Saints request interview with Shane Waldron

BASF

Reaction score
But why though?
As much as I have posted against his repetitve play calling, he does have some well designed plays. His main problem is he needs more variations. For example, out of the same formation the best OC's will have six or seven different routes for each receiver. Waldron either does not have it that way or he doesn't have the receivers on the same page with the QB as to which routes should be run by each receiver given the defensive players leverage.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Don't ask why, just be happy when he's gone :)
You guys are making me nervous. He was first guy the Bears interviewed.

My only real complaint with him is that his red zone play calling is too predictable and conservative.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I know I'm on an island but I thought he did fairly well and has the potential to be a very good OC. He had to overcome the line, early season Geno wasn't very good, The running game was a struggle etc and yet we finished top 12 in offensive EPA(I think?) Get the line healthy/better, Geno plays like he did late in the year and I think he's fine.

keasley45

Reaction score
Those who blame Waldron need to ask the question, how much of the offense's failings were because of Pete's direction/philosophy being forced upon Shane?

If that's the case, that same philosophy was forced on Schotty and he was situationally and strategically superior in his performance as OC. He didnt do all the bubble motion stuff, but i'd argue that if we had all around better playcalling with less gadgetry (the only players we confused were our own) we'd have won a game or two more this year.

hoxrox

Reaction score
His play calling improved after Pete called him out publicly and got into his ear the week before the Cowboys game. It was a more balanced attack after that, which opened up play action and Geno's ability to get into a rhythm.

The main issue with Waldron was his situational lack of awareness. You have back up o-line playing against top rated pass rushers, and you call long developing pass plays, with no outlet receivers... on multiple occasions, when you only need a few yards to pick up the first down. The offense was also very predictable. KJ said on his podcast, he knew what plays were coming based on the formation, down and distance.

We also win that Bengals game if his redzone play calling and redzone play designs were more creative.

His on-script, 2 and 4-min offense was very good though. A lot of comeback drives this season in crunch time.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It’s my understanding that once Pete was fired, his staff was given permission to seek employment elsewhere. Why would any team need permission to interview him?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
His play calling improved after Pete called him out publicly and got into his ear the week before the Cowboys game. It was a more balanced attack after that, which opened up play action and Geno's ability to get into a rhythm.

The main issue with Waldron was his situational lack of awareness. You have back up o-line playing against top rated pass rushers, and you call long developing pass plays, with no outlet receivers... on multiple occasions, when you only need a few yards to pick up the first down. The offense was also very predictable. KJ said on his podcast, he knew what plays were coming based on the formation, down and distance.

We also win that Bengals game if his redzone play calling and redzone play designs were more creative.

His on-script, 2 and 4-min offense was very good though. A lot of comeback drives this season in crunch time.
if you notice, there kept being shots cutting to Pete going up there and being directly in his ear after the Boys game. Even still, his situational awareness and playcalls, particularly in the red zone left a ton to be desired.

Waldron was probably one of the worst OC's that we have had here.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Do you guys have any thoughts about how Waldron might work with and help develop Caleb Williams? I’m sure that’s something Poles is thinking about.