Saints request interview with Shane Waldron

JustTheTip

Reaction score
As much as I have posted against his repetitve play calling, he does have some well designed plays. His main problem is he needs more variations. For example, out of the same formation the best OC's will have six or seven different routes for each receiver. Waldron either does not have it that way or he doesn't have the receivers on the same page with the QB as to which routes should be run by each receiver given the defensive players leverage.
Other problems can be attributed to Pete Carroll patterns. Not getting plays into the QB in a timely manner and having the play clock run down to 1 or 2 seconds on most snaps to artificially inflate TOP. Multiple times this year, I noted the offense getting some rhythm by going at a faster pace, only to be ground to a halt by going back to running the play clock out. Also, running the play clock like that consistently provides more benefit to the opposing defense than your offense. Primarily it gives them rest on every play and also lets them get off the ball more efficiently (they don't have to guess when it will be snapped.)

I remember watching Waldron's first game and thinking "finally", only to be back to the same bullshit week 2 of that season and on.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The fact NFL teams are interested in him is proof this fan base is a little off imo. I think he got blamed for sutt he probably shouldn’t have, not saying he’s great but he isn’t terrible and when teams have scouted him they obviously see it that way as well so far

renofox

Reaction score
The fact NFL teams are interested in him is proof this fan base is a little off imo. I think he got blamed for sutt he probably shouldn’t have, not saying he’s great but he isn’t terrible and when teams have scouted him they obviously see it that way as well so far
I'll bet Waldron is much more successful at his next gig. He now knows to ask his prospective HC if he's gonna try to put his finger in the pie and place a shitload of restrictions on his plans.

I think 'free' Waldron is better than what we saw from him.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
if you notice, there kept being shots cutting to Pete going up there and being directly in his ear after the Boys game. Even still, his situational awareness and playcalls, particularly in the red zone left a ton to be desired.

Waldron was probably one of the worst OC's that we have had here.

We've had 4 OC's. They all had positives and negatives. They all seemed forced to buy into Pete's offensive philosophy and work within those constraints.

Waldron and Bates were hamstrung by not having Peak Russ at QB which makes them look a bit worse than Bevell and Schotty. Bevell gets a bad rap for throwing at the 1. Schotty gets a bad rap for the terrible playoff performances against Dallas and the Rams. But for the most part every OC was reasonable but not a star and I think that's a bit on Pete.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Other problems can be attributed to Pete Carroll patterns. Not getting plays into the QB in a timely manner and having the play clock run down to 1 or 2 seconds on most snaps to artificially inflate TOP. Multiple times this year, I noted the offense getting some rhythm by going at a faster pace, only to be ground to a halt by going back to running the play clock out. Also, running the play clock like that consistently provides more benefit to the opposing defense than your offense. Primarily it gives them rest on every play and also lets them get off the ball more efficiently (they don't have to guess when it will be snapped.)

I remember watching Waldron's first game and thinking "finally", only to be back to the same bullshit week 2 of that season and on.
He would fit in with Eberflus. Bears have a very run-oriented offense. That may change with Williams coming in, but Flus is going to want to run the ball. It’s in his DNA.

BASF

Reaction score
I am not going to apologize for this, but some of you play Ahab to Carroll being Moby Dick. For years posters here were banging the drum that Pete only wants to run run pass. Now we barely run the ball and Carroll is limiting Waldron even though he said repeatedly in press conferences and his radio show that we need to run more. Thar she blows!

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I am not going to apologize for this, but some of you play Ahab to Carroll being Moby Dick. For years posters here were banging the drum that Pete only wants to run run pass. Now we barely run the ball and Carroll is limiting Waldron even though he said repeatedly in press conferences and his radio show that we need to run more. Thar she blows!
Like I said, if he comes to Chicago he’s running an offense that was #1 in rushing yards in 2022 and #2 in 2023. His main challenge would be to help develop Caleb Williams.

Scout

Reaction score
Waldron would be an upgrade over P. Carmichael for the Saints. But the issue with the Saints is that their cap situation is a mess. And while they can smooth it over again this off season with duct tape it will limit what they can do to upgrade the OL and help add depth to the defense.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
My Captain Obvious Take:

Every game we lost this year was to playoff teams except Cincinatti.

However, when we lost to Cincinatti, Burrow was still playing.

Looking back on the season, I would say the Bengals loss and the Steelers loss hurt the most.

We should have won those two games and finished the season 11-6.

Losing to the Rams and 49ers twice, I kind of expected.

Plus, losing to the Ravens was something a lot of teams experienced this season.

The Cowboys game was close.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
My Captain Obvious Take:

Every game we lost this year was to playoff teams except Cincinatti.

However, when we lost to Cincinatti, Burrow was still playing.

Looking back on the season, I would say the Bengals loss and the Steelers loss hurt the most.

We should have won those two games and finished the season 11-6.

Losing to the Rams and 49ers twice, I kind of expected.

Plus, losing to the Ravens was something a lot of teams experienced this season.

The Cowboys game was close.

View attachment 63638
But you can only win in the 4th quarter.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I know i'm in the minority, but I have no issues with Waldron. I believe Pete had him handcuffed (like the other coordinators), but that's just my thought. Once again, I know a lot of people don't believe that and that's fine.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I know i'm in the minority, but I have no issues with Waldron. I believe Pete had him handcuffed (like the other coordinators), but that's just my thought. Once again, I know a lot of people don't believe that and that's fine.
I don't necessarily think that was the primary issue, but I do think it is as likely as not. There is as much evidence that he can be successful as there is that he is just shitty.

sutz

Reaction score
Offense was far from our biggest problem in '23. Blaming Waldron is kind of lame. With a new HC coming in, though, staff changes are pretty much guaranteed. Waldron already has permission to interview with other teams if reporting is correct. Personally, I wouldn't mind hanging on to him but I won't be surprised if he leaves.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I'll bet Waldron is much more successful at his next gig. He now knows to ask his prospective HC if he's gonna try to put his finger in the pie and place a shitload of restrictions on his plans.

I think 'free' Waldron is better than what we saw from him.
I don't think he was handcuffed though. People tried to say the same thing about Russ. If only he had an offensive minded coach, he can finally cook!

Russ gets an offensive minded coach, and he ends up getting benched.

Pete's You be You approach applied not only to players, but his coaches as well. Pete would intervene when things weren't going well. Sometimes too late, and too little.. His loyalty to coordinators and their personal and professional development was his downfall - not "you better do it my way or else"

I mean, he let Hurtt bring in that Fangio crap, when he should have just stuck to what he knew best.