Ryan Neal offered one-year tender

sc85sis

Reaction score
Apparently he’s been given a one-year tender for under $3 million. That’s a steal for the Hawks but kind of sucks for Ryan money-wise. We will have to see if another team beats it (and if so, will the Hawks match).

Edited details for clarity on the tender.

OP
OP
sc85sis

sc85sis

Reaction score
He’s worth more but our cap is an issue. Hope he stays and gets a deal next year for more.

rcaido

Reaction score
wow what a low ball offer. Neal is so good and has proven himself since Adams came here.

renofox

Reaction score
I would have preferred they gave him the 2nd round tender (4.3M) - he is still a great value at that level.

I have a feeling he's going to get a much higher offer and walk with no compensation for the Seahawks.

That will leave a hole on the roster that will have to be plugged (since it's almost a given that JA will be injured). They'll end up having to pay more $ for a lesser player.

Big gamble to save 1.7M and disrespect a player in the process.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I would have preferred they gave him the 2nd round tender (4.3M) - he is still a great value at that level.

I have a feeling he's going to get a much higher offer and walk with no compensation for the Seahawks.

That will leave a hole on the roster that will have to be plugged (since it's almost a given that JA will be injured). They'll end up having to pay more $ for a lesser player.

Big gamble to save 1.7M and disrespect a player in the process.
Isnt CJ GJ available as well?

Jville

Reaction score
I was thinking in terms of a 2nd round tender as well. But, this way all parties discover his market value. Ryan has certainly earn that consideration.

Scout

Reaction score
I think this is the first move where I am scratching my head because Neal is worth more than that. But then again when you sink so much money into Adams this is the ripple effect of that decision.

I believe the team sees that continued efforts to shore up the front seven can mitigate any issues with the backend. But the NFL is designed where you need a combination of good front sevens and secondaries now to obtain pressures and coverage sacks.

We shall see if the gamble pays off.

QWERTY

Reaction score
The team can match other offers?
They can match the offer but too bad that if someone overpays, then we dont get a draft pick.

A 2nd round tender is reasonable but not sure the price for 1st round tender.

kidhawk

Reaction score
According to what I've read, these are our tender offer possibilities with him:

• First-round tender: $6.005 million
  • Second-round tender: $4.304 million
  • Right of first refusal tender: $2.627 million

I don't see anyone giving up a first or second round pick to sign him, so using any other tender would automatically eat up those cap dollars. By using the lower offer, we either keep him at a reasonable price, we match another team's offer for a deal or let him walk.

I hope we can keep him, but I can see the logic behind using this particular tender here.

Mizak

Reaction score
Or we can just trade Jamal Adams to the Bengals for picks since Bengals lost their 2 starting safeties to Falcons and Panthers.

James in PA

Reaction score
I need new glasses. At a glance, I thought I read "Ryan Leaf offered one-year tender."

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I would much rather have this guy starting than Adams. It's a shame the team is lowballing him like this. He was one of the best safeties in the league last year.
All this means is that the Hawks get to match (or not) any deal Neal negotiates with another team. Neal will get paid by someone.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Or we can just trade Jamal Adams to the Bengals for picks since Bengals lost their 2 starting safeties to Falcons and Panthers.
We would have to give them picks to take on his horrendous contract.