Russell Wilson turnovers drove 2020 Seahawks’ record

Jville

Reaction score
Somebody wrote an informative article on the subject of quarterback turnovers as it relates to wins and loses.

Russell Wilson turnovers drove 2020 Seahawks’ record >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/9/8/22659130/nfl-seahawks-russell-wilson-turnovers-jimmy-garoppolo-jared-goff-kyler-murray-nick-mullens-nfc-west[/urltargetblank]

....................... enjoy :biggthumpup:

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Its almost as if Pete Carroll knows what he's on about.

John63

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":k7hqalmu said:
Its almost as if Pete Carroll knows what he's on about.

wow really, were the article saying who a bad defense can cost you games, or no run game can cost you games. this is the stupidest thing I have seen anyone with any football sense know TOs hurt a team. Just like a bad defense, no run game bad ST play. Also, weres that article about how Wilson's play early on carried this team while the defsne was all but missing?

No what else drives the 2020 record have a defense that gives up over 20 points a game, and just under 400 yards a game.

FYI it's not like PC is some genius anyone with a pulse knows TOs are not good, But any good coach does not neuter his offense instead finds what's wrong and adjusts.

Since the article put all the blame for the 4 losses on Wilson let's then remember the 12 wins are also on Wilson,

I agree INts are bad, but it happens to every Qb. Sometimes it's not even on the QB it's on the Wr letting it go through their hands, but either way, it is still bad, just like fumbles are. But you still don't neuter your offense because of it you adjust. PC admitted what the defense was doing and no one adjusted. That is the big thing here is a lack of adjusting.

Also and again 12-4 enough said.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
toffee":3qa31h43 said:
Was Wilson's turnovers caused by letting him cook?

It looked to me like the rest of the league playing a 2-high Safety D against us after they saw it work, and then Scheissenhammer not having any way to counter such a brilliant and revolutionary development... Hopefully we solved that problem over the offseason!

toffee

Reaction score
GeekHawk":753eg7p9 said:
toffee":753eg7p9 said:

It looked to me like the rest of the league playing a 2-high Safety D against us after they saw it work, and then Scheissenhammer not having any way to counter such a brilliant and revolutionary development... Hopefully we solved that problem over the offseason!

Since 2-high safety D wasn't a never before brand new invention, the inability to counter it was the Great mystery of 2020.

Throwdown

Reaction score
toffee":70c02tlu said:
GeekHawk":70c02tlu said:
toffee":70c02tlu said:

Since 2-high safety D wasn't a never before brand new invention, the inability to counter it was the Great mystery of 2020.

Russ can’t do it.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Surprised the Jags hired Brian Schottenheimer as their passing game coordinator. His play calling became predictable and anemic. You have to be willing to evolve in this league

John63

Reaction score
Throwdown":e9ob3j3c said:
toffee":e9ob3j3c said:
GeekHawk":e9ob3j3c said:
toffee":e9ob3j3c said:

Russ can’t do it.

I guess you were not watching in 2015 when he did, hmm. Or any time we went uptempo and Wilson called the plays.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":23zu3tvo said:
Throwdown":23zu3tvo said:
toffee":23zu3tvo said:
GeekHawk":23zu3tvo said:

Russ can’t do it.

I guess you were not watching in 2015 when he did, hmm. Or any time we went uptempo and Wilson called the plays.

So how come he couldn't break the Tampa 2 Code then.

He forgot Tony's Dungy's Number ?

Mike Holmgren never returned his calls.

Brett Farve was doing his workouts to un retire.

Schotty takes away Phone Privileges during the season ?

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":ufuqiih8 said:
John63":ufuqiih8 said:
Throwdown":ufuqiih8 said:
toffee":ufuqiih8 said:

Russ can’t do it.

To me, the inability to counter 2-high safety was a mystery, and am intrigued to find out why. We do know that Schotty wasn't very imaginative, we also know that Russ was empowered to change plays in the huddle or LOS. Somehow, for half a season, we just allowed 2-high safety to limit our offense.

Any XO guys here that could decipher this mystery?

AgentDib

Reaction score
Regardless of the stuff about Russ this isn't a great article. Aggregating W/L records to tell you how important the QB is doesn't really work. It tells you more about how good the team itself is, and even then there is a huge range between 2, 3, 4, or 5 turnovers. Many stacked teams can overcome two turnovers whereas it's very rare to overcome five of them. Lumping all those situations together isn't interesting or useful.

In my view the better way to look at NFL offense and turnovers together is within the framework of a risk-reward tradeoff. The payoff for a more aggressive offense is a higher expected value in efficiency per play, and the risk is increased turnover potential which could lose you more than you gained if you get unlucky. I'm not trying to pile on Russ, DK or Swain here, but that pick six in the wild card game was a catastrophe. In a single play we fell from being 57% likely to win to being 29% likely to win and as a result that single play contributed to much of the off-season turmoil.

If you are the favored team you should be minimizing risk while the underdog should be aggressively seeking risk.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":199meiue said:
John63":199meiue said:
Throwdown":199meiue said:
toffee":199meiue said:

Russ can’t do it.

No he could only do what the called play allowed him to do.

John63

Reaction score
toffee":2nmc18qv said:
chris98251":2nmc18qv said:
John63":2nmc18qv said:
Throwdown":2nmc18qv said:
Russ can’t do it.

To me, the inability to counter 2-high safety was a mystery, and am intrigued to find out why. We do know that Schotty wasn't very imaginative, we also know that Russ was empowered to change plays in the huddle or LOS. Somehow, for half a season, we just allowed 2-high safety to limit our offense.

actually incorrect we don't know that in fact, we know the opposite. Wilson said under the new offense he can change any play at any time unlike the previous where he could only do that when in hurry up. So no he could not change anything to anything.

"The real emphasis Shane Waldron has put in his new Seahawks offense hinges on Wilson expanding his freedom to any play in a larger playbook, at any time." In other words, he did not have this freedom before.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
John63":1evtxj99 said:
chris98251":1evtxj99 said:
John63":1evtxj99 said:
Throwdown":1evtxj99 said:
Russ can’t do it.

No he could only do what the called play allowed him to do.
Wut?He sure as hell had no problem trying to do what he wanted
outside of the play call(breaking away from the play)

John63

Reaction score
AgentDib":3j4tucz8 said:
Regardless of the stuff about Russ this isn't a great article. Aggregating W/L records to tell you how important the QB is doesn't really work. It tells you more about how good the team itself is, and even then there is a huge range between 2, 3, 4, or 5 turnovers. Many stacked teams can overcome two turnovers whereas it's very rare to overcome five of them. Lumping all those situations together isn't interesting or useful.

In my view the better way to look at NFL offense and turnovers together is within the framework of a risk-reward tradeoff. The payoff for a more aggressive offense is a higher expected value in efficiency per play, and the risk is increased turnover potential which could lose you more than you gained if you get unlucky. I'm not trying to pile on Russ, DK or Swain here, but that pick six in the wild card game was a catastrophe. In a single play we fell from being 57% likely to win to being 29% likely to win and as a result that single play contributed to much of the off-season turmoil.

If you are the favored team you should be minimizing risk while the underdog should be aggressively seeking risk.

agreed the other thing we don't know is how far behind were we when the Int happened, the example you could have an INT at the end of the half that doe soothing, and then another at the end of the game down 2 scores again means nothing also was the INT on the QB or the Wr. etc etc. For example, most put the Hass int in we want the ball and we will win-game on the Wr, well Wilson had at least 2 int that went through the receiver's hands. it was a lazy article but it got the clicks the writer wanted.

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":3i32aq3o said:
chris98251":3i32aq3o said:
John63":3i32aq3o said:
Throwdown":3i32aq3o said:
Russ can’t do it.

To counter it you can do a couple things, quick patterns, slants, hooks, timing routes to the edge all out of same set and YAC runs, Screens in the flat since the WR cleared that area taking the CB off run support, use the TE up the seam on a delay .

Most LB's are setting up to stop the run against us, those routes and plays should be there for the taking, this makes the LB's drop and brings the safeties up, you then can run the ball better or have deeper routes without the cover two.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":3qkjen0k said:
toffee":3qkjen0k said:
chris98251":3qkjen0k said:
John63":3qkjen0k said:

To counter it you can do a couple things, quick patterns, slants, hooks, timing routes to the edge all out of same set and YAC runs, Screens in the flat since the WR cleared that area taking the CB off run support, use the TE up the seam on a delay .

Most LB's are setting up to stop the run against us, those routes and plays should be there for the taking, this makes the LB's drop and brings the safeties up, you then can run the ball better or have deeper routes without the cover two.

that is correct on how to counter, something Schotty did not seem to want to do or call, but Waldron appears to not have a problem with it. Somethign the OC before Schotty was willing to do at times as well.