Russell Wilson "should have won MVP," says Anthony Barr

Steve2222

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":q4mdps9x said:
I think the right guy got it. Russell Wilson really struggled at the end of the year, and his team didn't even make the playoffs as a result. If a football team doesn't even make the playoffs an MVP is an automatic no go in the eyes of the media. It is also mentioning that there is some major hyperbole about our receivers. We had Graham, Baldwin, and Richardson, that is not a bad receiving core by any stretch of the imagination.

Steelers
Texans
Vikings
Packers
Patriots
Rams
Chiefs
Eagles
Bengals
Lions
Redskins
Buccaneers
Saints
Falcons
Raiders
Jacksonville
Chargers

Are all better than the Seahawks WR corps last year. So at best, his WR threat was below league average last year. Paul Richardson is a league average WR, a good #3 option, poor #2.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":22y4zxyn said:
Hawk1217":22y4zxyn said:
Wilson by definition of MVP should have won it. However the true definition of MVP is not what they look at, you must also win, which means you need help, help Wilson did not get.

Again, it depends on how one defines MVP, Anthony!, er, I mean Hawk1217.

Russ didn't do enough to help his team win when it counted, at the end of the season. Perhaps that mattered to enough voters, even if his QB rating was higher than Brady's.

lol well, that took all of one week. As I watched this forum I saw this tactic, call someone, by a name of someone not well liked or who has a strong opposing opinion in an attempt to alienate them, and hope it catches on. So nothing new there. Its one of the reasons this site does not get a lot of new posters.

Now you could be right perhaps to some he did not do enough to win. although being the only player in NFL history to account for over 80% of the offensive yards and over 95% of the offensive TDs seems like he had to do too much.

If you had read all my posts, which you obviously did not, I said "Wilson by definition of MVP should have won it. However the true definition of MVP is not what they look at, you must also win, which means you need help, help Wilson did not get." Notice the part where I say you must also win.

Seafan

Reaction score
I vote for RW to be MVP of the Super Bowl.

These awards are silly pleasures of fans. I want to see the team win some playoff games.

There is no doubt that a big part of the Hawk offense last year was improvisation by RW but no one should belittle the contributions by Richardson, Graham and Baldwin to those crazy big plays.

I'm just glad Pete woke up and realized you can't depend on heroic crazy plays as your offense and the team needed to get some real talent at OC. I'm not saying Schott is awesome or anything but if Pete had not made changes this team was headed for 5-11 really fast.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Seafan":jvrxgjq7 said:
I vote for RW to be MVP of the Super Bowl.

These awards are silly pleasures of fans. I want to see the team win some playoff games.

There is no doubt that a big part of the Hawk offense last year was improvisation by RW but no one should belittle the contributions by Richardson, Graham and Baldwin to those crazy big plays.

I'm just glad Pete woke up and realized you can't depend on heroic crazy plays as your offense and the team needed to get some real talent at OC. I'm not saying Schott is awesome or anything but if Pete had not made changes this team was headed for 5-11 really fast.

This is the truth. We might have a chance with a top tier QB, but the rest of the team still has to be good. Rodgers and Brees are good examples of QBs playing really well but not having much to show for it since 2011. You can throw Ben in there too. IMO it's still better to have the elite QB and pay whatever you need for him than to gamble on a rookie and load up on D - it worked for us once but I doubt it will again if we jettison RW.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Hawk1217":r9vyit7d said:
lol well, that took all of one week. As I watched this forum I saw this tactic, call someone, by a name of someone not well liked or who has a strong opposing opinion in an attempt to alienate them, and hope it catches on. So nothing new there. Its one of the reasons this site does not get a lot of new posters.
And here I thought it was the persistent, unmoderated logical fallacies and rampant negativism.

Hawk1217":r9vyit7d said:
Now you could be right perhaps to some he did not do enough to win. although being the only player in NFL history to account for over 80% of the offensive yards and over 95% of the offensive TDs seems like he had to do too much.

If you had read all my posts, which you obviously did not, I said "Wilson by definition of MVP should have won it. However the true definition of MVP is not what they look at, you must also win, which means you need help, help Wilson did not get." Notice the part where I say you must also win.
Didn't do enough to win / couldn't do enough to win - splitting hairs there a bit, but the takeaway from it is you do have to win.

I thought Russ had a good year overall, but he did have some bad games, and imagine what his numbers would have been like if he started playing in the first half instead of waiting until the gatorage and oranges.

Still, he did the best he could given the shortcomings of the team around him, and it was probably more than any other QB did. Unfortunately, MVP is not about that - otherwise who would possibly challenge Wagner at defensive MVP? Whether or not it was humanly possible for Wilson to do wnough for the hawks to win, the unwritten rule says you have to be a winner to be MVP. No playoffs, no MVP.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1mheq3r3 said:
Hawk1217":1mheq3r3 said:
And here I thought it was the persistent, unmoderated logical fallacies and rampant negativism.

Hawk1217":1mheq3r3 said:

Didn't do enough to win / couldn't do enough to win - splitting hairs there a bit, but the takeaway from it is you do have to win.

I thought Russ had a good year overall, but he did have some bad games, and imagine what his numbers would have been like if he started playing in the first half instead of waiting until the gatorage and oranges.

Still, he did the best he could given the shortcomings of the team around him, and it was probably more than any other QB did. Unfortunately, MVP is not about that - otherwise who would possibly challenge Wagner at defensive MVP? Whether or not it was humanly possible for Wilson to do wnough for the hawks to win, the unwritten rule says you have to be a winner to be MVP. No playoffs, no MVP.

Nicely written, I agree.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":18r04uu6 said:
Hawk1217":18r04uu6 said:

Hawk1217":18r04uu6 said:

Exactly what I was trying to say, only you did so more eloquently.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
MVP? Probably not. But if Wide Right Walsh doesn't blow 2 games, he lead the team to 11 wins behind a historically bad O Line. He's not the best player in the league, but you could argue he's the most valuable to HIS TEAM.

Steve2222

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ax2e1cd said:
MVP? Probably not. But if Wide Right Walsh doesn't blow 2 games, he lead the team to 11 wins behind a historically bad O Line. He's not the best player in the league, but you could argue he's the most valuable to HIS TEAM.

Nah hes the best player in the league. Unless you want to admit Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Wentz would have put up the same or better numbers with his supporting cast last year, to include brain dead Bevell and Cable.

Decimation

Reaction score
With a clutch kicker I’m sure we would be singing a different tune about this past season. Then again, we wouldn’t have gotten the changes we needed on the coaching staff, so in the long run that could pay off.

RW had an amazing year and I’m excited to see what he can do next year with a revamped offense.

Seymour

Reaction score
Decimation":32b7yos9 said:
With a clutch kicker I’m sure we would be singing a different tune about this past season. Then again, we wouldn’t have gotten the changes we needed on the coaching staff, so in the long run that could pay off.

RW had an amazing year and I’m excited to see what he can do next year with a revamped offense.

Exactly! Blair Walsh saved our franchise from further misery of under performance. He also didn't give up 42 points to the Rams at home.

chris98251

Reaction score
Decimation":3mfp3kgo said:

And with a better play we would have 2 Super Bowl wins and furthermore if Jerome Bettis wasn't retiring and had the Refs making sympathy calls for the Steelers we may have had three.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Aros":3ub58x0v said:
Spin Doctor":3ub58x0v said:
I think the right guy got it. Russell Wilson really struggled at the end of the year, and his team didn't even make the playoffs as a result. If a football team doesn't even make the playoffs an MVP is an automatic no go in the eyes of the media. It is also mentioning that there is some major hyperbole about our receivers. We had Graham, Baldwin, and Richardson, that is not a bad receiving core by any stretch of the imagination.

(This post isn't aimed at you btw, just general)...

I agree he fizzled at the end but come on man. NO player in the NFL was MORE VALUABLE to their team then Russell Damn Straight Wilson. Think of the term. Most Valuable Player. To me, it's not about popular vote. It's not even about stats. It's, straight up...What player is most valuable to the success of their team?

In 2017? Despite the drop off? It's Russell Wilson and it's not even close.

Pardon me, but...

(mic drop)

Wilson is a vital part of this teams success, but lots of guys fit this description. The Packers showed what they are without Aaron Rodgers too. If you think the Patriots sniff a near repeat or even a playoff berth with Brian Hoyer under center, I don't know what to tell you.

MVP's get their teams to the playoffs, Russell Wilson (no pun intended) fell short.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Decimation":m2433y4r said:

Would we really though? What honestly changes? We make the playoffs, maybe win a max of one game and then do the usual road division playoff game farewell?

This team was not a reliable kicker away from a Super Bowl. They had very serious issues on both sides of the ball. Wilson, while he played great in stretches, was part of the reason the wheels came off at the end too.

Steve2222

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3pomrmo7 said:
Other than Rodgers, I doubt any other QB would have the success that Wilson has had in this offense.

Rodgers would have gotten hurt behind this OL. He is not as durable as Wilson.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Put Brady behind our offensive line, and he would have been on IR before the 1st quarter of the season was over. And this team would have been 2-14.

And there's only one defensive stat that matters in the NFL, scoring defense. You can use all the acronyms and formulas you want, but the #1 defense in the NFL isn't the one that has pretty numbers, or the one that allows the fewest yards, it's the one that allows the fewest points.

Russell can only do so much, the rest of the team failed him. He didn't have time to launch deep throws, and it's a wonder he played as well as he did at the end of the season after spending 12 weeks getting hammered, and running for his life. NO QB in the NFL could have done as well as Russell Wilson did last year on a horrid team.

Yet he never complained. I guarantee you Aaron Rodgers or Kaepernick would have been whining by week 5.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Just want to say one thing about Wilson, and you guys know I love him as out QB and love his uncouth play style so don't think I am just dumping on him.

Wilson can be a coach-killer.

Someone like Bill Walsh would script a number of plays, some of which were designed to do nothing more than to show a look they would later go back to with a different play called. Basically they would create "tells" for the defense to pick up on, and then exploit the defense later by giving a "tell" and doing something different.

Wilson tries to make every play work, and will go off-script early and often. It almost doesn't matter what looks we show, because any look results in Benny-Hill scrambling and an improbable pass down the field. The OC can't set things up for later, or really even get much information from plays that are designed to see certain reactions.

Part of Wilson's maturity will come from simply running the play by the book when he needs to, so that the OC can actually do his job.

That factor alone may reduce his MVP status for some people, and I can completely understand that. Improvisation is great, but in a chess match played by masters, you kind of have to follow where they tell you to go because every feint has meaning.

To be fair we haven't exactly had masters calling the shots, and at times I wanted to see what the offense would look like if we left the play calling to Wilson from the outset instead of calling some fail pass play from the sideline that will only work if we queue up the kazoos.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":8na792dy said:
Just want to say one thing about Wilson, and you guys know I love him as out QB and love his uncouth play style so don't think I am just dumping on him.

Someone like Bill Walsh would script a number of plays, some of which were designed to do nothing more than to show a look they would later go back to with a different play called. Basically they would create "tells" for the defense to pick up on, and then exploit the defense later by giving a "tell" and doing something different.

Wilson tries to make every play work, and will go off-script early and often. It almost doesn't matter what looks we show, because any look results in Benny-Hill scrambling and an improbable pass down the field. The OC can't set things up for later, or really even get much information from plays that are designed to see certain reactions.

Part of Wilson's maturity will come from simply running the play by the book when he needs to, so that the OC can actually do his job.

That factor alone may reduce his MVP status for some people, and I can completely understand that. Improvisation is great, but in a chess match played by masters, you kind of have to follow where they tell you to go because every feint has meaning.

To be fair we haven't exactly had masters calling the shots, and at times I wanted to see what the offense would look like if we left the play calling to Wilson from the outset instead of calling some fail pass play from the sideline that will only work if we queue up the kazoos.

So while I get what you are saying, I don't agree at all. not much else can be said given there was no link or anything to support the thought. Also the Idea he can be a coach killer is absurd. I could easily argue if he needs to improvise so much the coach should be fired.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawk1217":6ctvgpsp said:
KiwiHawk":6ctvgpsp said:

So while I get what you are saying, I don't agree at all. not much else can be said given there was no link or anything to support the thought. Also the Idea he can be a coach killer is absurd. I could easily argue if he needs to improvise so much the coach should be fired.
I think Kiwi has good points(s)
There isn't going to be links to support what he saying but if you really understand the game
it is much more than you see on tv right?
There is also the fact I will add that due to RW height there are plays that cannot be ran that
other QB's can do all the time such as quick slants..Passes right up the gut- the kind of stuff
that Brady and AR can do in a hairs time to wipe out blitzes..
Do I need links to support this?No because it is clear as day when you watch the Hawks enough
to know that our QB has weakness just like any other QB and sure he has strengths as well
so don't take me wrong ..I just think some refuse to see reality some times when it comes to
RW..