Ryan Tannehill Signs Extension through 2020

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
huskylawyer":1b1e3z5r said:
The deal gives Wilson more leverage IMHO. Tannehill is a borderline above average QB, but not in Wilson's class. Thinking that he would come here and have the same success is laughable (how quickly people forget the Tavaris Jackson experiment). He was pretty below average his fist two years, has had some decent talent around him on the offensive side of the ball, but it still maddeningly inconsistent. And RW's rushing (6.1 per car, 34% of his runs go for first down, 11 TDs and 1800 yards if memory serves me correctly) give Wilson the clear edge. I'm not really sold on him--Dolphins being the Dolphins.

Cam will likely get more, and RW will likely argue he should get more than both, which seems reasonable.
So how is he borderline above when his passing numbers were better than Wilson's this year again? I really do not get that logic. Tannehill is asked to do much more than Wilson when it comes to micromanaging the offense and passing, yet he can still run the ball when needed. This season he passed for over 4000 yards, and had 27 touchdowns with only 12 ints. He also rushed for over 300 yards on top of that. Tannehill also played behind a bad passing line similar to Wilson, and he was asked to make more difficult throws on a consistent basis.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Tannehill is a good comparison, both good qbs that run when they have to. But Ryan doesn't have Lynch, nor does he have any receivers to speak of, or a tight end.

Miami doesn't have the number one defense two years in a row either.

To compare Tannehill to Tarvaris is silly. TJ isn't near the QB that Ryan is, and using his history as validation for your argument falls flat.

Tannehill had done more with less. He's not Russell Wilson Good, but they are comparable players.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3ifaubkf said:
huskylawyer":3ifaubkf said:
The deal gives Wilson more leverage IMHO. Tannehill is a borderline above average QB, but not in Wilson's class. Thinking that he would come here and have the same success is laughable (how quickly people forget the Tavaris Jackson experiment). He was pretty below average his fist two years, has had some decent talent around him on the offensive side of the ball, but it still maddeningly inconsistent. And RW's rushing (6.1 per car, 34% of his runs go for first down, 11 TDs and 1800 yards if memory serves me correctly) give Wilson the clear edge. I'm not really sold on him--Dolphins being the Dolphins.

Cam will likely get more, and RW will likely argue he should get more than both, which seems reasonable.
So how is he borderline above when his passing numbers were better than Wilson's this year again? I really do not get that logic. Tannehill is asked to do much more than Wilson when it comes to micromanaging the offense and passing, yet he can still run the ball when needed. This season he passed for over 4000 yards, and had 27 touchdowns with only 12 ints. He also rushed for over 300 yards on top of that. Tannehill also played behind a bad passing line similar to Wilson, and he was asked to make more difficult throws on a consistent basis.
So passing numbers are what makes a great? Where exactly would you place Wilson in the QB pecking order? Top 10? Top 15?

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":37o9lk8y said:
huskylawyer":37o9lk8y said:

Well you left out Tannehill's first two years. He had a 76 rating his rookie year with 13 INTs to 12 TDs. His second year he had a 81.7 year rating with 24 TDs and 17 INTs. I give him credit for improving, but last year he had Mike Wallace, who is a legit #1 WR (we don't have one if we are being honest), and Hartline is comparable to Baldwin and Kearse, who function as our #1s. And as someone who watches the Dolphins on NFL Sunday Ticket (I try to follow all the young QBs), Tannehill is way to skittish in the pocket (which is to be expected as he primarily played WR at A&M), which is one reason the Dolphins led the league in most sacks, hurries and hits (admittedly, their o-line is pedestrian). Have the dolphins even had a winning season with Tannehill as their QB?

We had the #7 ranked defense and Lynch in the backfield and still finished 7-9. Wilson pushed us over, which is crazy considering our WR corp...

mikeak

Reaction score
The clear problem is a coach that asks Russell to do less and limit turnovers. So by design his numbers will not measure up with his abilities.

To use the strategy of the team against the QB won't sit well with the player.

HOWEVER how else do you judge the player except for using numbers that represents his position????

So the parties need to find some middle ground

Scottemojo

Reaction score
mikeak":2wjnhlq9 said:
The clear problem is a coach that asks Russell to do less and limit turnovers. So by design his numbers will not measure up with his abilities.

HOWEVER how else do you judge the player except for using numbers that represents his position????

You pay him for wins.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
And if Wilson ever hit free agency (doubtful, as we'd tag him), he's probably going to be the top 5 paid players in the league due to the bidding war. Teams like Chicago, Buffalo, the Jets, etc. would basically ask him to name his price. The Hawks don't want to get "Flacco'd".

mikeak

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1806y7mj said:
mikeak":1806y7mj said:

You pay him for wins.

So Tony Romo had 12 wins last year and should be the highest paid QB?

Matt Ryan had 6 wins last year and should be paid in accordance with that? (22nd)

Cam Newton went 5-8 last year (24th)

Or does it only apply in certain cases?.........

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
mikeak":3r8nlcz4 said:
Scottemojo":3r8nlcz4 said:
mikeak":3r8nlcz4 said:

You pay him for wins.

So Tony Romo had 12 wins last year and should be the highest paid QB?

Matt Ryan had 6 wins last year and should be paid in accordance with that? (22nd)

Cam Newton went 5-8 last year (24th)

Or does it only apply in certain cases?.........

Trent Dilfer won a superbowl, he must have been an elite QB

kearly

Reaction score
C'mon now. Dilfer was 58-55 as a starter. Wilson is 36-12. Wilson has been very good for more than one year (and Dilfer was never good).

Romo has earned his money. It seems silly to bring him up. If Romo was healthy and 26 years old right now like Wilson is, he'd be making crazy money.

mikeak

Reaction score
kearly":4e2fkxne said:
C'mon now. Dilfer was 58-55 as a starter. Wilson is 36-12. Wilson has been very good for more than one year (and Dilfer was never good).

Romo has earned his money. It seems silly to bring him up. If Romo was healthy and 26 years old right now like Wilson is, he'd be making crazy money.

I agree 100% with you

My point was more to the fact that you cannot only look at stats and you cannot only look at wins. With a system that limits the QB you have to look at "soft data" as in how he performs when needed, in training and what confidence the coach has in the QB.

I would expect the soft categories to rate very high for RW and he should get a very nice contract offer. My point was you can't look at stats and say Tannehill is as good and you can't just look at wins and say Cam Newton is the 24th best qb last year

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Shouldn't the real question be: What are Russell Wilson talents and leadership skills worth to the team? Yes, it is true that RW was the QB, when we reached the SBs, but do we reach the SB without Lynch? Do we reach the SB without this tenacious defense? Shouldn't these other parts of the team be paid too?
I don't believe RW should be paid more than 1/10th of the Team's Salary Cap per year. And his deal should be done in comparison to his worth to the team, and not to other QBs. I understand, it is not "the norm". I understand it is not popular. And I understand people will see it as disrespect. And that's ok. If RW wants to walk away, so be it.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3n2pxqb4 said:
Shouldn't the real question be: What are Russell Wilson talents and leadership skills worth to the team? Yes, it is true that RW was the QB, when we reached the SBs, but do we reach the SB without Lynch? Do we reach the SB without this tenacious defense? Shouldn't these other parts of the team be paid too?
I don't believe RW should be paid more than 1/10th of the Team's Salary Cap per year. And his deal should be done in comparison to his worth to the team, and not to other QBs. I understand, it is not "the norm". I understand it is not popular. And I understand people will see it as disrespect. And that's ok. If RW wants to walk away, so be it.

The salary cap for each team is 143 million, so you are basically saying you won't pay RW more than $14 million a year. Unless the Hawks strike lightning in a bottle again with a rookie QB (probably have a better chance winning powerball), the only QBs you'll get for less than $14 million are players like Mark Sanchez, Ryan Mallet, Tyrod Taylor, etc., etc., as all other legit QBs are making more (heck, even Andy Dalton is pulling $16 million/year). Hawks aren't a super bowl contender with those types behind center, so you are basically saying, "I'd rather not win SuperBowls than pay my QB more than $14 million......".

You can't set compensation in a vacuum (e.g., not consider what other QBs are making). Because the reality of the situation, we have to pay what the market dictates, or we're just going to sign guys who will play for any amount (and those who do that aren't very good, e.g., the Tebow's of the world).

I think QBs are overpaid in the NFL (the "QB Premium"). Guys like Cutler, Stafford, Dalton are making obscene money. But it is the "market" and if the Hawks get cute, it will bite them in the arse.

And check this table. If you take out QBs on rookie deals and Brady (who did a nice deal since Gisele is worth $200+ million), you ain't getting any legit QB for under $14 million/year.

guaranteeddealsOTC.jpg

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Some of the new details coming out on the Tannehill deal actually appear pretty favorable to the Seahawks. Tannehill only gets $25M fully guaranteed. The rest is guaranteed for injury only. According to JLC, Dolphins can cut him for skill after two years with little consequence and about $57M left on the deal.

So, Tannehill, Kaep, and Dalton all essentially signed pay-as-you-go type deals. Question is if RW belongs in that group or a step above with the "elite" (who have more secure deals).

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2y0tth4e said:
Seems you know nothing about the quarterback wage scale. Alex Smith a true game manager in every sense of the term makes 17M. And Kansas City is pretty happy to have him because WITH the right weapons the man is very dangerous.

How about we give Wilson the same chance like we're only starting to do. To you I say....."Good Day Sir". Thanks for playing but YOU LOSE. Catch up with how the current economics work would be my advice. Particularly for quarterbacks, fact is Tannehill just set the floor like it or not.

Now the Seahawks have to deal and I figure 22M is about what it'll take to extend Wilson. They better jump on it because Luck and Newton are up next and the money they will get will make your eyes bleed and brain explode, count on it.

It will only get worse when we win in Santa Clara this February. The Seahawks are playing a high stakes Russian Roulette game they're likely to lose and redefine what "getting Flacco"d" really means. If they continue with the lowballing.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
King Felix is probably wiping his brow that win percentage isn't the #1 factor in determining starting pitcher value. I don't really get the rationale in fans arguing Russell is in some other league above Tannehill when the primary objective is winning football games, not getting your teams players maximum contract value, thereby reducing the number of impact players available on the roster. There was an appreciable difference in the Fins PPG allowed and the Seahawks, and that's kind of a big deal in a starting QB's win percentage. You only need to see Wilson's record when the Hawks allow 24-34 points (Seattle's D has never allowed more than 34 points during his tenure), it is not very good. Tannehill's year to year improvement arc, a smaller reliance on speed and mobility (both of which has a shorter shelf life than a QB's passing acumen), and 2014 individual numbers argue he is in Russell's league and that #3's contract should not be appreciably higher, saving the Seahawks vital cap space.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":wowi1dsh said:
McGruff":wowi1dsh said:
Factor in rushing by the Qb and how does the comparison fair?

I mean you've got me there RW ran for 800 Tannehill for 300 but is that the point you want to bring up when discussing franchise qb contracts?
It's part of the package; part of what Wilson does, and you can't ignore the fact that it adds value. Do you ignore accessories on a new car too, and only look at the primary raw performance stats? "OMG, 0-60/quarter mile/top speed/HP are all that matter!!!"

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":bzi5c58p said:
Trent Dilfer won a superbowl, he must have been an elite QB
You should stop while you're behind...comparing Dilfer to Wilson is beyond asinine.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":28aj04f6 said:
Hawkfan77":28aj04f6 said:
TheRealDTM":28aj04f6 said:
Whatever he gets give wilson 500k more and call it good. Tanehill is a very fair comparison.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha, how is that a fair comparison?

Or is this more of that "satire" we've come to know you by?

Not satire no

RK PLAYER TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RATE YDS/G
11 Ryan Tannehill, QB MIA 392 590 66.4 4,045 6.86 50 27 12 46 92.8 253
15 Russell Wilson, QB SEA 285 452 63.1 3,475 7.69 80 20 7 42 95.0 217

RW has been on the more successful team I don't think he's done nearly as much to make them successful as he thinks. I think RW is worth more than Tannehill but not by much maybe 1 million a year or so more.

Furthermore Tannehill had zero run game and a shit o-line, he was asked to do more to contribute to the teams offense and still put up favorable numbers. They were drafted in the same year, they are the same age. They are both athletically gifted players.

I get it that you think i'm an idiot but stop and consider before you drop 1000 ha has

edit: source http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... ssingYards

So on nearly 150 more attempts, Tannehill only has about 600 more passing yards?

Tannehill isn't a terrible QB by any stretch, but he's in that distant 3rd position of the 2012 class behind Luck and Russ.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
TheWebHead":r20mwc35 said:
King Felix is probably wiping his brow that win percentage isn't the #1 factor in determining starting pitcher value. I don't really get the rationale in fans arguing Russell is in some other league above Tannehill when the primary objective is winning football games, not getting your teams players maximum contract value, thereby reducing the number of impact players available on the roster. There was an appreciable difference in the Fins PPG allowed and the Seahawks, and that's kind of a big deal in a starting QB's win percentage. You only need to see Wilson's record when the Hawks allow 24-34 points (Seattle's D has never allowed more than 34 points during his tenure), it is not very good. Tannehill's year to year improvement arc, a smaller reliance on speed and mobility (both of which has a shorter shelf life than a QB's passing acumen), and 2014 individual numbers argue he is in Russell's league and that #3's contract should not be appreciably higher, saving the Seahawks vital cap space.
I can only assume you're trolling? If not please get serious given the fact that IF Wilson ran Miami's more pass heavy offense with a deep threat like Wallace there wouldn't be any comparison between the two. Much like it was when they were in college.

You do know that if Tannehill dropped we would have taken him if it was up to Pete? Because he's what Pete typically loves. Thank God, Pete doesn't run the show by himself. Because like Philadelphia and Washington, Miami was hoping to steal Wilson in the 3rd round among others.

The fact is if he were 3 inches taller it would have been between him and Luck as the top pick and it's been proven out in spades in the NFL in the real deal the last three years.