Russell Wilson turnovers drove 2020 Seahawks’ record

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
If you want to punish the Tampa 2 you have to punish it by running the ball effectively. I thought our run game took a big step back from where it was the past 2 seasons prior. Need to get that back on track as well as some of the concepts in the quick and intermediate passing game.

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":cqeqkrve said:
toffee":cqeqkrve said:
chris98251":cqeqkrve said:
John63":cqeqkrve said:
I guess you were not watching in 2015 when he did, hmm. Or any time we went uptempo and Wilson called the plays.

So how come he couldn't break the Tampa 2 Code then.

He forgot Tony's Dungy's Number ?

Mike Holmgren never returned his calls.

Brett Farve was doing his workouts to un retire.

Schotty takes away Phone Privileges during the season ?

To me, the inability to counter 2-high safety was a mystery, and am intrigued to find out why. We do know that Schotty wasn't very imaginative, we also know that Russ was empowered to change plays in the huddle or LOS. Somehow, for half a season, we just allowed 2-high safety to limit our offense.

Any XO guys here that could decipher this mystery?

To counter it you can do a couple things, quick patterns, slants, hooks, timing routes to the edge all out of same set and YAC runs, Screens in the flat since the WR cleared that area taking the CB off run support, use the TE up the seam on a delay .

Most LB's are setting up to stop the run against us, those routes and plays should be there for the taking, this makes the LB's drop and brings the safeties up, you then can run the ball better or have deeper routes without the cover two.

One would think that Schotty and Russ were aware of these counter measures? Why wasn't them deployed? Regardless let's hope this season would be less frustrating to watch.

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":yol6r979 said:
chris98251":yol6r979 said:
toffee":yol6r979 said:
chris98251":yol6r979 said:

To me, the inability to counter 2-high safety was a mystery, and am intrigued to find out why. We do know that Schotty wasn't very imaginative, we also know that Russ was empowered to change plays in the huddle or LOS. Somehow, for half a season, we just allowed 2-high safety to limit our offense.

To counter it you can do a couple things, quick patterns, slants, hooks, timing routes to the edge all out of same set and YAC runs, Screens in the flat since the WR cleared that area taking the CB off run support, use the TE up the seam on a delay .

Most LB's are setting up to stop the run against us, those routes and plays should be there for the taking, this makes the LB's drop and brings the safeties up, you then can run the ball better or have deeper routes without the cover two.

One would think that Schotty and Russ were aware of these counter measures? Why wasn't them deployed? Regardless let's hope this season would be less frustrating to watch.

That is why anyone with a Football knowledge base is scratching their heads............

hawkfan68

Reaction score
GeekHawk":jmmm7oa5 said:
toffee":jmmm7oa5 said:
Was Wilson's turnovers caused by letting him cook?

It looked to me like the rest of the league playing a 2-high Safety D against us after they saw it work, and then Scheissenhammer not having any way to counter such a brilliant and revolutionary development... Hopefully we solved that problem over the offseason!

To be fair the Seahawks weren’t the only team to struggle against it. The Packers and Chiefs also had problems with it too. Those teams are regarded as more potent offenses than the Seahawks. Led by QBs who arguably are rated higher than RW.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
It's not a mystery why Russell Wilson couldn't beat the two high safety look, it has been covered by several football analyst. They all came to the same conclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnarei9FgGo - Samuel Gold breakdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6BUU_FZAPE&t=941s - Kurt Warner breakdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opdh_aJhmME - Billy Stephans breakdown

A lot of our passing woes fell on Russell Wilson. That is not to say that he isn't a good QB, he is. He just has some deficits in his game. Every player has those deficits -- but defenses really were able to exploit those because we passed early and often -- they became more pronounced.

Wilson's pre-snap reads seemed to be a big issue. All of these videos kind of showcase the issues Wilson had here, especially when defenses changed things around.

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1xgl418h said:
GeekHawk":1xgl418h said:
toffee":1xgl418h said:
Was Wilson's turnovers caused by letting him cook?

It looked to me like the rest of the league playing a 2-high Safety D against us after they saw it work, and then Scheissenhammer not having any way to counter such a brilliant and revolutionary development... Hopefully we solved that problem over the offseason!

To be fair the Seahawks weren’t the only team to struggle against it. The Packers and Chiefs also had problems with it too. Those teams are regarded as more potent offenses than the Seahawks. Led by QBs who arguably are rated higher than RW.

8 games in a row?

toffee

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2jskwzmo said:
It's not a mystery why Russell Wilson couldn't beat the two high safety look, it has been covered by several football analyst. They all came to the same conclusion.

A lot of our passing woes fell on Russell Wilson. That is not to say that he isn't a good QB, he is. He just has some deficits in his game. Every player has those deficits -- but defenses really were able to exploit those because we passed early and often -- they became more pronounced.

Wilson's pre-snap reads seemed to be a big issue. All of these videos kind of showcase the issues Wilson had here, especially when defenses changed things around.

thanks for the links, very educational, and one learned, it seems like Pete might knew and has been covering Wilson's deficits by forcing the opposing defense to respect our running game.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
toffee":1qj7chgn said:
Spin Doctor":1qj7chgn said:

thanks for the links, very educational, and one learned, it seems like Pete might knew and has been covering Wilson's deficits by forcing the opposing defense to respect our running game.
I think it's a multitude of things that were going on in 2020. To me Russell Wilson looked like he didn't trust what he was seeing, nor did he look comfortable passing from the pocket. In some ways, I don't think he's ever looked very comfortable hanging out there. He thrives on improvisation and chaos. From the looks of the videos, Schottenheimer's concepts required more structure and more finesse at the LOS. We also saw Schottenheimer at Carroll at odds with each other.

Once again, I don't think Wilson is a bad QB, quite frankly he is still one of the best in the game. I just think Wilson really needs to get better at the more cerebral parts of the game and lean on that more than his improvisation skills and athleticism. I think Carroll has played a significant part in how he has developed as a passer, unfortunately.

Tokadub

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":2lq58rrb said:
Surprised the Jags hired Brian Schottenheimer as their passing game coordinator. His play calling became predictable and anemic. You have to be willing to evolve in this league

I would disagree after watching the film MULTIPLE times. Russell was missing WIDE OPEN RECEIVERS ON A REGULAR BASIS.

Were they easy throws? Maybe not...

Were they the kind of wide open throws the best QB's like Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady could do with their eyes closed??? YES!!!

This is why I'm concerned that we tossed the OC when the QB was missing wide open receivers several times a drive almost.

Tokadub

Reaction score
toffee":1dibqygh said:
chris98251":1dibqygh said:
John63":1dibqygh said:
Throwdown":1dibqygh said:
Russ can’t do it.

I guess you were not watching in 2015 when he did, hmm. Or any time we went uptempo and Wilson called the plays.

Wilson could not see the field or he was looking for a big play instead of the simple first down.

There was like 50 plays where we have a guy wide open in the middle of the field and Wilson didn't give them the ball, it's pretty simple if you watch the film. I don't think it had anything to do with our OC.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Based on what I’ve heard nationally the Seahawks ran a lot of shotgun last year. Something around 70% of snaps.

Waldron will run much more from under center. This will benefit the run game and play action. RW isn’t a puppet master like PM. He will benefit from being under center.

Also we face two of the NFL’s best defensive units 4 times a year in the 49er’s and Rams.

misfit

Reaction score
HawkNuts":28kbolul said:
Based on what I’ve heard nationally the Seahawks ran a lot of shotgun last year. Something around 70% of snaps.

Waldron will run much more from under center. This will benefit the run game and play action. RW isn’t a puppet master like PM. He will benefit from being under center.

Also we face two of the NFL’s best defensive units 4 times a year in the 49er’s and Rams.

Schotty also isn't a good enough OC w/ a diverse enough offense to do that either, as shown when they couldn't solve 2 high safeties

John63

Reaction score
ahh arm chair QBs at their finest acting like they know when they dont know squat!

toffee

Reaction score
Tokadub":nfsdybdu said:
ArlosSpecial":nfsdybdu said:
Surprised the Jags hired Brian Schottenheimer as their passing game coordinator. His play calling became predictable and anemic. You have to be willing to evolve in this league

I would disagree after watching the film MULTIPLE times. Russell was missing WIDE OPEN RECEIVERS ON A REGULAR BASIS.

Were they the kind of wide open throws the best QB's like Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady could do with their eyes closed??? YES!!!

This is why I'm concerned that we tossed the OC when the QB was missing wide open receivers several times a drive almost.

Please be prepared, when folks couldn't debate the message, they will attack the messengers instead.

John63

Reaction score
toffee":3vm2zmmv said:
Tokadub":3vm2zmmv said:
ArlosSpecial":3vm2zmmv said:

Please be prepared, when folks couldn't debate the message, they will attack the messengers instead.

ahhg pot kettle much.

as to his post, it is his opinion to look at films that does not show what the QB sees, the play call, take into account down and distance etc etc. Like I said armchair QB. I can go look at films of every QB in the league including Brady and Rodgers and find plenty of wid reopen guys, Being open is only part of th information needed. For example great it s3rd and 20 and we have a guy wid reopen for a 2 yard gain and no chance of getting more. I would not expect a QB to through it it does not solve the problem. etc etc . just saying they ar reopen means nothing, it is the other info combined with that we need to know.