Russell's Cannon

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Jac":1dpf9kwl said:
DavidSeven":1dpf9kwl said:
He threw that pass off his back-foot. It was basically all arm. Think about that. Amazing.

I wish I could see it frame-by-frame. It almost looks like he leaves both feet while fading backward as he makes the throw.

He does. I can see it without going slo mo. At about the half forward movement, his feet leave the ground.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Jac

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1fqhhnrd said:
Jac":1fqhhnrd said:
DavidSeven":1fqhhnrd said:
He threw that pass off his back-foot. It was basically all arm. Think about that. Amazing.

I wish I could see it frame-by-frame. It almost looks like he leaves both feet while fading backward as he makes the throw.

He does. I can see it without going slo mo. At about the half forward movement, his feet leave the ground.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

There are probably only a handful of QBs in the league with that kind of arm strength. There are definitely fewer that have that kind of uncanny accuracy/athleticism. When you combine those two, wow...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pretty good separation by Mr. Rice. I really hated seeing him get hurt so much, dude made plays. That throw is ridiculous, you can't teach that. His decision making, and instinct is like a 10 year vet.

crucifyd

Reaction score
kjreid":1qparhxw said:
That was an awesome throw but if that play was open in the last 5 games of the season RW would have pulled it down and tried something else. What happened to our QB who the first half of the season would thread a toss through a hole where a silver dollar couldn't fit to a QB that wouldn't pull the trigger later on. Don't get me wrong he is awesome and I would never want anything else but what changed from the 1st half of the season to the second half of the season?

even more-so during the 2012 season...i said over and over "his long-ball is so effortless" but not so much this season, just because it wasn't happening nearly as much...have to say i missed it this year...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kjreid":2ru3ig97 said:
but what changed from the 1st half of the season to the second half of the season?
Crappy pass protection in almost every game to start his NFL career adds up. You saw that even one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time starts hearing these when the line rarely protects you well:

footstep.gif

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
kjreid":27kanuej said:
That was an awesome throw but if that play was open in the last 5 games of the season RW would have pulled it down and tried something else. What happened to our QB who the first half of the season would thread a toss through a hole where a silver dollar couldn't fit to a QB that wouldn't pull the trigger later on. Don't get me wrong he is awesome and I would never want anything else but what changed from the 1st half of the season to the second half of the season?

In the second half of the season, the playoffs were clinched but HFA was not. PC did smart thing and got conservative on offense and leaned on his defense till we dominated our way to SB victory. RW will have his opportunity to be a gunslinger someday but it will be a season when our D isn't as dominant and maybe the Hawks are a few games back in the last part of the season.

In other words, nothing was wrong with RW in the second half or the playoffs. And if people doubt Wilson's ability to put the team on his shoulders on the way to victory then I suggest they rewatch the playoff games against WA and ATL in the 2013 playoffs.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Shock2k":31cngnnw said:
bigtrain21":31cngnnw said:
Definitely, love that throw.

WilsonToRiceArizona.gif

That's a 45 yard throw of his back foot with a twist in the air. I mean that is just stupid level's of talent.

It's cool watching Rice as the "scramble rules" go into effect. He stops and turns in his route to look back at Wilson. He sees Wilson begin to roll away from the interior pressure and takes off up-field past the DB moving to cover his short route. Great execution on an adhoc play.

Anthony!

Reaction score
kjreid":1cdc9a86 said:

well for one it was not he 2nd half of the season, it was the last 4 games, and play calling was part or it, and PC wanting to go even more conservative. There is speculation he was injured in the SF game, and all that said if you were paying attention in the SB he did let it go and did thread the needle. So for one it was not as bad as you make it sound since it was at best 4 games and you could really argue it was only 2 games, and most importantly he was lights out in the SB.

cacksman

Reaction score
One thing I just thought about, Russell has an arm on him, but rarely do you see him overthrow a WR. Actually, sometimes you see him under throw a WR when he could maybe hit a guy in stride and make him come back for it.

I wonder if he does it on purpose to give his guys a chance. No one has a chance on an overthrown ball.

ivotuk

Reaction score
cacksman":20f2ej2v said:
One thing I just thought about, Russell has an arm on him, but rarely do you see him overthrow a WR. Actually, sometimes you see him under throw a WR when he could maybe hit a guy in stride and make him come back for it.

I wonder if he does it on purpose to give his guys a chance. No one has a chance on an overthrown ball.

Not sure where you see this at. He had a lot of overthrows. I think they come from Pete telling him to play conservative, so he launches it where either his WR can get it, or it goes over them.

Everyone says "don't let him roll to the right, get him rolling to the left!" But in the Superbowl he got flushed left, and launched a perfect spiral, on a rope to Golden. I've watched, and marveled that one throw over and over and over.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
This is the type of throw that makes Russ better than a lot of qbs..He can do this either side all the way up to 60 yrds..With his running ability it's a great weapon ..Got to love it that he's not stuck in the pocket and limited .

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Not to beat a guy after his release but why does Rice always fall down when catching the ball?

sutz

Reaction score
cacksman":2nhse7qs said:

Actually, he seemed to have a tendency to overthrow guys in the 1st Qtr almost all year IIRC. It's like he had to settle down or something.

Certainly, overall, his accuracy is not a problem to worry about.

Many times, underthrows are by design. Often the receiver is looking back for the throw and the DB isn't, so an undertrow can tend to draw a PI when the WR fights to get back to the ball.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I believe underthrows can also be attributed to being conservative. Can you score a touchdown by putting in the on the money? Sure, but if the guy's wide open...take a bit off to make sure he actually catches it for a huge gain.

JMR

Reaction score
Tate has great body control. Toss it up a little short, let him out-play the DB, fairly high percentage play.

Russell's production tapered a bit toward the end of the season, but he really only had 1 game that I would call a poor performance. Home vs Arizona, probably the worst game of his career. The other games he played fine -- certainly not prolific but effective -- but we just didn't throw it much. Played the scoreboard, conserative gameplan, nail down the #1 seed and regroup for the playoffs. He did absolutely throttle NO in Dec on MNF when there was a lot on the line.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
bigtrain21":29u4uvzl said:
Definitely, love that throw.

WilsonToRiceArizona.gif
What the heck are you talking about?, that was ONLY about 47 yards, while on the run, and so what if it was thrown with a perfect spiral, and touch, with pin point accuracy. :vodka:
That's why he's being paid all those big bucks eh? :lol:

Tokadub

Reaction score
It seems a lot of national media types just look at the ball velocity and determine Wilson has a mediocre arm. They don't seem to take into account that he does this on purpose so his throws are super easy to catch.

I never had the greatest touch with catching the balls otherwise I'd like to believe I could of been a good receiver at least at a high school level since I could always seem to get open. But for me the velocity of the ball had a very direct impact on my probability to make the catch. I would be more likely to make a very difficult catch barely in reach above me or sprinting and down at my ankles than a 100% fast ball right on the money.

I'm not sure if it's like that for everyone but watching Wilson I really like the way he throws the ball since they look so easy to catch. When he needs to throw a bullet he can easily do so, but I still think he might hold back just a tiny bit because catching a 100% fastball is a lot more difficult for most guys I think.

Really not a fan of guys like Kaepernick who seem to throw it super hard every time for no apparent reason. Kaepernick also has trouble going over guys since he usually throws these line drives, I've seen him make numerous throws where he can't get over someone and it's intercepted most importantly the NFC championship.

I'd take touch balls that are well placed and easy to catch over pure speed every time. And luckily Wilson does have a very strong arm so really he can do it all.