Russell

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3t6ytlft said:
THis has been by far Russell's best season.
In the past I remember him with control early in the season, but his passes have been spot on all year. This is the QB we have been all waiting for.

How a QB/MVP candidate starts the season usually dictates perception. Most here are falling into that, and showing the power of confirmation bias.

This is the best START Russell has had. It’s debatable whether this is the best he’s played.

However, because of his hot start, people are pretending this is brand new. Russell played extremely well last year, and made some amazing throws in the Raiders, Lions, Panthers, and Chiefs game, to name a few. This year may be his best, like most great QBs. But If Russell were to have a bad week this season, because of his hot start people would probably credit the opposing defense. Rather than say “Russ had a bad game.”

Russell usually has excellent mid-Octobers to December. But the slow start isn’t sexy for the media, and isn’t sexy for fans. In our talk show culture fans are very much influenced by media opinion. And the media gushes over players who have hot starts. That is arguably the main difference. He didn’t suddenly become more accurate

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
OP said he's not a fan of Russ. That's perfectly fine to admit, isn't it? While I cannot understand it because I'm a fan of all players with a Hawks logo on it, there's nothing saying you must appreciate or like every player on your favorite team.

What he didn't bring up--though some in this thread believe he was arguing--was Russ's ability and phenomenal contributions to the team's winning %. That's an entirely other argument. If the OP wants to argue stats and performance, suggesting he's not a fan because RW isn't very good, he's in for a serious beatdown, which has already been started above.

Best of luck, Z! :229031_banghead:

John63

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1jd9lz7x said:
OP said he's not a fan of Russ. That's perfectly fine to admit, isn't it? While I cannot understand it because I'm a fan of all players with a Hawks logo on it, there's nothing saying you must appreciate or like every player on your favorite team.

What he didn't bring up--though some in this thread believe he was arguing--was Russ's ability and phenomenal contributions to the team's winning %. That's an entirely other argument. If the OP wants to argue stats and performance, suggesting he's not a fan because RW isn't very good, he's in for a serious beatdown, which has already been started above.

Best of luck, Z! :229031_banghead:

also, interesting he came started this post with dont like him and is no place to be seen.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Yeah kind of a weird take. I like RW. I think at times he has been misused by the OC and at times hasn’t taken the heat when he’s messed up but he is a great QB. Top 5-8 if he never keeps on the RPO and top 3-5 if he does early and often.

chris98251

Reaction score
Doesn't really matter if someone likes a player or not, we had pages of Matt Hasselbeck hate threads started over the years.

TreeRon

Reaction score
BlueThunder":2449x7ra said:
I don't think I've seen a QB in my life throw as pretty a deep ball, especially under duress, as Russ does. He's a sure-fire, first-ballot HOF'er. Take it in man. You're witnessing it in real time. Soak it up.... Sheesh! Did Terry Bradshaw and Dan Marino have this problem too? (just to name a couple).
Bradshaw was viewed as been less cerebral than some others. Clearly not true, but his being an aw schucks country boy fed that narrative.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, he's as good or better than he's ever been. However, this isn't some big surprise. He's just flat out one of the best and most consistent QB's in the history of the NFL. But let's ignore that and act like this is "finally" the year he does something to impress someone who just doesn't like the guy.
Dear god, what will the excuses be when he's at his HOF speech? And yes, barring injury he will be in the HOF.
Will it be good enough for some? I doubt it. 7 plus years of denial, still? :?

sc85sis

Reaction score
I do think this is the best Russell has ever been. Pete has said as much. This in no way means, however, that he hasn’t been great prior to this season. He has. It’s just that he’s currently on track for a truly amazing performance this year. The QB rating, completion percentage, TD-to-interception ratio, etc. that he has through five games are all crazy good.

Russ works as hard as anyone. I’m glad it’s paying off for him.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I guess I'm supposed to be one of those"blind Rw haters"..It may seem that way sure.
I am and always will be a Hawks fan and will not put one player above the team,that is how
I always have been..The fact is RW had a few flaws that magnified as he wasn't running
like he used to and the fact Beast was done sure didn't help.I felt like he had enough years
to fix the obvious flaws that kept him from being elite in my book and it wasn't getting done.
Exit DB and here's Schotty..Slowly but surely he has fixed or improved on the flaws so he
has elevated his game finally to the point where I can't complain.
He isn't perfect but nobody is..I hate the contract but that is done with.I hope he has a
awesome season and wins MVP because the Hawks will have done great as well.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Sometimes...some of us don't know what we got until it's gone.

Not recognizing how great and historic of a franchise QB the Seahawks have had - and have right now - in RW - over the course of his career - is absurd.

Those pre-RW Hawks fans know it. Those who don't recognize it - most likely will - after he hangs it up.

McGruff

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":l1adbprx said:
So Russ hasn't been elite until this season? Now I've heard it all.
Go Hawks

I would have to know where the "elite" line is before being too critical.

Everyone has different standards. There is no objective definition of "elite nfl quarterbacking."

But it's hard to imagine a criteria where Russell hasnt been there.

There is no question that working with Schottenheimer has elevated Russ' game, which is what he was brought here to do.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, that's how I read the one comment. Basically saying he wasn't elite before now. The same old fight to accept how great the guy is as a QB. One of the best of all time, already. I give up :lol: