Schneider's curious decision

Seymour

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2094012t said:
Wouldn't have mattered if we had taken Ramczyk this year, or Tunsil/ Conklin/Decker last year. They would have been relegated to backup spots, or cut, by a coach who can neither recognize talent, nor coach talent up, nor scheme to maximize the talent on hand. A coach who think's Ifedi's play was dominant, and couldn't integrate Jahri Evans, last year. A coach who muffed on Lang, and overpaid for Joeckel, this year. A coach who has never built anything better than an average line, and who's line has gotten progressively worse every year.

He's been given every opportunity, from the draft to free agency, to obtain and develop players for his two areas of responsibility, and he has demonstrated an absolute failure to develop either area. The two biggest weaknesses of this team are his direct responsibility. With such severe weaknesses in these two areas, it has become possible to completely shut down and defeat the Seahawks with nothing more than Pop Warner level coaching. All you have to do is key in on the receivers, and rush 4. Outlast the Seahawks, until the inevitable mistake is made. Wear out the defense, in the first half, with TOP, then pick them apart in the second half.

Tom Cable is the weakest link, and is directly responsible for the high likelihood that we don't make the playoffs this year.

What a spot on post!! Thank you...voice of reason. That is the crux of the problem with only 1 solution at this point.

More people are starting to realize this and are believing their eyes instead of what Pete, Cable, Bevell, or even Schnieder says about the oline situation.

Because Pete continues to stay the course with Cable, he has signed his own death certificate.....just a matter of how and when at this point.

Cc5674

Reaction score
The last three drafts Schneider has gambled and lost by trading down or taking players that were not a position of need but rather a position of greed. Schneider got cute and went for so called draft steals instead of focusing on rebuilding the offensive line. Prosise is a great player when healthy but he sure didnt help that O-Line. Max Unger was the best center in the NFL but instead of signing him long term you dump him for Jimmy ( I aint ever going to be a winner) Graham. The Collins pick was a waste. The Seahawks O Line is tanking the team again and now the D is looking pretty pedestrian. How many big plays did the Titans have. Are all of the Seahawk dbs wearing concrete shoes? Two names that I have not heard called very often are Chancellor and Richardson. Both big money players that have done nothing. Hawks are one hail mary flip by Wilson ( against the Niners)from being 0-3. It begins with the terrible offensive line and that is on Schneider and Petey. They gambled and LOST.

massari

Reaction score
Would've rather had McDowell + SS Josh Jones with the first two picks and signed two or three vet free agents like TJ Lang, Riley Reiff, Whitworth, Beachum, Evans ect....

When it comes to the OL, I trust some "armchair GM's" on this forum more than JS/PC. :(

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The whole purpose of these forums is to be "armchair GMs," coaches etc.

If all we want to do is just trust that the GM and Coaches know best, then what is the point of even talking about issues?

For the record, I disagree that Carroll is at risk of losing his position, and I believe that Chancellor and Sheldon Richardson have been productive, and have earned their salaries so far this year.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":cfok6aq3 said:
HawkerD":cfok6aq3 said:
Sgt. Largent":cfok6aq3 said:
It's hard for me to criticize Schneider's draft philosophy, the dude's one of the best, if not THE best at managing picks to maximize talent accumulation.

But when it comes to using that philosophy to draft O-linemen? That's where I have no problem being critical. It's been terrible to downright horrific in the Carroll/Schneider era.

Most draft capital/picks used on the O-line in the league, and year after year continue to have the worst line? You need to change how you're drafting O-linemen, or budget more cap space to overpay for FA linemen.

I have to disagree. Look at WR. We have left better players on the board and instead picked (Durham (4th), Harper (4th), Norwood (4th) Richardson (2nd), Lockett (3rd), Lawler (7th), Moore (7th) Darboh (4th). Granted not a lot of Draft capital spent with the exception of Richardson but you have to think that is NOT a good track record. After 2011 & 2012, JS has been average at best at drafting talent Across the board.

Do I really need to go down the list of talent acquisition via the draft? Russell, Kam, Richard, Carson, Richardson, Lockett, Griffin, KJ, Wagner, Britt, Bennett, Rawls, etc etc. No 1st rounders. Schneider's been brilliant at mining talent, no one can argue that, they just can't.

Most teams have to do it like we saw yesterday with Tennessee.................stink for 10 years stockpiling 1st round talent until you finally get to the point of competing.

You are mixing your facts. Rawls was an UDFA and when all is said and done he might be a zero. Bennett was cut after he was drafted. Britt, Lockett, Richardson were all high picks, two of which are not worth the capital spent. RW, Kam, Sherman, Wagner all came in 2013 or prior and they were great picks. But since then virtually ZERO. Carson and Griffen are wait and see.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He doesn't always need to be brilliant. Sometimes he needs to take what is needed. His early draft success may have gone to his head to the point where he thinks he must out wow everyone and prove everyone wrong.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Joyodongo":17huwlc2 said:
:sarcasm_on: No, that was a brilliant move, we didn't need any OT because George Fant was going to be a STUD this year at LT (same as Gary Gilliam last year, remember?). :sarcasm_off:

That's pretty unfair to say, though. Fant was doing far better this preseason, and then he got injured. Can't really count on injuries as being part of our game plan for drafting. I mean, if Wilson would go down for the season early, would anyone really say we should have drafted the number one quarterback this draft because it became a position of need? Nope.

Otherwise though, our offensive line drafting has been crappy to say the least. I liked the moves down, but the second one does look far worse in hindsight. Of course, hindsight being 20/20 and all...

cymatica

Reaction score
bigskydoc":20ck7zgh said:
Wouldn't have mattered if we had taken Ramczyk this year, or Tunsil/ Conklin/Decker last year. They would have been relegated to backup spots, or cut, by a coach who can neither recognize talent, nor coach talent up, nor scheme to maximize the talent on hand. A coach who think's Ifedi's play was dominant, and couldn't integrate Jahri Evans, last year. A coach who muffed on Lang, and overpaid for Joeckel, this year. A coach who has never built anything better than an average line, and who's line has gotten progressively worse every year.

He's been given every opportunity, from the draft to free agency, to obtain and develop players for his two areas of responsibility, and he has demonstrated an absolute failure to develop either area. The two biggest weaknesses of this team are his direct responsibility. With such severe weaknesses in these two areas, it has become possible to completely shut down and defeat the Seahawks with nothing more than Pop Warner level coaching. All you have to do is key in on the receivers, and rush 4. Outlast the Seahawks, until the inevitable mistake is made. Wear out the defense, in the first half, with TOP, then pick them apart in the second half.

Tom Cable is the weakest link, and is directly responsible for the high likelihood that we don't make the playoffs this year.

Agree. Also let's not forget, we have the youngest oline in the league. These rookies might look good with vets playing next to them, how would they look on this line