Russell Wilson's contract pushed to next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Basis4day":2nizewk9 said:
"Seattle QB Russell Wilson will play last season of his deal w/ insurance policy worth millions in case of career-ending injury, per sources."

Notice how it doesn't say anything along the lines of "if no deal is reached".

Also, it's only his last year if there is no new deal.

:34853_doh:

The insurance policy is in place new deal or not. It's common in the NFL.. it's even common in College now. This doesn't mean he will not sign his new deal this year. Has nothing to do with that.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Anthony!":3pgoig8w said:
Largent80":3pgoig8w said:
I simply don't care about Wilsons contract. We have him this year. And if he doesn't sign after that then 2 years of franchising

actually at best 1 year of tagging we canno9t afford 32 mil for one year with our cap and that is what it would be the 2nd tag year I am not sure we can afford the 25M+ for the 1st tag.

Keep in mind the salary cap has risen about 13 million dollars since Wilson's first season.

McGruff

Reaction score
Basis4day":1usxcwar said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/446727943394312192[/tweet]

Okay, I gotta remember to watch dates on these. You made me google to find out how the Seahawks acquired Allen.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":1ux2aowa said:
Largent80":1ux2aowa said:
I simply don't care about Wilsons contract. We have him this year. And if he doesn't sign after that then 2 years of franchising

actually at best 1 year of tagging we canno9t afford 32 mil for one year with our cap and that is what it would be the 2nd tag year I am not sure we can afford the 25M+ for the 1st tag.

There is absolutely zero way you can predict what we can or cannot afford in two years. Rosters, and cap value changes every season. It's quite possible they could afford to cap him at that number. Honestly, I don't see this going that far, so I doubt it matters, but there is just no way to predict whether or not we can afford to cap a player two years down the line.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Anthony!":15lbkiv1 said:
Largent80":15lbkiv1 said:

You're using the exclusive tag numbers... not the non-exclusive numbers, which is much more probable that Seattle's FO would do.

An interested team would have to give up two firsts and and also extend a contract offer to Wilson, which Seattle can match... and they would if it ever came to that.

What Wilson and his agent are overlooking is he's never going to make up the lost income of going in that direction.

Anthony!

Reaction score
McGruff":25vc9asu said:
Basis4day":25vc9asu said:

Okay, I gotta remember to watch dates on these. You made me google to find out how the Seahawks acquired Allen.

wow I did not even look at the date I figured the poster did.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Just goes to show the FO is smarter than the masses, can't overpay a non-elite qb :thirishdrinkers: :179422: :stirthepot:

Anthony!

Reaction score
kidhawk":72l0c5kc said:
Anthony!":72l0c5kc said:
Largent80":72l0c5kc said:

There is absolutely zero way you can predict what we can or cannot afford in two years. Rosters, and cap value changes every season. It's quite possible they could afford to cap him at that number. Honestly, I don't see this going that far, so I doubt it matters, but there is just no way to predict whether or not we can afford to cap a player two years down the line.

actually you can there are plenty of sites that post current salaries and free cash and future years salaries so yeah you can.

kidhawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3h9hgp7u said:
Anthony!":3h9hgp7u said:
Largent80":3h9hgp7u said:

You're using the exclusive tag numbers... not the non-exclusive numbers, which is much more probable that Seattle's FO would do.

An interested team would have to give up two firsts and and also extend a contract offer to Wilson, which Seattle can match... and they would if it ever came to that.

What Wilson and his agent are overlooking is he's never going to make up the lost income of going in that direction.

Actually, the way Schneider structures contracts, there really is less risk to Wilson. We have generally kept the final contract year from the Rookie contracts and just extended the deals out with more money. If that is what we are offering Wilson, then the only thing he's doing is putting off the signing bonus for a year. Right now, Wilson holds a lot of leverage, and the team has to decide to wait it out and watch salaries continue to escalate, or pay him more than they want to right now to keep from paying him even more later. I think the team needs to take the hit now. The cap is rising every year. QB contracts are continuing to rise and with that, so is Wilson's value. Deals are going to just get more and more expensive.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Anthony!":2mzx3xe2 said:
McGruff":2mzx3xe2 said:
Basis4day":2mzx3xe2 said:

wow I did not even look at the date I figured the poster did.

I did it intentionally. Schefter isn't always correct, which is why i posted it.

mikeak

Reaction score
Anthony!":1yszp7r4 said:
Cyrus12":1yszp7r4 said:
wilson will get a record deal in fa...but it wont be with seattle. cap issues wont magically fix themselves nect season.

agreed piss poor planning by the FO makes you wonder if bowing down to Lynch caused some of this. Also makes you wonder if they got Graham for Wilson or the next QB so better weapons no need for as good or expensive a QB. If true a huge gamble, if they are right all is good if they are wrong all is bad and they may cost themselves their jobs.

A lot of words without a lot of substance

Can you elaborate how there is cap issues behind this above and beyond what should be expected?

Russel should NEVER expect a new contract. Never - it isn't done in these situations. The FO should have been planning and seems to have been planning for an extension.

With that in mind it seems like there is cap room this year for an extension and cap room in the future for a new deal that is highly competitive compared to every other single qb in the league

As much as I love RW (and I am NC State alumni which is how I turned Seahawks fan after Koren Robinson was signed back in the days) if his agent is asking for a new deal then he is flat out wrong and fully to blame for the contract issues.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Wilson is going to be a Seahawk for a long time. Organization and agent are just trying to squeeze out the best deal. I'm just happy we finally have a franchise QB worth all the haggling.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":1885jtpc said:

This.

If Wilson's asking for the moon, and it sounds like he is.........why on earth would the Hawks pay him 25M a year when they have him for 1.5M this year, and can still franchise him for less than 25M for two years after? That's three years of control AND less money.

Obviously we'd love to have Russell on a nice long cap friendly deal so everyone involved can feel all warm and fuzzy over knowing Russell's going to be here for a long time. But it's not something we need to freak out about just yet. If this crap is still going on in 2017 and 2018? Then it's time to get nervous.

Anthony!

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":vydoxf8h said:
Anthony!":vydoxf8h said:
Largent80":vydoxf8h said:

First what lost income let me help

This next year he is playing at 1.5 mi no matter what. If we tag him it is 25 mil they will not use the non exclusive. next year it is 32 mil that is 57 mil in 2 years. and then he gets his big payday and probably even more than we are offering and he has los nothing. ALso the whole 2 draft pick thing is only partial right

"What is a transition tag? It's essentially worth the average of the top 10 salaries at a player's position or 120% the value of his 2014 salary (whichever is higher). Players with the transition tag can negotiate with other clubs, but their original team does not receive draft pick compensation if they fail to match an outside offer. (Two teams used the transition tag in 2014.)"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /24222597/

If the do not match the exact offer they get nothing and guess what, if someone offers a deal we cannot match he is gone if they do match Wilson gets what he wants. To me the transition tag is like giving Wilson a prize and they might as well just pay him now. It is a huge gamble and the odds are in Wilsons favor. FYI current top 10 salaries avg is 20 mil
about what they are offering now, and will go up when Luck signs which in likelihood will be next year.

Anthony!

Reaction score
kidhawk":kahp0y2s said:
onanygivensunday":kahp0y2s said:
Anthony!":kahp0y2s said:
Largent80":kahp0y2s said:

Actually, the way Schneider structures contracts, there really is less risk to Wilson. We have generally kept the final contract year from the Rookie contracts and just extended the deals out with more money. If that is what we are offering Wilson, then the only thing he's doing is putting off the signing bonus for a year. Right now, Wilson holds a lot of leverage, and the team has to decide to wait it out and watch salaries continue to escalate, or pay him more than they want to right now to keep from paying him even more later. I think the team needs to take the hit now. The cap is rising every year. QB contracts are continuing to rise and with that, so is Wilson's value. Deals are going to just get more and more expensive.

Agreed

Anthony!

Reaction score
mikeak":lw9tn5nz said:
Anthony!":lw9tn5nz said:
Cyrus12":lw9tn5nz said:
wilson will get a record deal in fa...but it wont be with seattle. cap issues wont magically fix themselves nect season.

agreed piss poor planning by the FO makes you wonder if bowing down to Lynch caused some of this. Also makes you wonder if they got Graham for Wilson or the next QB so better weapons no need for as good or expensive a QB. If true a huge gamble, if they are right all is good if they are wrong all is bad and they may cost themselves their jobs.

A lot of words without a lot of substance

Can you elaborate how there is cap issues behind this above and beyond what should be expected?

Russel should NEVER expect a new contract. Never - it isn't done in these situations. The FO should have been planning and seems to have been planning for an extension.

With that in mind it seems like there is cap room this year for an extension and cap room in the future for a new deal that is highly competitive compared to every other single qb in the league

As much as I love RW (and I am NC State alumni which is how I turned Seahawks fan after Koren Robinson was signed back in the days) if his agent is asking for a new deal then he is flat out wrong and fully to blame for the contract issues.

well or open we do not know if the is asking for a new deal tearing up this year. For 2 they have done it the did it for Lynch. as to the rest I said make you wonder. Also you have no clue what Wilson was told, for all we know early on they did tell him they would redo his deal but when they had to redo Lynchs they changed their minds we really do not know. AS to the rest again without knowing the details we cannot say for sure what they are offering is good or not.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":33jx2eyp said:
onanygivensunday":33jx2eyp said:
Anthony!":33jx2eyp said:
Largent80":33jx2eyp said:

First what lost income let me help

This next year he is playing at 1.5 mi no matter what. If we tag him it is 25 mil they will not use the non exclusive. next year it is 32 mil that is 57 mil in 2 years. and then he gets his big payday and probably even more than we are offering and he has los nothing. ALso the whole 2 draft pick thing is only partial right

"What is a transition tag? It's essentially worth the average of the top 10 salaries at a player's position or 120% the value of his 2014 salary (whichever is higher). Players with the transition tag can negotiate with other clubs, but their original team does not receive draft pick compensation if they fail to match an outside offer. (Two teams used the transition tag in 2014.)"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /24222597/

If the do not match the exact offer they get nothing and guess what, if someone offers a deal we cannot match he is gone if they do match Wilson gets what he wants. To me the transition tag is like giving Wilson a prize and they might as well just pay him now. It is a huge gamble and the odds are in Wilsons favor. FYI current top 10 salaries avg is 20 mil
about what they are offering now, and will go up when Luck signs which in likelihood will be next year.

Just to be clear, there is an exclusive rights tag meaning he can't negotiate with anyone else and it's the highest number possible, then there's the non-exclusive rights tag, which is slightly lower. The first one we keep him no matter what, the second, he can negotiate with other teams and we can match or get 2 first round picks.

The Transition tag is pretty useless and rarely used and I don't see anyone considering it as a tool to keep Wilson.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":19lifb8d said:
Basis4day":19lifb8d said:
"Seattle QB Russell Wilson will play last season of his deal w/ insurance policy worth millions in case of career-ending injury, per sources."

Notice how it doesn't say anything along the lines of "if no deal is reached".

Also, it's only his last year if there is no new deal.

:34853_doh:

The insurance policy is in place new deal or not. It's common in the NFL.. it's even common in College now. This doesn't mean he will not sign his new deal this year. Has nothing to do with that.

I agree. About 40% of NFL players have such policies. But to read the tweet as you're suggesting makes reporting it meaningless. His phrasing is specifically tailored to get it in the mind of fans that Wilson is making preparations to play out his rookie deal.

For the sake of argument lets say he got Cam Newtons 31 million fully guaranteed deal whether he gets hurt or not (It's about 60ish million guaranteed for injury only). 31 million sounds a lot like a nice insurance policy by default and cause to consider if paying the premiums would be worth it to get more than that.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":fju2sas9 said:

It is kind of a tricky situation, though. When Newton signed his extension, the last year of his expiring contract was his fifth-year option, so he was already set to make good money. When Roethlisberger signed his latest extension, the last year of his expiring deal was similarly loaded. Russell, on the other hand, is stuck playing out the last year of a third-round rookie deal, which comparatively speaking is chump change and a somewhat unprecedented situation, which is part of the reason this continues to drag on, in my opinion.

If we are still negotiating after this season I think we could potentially have an easier time trying to get a deal done than we are now. Sure, the overall value of the offer will be higher if Russell has another great year, but it will be a negotiation of a whole new deal rather than an extension of a contract that Wilson and his agent don't want to be tied to anymore.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Anthony!":paezjg8j said:
This next year he is playing at 1.5 mi no matter what. If we tag him it is 25 mil they will not use the non exclusive. next year it is 32 mil that is 57 mil in 2 years. and then he gets his big payday and probably even more than we are offering and he has los nothing. ALso the whole 2 draft pick thing is only partial right.

Where are you getting 25M for the first year of tagging Russell?

The 2015 QB tag is 18.51M

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ag-figures

2014 it was 16.19M, so no way it gets bumped up to 25M for 2016. At most it'll get bumped 10-15%, which would be in the 20M range. So we're not looking at a 25M tag amount until at least 2017, maybe even 2018 if it's another modest 10% bump in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts