Russell Wilson sets deadline for new contract

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I get the need for balance, and its a concern with this new ciontract. But its a very short list of teams that have won super bowls in the last 25 years without a top tier QB.

Its a significant risk either way

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I read a story on Facebook that quotes Russ as saying that he isn’t holding out or missing practices over contract negotiations and he doesn’t need to be distracted by them. If they don’t reach an agreement he wants to shut it down until after the season has ended. That certainly doesn’t sound as bad but I still don’t know where additional money comes from when the hawks already struggle to put adequate talent around him at present salary?

RCATES

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1o6qp9a9 said:
He's not going anywhere this year unless they do decide to trade him. So would 3 first round picks be enough I don't know it's an interesting discussion but my guess is nothing at all is going to happen no contract signed and no trade . Now is the time to trade him though if your Seattle NY needs a QB and Wilson's camp obviously think a bigger market could only benefit them. If I was Wilson I might be leaning that way more endorsements bigger media more opportunity to enlarge your brand. I don't think he's worried about or afraid of change.

No one is giving 3x 1st for Wilson. Only a player that can take over and dominate a game is worth that type of capital. Wilson folds like a stack of cards when the running game isn't clicking. His game is based off chaos and miscue's.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Uncle Si":fiozbaqm said:
I get the need for balance, and its a concern with this new ciontract. But its a very short list of teams that have won super bowls in the last 25 years without a top tier QB.

Exactly. Seattle could be throwing only 30% of the time and they'd still need a QB who can produce on those throws. Do people not realize that third-down throws are skill-intensive, improvisational and difficult regardless of their frequency?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
RCATES":3nkzuhll said:
Northwest Seahawk":3nkzuhll said:
He's not going anywhere this year unless they do decide to trade him. So would 3 first round picks be enough I don't know it's an interesting discussion but my guess is nothing at all is going to happen no contract signed and no trade . Now is the time to trade him though if your Seattle NY needs a QB and Wilson's camp obviously think a bigger market could only benefit them. If I was Wilson I might be leaning that way more endorsements bigger media more opportunity to enlarge your brand. I don't think he's worried about or afraid of change.

No one is giving 3x 1st for Wilson. Only a player that can take over and dominate a game is worth that type of capital. Wilson folds like a stack of cards when the running game isn't clicking. His game is based off chaos and miscue's.

Also completely inaccurate.

But hey... youre consistent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RCATES":24m3oc5x said:

- 2nd highest passer rating in NFL history
- 2nd highest TD to Int ratio all time last year
- Most wins of any QB ever through first seven seasons
- Highest yards per pass attempt rating through first seven seasons
- most 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives through first seven seasons

It's astounding to me how little credit we give Russell for being worthy of this new contract. Are you guys new fans? Like, you didn't see the previous 40 years of futility at the QB position, and think any QB can go to the playoffs every year, and win at the rate that Russell wins?

Crazy.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2bgyiwbi said:
RCATES":2bgyiwbi said:

- 2nd highest passer rating in NFL history
- 2nd highest TD to Int ratio all time last year
- Most wins of any QB ever through first seven seasons
- Highest yards per pass attempt rating through first seven seasons
- most 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives through first seven seasons

It's astounding to me how little credit we give Russell for being worthy of this new contract. Are you guys new fans? Like, you didn't see the previous 40 years of futility at the QB position, and think any QB can go to the playoffs every year, and win at the rate that Russell wins?

Crazy.

akin to talking to someone with their eyes closed and fingers in their ears... holding their breath

TreeRon

Reaction score
I can only think of one or two teams that would not trade multiple picks (incl. firsts) for Wilson. Some might even throw in their older "franchise qb's " as well.
All these professional football people must be idiots vs. some of the experts on here.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1statlpp said:
Uncle Si":1statlpp said:

Exactly. Seattle could be throwing only 30% of the time and they'd still need a QB who can produce on those throws. Do people not realize that third-down throws are skill-intensive, improvisational and difficult regardless of their frequency?

It's an interesting dilemma. Wilson, has shown he can carry an offense or compliment it. He has shown he can play safe or carefree. Each time he's been effective. But only a few seasons did it take the team to the highest of levels.

But everyone thinks that it would be as simple as trading RW for picks, using those picks to supplement the defense and maybe O-line and then draft RWs college equivalent.

The issue with this logic is that you need to draft RWs equivalent, as well as Shermans, ETs, Kams and grab UDFAs like Baldwin and Kearse, etc.

Its a massive undertaking full of many, many potential pitfalls and mistakes. Whereas, you know what RW will give you, what he can provide the team. The main issue is if that salary handcuffs the teams flexibility so much that they have to hope late round picks all become Shermans, Baldwins, etc.

There's no right answer. But those so dismissively ridding the team of RW to repeat the winning ways of 2013-14 seem quite naive to how much of an impact RW had in those wins.

Tical21

Reaction score
I would also argue that no quarterback has had a better cumulative defense for their first seven years or better cumulative running game for their first seven years.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":2m0x6hcj said:
I would also argue that no quarterback has had a better cumulative defense for their first seven years or better cumulative running game for their first seven years.

7? RW has played around some average defenses, especially of late. He's also had to survive some very poor rushing offenses (and o-lines) and nearly threw himself to an MVP

Lots of QBs have had great defenses and run games. Most of them failed to compliment them well enough to win multiple titles and subsequently were replaced.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":vp2aevwv said:

Not sure if you've noticed, but our defense hasn't been all that great the past 2-3 seasons, and up until last year our run game was a mess for three straight years.

But you know what was the one consistent factor that kept the ship afloat and headed in the right direction? Russell.

Any lesser QB behind center and we were probably looking at a complete teardown at every position, including the coach and GM..............because without Russell the past 2-3 years we don't even go 9-7 or 10-6 and make the playoffs with this roster.

btw, we're not even getting into the intangibles of what Russell mean to the city of Seattle, and how he's the face of our sports city, both locally and nationally. He's the Griffey of this era.

Some of you guys want to trade him or not pay him? For what, to save maybe 10-15M off a much lesser QB's salary? That's insane.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gd67hel3 said:
Tical21":gd67hel3 said:

Not sure if you've noticed, but our defense hasn't been all that great the past 2-3 seasons, and up until last year our run game was a mess for three straight years.

But you know what was the one consistent factor that kept the ship afloat and headed in the right direction? Russell.

Any lesser QB behind center and we were probably looking at a complete teardown at every position, including the coach and GM..............because without Russell the past 2-3 years we don't even go 9-7 or 10-6 and make the playoffs with this roster.

btw, we're not even getting into the intangibles of what Russell mean to the city of Seattle, and how he's the face of our sports city, both locally and nationally. He's the Griffey of this era.

Some of you guys want to trade him or not pay him? For what, to save maybe 10-15M off a much lesser QB's salary? That's insane.
I want to save 35-40.

I'm saying over his seven years, if you average his defensive rating, and rushing rating, including the bad years, i can't think of any quarterback who would have higher. Maybe Elway over some stretch? But I doubt it.

I think there were conservatively 25 quarterbacks in the league that would have won us one ring over the past seven years with the rosters we have rolled out there.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":30fj33kh said:
Sgt. Largent":30fj33kh said:
Tical21":30fj33kh said:

I want to save 35-40.

I'm saying over his seven years, if you average his defensive rating, and rushing rating, including the bad years, i can't think of any quarterback who would have higher. Maybe Elway over some stretch? But I doubt it.

I think there were conservatively 25 quarterbacks in the league that would have won us one ring over the past seven years with the rosters we have rolled out there.

Who were the 25?

And how much were they costing?

Wanting to save 35-40 million means you want a QB basically playing for free. Which of the rookies over the last 7 years would've did for this team what RW did?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Tical21":11lqot6j said:

That's weasel wording. A team in any particular NFL year doesn't have the average; they have what they have. And after 2015, Wilson's supporting cast dropped off. He still made the playoffs twice, and would have been thrice with a competent kicker. And yes, making the playoffs is a valid measure of quality.

Tical21":11lqot6j said:

That might be the most hilarious sentence in the history of this board. Wilson has done too much on his own on particular downs, pulled off too many stellar improvisations, shown too much accuracy, and carried too many tough games for this statement to be valid. Our elite defense wasn't saving anyone against the Steelers in 2015, or the Texans in 2017, or the Eagles in 2016. They don't carry every game.

Does anyone even remember 2013? We did not 2007-Patriots our way through that season, blasting forty-burgers left and right, steamrolling teams' will with no question of our dominance. We stumbled through it like a drunk. We almost lost at home to the winless Bucs. Nobody was thinking it was going to be a Super Bowl season until about the Saints game. Wilson's play was a big part of the game - he took a big step forward that day.

You need a complete team. That includes an elite QB.

I'd say there were maybe four QB's who could have done what Russ did. You're badly overestimating the role of the rest of the team, outstanding as they were, AND forgetting what Russ did on his own when only he could do it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RCATES":kkw0355v said:
Northwest Seahawk":kkw0355v said:

No one is giving 3x 1st for Wilson. Only a player that can take over and dominate a game is worth that type of capital. Wilson folds like a stack of cards when the running game isn't clicking.

You must have missed 2017.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":33vtzgtt said:
RCATES":33vtzgtt said:
Northwest Seahawk":33vtzgtt said:

No one is giving 3x 1st for Wilson. Only a player that can take over and dominate a game is worth that type of capital. Wilson folds like a stack of cards when the running game isn't clicking.

You must have missed 2017.

You are around the 4th person to bring that up, me included. He claims to be a season ticket holder, so he has just re-written the history of the entire season in his mind the way I see it.

Attachments

• Wlson-Top5-2017.jpg
    Wlson-Top5-2017.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 295

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah and the 25 QB's that could have done the same thing Wilson did were getting paid how much? Put the QB's in a list along with their salaries and then lets talk.

Chawker

Reaction score
Is it worth paying one player 30 plus million a year...NO But it does open up all new kinds of possibilitys for our team moving forward. YES! :2thumbs:

Latest posts