Russell Wilson's game vs the 49ers

Anthony!

Reaction score
chris98251":e7o2535g said:
There were hot reads today and he was getting more quick passes off, that nullifies the blitz, the tempo, the plays coming in and out, Wilson checking off and audible also, no huddle's as well. It was pace and having the ball come out faster. The O line didn't have to sustain blocks, the running game was not abandoned. A lot of different stuff, maybe more of the offense was going thru Wilson instead of Cable and Bevell today, but there was a distinct difference in how fast things were working.

agreed on all fronts, now will the OC keep it going and pull it back in again.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Seeing Russell get YAC out of his receivers was freaking fantastic! It got Peyton Manning to XLVIII.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":26yinpma said:
Wilson played great. It was easily his best game of the season.

On first watch, what impressed me so much was that he wasn't relying on his typical scramble plays or play action deep ball to move the ball. He was simply running the offense and taking advantage of what the defense was giving him. The TD pass to Lockett in the redzone was a perfect example. The slant route was short of the first down marker, but it was the only route uncovered by the defense. Russ hit Lockett in stride and gave his receiver a chance to make a play.

Let's hope that this is a sign of a lot more good things to come.

The best thing about that pass was that he hit Lockett in stride, enabling him to get some YAC. He's been throwing slightly behind on a lot of those passes this year, making the WR slow down and get tackled right away. I also like that he over threw him on that one pass. He's been slightly underthrowing the deep ball on Tyler and that can lead to a INT.

I also hope this means he's getting better chemistry with Lockett. I honestly believe Lockett is the best WR on our team.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Anthony-

if your problem was the "accuracy" comment, you quoted the wrong post my friend. You quoted the guy who showed he did not have issues....hence the 24-29.

Of course, you are so busy being defensive, you have missed this point twice now.

And btw, my supposed backhanded "he does better when he doesnt have to put the team on his shoulders" comment is no different than what you just said a few posts ago when you said "no QB can do it alone"

so calm down.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Laloosh":12vf914x said:
Seeing Russell get YAC out of his receivers was freaking fantastic! It got Peyton Manning to XLVIII.

every QB gets credit for YAC some just think ours should not

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawkpower":jgeu6iss said:
Anthony-

if your problem was the "accuracy" comment, you quoted the wrong post my friend. You quoted the guy who showed he did not have issues....hence the 24-29.

Of course, you are so busy being defensive, you have missed this point twice now.

And btw, my supposed backhanded "he does better when he doesnt have to put the team on his shoulders" comment is no different than what you just said a few posts ago when you said "no QB can do it alone"

so calm down.

Yeah no I am good thanks for asking, all you need to do is read the quotes posts and it is obvious who I am refering to.

olyfan63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1kw16baj said:
mrt144":1kw16baj said:
The problem was the number of bubble screens going for a piddling two yards and the number of bootlegs to covered tight ends, also for two yards.

Starting in October, Bevell figured out this concept called downfield passing. Once he did that, Wilson's YPA jumped to 8.8. Before that, it was 6.9.

Even the bubble screens were working today, usually for 5-10 yards. From the way it looked, some were RW audibles. The bubble screens also mainly went to Tyler Lockett and Doug Baldwin, not to Bryan Walters or Jermaine Kearse. Of course, it's not fair to play the Bryan Walters 2014 card; IIRC, he was targeted mostly when Percy Harvin took himself out.

strohmin

Reaction score
I am pretty sure the 49ers tackling had a lot to do with the success of our offense today

mrt144

Reaction score
strohmin":3o7qyujl said:
I am pretty sure the 49ers tackling had a lot to do with the success of our offense today

No doubt. I guess this is the floor of competition that the Hawks will face and it's no surprise that the losing team couldnt tackle. I'd really like to see some of the concepts that worked with the pace and some of the quick passing continue but it really might be that the talent disparity for the Niners is the biggest factor in what allowed our execution to work pretty well tonight.

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2mmw6f6s said:
erik2690":2mmw6f6s said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/668625142076022784[/tweet]

I'm going with he played pretty darn well. Career high comp. % as well.
Competent defenses stop blitzing if they are getting beaten that badly. Taking nothing away from Wilson's performance, but one of the particular reasons for the rarity of that stat is many teams aren't stupid.

When exactly have the Seahawks shown an ability to beat the blitz in recent memory? I can't recall too many times, not to mention our abysmal pass pro.Those stats are awesome because I'm getting a sense maybe Bevell and Wilson are now starting to understand quick throws and quick decisions are a way to beat the blitz.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Of course...it couldn't be that the Hawks played well...

Just couldn't be.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":21nnifq6 said:
KiwiHawk":21nnifq6 said:
erik2690":21nnifq6 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/668625142076022784[/tweet]

I'm going with he played pretty darn well. Career high comp. % as well.
Competent defenses stop blitzing if they are getting beaten that badly. Taking nothing away from Wilson's performance, but one of the particular reasons for the rarity of that stat is many teams aren't stupid.

When exactly have the Seahawks shown an ability to beat the blitz in recent memory? I can't recall too many times, not to mention our abysmal pass pro.Those stats are awesome because I'm getting a sense maybe Bevell and Wilson are now starting to understand quick throws and quick decisions are a way to beat the blitz.

If I remember right, they beat the blitz consistently at Arizona last year and in the playoff game against Carolina.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":kj83c62y said:
Uncle Si":kj83c62y said:
Hawk-A-Loogie":kj83c62y said:
He played well. But those accuracy issues though. High pass to Kearse (dropped) and an overthrown deep bomb to Lockett (would be TD). Love the win though.

He was 24 of 29

some need to find something wrong, no matter how well he plays he could go 40-40 and they would complain he could have had more yards to another Wr or something stupid.

It is true, and the pass to Kearse was fine that jackass is a waste of a roster spot. Kearse should not be on this team next year.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
We needed to show some strength against the Blitz this week, might force the Steelers to think twice on occasion; they Blitz more than most teams.

Regardless of the competition, those statistics vs Blitz are incredibly impressive. Russ was hot all day and looked as comfortable as I've seen him in a really long time. Hitting different receivers all over the field, throwing guys open, and standing strong in the pocket and delivering bullets. That was some great tape to put up for Pittsburgh; who are our second toughest opponent on the remaining schedule.

It will of course be a totally different challenge, the Steelers will put up points.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":24bigzdy said:
Anthony!":24bigzdy said:
Uncle Si":24bigzdy said:
Hawk-A-Loogie":24bigzdy said:
He played well. But those accuracy issues though. High pass to Kearse (dropped) and an overthrown deep bomb to Lockett (would be TD). Love the win though.

He was 24 of 29

some need to find something wrong, no matter how well he plays he could go 40-40 and they would complain he could have had more yards to another Wr or something stupid.

It is true, and the pass to Kearse was fine that jackass is a waste of a roster spot. Kearse should not be on this team next year.

That jackass gave us some of the greatest moments of euphoria as Seahawks fans. His drops are annoying, but even when they lead to multiple interceptions (as in the NFCCG) he redeems himself time and again. Managed to hold onto and absolute bullet whilst getting rocked by Reid not long after that.

I've never been his biggest fan and was for us letting him go this year, but I'll never forget what the local kid has done for this organisation. Comments like that have me reaching for the ignore button. Bye Felicia!

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
some need to find something wrong, no matter how well he plays he could go 40-40 and they would complain he could have had more yards to another Wr or something stupid.[/quote]

It is true, and the pass to Kearse was fine that jackass is a waste of a roster spot. Kearse should not be on this team next year.[/quote]

That jackass gave us some of the greatest moments of euphoria as Seahawks fans. His drops are annoying, but even when they lead to multiple interceptions (as in the NFCCG) he redeems himself time and again. Managed to hold onto and absolute bullet whilst getting rocked by Reid not long after that.

I've never been his biggest fan and was for us letting him go this year, but I'll never forget what the local kid has done for this organisation. Comments like that have me reaching for the ignore button. Bye Felicia![/quote]

That is the damn problem, he does nothing all year makes one catch and all is okay, screw that you need to show up more to take up a roster spot. He has been invisible all year.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
strohmin":v6rc2n90 said:

This seems to be a problem League wide, everyone seems to try and tackle high and not take out the legs!

ivotuk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1vh2iu1f said:
We ran the ball well and he made good decisions.

He is still missing wide open receivers, but he probably always will. Limitation of his height.

You're like a dog with a bone on this point. How do you know this is fact? Because honestly, I don't see him missing any more receivers than any other QB.

mrt144

Reaction score
ivotuk":1wtjfs5e said:
FlyingGreg":1wtjfs5e said:
We ran the ball well and he made good decisions.

He is still missing wide open receivers, but he probably always will. Limitation of his height.

You're like a dog with a bone on this point. How do you know this is fact? Because honestly, I don't see him missing any more receivers than any other QB.

Also, at this point what does mentioning it serve? So that 3 to 4 years from now those of us that enjoy watching him play for our benefit will flood the front office with mail about his height?