Russell's hanging deep balls

A

Anonymous

Chase, you're killing me...

Naw, I found it.

So there's gonna be a few "takes" done in making the video, but I seriously doubt there was much left on the cutting room floor.

[youtube]WwpD-daFx8U[/youtube]

A

Anonymous

Smellyman":1wzu3lhm said:
one of the best deep ball passers in the game and stats back it up. This year has had an up and down WR corps and struggling oline.

RW's deep ball is about 10,000th on the list of issues.

Exactly.

I'd be more concerned about Smelly never capitalizing the first word of every post.

Boycie

Reaction score
DavidCruz24":2hfhk9ej said:
For those that think my title is inappropriate let me explain what I want to discuss.

I have noticed that Wilsons deep balls tend to get to the receiver late many times. At first I thought Russell was putting too much arc on the ball but as I watch those throws carefully I see that his deep ball tends to die out on its descension a little too fast. To some it might not be obvious but if you watch many of the long incomplete throws to say Lockette and Kearse you can see that the receive jumps and the ball arrives a split second late as the receiver is falling back down. This is something I have always noticed about Wilson but hadn't really looked into it. I don't think its a arm strength problem because I am pretty confident that Wilson has enough arm and I have also seen him throw deep passes where the ball doesn't hang. I think it has to do with Wilson trying to put too much touch on the ball and therefore losing the power needed to deliver the ball on time.

Anybody else notice that in his deep balls? Or am I crazy?

I don't know, that TD pass he threw to Baldwin hung there for a it, but I think that was by design.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is one of the most accurate deep ball passers Ive ever seen. Throwing a deep ball is always going to have some variation to it. Whether your feet are set, on the run, falling back in the pocket, stepping up in the pocket. For the myriad ways Wilson throws a deep Id say hes damn elite at it. Much better than the dead ducks of Hasselbeck who btw was the second best quarterback in team history.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I knew Russell had stopped pressing when he started to put more air under his passes. It was a great sign.

I would add that we don't have really great high point pass catchers. They have had their moments, but who on our team do you just put the ball up high and know he will go get it?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Everyone knows I love Russell's balls. The way he hangs them out there they're very easy to grab. He and our receivers may need to adjust their touch on occasion, but when going deep, nobody beats RW's balls.

SC

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
""Or am I crazy?"" = YES.
It takes 2 players to make a successful catch, the QB of course, but also the receiver has to do his part and run the route and be in proper position to make the reception while running at the appropriate speed and adjusting to the flight of the ball while in the air. To blame only the QB on incompletions is only looking at one of the two sides of the equation. IMO-RW would greatly benefit from at least 1 more really, really good WR on the roster that runs excellent routes, high points the ball and has enough speed to get open with sharp cuts and breaks. There are some receivers like that in the upcoming draft & I hope the Seahawks get one early in the draft.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
A good example of this was the underthrow to Richardson last week where he hurt his knee. Not sure why Wilson doesnt lead the WRs on those throws, maybe used to Tate going up and getting it?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Scottemojo":15p0h3qv said:
I knew Russell had stopped pressing when he started to put more air under his passes. It was a great sign.

I would add that we don't have really great high point pass catchers. They have had their moments, but who on our team do you just put the ball up high and know he will go get it?

Honestly ? Kearse. Either he's going to get it, or no one is.

I'm not sure how it's possible that a ball slows down, on it's way down. It's against physics- terminal velocity and all that.

That said, he did underthrow PRich on his last deep ball he caught. Personally, throwing it a bit short is probably a bit better in today's NFL; if you miss you're likely to get a flag to help you out. That said throwing it deeper is a bit safer.

Russ has seemed on point on his deep throws the last half of the season. I'm not overly concerned, and I think we'll see a few against the Pack.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Jacknut16":2r79k91e said:
A good example of this was the underthrow to Richardson last week where he hurt his knee. Not sure why Wilson doesnt lead the WRs on those throws, maybe used to Tate going up and getting it?

So now Russell's balls are responsible for injuring Richardson's knee? Those are some powerful balls my man.

SC

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Wow, I open this thread expecting this to be the latest addition to Ben and Jerry's menu -- what a dissappointment!

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
It's not like he's Peyton Manning.....oh wait, Peyton was throwing it deep and almost everyone of them sailed past his receivers. Until I see a concern.....I'm not concern about Russell's deep balls. It takes two to tangle and if one is out of step then the dance won't look right.

Largent80

Reaction score
StoneCold":2bxptr92 said:
Jacknut16":2bxptr92 said:

So now Russell's balls are responsible for injuring Richardson's knee? Those are some powerful balls my man.

SC

:lol:

A

Anonymous

I am going to put the foot back into some balls here in a minute...

:les:

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":35m7ek6h said:

If we are talking about a 50 yard bomb, Kearse. If we are talking about a ball snapped in the red zone, nobody.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":k8v4qekx said:
Scottemojo":k8v4qekx said:

If we are talking about a 50 yard bomb, Kearse. If we are talking about a ball snapped in the red zone, nobody.
Exactly.
Last week Simon got abused by an average route runner who can play above the rim. We don't have that guy.

Personally, one of the biggest differences I see between Russ and so many of the other QBs I watch is Russ almost never hangs his guys out to dry. It has happened, but I watch some of these guys throwing get you killed passes two or three times a game, Russ throws a handful a season.

12thbrah

Reaction score
lmao at this thread title. my mind went to a weird place reading this

Latest posts