Sando: Re-signing Kearse, Lane Not Priorities

Largent80

Reaction score
Lane is a very obvious signing to me. Simon needs to be forgotten, the rest are unproven. Kearse blocks like an old lady. But at times, balls out of his gourd.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawks46":250y7ybz said:
kearly":250y7ybz said:
This is opinion by Sando, not actual reporting.

I'm not sure how one would define "priority" anyway. If any of these guys were priorities they would have been signed to extensions last offseason. Or during the regular season, in the case of Rubin.

Wait, Rubin isn't a Free Agent ? I must've missed his extension.

He is a free agent. I think the point was that if he were a priority he would have been given an extension during the season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not sure why this is a knock on Kearse or Lane.

We have more pressing priorities to take care of first before even discussing either of them.

- Gonna pay Bennett more?
- Gonna re-work Doug's deal?
- Both Rubin and Mebane are free agents
- How bout Sweezy?
- What to do with Kam?
- Does Lynch need to be cut and we have to eat 5M in signing bonus? Retiring?

I think as we did with guys like Tate, Breno and Carp.................you let Lane and Kearse test the FA market and then see where it goes from there.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Kearse is an easy one. We have to trust in the younger guys on the team like Smith and Williams who basically have the same body size and skill set. If we don't trust them to step up, we need to draft a similar sized guy that can.

I still think we need to sign Lane but not break the bank. Sure, if someone over pays him, then yeah we need to let him walk, but we need to put in some effort to sign him. Smith, Seisay and SJB are unproven as of yet. Farmar is a project. That really only leaves us Shead if Lane walks. Unless we get an insane pass rush, that's not a position we want to be in, as evidenced by the Cary Williams experiment.

If it's me, I try to resign Rubin, Lane and Irvin in that order. Okung if it's a value contract (which it won't be, someone will over pay him). Kearse would be the last one I'd worry about, we have Richardson coming back and Smith and Williams waiting in the wings.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":6hcpidhm said:

We have more pressing priorities to take care of first before even discussing either of them.

- How bout Sweezy?
- What to do with Kam?

I think as we did with guys like Tate, Breno and Carp.................you let Lane and Kearse test the FA market and then see where it goes from there.

Over thinking it.
Frankie says relax

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":3evv0dlh said:
Sgt. Largent":3evv0dlh said:

- How bout Sweezy?
- What to do with Kam?

Over thinking it.
Frankie says relax

I don't know what you mean, but you go on with your bad self.

Saying we have more pressing priorities than Kearse and Lane is fact, not over thinking.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1u3nzgtq said:
Largent80":1u3nzgtq said:
Sgt. Largent":1u3nzgtq said:

- How bout Sweezy?
- What to do with Kam?

Over thinking it.
Frankie says relax

I don't know what you mean, but you go on with your bad self.

Saying we have more pressing priorities than Kearse and Lane is fact, not over thinking.

You listed 3 Hawks with contracts signed through the next year. Lynch is an easy cut. There's 4 players you listed that the Hawks don't have to deal with.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I like both players and wish them all the good fortune they deserve. Hopefully that is with us, but if they get big offers we can't match then thanks and Godspeed. My preference is Lane, as I think Kevin Smith, Richardson, and even Kasen Williams are exciting players who are ready to contribute at Kearse's level. I really don't have much confidence in our injured DB depth.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":2j5a2myh said:
You listed 3 Hawks with contracts signed through the next year. Lynch is an easy cut. There's 4 players you listed that the Hawks don't have to deal with.

So you'd like to go into training camp with guys like Bennett and Doug complaining and being distractions?

Of course we have to address them, or else we're into what happened last year. John even mentioned it Friday on KIRO talking to Wyman's crew.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Aros":1mwk8xc9 said:
"Because Russell Wilson showed this season that No. 1 he can produce at a high level without an established running back, and No. 2 even without Jimmy Graham, Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett look like real keepers, real good players, guys you can feature in the offense, I don't think you want to extend yourself for Jermaine Kearse. If he wants to be there and the price is right, great. But don't pay a premium at those two positions where I think they're just going to be fine."

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2899390/ESPN ... priorities
I like both guys, but I'm ok losing Kearse. Lane is the one I think we need to keep.