Sando: Re-signing Kearse, Lane Not Priorities

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1gg8nhje said:
Kearse will probably dip his toe in the FA water with an idea of what the Seahawks would offer and if someone beats that offer substantially - I expect him to jet.

More likely, he will sit down with his agent and the agent will inform him of "possible offers" for his services. Jerome will have the final decision.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Would be great to retain Lane. Pete said in the season wrap up presser that they're excited about some of the young guys (I don't think he was talking merely about one particular group) The guys mentioned in this thread SJB, Tye Smith, Farmer, Seisay, (a healthy Simon?)... this position group could be surprisingly strong.

Kearse should realize how great he has it with this team. I think if he bolts, could have a tough time being productive elsewhere. If he's just after the money at this point and gets paid, maybe he's happy. But, I gotta believe he wants to remain with the team. We shall see how it plays out. Not concerned about the WR group. I think it will be even stronger next season. Antwan Goodley was stashed on the practice squad late in the season. He could fit in very well in Seattle.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Aros":1tld2yxr said:
I would rather keep Lane over Kearse, and I like Kearse, but we are better off at the WR position then we are at CB as we all saw the Cary Williams Effect in full display <<<shudder>>>...Lane is good and could potentially be very good.

But as stated, this offseason's #1 priority is OL, period. NOTHING is more vital than that to me. Yes there are other areas to build up and deal with no doubt, but OL is at the top and it's not even close.
Agree with everything you said.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Aros":orl1rrjf said:
I would rather keep Lane over Kearse, and I like Kearse, but we are better off at the WR position then we are at CB as we all saw the Cary Williams Effect in full display <<<shudder>>>...Lane is good and could potentially be very good.

But as stated, this offseason's #1 priority is OL, period. NOTHING is more vital than that to me. Yes there are other areas to build up and deal with no doubt, but OL is at the top and it's not even close.

Agreed.

In a way, it was good that the awful OL play in the first half of the season started to drive the point home. The team committed serious money to RW, and he was barely treading water, progress wise, although he was turning into a decent tackling dummy. If that failed to catch their attention, seeing Russ catch fire when protection improved from awful to below average did the trick!

Today. Tom Brady experienced some of the same pressure Russ does, and was doing most of the things that cause many people on this board to want to replace Russ with anyone from Luck all the way down to Derrick Carr.

kearly

Reaction score
This is opinion by Sando, not actual reporting.

I'm not sure how one would define "priority" anyway. If any of these guys were priorities they would have been signed to extensions last offseason. Or during the regular season, in the case of Rubin.

Davidess

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3tlg4nn6 said:
I'd be worried about losing Lane. I like Kearse too but we have other priorities and we have to get Paul Richardson on the field if we are going to keep him.

I think Paul Richardson has to get himself on the field. Hes too injury prone and since the hawks are lacking in some true depth at WR I can see Kearse back. not really because of desperation by the hawks but I don't think he will have a huge market. Hes a 3rd WR and is too inconsistent. makes the big play but cant make the easy one.

Davidess

Reaction score
Honestly I don't think RW will ever be a QB that will excel with a BIG wr. His WRs have to get separation for him to throw it and that comes with shiftiness and route running. If the draft is something youre interested in, id look for a good route runner but not necessarily a big body.

Aaron Burbridge from MSU. 6-1 210 lbs. His route running is pretty good for a guy his size and he excels as a run blocker. He could be had probably 3-4th round (we currently have 3 picks I believe in that range 3,3,4)
Someone to keep your eye on during the draft process.

Rob12

Reaction score
Lane is probably going to get anywhere from $5-7M on the open market. Anyone disagree? Byron Maxwell got 10 and Cary Williams got 7. When I brought that up before, someone laughed at me and said Lane wouldn't get more than $2-3M. That's not happening. Some team will outbid the Seahawks for his services.

I've resigned myself to the impending likelihood that Kearse is gone. And I'm pretty sure that I'm OK with that. I always felt paying him $2.5M was a stretch. And I've been a Kearse fan. I just think he's an average No. 3/very good No. 4.

I think Pete loves the guys on the PS and believes he can coach them up. Who am I to disagree?

Davidess

Reaction score
Rob12":cbe273j9 said:
Lane is probably going to get anywhere from $5-7M on the open market. Anyone disagree? Byron Maxwell got 10 and Cary Williams got 7. When I brought that up before, someone laughed at me and said Lane wouldn't get more than $2-3M. That's not happening. Some team will outbid the Seahawks for his services.

I've resigned myself to the impending likelihood that Kearse is gone. And I'm pretty sure that I'm OK with that. I always felt paying him $2.5M was a stretch. And I've been a Kearse fan. I just think he's an average No. 3/very good No. 4.

I think Pete loves the guys on the PS and believes he can coach them up. Who am I to disagree?

I think I might've been the one who "laughed" but I do apologize if it came out that way.

I think one of the reasons why those two CBs got paid for one is they were healthy. I find myself thinking of Thurmond when it comes to Lane. both injured often but very talented. Thurmond himself tested the waters, got a starting spot and only made ~3mil. I mean it depends on the market but I think if anything 5 mil/yr would be the high side with other CBs going onto the market that tend to stay healthy I think he could be a cheap fallback for teams (J. Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Casey Hayward, Brandon Boykin Etc.)

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Davidess":d7y1oj3t said:
Honestly I don't think RW will ever be a QB that will excel with a BIG wr. His WRs have to get separation for him to throw it and that comes with shiftiness and route running. If the draft is something youre interested in, id look for a good route runner but not necessarily a big body.

Aaron Burbridge from MSU. 6-1 210 lbs. His route running is pretty good for a guy his size and he excels as a run blocker. He could be had probably 3-4th round (we currently have 3 picks I believe in that range 3,3,4)

I dunno, Sidney Rice wasn't exactly small. Kearse, on many occasions, was used as a larger WR would be used, with decent success. RW immediately took advantage of the size mismatch created by Chis Matthews in XLIX.

I wouldn't mind having a large guy in the mix, provided he meets the 'toughness/grit' criteria, can learn the routes well and win the physical matchups (some speed would help as well). I think they are just harder to find because everyone wants them.

Davidess

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3qjnplg0 said:
Davidess":3qjnplg0 said:

I dunno, Sidney Rice wasn't exactly small. Kearse, on many occasions, was used as a larger WR would be used, with decent success. RW immediately took advantage of the size mismatch created by Chis Matthews in XLIX.

I wouldn't mind having a large guy in the mix, provided he meets the 'toughness/grit' criteria, can learn the routes well and win the physical matchups (some speed would help as well). I think they are just harder to find because everyone wants them.

Yeah and that matchup with Matthews was doing so well just a shame he didn't produce this year and got waived.

I definitely understand the thought that they've had bigger WRs in the past but I wonder if they've decided to go a different route with them now. looking for more polished route runners now. they selected Tyler Lockett when Jalen Strong,Ty Montgomery, and Chris Conley were still on the board. none of which were real good route runners but did have the size.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pharoh Cooper or Sterling Shephard are there with our 2nd or 3rd pick they get nabbed up. Undersized but playmakers.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Davidess":3gf2y5vh said:
HawKnPeppa":3gf2y5vh said:
Davidess":3gf2y5vh said:

Yeah and that matchup with Matthews was doing so well just a shame he didn't produce this year and got waived.

I definitely understand the thought that they've had bigger WRs in the past but I wonder if they've decided to go a different route with them now. looking for more polished route runners now. they selected Tyler Lockett when Jalen Strong,Ty Montgomery, and Chris Conley were still on the board. none of which were real good route runners but did have the size.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pharoh Cooper or Sterling Shephard are there with our 2nd or 3rd pick they get nabbed up. Undersized but playmakers.

Yeah, even after talking about the advantages of size, I'd still take a Lockett clone before any other type. Especially if we continue to employ an offense that depends more heavily on tempo and timing.

Changing the subject slightly, but still dealing with 'hands,' I'd love it if The Hawks stumbled across a Gronk-calber TE. The Patriots seem to have an uncanny ability to indentify all-world players at that position (albeit one was homicidal). One only needs you to throw in his direction and there's a very high probability of completion, regardless of coverage. Damn, Brady is spoiled with that!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":3tv21acd said:
joeseahawks":3tv21acd said:
The Nebraska CB, who was drafted by the Saints. Don't remember his name.

Seisay?

No, I believe his name is Stanley Jean Baptiste from Nebraska. Remember watching him and thinking just how good this guy is going to be, but.. crap happens.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":34anjxj0 said:
This is opinion by Sando, not actual reporting.

I'm not sure how one would define "priority" anyway. If any of these guys were priorities they would have been signed to extensions last offseason. Or during the regular season, in the case of Rubin.

Wait, Rubin isn't a Free Agent ? I must've missed his extension.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I like this quote by Sando"

"I love the position they're in this offseason," Sando said. "You're not staying up at night as a general manager and huddling with your owner trying to figure out what to do. I mean you can let the market come to you."

He mentions Kearse, Irvin, Lane and Okung. Of those, I think we hard to keep Lane and Irvin. No we won't break the bank for either of them, but Irvin is a really good player and we don't have anyone that can replace him on our team currently. He's great at rushing the passer, has become a very under rated run defender, and can turn around and cover 30 yards down field if needed. That's a versatility that can help you confuse an offense.

I think we need to work to keep Lane as well. Yup, we have that kid SJB from Nebraska, but he's unproven. I haven't seen anything from him at all. Anyone saying we should let Lane walk is a kind of superficial comment. What I mean is, none of us know what players like Tye Smith, SJB, Farmar and Seisay have really shown the coaching staff in practice. We don't know what the ceiling is for these guys, or what realistic chance they have of producing this year. If I'm the coaching staff, I have to be pretty sure at least one of these guys steps up before I'm willing to let Lane walk. We just played this game with the OL and it ended up costing us half a season.

It's no coincidence that once Lane got back and healthy, our defense turned around in the secondary.

Farmar is a kid that I can't see producing this year. He was a WR last year and wasn't even on a team anywhere. He's a project with physical measurables, and I can't see production out of him next year.

Seisay. I'm not sure what he's bringing to the table yet. We haven't seen enough.

Simon. You honestly can't count on him to stay healthy. He's a bonus if he produces. If the Hawks are in the business of retaining a guy and hoping he stays healthy and produces, I'd use the money to keep Okung, which I don't think they will. If he gets hurt in TC, I doubt he's on the team. And I doubt he makes it through TC without being hurt.

Smith has shown flashes and might be the one guy that an step up this year.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste. I know almost nothing about this guy. It bothers me a little that the Saints drafted him in the 2nd round and he's already been cut.

Erebus

Reaction score
Davidess":sslssiam said:
HawKnPeppa":sslssiam said:
Davidess":sslssiam said:

I agree that they appear to have gone a different route. I remember shortly after Pete and John were hired they said one of their priorities was getting bigger at WR and CB. They quickly achieved both of those goals. Obviously our CBs are still tall, and Browner and Sherman were the tallest CB duo in history. They signed Big Mike Williams and Sidney Rice, which gave us excellent height at the WR position. Since then they've had a few attempts at integrating taller WRs into the system with limited success, such as Stephen Williams, Chris Matthews, Kris Durham, and Kevin Norwood. None of these guys were taken with high draft picks, so they haven't really made it a real priority, but instead just hoping to get lucky. They now appear to prioritize playmakers and speed over height.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Carolina has Josh Norman and Scrubs in the secondary and they're in the SB. We've been spoiled with the LOB and need to realize that one can achieve the same level of dominance if the center of the Dline is addressed. Go out and get an interior rusher from D-Line'r'us and we won't need the DBs to cover the WR & TE for 10 seconds. Put Deion Sanders, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman and Rodney Harrison in the backfield, if we cannot create pressure up front, a Bruce Gradkowski will shred us up.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great find. Here's another link from last week with Sando and Brock Huard on 710

Seahawks roundtable with Brock Huard and ESPN.com's Mike Sando

ORIGINALLY AIRED: THURSDAY, JANUARY 21, 2016

ESPN.com NFL writer Mike Sando and 710 ESPN Seattle's own Brock Huard join "Bob, Groz and Tom" to look back at the 2015 Seahawks season and ahead to next season.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... 0and%20Tom