RW injury - good long term?

chet380

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":2meygazr said:
RW's ability to pass off scramble plays (yes, hopefully when it is the best decision) is one of the things that makes him so special. And his ability to run the RO keeper so well, when he decides to put the game on his shoulders late in critical games, is what makes him truly deadly.

He can handle pocket-only passing, but: Full-spectrum Russell is Radical.
Agree 100%.

But if he doesn't completely recover from these injuries, will we ever see "Full-Spectrum Russell" again? Imagine not seeing those miraculous escapes from certain sacks that resulted in spectacular passes or long runs (more than a few to win games in the last seconds). It would a great regret not to see those Houdini moves again, but hopefully the medical staff Jedis will give us a fully healthy RW again.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
olyfan63":1bfzatj7 said:
Russell has historically used his mobility as a CRUTCH at times, and it has been a crutch because he could always fall back on his Houdini act when things got sketchy back there.

This is EXACTLY my point. It is only natural to use your talents which can hold you back from developing other talents. There is also a difference to how everyone else plays as you points out.

Those that claim that RW is such a great pocket passer aren't wrong in that he is great passing from the pocket when he stays there. If the belief is that he is elite at staying in the pocket then those people simply don't watch the games. If you compare RW to Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Rodgers, Rothleisburger etc then he is far far from elite as it relates to moving around in the pocket and not getting hit. I am NOT saying they are better than him overall nor that they are better at passing accuracy when they throw the ball simply that they move around within the pocket better using defenders speed and angles against them to buy time. This is something RW is now forced to work on and I think that is part of why we think the O-line has improved so much. They now have more knowledge of what will happen.

Would never wish the injury on someone and rather have him fully mobile, but the injuries happen and I do believe they will help RW long term despite the ridicule some people are dishing out about this notion

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Russ's development may be helped by this injury forcing him to stay in the pocket, but Russ's magic comes from his ability to run.

StoneCold

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":5w1jlpud said:
RW's ability to pass off scramble plays (yes, hopefully when it is the best decision) is one of the things that makes him so special. And his ability to run the RO keeper so well, when he decides to put the game on his shoulders late in critical games, is what makes him truly deadly.

He can handle pocket-only passing, but: Full-spectrum Russell is Radical.

Agreed and I hope he does heal close to 100% this year. I think he has learned to trust the pocket. Early in his career he was still learning the progressions and our Olines have not been the greatest. Scrambles became a reflexive move to survive. it served him and us well, but he has needed to take the next step and clearly showed the second half last year that he has all the tools. I think it's possible that his injuries teach him, not so much about staying in the pocket, but how to use the scramble more judiciously. A tool, not a survival mechanism.

Latest posts