Russell's hanging deep balls

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
For those that think my title is inappropriate let me explain what I want to discuss.

I have noticed that Wilsons deep balls tend to get to the receiver late many times. At first I thought Russell was putting too much arc on the ball but as I watch those throws carefully I see that his deep ball tends to die out on its descension a little too fast. To some it might not be obvious but if you watch many of the long incomplete throws to say Lockette and Kearse you can see that the receive jumps and the ball arrives a split second late as the receiver is falling back down. This is something I have always noticed about Wilson but hadn't really looked into it. I don't think its a arm strength problem because I am pretty confident that Wilson has enough arm and I have also seen him throw deep passes where the ball doesn't hang. I think it has to do with Wilson trying to put too much touch on the ball and therefore losing the power needed to deliver the ball on time.

Anybody else notice that in his deep balls? Or am I crazy?

2_0_6

Reaction score
When you don't have time to set your feet and let the route develop, most of the timing on the route goes out the window. If we had an O-line like Dallas, I think he would surprise the critics that remain. .

nepahawk

Reaction score
Your blaming Wilson for Lockette and Kearse jumping too soon?
It is the receivers job to time the flight of the ball and time his leap.
I don't believe the ball is loosing that much velocity, from the time the WR starts his leap to the arrival of the ball.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
I don't think Russell can defy the laws of gravity (yet). He does tend to throw rainbows, but if the timing is off between passer and receiver they just need to work on it together.

Smellyman

Reaction score
one of the best deep ball passers in the game and stats back it up. This year has had an up and down WR corps and struggling oline.

RW's deep ball is about 10,000th on the list of issues.

bigwrm

Reaction score
Thanks for posting your thoughts. His deep balls do tend to be underthrown more than they're overthrown which is likely a product of the touch/arc he puts on it, as you mentioned. Because of this he doesn't always hit his receivers in stride or allow them to pick up additional yards after the catch on long balls. But the benefit is that his passes are very catchable and he always gives his receivers a chance to make a play. Well worth the trade off in my opinion and why it's important for us to have receivers who can fight for the ball. I also think his high arcing passes may be more difficult for defenders to track, although that's just speculation on my part.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Most of his deep balls tend to do this. I've made a thread about it last season. The last game he did a great job though of putting the ball where it needed to be.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I am with the physics comment, if you throw the ball 40 or 50 yrds in the air with a certain arc I am guessing that is going to be about the same for everyone.

Also all QB suffer this, and Russ is above average on his delivery of deep balls. Sometimes when the timing of the route gets messed up the next best plan is to put it up way that gives your WR a chance to go get it. Damn think what we could to beast receiver in the mold of Calvin Johnson or Brandon Marshall etc...

Chawks1

Reaction score
DavidCruz24":1utmkotf said:
For those that think my title is inappropriate let me explain what I want to discuss.

I have noticed that Wilsons deep balls tend to get to the receiver late many times. At first I thought Russell was putting too much arc on the ball but as I watch those throws carefully I see that his deep ball tends to die out on its descension a little too fast. To some it might not be obvious but if you watch many of the long incomplete throws to say Lockette and Kearse you can see that the receive jumps and the ball arrives a split second late as the receiver is falling back down. This is something I have always noticed about Wilson but hadn't really looked into it. I don't think its a arm strength problem because I am pretty confident that Wilson has enough arm and I have also seen him throw deep passes where the ball doesn't hang. I think it has to do with Wilson trying to put too much touch on the ball and therefore losing the power needed to deliver the ball on time.

Anybody else notice that in his deep balls? Or am I crazy?

Yes. Thank you for bringing this up. I thought I was the only one noting this too. This has been on going since he has come into the league. He tends to under throw deep balls than overthrow them. An example just last week was a ball thrown to Kearse with nobody around him but Kearse had to stop for the catch. It was a big gain but had RW led him it would have been a TD.

It wasn't as noticeable when Golden Tate was here because he would contest them or drop underneath to get them. 2 good examples of this are the 2 catches last year Tate had against the Rams, both under thrown, which turned into TDs.

But RW has the arm strength. A good example of this is the deep rainbow he threw to Sidney Rice for a game winning TD against New England 2 years ago.

You rarely see RW overthrow someone downfield. If he overthrows someone it is usually on the sidelines and the ball goes out of bounds.

I can't seem to put a finger on the reasoning.

brettb3

Reaction score
Meh, non issue imo. No one's perfect on deep balls. On balance, he's one of the most accurate deep throwers in the league.

SeaChase

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":3iv9j9p9 said:
Wait...is this post about his passes?

It has to be. If he were putting the deep balls were they needed to be he wouldn't be divorced...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I have nothing to add, I just wanted to say the title of this thread got me hawt.

A

Anonymous

I'm trying to find it, but Russ' accuracy is put on display in that video with the guys that do all the trick shots. (somebody help me with the name?).

He is hitting a garbage can on the field from sitting in a seat in the stands?

SeaChase

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":271jvqdz said:
I'm trying to find it, but Russ' accuracy is put on display in that video with the guys that do all the trick shots. (somebody help me with the name?).

He is hitting a garbage can on the field from sitting in a seat in the stands?

Ron Jeremy?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
[youtube]WwpD-daFx8U[/youtube]

And Pete Carrol with some amazing tosses too.

- bsd RPA