Russell's Cannon

acbass

Reaction score
Tokadub":1dsf8o1k said:
It seems a lot of national media types just look at the ball velocity and determine Wilson has a mediocre arm. They don't seem to take into account that he does this on purpose so his throws are super easy to catch.

I never had the greatest touch with catching the balls otherwise I'd like to believe I could of been a good receiver at least at a high school level since I could always seem to get open. But for me the velocity of the ball had a very direct impact on my probability to make the catch. I would be more likely to make a very difficult catch barely in reach above me or sprinting and down at my ankles than a 100% fast ball right on the money.

I'm not sure if it's like that for everyone but watching Wilson I really like the way he throws the ball since they look so easy to catch. When he needs to throw a bullet he can easily do so, but I still think he might hold back just a tiny bit because catching a 100% fastball is a lot more difficult for most guys I think.

Really not a fan of guys like Kaepernick who seem to throw it super hard every time for no apparent reason. Kaepernick also has trouble going over guys since he usually throws these line drives, I've seen him make numerous throws where he can't get over someone and it's intercepted most importantly the NFC championship.

I'd take touch balls that are well placed and easy to catch over pure speed every time. And luckily Wilson does have a very strong arm so really he can do it all.

I don't even think they look that far. They see his stat line and it doesn't say "350 yards passing" and they make these assumptions about being a game manager. That leads to a presumption he has a "weak arm." Although, I started hearing that a lot less as the season closed out. I can actually remember a couple of guys that called games raving about his arm strength. Ok, maybe no raving, but you get my point.

JMR

Reaction score
He was on NFLN this week and they credited him with the "sexiest" deep ball in the league so I think there is plenty of respect out there for his arm strength. You're always going to find clueless folks on the fringes.

sutz

Reaction score
acbass":2561b93l said:
Tokadub":2561b93l said:
It seems a lot of national media types just look at the ball velocity and determine Wilson has a mediocre arm. They don't seem to take into account that he does this on purpose so his throws are super easy to catch.

I never had the greatest touch with catching the balls otherwise I'd like to believe I could of been a good receiver at least at a high school level since I could always seem to get open. But for me the velocity of the ball had a very direct impact on my probability to make the catch. I would be more likely to make a very difficult catch barely in reach above me or sprinting and down at my ankles than a 100% fast ball right on the money.

I'm not sure if it's like that for everyone but watching Wilson I really like the way he throws the ball since they look so easy to catch. When he needs to throw a bullet he can easily do so, but I still think he might hold back just a tiny bit because catching a 100% fastball is a lot more difficult for most guys I think.

Really not a fan of guys like Kaepernick who seem to throw it super hard every time for no apparent reason. Kaepernick also has trouble going over guys since he usually throws these line drives, I've seen him make numerous throws where he can't get over someone and it's intercepted most importantly the NFC championship.

I'd take touch balls that are well placed and easy to catch over pure speed every time. And luckily Wilson does have a very strong arm so really he can do it all.

I don't even think they look that far. They see his stat line and it doesn't say "350 yards passing" and they make these assumptions about being a game manager. That leads to a presumption he has a "weak arm." Although, I started hearing that a lot less as the season closed out. I can actually remember a couple of guys that called games raving about his arm strength. Ok, maybe no raving, but you get my point.
A lot of that probably has to do with nobody watching us until the playoffs. Then it was, "Holy S$!t!! Who is this guy?" :)

zhawk

Reaction score
sutz":2q6upzme said:
acbass":2q6upzme said:
Tokadub":2q6upzme said:

A lot of that probably has to do with nobody watching us until the playoffs. Then it was, "Holy S$!t!! Who is this guy?" :)

this! :0190l:

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
sutz":2dmqf4zf said:
A lot of players get that sort of attention. I don't watch games from East Coast teams because I don't get them off the antenna. No ESPN, no NFLN. So when it comes to the playoffs, I finally get to see some of the better teams and specifically the better players. That's when I get to say, "Who is this guy?"
Plus, the local sports guys are pretty much useless at being objective. If it ain't the 49ers (and to a lesser degree, the Raiders) they either don't report it or get it wrong. Del Rodgers with the Sacramento NBC station (who played for the Packers and the Niners) is frickin' horrible. He gets stuff wrong all the time.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
RW is just fine. When he throws the ball, I just up with excitement waiting and expecting something good to happen. When Hasselbeck would throw I would close my eyes and cringe/hope am int wouldn't happen