Russell Wilson "should have won MVP," says Anthony Barr

Seymour

Reaction score
Funny thing about the title. I once met Russell's cousin Anthony. Huge Hawks fan!! Small world, and many Anthony's seem to REALLY love the guy. :mrgreen:

adeltaY

Reaction score
I really disagree, but maybe we are coming from different perspectives. What I'm trying to say is if you are evaluating how safe a QB is with the ball, interceptable passes is a more wholistic metric for judging that trait. I'd argue passer rating is a "worthless" statistic by your philosophy as it takes into account about as many different stats as interceptable passes.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would also want to know how many of those interceptions took place when playing from behind with less then two minutes and Wilson is taking more chances with the ball then he would in the first 58 minutes ?

adeltaY

Reaction score
chris98251":1c9xn2rz said:
I would also want to know how many of those interceptions took place when playing from behind with less then two minutes and Wilson is taking more chances with the ball then he would in the first 58 minutes ?

A great question Chris. I'm scanning my memory files and nothing comes up but I'll check later. FOs stat takes into account Hail Mary INTs as does Faheys so for example Watson's third INT against us doesn't count against him. It would be nice to expand that out to what you are talking about as well.

Actually, now that I think about it, wasn't Wilson'sINT against the Texans within two minutes on an attempted game winning drive?

Hawk1217

Reaction score
adeltaY":pad863jb said:
I really disagree, but maybe we are coming from different perspectives. What I'm trying to say is if you are evaluating how safe a QB is with the ball, interceptable passes is a more wholistic metric for judging that trait. I'd argue passer rating is a "worthless" statistic by your philosophy as it takes into account about as many different stats as interceptable passes.

In theory, I agree but as has been pointed out there are too many variables into interceptable passes than simply it's interceptable. I mean technically every pass is interceptable if someone is in the right place, if the wind holds a ball being thrown out of bounds it's interceptable if someone is in the area, etc etc. To me it is just a meaningless stat that says little by itself without a lot of context around it. Another example 3rd and long so you through it really long (essential a punt) and see if you can make something happen. Like I said way too many variables and really a worthless stat. Also getting back the stats it was far from the 33 originally mentioned, and he was far from the worse. The only linked showed was FO and they had his adjustable at only 15. So unless another link pops up that is what we have and again far from the worse, and far form something to worry about.

adeltaY

Reaction score
So you're saying that we should only look at actual INT numbers to judge how safe a QB is with the ball because only the result matters not the process?

In that case would you believe Matt Ryan's TD/INT ratio accurately reflected how well he played this year given eight of those INTs were not his fault? Source: http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_ ... ball-focus

Hawk1217

Reaction score
adeltaY":1hrbilat said:
So you're saying that we should only look at actual INT numbers to judge how safe a QB is with the ball because only the result matters not the process?

In that case would you believe Matt Ryan's TD/INT ratio accurately reflected how well he played this year given eight of those INTs were not his fault? Source: http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_ ... ball-focus

One what I said was the only proof of any fact we have it from FO who have Wilsons number at 15 far below your 33 number, and therefore nothing to worry about. Also as it relates to the whole interceptable number there are many variables to take into account, variable that we have no way of knowing, that makes it worthless. As to Matt Ryan, frankly I don't care, he is not the QB of my team, nor a QB I would want the QB of my team to aspire too. Also, I might add so far you are the only one who seems to think it is a big deal. If you really think it is a big deal, then you should also think catchable balls stat is important, catchable TDs should be important. I can go on and on with these what if stats, however, in the end, they are just what if. Once again the stats is a what if stat, I could easily say what if a receiver had caught the ball instead of the defender. What if, a great thing for this looking for something that does not exist. Also once again even though I believe it is worthless, Wilsons interceptable passes was only 15, 4 more than his actual total and far from the worse in the NFL, and as such is nothing to worry about.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Ah fair enough. I'm a Hawks fan too but I love the analysis of the game and learning about the different stats we can use to evaluate players so yes all the stats you listed are valuable to me. I did post a link to the PFF stat that had him at 21st in the league in turnover worthy throws, which is a bit worrisome IMO but looking at his body of work over six years, I'm confident it was an aberration he will bounce back from, especially with better protection.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
adeltaY":1x7ba6uu said:
Ah fair enough. I'm a Hawks fan too but I love the analysis of the game and learning about the different stats we can use to evaluate players so yes all the stats you listed are valuable to me. I did post a link to the PFF stat that had him at 21st in the league in turnover worthy throws, which is a bit worrisome IMO but looking at his body of work over six years, I'm confident it was an aberration he will bounce back from, especially with better protection.

Agreed!!!