Russell Wilson

sutz

Reaction score
Frankly, I always though of Russ as the QB that people wished Vick was. The good mobility, and good arm (yeah Vick had good arm strength, he was just wildly innaccurate), but with good football intelligence and especially the intelligence to use his legs more wisely. That's really my modern era 'comparison,' though it isn't a direct comparison TBS. Vick was always too quick to run and never really learned to become a pass-first QB that the NFL tends to demand. He was, like RGe also rather careless (some say fearless) about getting hit, also unlike Wilson.

For past QBs, he is Tarkenton to me, with better arm strength and better ball security, though Fran was never known as a fumbler IIRC. They played in different eras, though, and the comparison strains a bit. One thing though, is that in Tark's day, virtually nobody was a 'pass first' offense. Minnesota generally had a decent to outstanding running game. Tark just made all of the highlight reels, and in many ways was one of the drivers moving the NFL to the pass happy league it is today.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
sutz":3loxjswi said:
Frankly, I always though of Russ as the QB that people wished Vick was. The good mobility, and good arm (yeah Vick had good arm strength, he was just wildly innaccurate), but with good football intelligence and especially the intelligence to use his legs more wisely. That's really my modern era 'comparison,' though it isn't a direct comparison TBS. Vick was always too quick to run and never really learned to become a pass-first QB that the NFL tends to demand. He was, like RGe also rather careless (some say fearless) about getting hit, also unlike Wilson.

For past QBs, he is Tarkenton to me, with better arm strength and better ball security, though Fran was never known as a fumbler IIRC. They played in different eras, though, and the comparison strains a bit. One thing though, is that in Tark's day, virtually nobody was a 'pass first' offense. Minnesota generally had a decent to outstanding running game. Tark just made all of the highlight reels, and in many ways was one of the drivers moving the NFL to the pass happy league it is today.
Vick is a bad comparison for Wilson, both went about the game in completely different ways. Vick was more of a runner than scrambler, Wilson likes to scramble more.

For this era it's Donavon McNabb IMO. McNabb always looked to pass, and used his mobility to extend the play, he spent a fair amount of the time outside the pocket. Just look at his 14 second scramble play, it looks a lot like what Wilson does.

capncrunch

Reaction score
zhawk":1lbnqk3i said:
hawksfansinceday1":1lbnqk3i said:
capncrunch":1lbnqk3i said:
I tend to think more Tarkenton and Staubach.
Agree, especially Tark. If you saw him play, I'd be surprised if you didn't agree.

That's my contention. More tark than roger.

Yes. Tarkenton would scramble in a way that is quite similar to RW. I think that RW might have even watched old videos of Tark, but I never heard him say that. Tark had below average arm strength. This was pretty much known at the time. He was the king of the short pass after scrambling, often to Chuck Foreman who would run parallel with Fran and get some good yards after the catch. Foreman was really, really good. Fran didn't have designed runs at all. He was not ruggedly built and didn't put up big running yard numbers. For short to intermediate passes he was outstanding.

Staubach, on the other hand, had a rifle. Holy S*** Dude could put it on the money way down field to Golden Richards and some other dudes. So, when he emerged. It was like, Wow, he can run like Tarkenton and throw like Bradshaw. He was more often compared to Bradshaw because of that and the rise of both franchises at the time, but he had great mobility and speed. I considered him the best QB of the time. It's hard to put guys in to different eras to talk about who is better as players are bigger and all that.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
capncrunch":1ufb4q3u said:
zhawk":1ufb4q3u said:
hawksfansinceday1":1ufb4q3u said:
capncrunch":1ufb4q3u said:
I tend to think more Tarkenton and Staubach.
Agree, especially Tark. If you saw him play, I'd be surprised if you didn't agree.

That's my contention. More tark than roger.

Yes. Tarkenton would scramble in a way that is quite similar to RW. I think that RW might have even watched old videos of Tark, but I never heard him say that. Tark had below average arm strength. This was pretty much known at the time. He was the king of the short pass after scrambling, often to Chuck Foreman who would run parallel with Fran and get some good yards after the catch. Foreman was really, really good. Fran didn't have designed runs at all. He was not ruggedly built and didn't put up big running yard numbers. For short to intermediate passes he was outstanding.

Staubach, on the other hand, had a rifle. Holy S*** Dude could put it on the money way down field to Golden Richards and some other dudes. So, when he emerged. It was like, Wow, he can run like Tarkenton and throw like Bradshaw. He was more often compared to Bradshaw because of that and the rise of both franchises at the time, but he had great mobility and speed. I considered him the best QB of the time. It's hard to put guys in to different eras to talk about who is better as players are bigger and all that.

I was thinking like you are. Roger had Newsome and a quite a few others that could make things happen. I kinda was a Dullas fan for a while before we had a team. I was young and stupid then...Now I am old......But still remember when I could watch those games. I was thinking a few years back when someone on the board asked who had more comebacks in the 4th....I was thinking Roger. He almost always had the option in under 2 mins with only 2 scores down to win the game. That was in the early 70s tho. I was a kid...remember.