Russel's "Decline"

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Could he be hurt?

His runs look a little slower and for certain his accuracy (not in just the last game either) has been off.

Something is off, hopefully he recovers or adjusts in this next game.

That Atlanta game was so otherworldly perhaps we projected him a bit too optimistically from that one?

We rely on Lynch and defense but we really need production from him too.

Northhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":lpnruhj6 said:
The Radish":lpnruhj6 said:
I've noticed teams are trying to keep the outside sealed off so he can't run. Then the next layer fills in the holes in the middle.

I noticed several times he started to run and they covered the lanes up quickly. ................

:les:
This, and actually they are spying him with a LB in the middle. That's how those middle lanes are being covered up so quickly.

These two points are bang-on and IMHO the reason for the change in the last 5 games. The challenge is determing how to adjust.

I think Percy was a big part of the plan on Saturday to adjust. Make early use of him and have the defense account for him (e.g. the hand-off) to free up the others and the possibility for RW to run later in the 1st half and in the 2nd.

When Percy went out, they relied on others to fill his role but met with mixed results either because of weather, they couldn't get seperation or RW didn't throw to them when they did get free. Plus, Lynch was having success so they kept it on the ground more.

Seeker

Reaction score
I counted only two passes that could really be labeled RW's fault. everything else seemed to be a genuine commitment to the run and very conservative play calling (most likely due to the weather which wasn't kind to either team). he will blow up this game.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Giblien":j2inu9bm said:
hoxrox":j2inu9bm said:
#3 No rhythm passing game to speak of. This is an off season priority, IMO. Either call or install some plays that can get Russell in a rhythm. The backyard scrambling style isn't sustainable against good defenses who spy and contain well.
:13:

I Think we need to get some more quick passes a la 2005 Seahawks. IF we can execute some quick passes, it negates the blitz and makes this offense much more versatile.

TBF that's precisely what 5 yard slants were for, but he was missing them.

Just so I don't get falsely accused of "concern trolling" again, I'll preface with what I've said a bunch of times: I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE Wilson as a QB. He's my favorite of the five "next generation" QBs (Cam, Kap, RGIII, Luck, Russ). He's my second favorite QB to watch in the NFL (behind Rodgers), and one day, I expect him to be my favorite). He reminds me of Steve Young, who is my favorite QB of all time. Ok that said:

A) He's just not playing well and has been struggling with his accuracy, which has always been a little less consistent than is ideal (as was even noted by many last year and this pre-season). This is just to say I don't think there's anything "wrong" with him. All players, and young players in particular, have ups and downs. He's just been having a bit of a down spell, and I have no doubt whatsoever he'll be back up again (and maybe as soon as Sunday...).

B) Teams have adjusted to him. Wilson has a very good internal clock. Basically he has yet to develop the decision-making ability to match his internal clock; that's still coming though. Part of it is that while overall he's a very good QB, he's an EXCEPTIONALLY good QB out of the pocket. He's smart, he's accurate, he's patient, and he's improvisational out of the pocket. He's just a joy to watch. That said, with his good internal clock way too frequently he bails on the pocket at three seconds. Three seconds is decision time for a QB: he either has to bail on the pocket or step into it, as continuing to hang out "above" the pocket is a recipe for disaster. Wilson still has a strong preference for bailing on it. Part of that, I think, is because he's SO GOOD outside of the pocket, and part of that is just because he's young and still learning. People say it's a height thing. I think those people are categorically wrong (e.g. Brees and Young both did incredible damage within the pocket after the three second mark -- that's where Brees does his most damage -- and neither of them will ever be described as tall or of "prototypical" QB size either). What has happened is that defenses have caught on to this tendency, and have become incredibly more disciplined in their gaps while pass rushing, making sure not to overshoot and let Wilson get outside. You can't take everything away from him -- he's too good for that -- but you can work to minimize his opportunity to do what he's most comfortable with (and where he does the most damage), and that's what defenses have done. He'll still beat you, but if you don't maintain gap integrity (or even worse, go for the swim move over the outside shoulder of the tackle and get caught and pushed above the pocket) in the pass rush, he'll beat you over and over and over again.

In the long run, he might always struggle with his accuracy a bit, but every HOF QB has something they'll always struggle with a bit (e.g. Both Steve Young and Elway were like Russ and inconsistent with their accuracy -- all world for ten plays, and then way off for the next three; Marino and Brett both always struggled with their decision making). Where I think the real improvement will come is in taking his truly exceptional internal clock and learning to use it to make the decision between breaking away from the pocket and stepping into it. He does this some of course, but he'll get better. It's something that's teachable.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Well Russell needs to get his stuff together because you know the Niners are gonna do everything to shut down Marshawn and force Russell to beat them. And right now, I don't like his chances of doing that.

seahawks08

Reaction score
vant":2yjibsab said:
I'm OK with Russell's performance. He definitely should not be taking unnecessary risks when the Seahawks are in the lead.

Fieldgulls are reporting that he was off on 4 or 5 throws. Considering the weather, I'm not upset about it. The key is, we did not turn the ball over.

They walked into this game with the running game in mind more so than any other game in the season. We came into this knowing that we would have very low pass attempts, and even lower deep pass attempts.

The best part of all? If Russell did get removed from the game, we were still going to win it.

We do not ride on one player like some other teams do.

I think this play is normally done on the 4th quarter so that they don't wear RW out. If you see the Carolina game against 49ers, Cam Newton was gasping for breath in the first quarter. If you can keep your team in play, then 4th quarter is where you do the most damage.

Abach

Reaction score
As stated earlier in this thread, I feel like defenses have adjusted to Wilson. Similar to Kaep, Wilson thrived last year with the read option. Now that teams have the criteria of how to stop the read option, it has closed that dimention of RW3's game. I have faith that he will rebound this week against SF, but also maintain some of my doubts due to his performance there on the road. Go hawks!

lukerguy

Reaction score
To me, he doesn't look like he's having as much fun playing "backyard football". I am not suggesting the pressure gets to him, because he's a robot, but I do think he's trying to not make mistakes rather than just letting it loose.

Seeker

Reaction score
Abach":m0e1lxy2 said:
As stated earlier in this thread, I feel like defenses have adjusted to Wilson. Similar to Kaep, Wilson thrived last year with the read option. Now that teams have the criteria of how to stop the read option, it has closed that dimention of RW3's game. I have faith that he will rebound this week against SF, but also maintain some of my doubts due to his performance there on the road. Go hawks!

The few read option plays we ran were doing pretty well, just seemed like we had the engine in 1st gear to stay safe. there were plays where the tackle clearly bit enough to make Russ run but he would choose to hold back. could be orders from above, not sure though.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The Radish":1lwpxdej said:
I've noticed teams are trying to keep the outside sealed off so he can't run. Then the next layer fills in the holes in the middle.

I noticed several times he started to run and they covered the lanes up quickly. To me he is much better breaking out of the pocket when he runs backwards or out to the side. Those are something that is much harder to cover. Plus when he does that he wears out the defenders in the last quarter of the game.

So I guess I think they need to let him clear out more.

This^

scutterhawk

Reaction score
49thHawk":h2nmt1nm said:
hawksfansinceday1":h2nmt1nm said:
The Radish":h2nmt1nm said:

I noticed several times he started to run and they covered the lanes up quickly. ................

This, and actually they are spying him with a LB in the middle. That's how those middle lanes are being covered up so quickly.

These two points are bang-on and IMHO the reason for the change in the last 5 games. The challenge is determing how to adjust.

I think Percy was a big part of the plan on Saturday to adjust. Make early use of him and have the defense account for him (e.g. the hand-off) to free up the others and the possibility for RW to run later in the 1st half and in the 2nd.
When Percy went out, they relied on others to fill his role but met with mixed results either because of weather, they couldn't get seperation or RW didn't throw to them when they did get free. Plus, Lynch was having success so they kept it on the ground more.
Stay with what works?, yep.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seeker":32rbiaxa said:
I counted only two passes that could really be labeled RW's fault. everything else seemed to be a genuine commitment to the run and very conservative play calling (most likely due to the weather which wasn't kind to either team). he will blow up this game.

I can think of three 3rd and short passes he missed, add in another 5-6 plays he was indecisive on, floated balls and didn't keep the ball on read options for potential big gains and it all adds up to WAY more than two passes.

If I was in charge I'd come out Sunday afternoon with a bunch of quick short passes to get Russell in rhythm, rather than waiting until it's 3rd and 6 before even letting him throw, hoping he's accurate.