Russell Wilson

NorCalSeahawkFan

Reaction score
Largent80":8pmsscjd said:
He is ....Russell Wilson.

He is his OWN player. He is everything and none of the above all combined.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS
He is Russel Wilson. He is the Seahawks QB and I for one like it that way. People need to quit trying to make him into what they think he should be. It is my HOPE that when he has had the time and the oline that he NEEDS he sets the NFL on fire!

This is a bunch of Crap and if some of you had been a fan for 38 years like me and some others on here you would understand that.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Vetamur":2fdzihho said:
I think the closest really is Steve Young.. after that would be Jim Zorn and Fran Tarkenton, but they ran tons but mostly behind the line of scrimmage.. a lot has been made, rightly, of how much Wilson keeps his eyes downfield even when running..those two were even more so..

I go with Tarkenton, I saw him play a lot and Rw looks just like him, and yes he has a stronger arm. However Tark had more talent around him then Rw has, This team is built to run not pass, hopefully they will fix that.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Anthony!":69133ihq said:
HawkWow":69133ihq said:
El Caliente":69133ihq said:
Would you consider Wilson to be a qb like Manning, Brady, and Brees or a qb like Vick, Newton, and RG3?

For reference:

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/new-e ... FlOzb5Z_0c

I think he is a pocket guy that can run, others think he is run first. As a fan of a team that watches him every day, what is he?

RW reminds me on none of those guys. With all respect to your question OP, Better examples could be used. OTOH, perhaps you're wanting to compare him only to active QBs (?).

He's smarter with the ball than Griffin

I see almost zero similarities between he, Brady, Manning and / or even Newton, though Newton is clearly trying to emulate Wilson these days.

He is a far better thrower than Vick ever was and certainly not as reckless (see RG3)

That leaves Brees but RW doesn't have the *pocket awareness Brees has, though he is more dangerous with his legs

* This isn't a knock on RW. Brees has been around for quite a bit longer and gets better protection as well.

I think it is very difficult to categorize Wilson at this stage considering he deals with a different O-line almost weekly and perhaps to a lesser extent, the same can be said about his TEs and WRs.

I can only picture what Wilson would be with a bevy of weapons and more consistent line play. The picture that keeps popping up for me is Steve Young. Under those conditions, I can't think of a better comparison than Steve Young.

Agreed you know it is funny I watched the INdy game last night and the amount of time he had to throw is mind boggling, add to that the number of wide open guys he had and the plays his Wr and TE made is interesting as heck. II mean could you imagine if Rw had that oline (8th in pass blocking) and those wr (#7 wr corps). We have seen what Rw ha done with our Wr when given time, now imagine even more time and better WR. WOW.

I'm not being argumentative here, Anthony. But I do always try to be fair. Someone here has to acknowledge Luck the QB. "Neck beard" aside. I'm not seeing him get a lot of time behind that Indy line, my friend. I'm seeing him make time and I'm seeing him standing strong in the pocket, more focused on his delivery and target than the incoming asswhupping he has been taking series after series after series. The kid is incredible and that in no way should diminish who or what RW is. It is entirely possible to like both.

I will go a step further in saying Luck may prove to be too tough for his own good. His huge stature allows us to think he can handle, but no man, NFLer or otherwise, can stand up to the beatings Luck has been taking for an extended period of time. I saw him almost lost in space in the 2nd qtr last night and again later in the game. Indy better fix this quick or start designing some plays like Bevell does to aid RW. Love him or hate him (them) this league needs both Luck and RW and a healthy Andrew Luck won't be long for this league at the rate he is getting hit. IMO.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
capncrunch":29girtrl said:
I tend to think more Tarkenton and Staubach.
In my best old West cowboy voice...YEP.
Tarkenton with more speed.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
When I watched Russell at Wisconsin the first thing I thought of was Drew Brees who could run. I think that's pretty much how he performed early on in the NFL with greater OL play and WRs. Since he's kind of become an Archie Manning/Fran Tarkenton type player, making most of his plays through improv. At his best he reminds me of Joe Montana with better mobility. He would absolutely be unstoppable with a top 10 oline.

olyfan63

Reaction score
The Steve Young comparison was spot-on, and also the Roger Staubach and Fran Tarkenton comparisons.
Stylistically, Wilson looks and moves closest to Tarkenton, in terms of leaving defenders grasping at air.

In terms of timing and toughness, Staubach is a great comparison. As a kid, I was actually a Redskins fan in the Billy Kilmer/Sonny Jurgenson/Over-The-Hill-Gang era, so I saw a lot of Staubach. Staubach had the same break-your-heart timing of when he would run, maddenly escaping the rush and running for 1st downs at key times on 3rd down, seemingly at will, and the same timing of hitting back-breaking downfield passes when the Cowboys really, really needed it.

The Steve Young comparison is right on the money too. IIRC, there's an amazing highlight vid of Young running through the whole damn opponent team 80 yards to score. Try to look past the uniform and appreciate the player...
[youtube]LbPwwmEcws0[/youtube]

OK, so it was 49 yards, but it was so wacky it seemed like 80.
The difference is that Russell would be way more graceful about it.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Wilson is Wilson.

Brady is Brady.

Manning is Manning.

Brees is Brees.

Kaepernick is Squidward.

rideaducati

Reaction score
HawkWow":3kzvzu69 said:
pehawk":3kzvzu69 said:
His best comparison is Big Ben, actually IMO. I know on its surface that seems crazy, but, they both scramble and create with an eye downfield. They just do it differently.

That's just wacky as hell, Pe. So wacky that it makes sense. Certainly one has to just totally disregard the huge size differences (and personalities), but once past that, I see where you are going with this.

Both men move around almost radically behind the line, sometimes without apparent rhyme or reason, but both men also constantly keep their eyes downfield and frequently make chicken soup outta' what appeared to be chicken poop.

Both men are also ridiculously hard to bring down and surprisingly for the same reason...both are just incredibly strong men.

Unsure between the two which deserves more praise based on these similarities. But since I love RW and hate Ben, I will say RW. Keepin' it simple.

Their stats through their first couple seasons are quite similar too. This is the closest comparison I see currently in the NFL. Both QBs tick off opposing fans because they just find ways to win games while not lighting up the stat columns. Neither one is very exciting to watch play, but they both get the job done.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Big Ben is the best comp.

Steve Young didn't scramble to make big passes for the most part, and he was adept at using the middle of the field with slants, etc. Both are pretty major differences to Wilson. Keeping in mind who Young was throwing to, defenses rarely spent a spy on Young, they couldn't afford to. Wilson has a spy on him most plays.

If anyone can't get past the size difference, sorry. But Ben and Wilson see the field very similarly. Ben reads deep to short, like RW. Ben isn't spectacular about using the middle of the field. He isn't a slant guy, He scrambles with purpose, like a point guard he wants to draw the double team, free up his quick guys to make that extra cut when the DB has his back turned. Cleary, they shed defenders in different ways, Ben has a wide base and frame that guys slide off of, and Wilson just makes them grab air, but their philosophies about why they scramble are identical. I think Ben sees the field when scrambling a lot better than Wilson, but given time I think Wilson will grow at that.

The big difference is Ben doesn't often scramble backwards, he scrambles laterally. Wilson will go any direction.

Scrambling style? Wilson looks like Tarkenton. Or a rabbit.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":zoabk3q9 said:
Big Ben is the best comp.

Steve Young didn't scramble to make big passes for the most part, and he was adept at using the middle of the field with slants, etc. Both are pretty major differences to Wilson. Keeping in mind who Young was throwing to, defenses rarely spent a spy on Young, they couldn't afford to. Wilson has a spy on him most plays.

If anyone can't get past the size difference, sorry. But Ben and Wilson see the field very similarly. Ben reads deep to short, like RW. Ben isn't spectacular about using the middle of the field. He isn't a slant guy, He scrambles with purpose, like a point guard he wants to draw the double team, free up his quick guys to make that extra cut when the DB has his back turned. Cleary, they shed defenders in different ways, Ben has a wide base and frame that guys slide off of, and Wilson just makes them grab air, but their philosophies about why they scramble are identical. I think Ben sees the field when scrambling a lot better than Wilson, but given time I think Wilson will grow at that.

The big difference is Ben doesn't often scramble backwards, he scrambles laterally. Wilson will go any direction.

Scrambling style? Wilson looks like Tarkenton. Or a rabbit.

Great summation.

zhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1p668seo said:
capncrunch":1p668seo said:
Agree, especially Tark. If you saw him play, I'd be surprised if you didn't agree.

That's my contention. More tark than roger.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't mind Big Ben as a comp at all, although I think Luck is more like Big Ben than Wilson is. All three are elusive QBs, but Wilson is elusive like Barry Sanders and Luck / Big Ben are elusive like Marshawn Lynch.

No comparison is perfect of course. We've seen games where Wilson didn't have it but still won games with his legs. I'm not sure if Big Ben was ever a threat to rush for a hundred in any given game. Or score with his feet from 25 yards out.

I doubt we'll ever see Wilson accused of sexual assault, or Big Ben accused of tilting the field with his inspiring persona.

Style wise, the comparison is too easy. Another guy that likes to look deep first a lot is Aaron Rodgers. I think in the case of Wilson and many other QBs, their tendency with reads has a lot to do with the desires of the coaching staff. Pete loves big plays and hates turnovers, so to serve this purpose Wilson is looking deep and mostly avoiding the intermediate middle, instead looking to work the redline area.

These tendencies are beginning to change though. Obscured by Wilson's accuracy issues of late, the Seahawks are throwing over the middle significantly more often since the moment they dealt Percy.

Probably the strongest aspect of the Big Ben comparison is how both scramble to pass. I feel like every elite QB will have this habit to some degree, but Wilson and Big Ben (and Luck) are among the best at it.

justafan

Reaction score
I have never seen a QB with his scrambling ability protect the ball the way he does.I think it is the most amazing part of his game especially one so young.Most QBs with that type of scrambling ability seem to be gamblers.

I think his weakness is his willingness to stay in the pocket and his ability to make plays in the pocket.He can but he looks more comfortable bailing out and putting pressure on the edge.

Most of the QB comparisons like were quite a bit ahead of him as pocket passers at this point in his career.I sure dont see many similarities with the RG3s of the league.Intellectually he is in another league.He will improve but I dont ever expect him to develop the type of game Breese,Young or Rogers has.He is a winner that takes care of the ball and thats good enough for me.

I dont see the Rothlisberger comparison.Ben is one of the best at moving within the pocket keeping plays alive but he tries staying in the pocket.

I really havent seen many comparable QBs in the years I have watched football he has been very unique.

kpak76

Reaction score
idahawks":owbuh7fd said:
Doug Flutie is the best comparison.

I'm glad someone else said this because I see the same thing. If Flutie was ever given a real chance in the NFL, like Wilson is now, he is probably a first ballot HOF.

Wilson is great throwing on the run and so was Flutie. Both played the game almost the same way because they both had the same height challenge with similar athletic gifts. I had no idea Flutie won 4 consecutive Grey Cups in the CFL. That's elite in any league.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":vem4yxjp said:
capncrunch":vem4yxjp said:
Agree, especially Tark. If you saw him play, I'd be surprised if you didn't agree.
Tarkenton comes immediately to mind. Way moreso than Young or Rapistburger.

Anthony!

Reaction score
HawkWow":1vn568g9 said:
Anthony!":1vn568g9 said:
HawkWow":1vn568g9 said:
El Caliente":1vn568g9 said:
Would you consider Wilson to be a qb like Manning, Brady, and Brees or a qb like Vick, Newton, and RG3?

For reference:

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/new-e ... FlOzb5Z_0c

I think he is a pocket guy that can run, others think he is run first. As a fan of a team that watches him every day, what is he?

RW reminds me on none of those guys. With all respect to your question OP, Better examples could be used. OTOH, perhaps you're wanting to compare him only to active QBs (?).

He's smarter with the ball than Griffin

I see almost zero similarities between he, Brady, Manning and / or even Newton, though Newton is clearly trying to emulate Wilson these days.

He is a far better thrower than Vick ever was and certainly not as reckless (see RG3)

That leaves Brees but RW doesn't have the *pocket awareness Brees has, though he is more dangerous with his legs

* This isn't a knock on RW. Brees has been around for quite a bit longer and gets better protection as well.

I think it is very difficult to categorize Wilson at this stage considering he deals with a different O-line almost weekly and perhaps to a lesser extent, the same can be said about his TEs and WRs.

I can only picture what Wilson would be with a bevy of weapons and more consistent line play. The picture that keeps popping up for me is Steve Young. Under those conditions, I can't think of a better comparison than Steve Young.

Agreed you know it is funny I watched the INdy game last night and the amount of time he had to throw is mind boggling, add to that the number of wide open guys he had and the plays his Wr and TE made is interesting as heck. II mean could you imagine if Rw had that oline (8th in pass blocking) and those wr (#7 wr corps). We have seen what Rw ha done with our Wr when given time, now imagine even more time and better WR. WOW.

I'm not being argumentative here, Anthony. But I do always try to be fair. Someone here has to acknowledge Luck the QB. "Neck beard" aside. I'm not seeing him get a lot of time behind that Indy line, my friend. I'm seeing him make time and I'm seeing him standing strong in the pocket, more focused on his delivery and target than the incoming asswhupping he has been taking series after series after series. The kid is incredible and that in no way should diminish who or what RW is. It is entirely possible to like both.

I will go a step further in saying Luck may prove to be too tough for his own good. His huge stature allows us to think he can handle, but no man, NFLer or otherwise, can stand up to the beatings Luck has been taking for an extended period of time. I saw him almost lost in space in the 2nd qtr last night and again later in the game. Indy better fix this quick or start designing some plays like Bevell does to aid RW. Love him or hate him (them) this league needs both Luck and RW and a healthy Andrew Luck won't be long for this league at the rate he is getting hit. IMO.

I get what you saying but compared to what Wilson is getting Luck is getting a boat load of time, and then add in his Wr corps and route trees are great. I was not diminishing Luck but making a point of how important p[ass blocking, wr and route trees are to a QB.

Latest posts