting.

I know you would. It shows in every Wilson post of yours. One small glitch in your plan. It took us 36 flippin' years to find that "special rookie" that could lead this team like he did. So your plan in theory will only take another 36 years to come to fruition. :roll:

You're right Matt H. was terrible :roll:
If you think Wilson was the reason we won a SB I have bad news for you. I can tell you he was the reason we lost the 2nd.
The "Bad News" as you call it, is that the LOB is the actual culprits, and the BIGGEST reason that the Seahawks lost that game, they let Brady (the Patriots Franchise Quarterback) rack up 10 quick points, & regain the lead.

why bother let's look at this he said Wilson is the reason we lost, but not the reason we won, I mean really, did he even watch the season? Obviously not.

Seymour

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2j3j3fz2 said:

By not trading away all our draft picks on tail chasing trades for starters. That is how you bring the cap numbers down....great rookies / drafting taking veterans roster spots.

OP
OP
jmahon316

jmahon316

Reaction score
Let me ask this question then, since we're all in a toss-up. AT THIS POINT IN TIME, literally at this moment considering last year and the way Carroll wants to be a run-first team, as well as all of our glaring holes....

Would it be more beneficial to chance trading Russ to NYG for multiple (4+) picks, or renewing his contract and giving him top dollar (which he obviously wants, even though he's not the #1 QB in the NFL atm)

poly1274

Reaction score
Why would the giants trade for him if they can sign him next season and use their picks on WR/OT/OH

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1c5umqhi said:
SoulfishHawk":1c5umqhi said:
Down 16 w/5 minutes to go in the NFC Championship vs. the Packers. Russ flat out CARRIED that team to victory, period. He's clearly just average. I mean, Matty Hass was 10 times the QB that Russ ever has been :roll:
But yeah, in the Super Bowl, it was somehow his fault. Some things never change. Can't believe he allowed Brady to run up and down the field on the Defense in the 4th quarter. Thx Russ
Cheers :irishdrinkers:

Careful with that game, though. He'll just argue that it was Russ's fault in the first place with all those interceptions; it was our defense that kept that game in reach. And he'd be right about that part.

But football is more than a tale of 45 minutes. It's about 60 minutes, and Russ was clutch at the end, along with some luck (onside kick, etc.).
It was RW's fault in that game..
He has had other games also where he has to get credit for coming
back after stinking it up earlier..Go ahead and pout over that
He is not worth $40 million..What are some of you smoking? :D

Seymour

Reaction score
jmahon316":3k9bmp73 said:
Let me ask this question then, since we're all in a toss-up. AT THIS POINT IN TIME, literally at this moment considering last year and the way Carroll wants to be a run-first team, as well as all of our glaring holes....

Would it be more beneficial to chance trading Russ to NYG for multiple (4+) picks, or renewing his contract and giving him top dollar (which he obviously wants, even though he's not the #1 QB in the NFL atm)

I've stated this before, once more. Pete Carroll will never get $35M worth from Russell with his antiquated offense and poor pass blocking IMO. So if Pete is here the entire time, then yes IMO we'd be better off trading Russ. I hate saying that, but I feel that is true.

On wanting #1 pay and not being consensus #1. It's about when your contract comes up because "today is far more lucrative then yesterday".

Seymour

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2xrllexj said:
Ad Hawk":2xrllexj said:
SoulfishHawk":2xrllexj said:
Down 16 w/5 minutes to go in the NFC Championship vs. the Packers. Russ flat out CARRIED that team to victory, period. He's clearly just average. I mean, Matty Hass was 10 times the QB that Russ ever has been :roll:
But yeah, in the Super Bowl, it was somehow his fault. Some things never change. Can't believe he allowed Brady to run up and down the field on the Defense in the 4th quarter. Thx Russ

Careful with that game, though. He'll just argue that it was Russ's fault in the first place with all those interceptions; it was our defense that kept that game in reach. And he'd be right about that part.

But football is more than a tale of 45 minutes. It's about 60 minutes, and Russ was clutch at the end, along with some luck (onside kick, etc.).

Not the same as you for sure.

This is not the $40M thread, that is a ridiculous "guess", and that is not the topic here.

John63

Reaction score
IndyHawk":22i3ztbn said:
Ad Hawk":22i3ztbn said:
SoulfishHawk":22i3ztbn said:

And there have been games where he was lights out and had to keep coming back because our defense stunk it up. Oh wait that sounds like every other QB in the league including Brady. bad games, and good games, All Qbs have them, for some reason some here seem to forget that. Also, FYI who said 40M? Not Wilsons camp.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
jmahon316":3kf39230 said:

And start all over... hoping the next qb is the next russel wilson

OP
OP
jmahon316

jmahon316

Reaction score
Uncle Si":7tm23w0u said:
jmahon316":7tm23w0u said:

Nick Foles was the QB who won the SB last year. No one (literally no one) thinks Foles is better than Wilson, yet he still has the same amount of rings as Wilson does.

Largent80

Reaction score
Brees also only has one ring, so the point is NOT just the QB but a myriad of sequences need to happen to get said ring.

BTW, Gollum only got one too. Then he lost it.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3ev2u322 said:
I've stated this before, once more. Pete Carroll will never get $35M worth from Russell with his antiquated offense and poor pass blocking IMO. So if Pete is here the entire time, then yes IMO we'd be better off trading Russ. I hate saying that, but I feel that is true.
I don't agree with your narrative. I think the pass blocking was significantly improved this past season - I think Solari did a fantastic job.

I know that's up for debate because of the sack numbers and "advanced metrics" like adjusted sack yards per attempt blah blah blah, but the eye test, time-to-pressure, etc., paint a different story, and one could argue that metrics based around how other QBs play have little bearing on how Wilson plays. Wilson is used differently; he plays a different role.

But what so many people here don't seem to understand is that the role Wilson plays is not one that another QB can easily fill. In its odd way, it is tailored specifically to Wilson's skill set. Longer routes? Why not - Wilson takes more time to throw than all but 2 other QBs. If he gets pressure, he is one of the best in the league at avoiding it.

It's all about windows of opportunity, and our offense is set up to provide those a handful of times per game. We need Wilson because he converts them at an impressively high rate. No scrub rookie is going to come in and duplicate that. Very few veteran QBs can throw the sideline rainbow to Lockett that Wilson did last year vs KC.

And that's why he's worth the money, and that's why we should retain him, and that's why it's NOT a waste in Carroll's offense.

https://www.seahawks.com/video/russell-wilson-lofts-perfect-45-yard-pass-to-tyler-lockett

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
He's not going anywhere this year unless they do decide to trade him. So would 3 first round picks be enough I don't know it's an interesting discussion but my guess is nothing at all is going to happen no contract signed and no trade . Now is the time to trade him though if your Seattle NY needs a QB and Wilson's camp obviously think a bigger market could only benefit them. If I was Wilson I might be leaning that way more endorsements bigger media more opportunity to enlarge your brand. I don't think he's worried about or afraid of change.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
jmahon316":2qyaxdv8 said:
Uncle Si":2qyaxdv8 said:
jmahon316":2qyaxdv8 said:

Nick Foles was the QB who won the SB last year. No one (literally no one) thinks Foles is better than Wilson, yet he still has the same amount of rings as Wilson does.

So does trent dilfer. Who failed just like foles did the next year.

Pointless comparison. Plus foles makes like 25 million now.

knownone

Reaction score
Feels like Russell and his camp are leaking this to make the Seahawks look like the bad guys. The Seahawks have no incentive to leak this kind of information. A self-imposed deadline in mid-April makes little sense unless Russ is trying to force their hand into giving him a massive deal.

Russ and his team don't want fans to get the impression he's greedy. Holding the Seahawks over the fire would hurt his team first reputation. If the Seahawk's don't meet his deadline, he can say he negotiated in good faith, and that it was the Seahawks who couldn't get it done.

I hope this isn't the case, and both sides get a deal done in the 'deadline'. I just can't get over what on the surface looks like a pedestrian PR/negotiation technique. Voluntary minicamp doesn't take place until the 3rd week of May. Training camp starts in late-July. Anyone with eyes can see who's making the deadline, and that the time frame it falls within doesn't add up to the statements being made. Russell doesn't want contract distractions 100+ days before he has to report?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
John63":32u0i2kx said:
IndyHawk":32u0i2kx said:
Ad Hawk":32u0i2kx said:
SoulfishHawk":32u0i2kx said:

And there have been games where he was lights out and had to keep coming back because our defense stunk it up. Oh wait that sounds like every other QB in the league including Brady. bad games, and good games, All Qbs have them, for some reason some here seem to forget that. Also, FYI who said 40M? Not Wilsons camp.
$40million is the number being tossed as the high point to 36 being the low
just to be higher than AR.
I don't really care as it's all too high and ridiculous no matter how it ends.

OP
OP
jmahon316

jmahon316

Reaction score
Uncle Si":z6xbm7dv said:
jmahon316":z6xbm7dv said:
Uncle Si":z6xbm7dv said:
jmahon316":z6xbm7dv said:

So does trent dilfer. Who failed just like foles did the next year.

Pointless comparison. Plus foles makes like 25 million now.

My point being is that teams win Superbowls, not QB's. Sure, they play a huge part but they don't carry every single game on their backs. If Wilson wants to be the highest paid, it might really hurt our chances of going and/or winning another Superbowl. That's all I'm trying to say.