Sad for Pete

Welshers2

Reaction score
I was wrong you all were right. I was just speaking emotionally and anecdotally.

Either way I am very sad for Pete Carrol. Move along now sorry for making this

Last edited:

Raifers

Reaction score
This is so redundant. Who really cares if it’s football people or not? Why do people buy into PC’s spin? Not going to find much on the boards from me in the past but I was on board with the PC hiring when it first happened. However, he needed to go. What’s wrong with the owners having high expectations? Hell if I didn’t have high expectations and only wanted a middle of the pack defense, he still would have failed miserably the last two seasons.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
The entire football world outside of Seattle is universally condemning this move. 49ers fans are celebrating which should tell you all you need to know.

This is a result of non football people with unrealistic expectations making a ill informed decision.

Just two seasons ago Pete engineered one of the greatest tradest in NFL history. He took all the risk getting rid of Russ and was proven right.

Then Seattle was universally predicted to be one of the worst teams in the league. Pete responded by leading the team to the playoffs with a winning record and turning Geno into the comeback player of the year.

Another winning season this year after a good draft. Yeah they missed the playoffs bur this team should not have been this good so soon after trading their franchise qb. Pete did so well the year before that he expectations became too high.

Running the greatest coach in franchise history out of town after another winning season is a disgrace. He at the very least deserved to finish his contract.

Mark my words this will come back to haunt this franchise.

Why not take and wait and see approach, and see if this works out, before forming an opinion on it?

The fact is, Seattle just missed the playoffs with a roster that is loaded with talent. I love Pete, but something had to be done. This was the move ownership decided was best going forward. Let's see how it all shakes out.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Welshers, man, life has to go on….

We all know you’re upset about this but man, and it’ll never be the “right” time for you to let Carroll go, but, the franchise made the decision and if it was up to Carroll, he would be here until he’s 100…

It’s time for a new Seahawks era….

Life goes on, man….

BASF

Reaction score
What I believe is that he was given the chance in the meeting to say that he and his two coordinators would be able to fix the continuing problems. That Carroll wanted to stick with his guys seems obvious when he brought up in his press conference that this affects so many lives and families.

I pointed out early in 2023 that Hurtt's system had five good games in 2022 before it was figured out and he could never adjust. Same happened this season. Same thing happened with Waldron. All of the QB gurus around here ( funny that they weren't QB gurus critiquing Wilson during his time) blamed Geno. I was pointing out then that the routes being jumped was Waldron calling the same routes way too often. I guarantee Carroll wanted to "fix it" with them, and that is what cost him his job.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
After watching our defense the last 2 years, even I thought it was time.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I’d say the majority position is one of shock but thinking it was probably the right time.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The entire football world outside of Seattle is universally condemning this move. 49ers fans are celebrating which should tell you all you need to know.

This is a result of non football people with unrealistic expectations making a ill informed decision.

Just two seasons ago Pete engineered one of the greatest tradest in NFL history. He took all the risk getting rid of Russ and was proven right.

Then Seattle was universally predicted to be one of the worst teams in the league. Pete responded by leading the team to the playoffs with a winning record and turning Geno into the comeback player of the year.

Another winning season this year after a good draft. Yeah they missed the playoffs bur this team should not have been this good so soon after trading their franchise qb. Pete did so well the year before that he expectations became too high.

Running the greatest coach in franchise history out of town after another winning season is a disgrace. He at the very least deserved to finish his contract.

Mark my words this will come back to haunt this franchise.
The entire football world outside of Seattle? Nonsense! Show me one survey or opinion poll that supports this outlandish claim.

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
"The entire football world"?
I don't think so. Many are saying that it was time.
The entire football world outside of Seattle? Nonsense! Show me one survey or opinion poll that supports this outlandish claim.
I’d say the majority position is one of shock but thinking it was probably the right time.
Personally what I've been reading and listening to as far as pundits and fans non seahawk fans all seem to think this is the wrong move.

I went on 49ers boards and they were all happy PC is gone. They think it was a huge mistake and they're glad we fired him which speaks a lot.

To be fair fans outside of Seattle don't know the team as well but personally I'm definitely getting the vibes that the majority of people outside of Seattle think it was a bad move.

Do you really fire a guy who only one year ago engineered one of the best trades in NFL history and took a team supposed to be one of the worst in the league to the playoffs?

Not sure what else people expect

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Personally what I've been reading and listening to as far as pundits and fans non seahawk fans all seem to think this is the wrong move.

I went on 49ers boards and they were all happy PC is gone. They think it was a huge mistake and they're glad we fired him which speaks a lot.

To be fair fans outside of Seattle don't know the team as well but personally I'm definitely getting the vibes that the majority of people outside of Seattle think it was a bad move.

Do you really fire a guy who only one year ago engineered one of the best trades in NFL history and took a team supposed to be one of the worst in the league to the playoffs?

Not sure what else people expect

Provide links to support your claims, otherwise you're just making stuff up to support your own narrative.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Time to move on with your life Welshers. Pete Carrol will, you should too.

Jville

Reaction score
What I believe is that he was given the chance in the meeting to say that he and his two coordinators would be able to fix the continuing problems. That Carroll wanted to stick with his guys seems obvious when he brought up in his press conference that this affects so many lives and families.

That's what I understood from the final Pete Carroll Show.

Pete mentioned his interest in blending his offensive and defensive philosophies with those of others during a number of previous press conferences. It's unfortunate that attempts to blend scheme aspects from Vic Fangio and Sean McVay just didn't work out. Presumably, Pete wanted another year of perseverance. Where as others, at the meeting, sought an alternate approach.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Here's an article from "The Athletic", definitely outside of Seattle. I've edited out a couple paragraphs that don't pertain to the subject we're discussing and copied and pasted it because there's a pay wall:

Carroll is no longer responsible for the Seahawks’ defense because that unit has spent the last six seasons finding new ways to be inept, becoming nearly unrecognizable when compared to the Legion of Boom era. In some years, it lacked a pass rush. In other years, it couldn’t limit explosive plays. For the last two seasons, the run defense was nonexistent. The coordinators changed. The players changed. The scheme changed. The results did not.

But Carroll didn’t lose the role he assumed for 14 years because his philosophy was outdated. Closing the circle of toughness, doing right longer than the opponent, competing every day and empowering players and coaches to be the best versions of themselves are all principles that most football coaches believe in.

Carroll is no longer running the franchise with which he won a championship because those things he preached from Monday through Saturday stopped translating to Sundays.

The Seahawks had spent years avoiding being blown out, particularly at home, but in recent seasons, the lopsided losses started to pile up. The Russell Wilson saga was an example of a star player and team captain not being totally bought into the offensive vision. And Wilson wasn’t alone in that thought.

During the past two seasons, Seattle’s defensive players didn’t appear to be believers in the messaging being delivered by their coaches. Seattle’s tackling techniques were once used as teach tape for the rest of the league, and yet they spent the most important stretch of this season struggling to get guys on the ground.

Beyond the schematics, Carroll took blame for his team being unprepared. He admitted to the Seahawks feeling an emotional hangover from the victory over Wilson’s Broncos in the 2022 season opener, which bled into the next week when they were blown out by the 49ers. After a Thanksgiving loss against the 49ers this season, when the team was again uncompetitive versus a division rival, he admitted to not having his team prepared on a short week.

Moments after the Seahawks learned Sunday that their season was over despite beating the Cardinals, half of his locker room was distraught, while the other half smoked celebratory cigars. The disconnect spoke to a locker room that wasn’t collectively on the same page.

“It was time,” a former player said of Carroll’s transition out of his head coach role.

That was a common sentiment expressed by a handful of players and coaches after the team’s announcement Wednesday afternoon. The Seahawks want to routinely contend for championships. Because they weren’t doing that and weren’t trending in the right direction, some people weren’t at all surprised by the move. This was always an option, either this offseason or next.

“We lost our edge, really,” Carroll said. “The edge to be great, which was really how we ran the football and how we played defense. It wasn’t as good as it needed to be.”

Obviously, that's just one article, but it shows that there isn't any "entire football world outside of Seattle" consensus that this was the wrong move.

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
Provide links to support your claims, otherwise you're just making stuff up to support your own narrative.
Listen man I was just anecdotally saying what I've been reading online. Honestly I'm not in the mood to argue with you though I do take offense to you saying I'm a liar.

I'll take the L on this one I'm wrong and you're right but here's a link to what I'd been reading because my comment was in good faith.

Last edited:

WmHBonney

Reaction score
C'mon man. Now we care what 49ers fans are saying? Most of them don't know shit about football. They're 49ers fans because it's the "in" thing right now.

Jac

Reaction score
The entire football world is not condemning this move. I haven't seen that on any football news show, any sports site, or tweet. And we're to condemn non-football people making the decision but respect the opinion of a handful of non-football 49er fans on a message board? How does that work?