Saga over for now - Seahawks refuse to trade RW to CHI

Hawkpower

Reaction score
12th Dimension":1r6ps3rm said:
knownone":1r6ps3rm said:
Not sure if the saga is over. The Bears just didn't have the assets to come anywhere close to making a deal. If Mark Rodgers came out and said Russell would be willing to play for the Jets or Miami... well, that's another story entirely because those teams actually have the assets required.

A true contract extension would nail it shut. It would be a win-win situation for both sides.

True, assuming both sides want a long term commitment.

I get the feeling the willingness to move on may be mutual.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
It would be funny if RW got traded to the Raiders who basically lost their entire offensive line. Won’t happen but would be funny

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see RW’s body language next season. I expect the Seahawks to move him out next off season.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3bqiyiwt said:
It would be funny if RW got traded to the Raiders who basically lost their entire offensive line. Won’t happen but would be funny
I do think, if Chicago was legit told Seattle didn't have any interest in trading Russ, that this is over but I didn't realistically think any of the teams Russ listed were ones the Seahawks would also entertain offers from except the Raiders, who are the only ones still theoretically 'in-play'.

I'm glad Russ is staying put (seemingly), but unless we have a situation in which Pete legit gives freedom to our new OC to put together a good offensive strategy (that stays true to Pete's overall philosophy but leaves it to Waldron to decide how to execute that philosophy) and Russ goes all-in on making the strategy work and not worry about whether or not it's focused on 'cooking'... is this for the best or are we just waiting for a bigger bed wetting next season before all the heads really start rolling?

I'm hoping it's the former, but a press conference or some other gesture would go a ways in making me feel more confident about that.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
DarkVictory23":2ot6ic3m said:
JayhawkMike":2ot6ic3m said:
I do think, if Chicago was legit told Seattle didn't have any interest in trading Russ, that this is over but I didn't realistically think any of the teams Russ listed were ones the Seahawks would also entertain offers from except the Raiders, who are the only ones still theoretically 'in-play'.

I'm glad Russ is staying put (seemingly), but unless we have a situation in which Pete legit gives freedom to our new OC to put together a good offensive strategy (that stays true to Pete's overall philosophy but leaves it to Waldron to decide how to execute that philosophy) and Russ goes all-in on making the strategy work and not worry about whether or not it's focused on 'cooking'... is this for the best or are we just waiting for a bigger bed wetting next season before all the heads really start rolling?

I'm hoping it's the former, but a press conference or some other gesture would go a ways in making me feel more confident about that.

no no no no no, throw away the pete philosophy PERIOD, its outdated and doesn't work. all pete needs to do is work with norton on the defense and leave waldron and wilson ALONE. thats it, thats literally it. chew his bubbalicious gum and KIM.

GaiusMarius

Reaction score
Tinamedina":tpvf1o0y said:
DarkVictory23":tpvf1o0y said:
JayhawkMike":tpvf1o0y said:

no no no no no, throw away the pete philosophy PERIOD, its outdated and doesn't work. all pete needs to do is work with norton on the defense and leave waldron and wilson ALONE. thats it, thats literally it. chew his bubbalicious gum and KIM.

I agree with you! But unfortunately I doubt that Carroll does. So we have the status quo. Maybe Carroll lets Russ cook some next season, although I'm not so sure. Carroll wants control and I'd bank more on the status quo than big changes.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
GaiusMarius":2f24h99h said:
Tinamedina":2f24h99h said:
DarkVictory23":2f24h99h said:
JayhawkMike":2f24h99h said:

I agree with you! But unfortunately I doubt that Carroll does. So we have the status quo. Maybe Carroll lets Russ cook some next season, although I'm not so sure. Carroll wants control and I'd bank more on the status quo than big changes.

why though? we saw how much better the team was when they let russ cook, all they had to do was do minor adjustments instead pete panicked and went all the way back and they still lost. if they dont continue to let wilson have control of the offense then we know wilson is not staying in seattle. they may as well start rebuilding now and rip the band aid off.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Tinamedina":3f4az43e said:
GaiusMarius":3f4az43e said:
Tinamedina":3f4az43e said:
DarkVictory23":3f4az43e said:

why though? we saw how much better the team was when they let russ cook, all they had to do was do minor adjustments instead pete panicked and went all the way back and they still lost. if they dont continue to let wilson have control of the offense then we know wilson is not staying in seattle. they may as well start rebuilding now and rip the band aid off.

"All the way back."

Please, provide solid data that shows Seattle reverting back to the run-heavy Peteball everybody is wringing their hands about in 2020.

I'll wait, because it didn't happen.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1oblnqpu said:
Tinamedina":1oblnqpu said:
GaiusMarius":1oblnqpu said:
Tinamedina":1oblnqpu said:

"All the way back."

Please, provide solid data that shows Seattle reverting back to the run-heavy Peteball everybody is wringing their hands about in 2020.

The problem is Pete ball us not just about running. ALSO PC admitted to doing it. So there's proof.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":2qci3cjz said:
Maelstrom787":2qci3cjz said:
Tinamedina":2qci3cjz said:
GaiusMarius":2qci3cjz said:

"All the way back."

The problem is Pete ball us not just about running. ALSO PC admitted to doing it. So there's proof.

We'd have to hammer down a consistent definition of Peteball, then, because currently it's a catch-all term for every time someone disagrees with a Carroll decision.

What Peteball originally meant on the offensive side of things was a run-heavy ball control attack, and that isn't what the 'Hawks ran in 2020 in either half of the season.

And, no, Carroll at no point admitted to taking the offense "all the way back" to a run heavy, ball control style attack. Even if he would have admitted to that, one only needs to look at the playcalling to see that it's BS.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":t244si4k said:
John63":t244si4k said:
Maelstrom787":t244si4k said:
Tinamedina":t244si4k said:

"All the way back."

We'd have to hammer down a consistent definition of Peteball, then, because currently it's a catch-all term for every time someone disagrees with a Carroll decision.

What Peteball originally meant on the offensive side of things was a run-heavy ball control attack, and that isn't what the 'Hawks ran in 2020 in either half of the season.

And, no, Carroll at no point admitted to taking the offense "all the way back" to a run heavy, ball control style attack. Even if he would have admitted to that, one only needs to look at the playcalling to see that it's BS.

Ahh yeah admitted to pulling the offense back to more of what they do..oe run. Games 1-8 we avg almost 37 passes a game. Games 9-16 3. Games 18 we ran on avg 24 times.a game. Games 2-9 28 times a game. So yes we changes then add in thebays them selves. Gone were the quick slants, the rub routes, gone was the tempo changing etc etc. Anyone with eyes can see the change all the experts noted it.

themunn

Reaction score
John63":l5kljjgt said:
Maelstrom787":l5kljjgt said:
John63":l5kljjgt said:
Maelstrom787":l5kljjgt said:
"All the way back."

Ahh yeah admitted to pulling the offense back to more of what they do..oe run. Games 1-8 we avg almost 37 passes a game. Games 9-16 3. Games 18 we ran on avg 24 times.a game. Games 2-9 28 times a game. So yes we changes then add in thebays them selves. Gone were the quick slants, the rub routes, gone was the tempo changing etc etc. Anyone with eyes can see the change all the experts noted it.

Wasn't until game 10 that we pulled back to <30 attempts a game (Cardinals - still threw the ball 37 times against the Rams in week 10).
Notably, we went 6-3 in games 1-9 and 6-1 in games 10-16

More notably - of those last 7 games the only one we lost is the one Wilson attempted more than 33 passes

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":211lyo1k said:
Maelstrom787":211lyo1k said:
John63":211lyo1k said:
Maelstrom787":211lyo1k said:
"All the way back."

Remained top-10 in neutral situation pass rate in second-half of the year. Slice it anyway you want, that ain't Peteball. Period.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1372193691041996803[/tweet]

This is the compensation Seattle declined from Chicago, per Dan Patrick.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1372145331987746818[/tweet]

Per Rapoport - A meeting took place between Schneider and Bears GM Ryan Pace regarding a possible Wilson trade. They slept on the offer, and Pete specifically ruled against trading Wilson.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
IF that is the offer, clearly not good enough. Now, if the Bears were a top 10 draft pick team, you do it.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3lqxmkrx said:
IF that is the offer, clearly not good enough. Now, if the Bears were a top 10 draft pick team, you do it.

Yep. I don't care if the players are Kahlil Mack and Allen Robinson - 3 late firsts absolutely do not move the needle for me. They do nothing to replace Russell, and would all have to be traded away to get into position to even draft a quarterback with a decent shot of being average.