Seahawks could pursue Aldon Smith (Florio's Speculation)

themunn

Reaction score
RiverDog":355hx825 said:
My point was that as a very broad category, I would consider him a poor teammate ala T.O.

Who considered T.O. a poor teammate? It's a rhetoric I heard from pundits that didn't play with him but goes against what I've read and heard from his actual teammates.

The only player I can really think of that took serious issue with T.O. was McNabb, and I will take Owens' side in that feud every time.

T.O. is probably about as un-Harvin a player you can get. Let's not forget he broke his leg in week 15 and still made it back to the Superbowl with pins in his legs and played near every offensive snap, and getting 9 receptions for 120+ yards. About as tough an SOB there is the league. The anti-Harvin

RiverDog

Reaction score
themunn":2oxw40dv said:
RiverDog":2oxw40dv said:
My point was that as a very broad category, I would consider him a poor teammate ala T.O.

Who considered T.O. a poor teammate? It's a rhetoric I heard from pundits that didn't play with him but goes against what I've read and heard from his actual teammates.

The only player I can really think of that took serious issue with T.O. was McNabb, and I will take Owens' side in that feud every time.

T.O. is probably about as un-Harvin a player you can get. Let's not forget he broke his leg in week 15 and still made it back to the Superbowl with pins in his legs and played near every offensive snap, and getting 9 receptions for 120+ yards. About as tough an SOB there is the league. The anti-Harvin

Jeff Garcia, for one. T.O. questioned his sexual orientation. He got in a fight with Hugh Douglass in the Philly locker room. And in Dallas, he accused Tony Romo and Jason Whitten of making up plays between themselves. About the only place I didn't hear T.O. causing problems in the locker room was his final stop in Buffalo.

massari

Reaction score
olyfan63":17y2eku8 said:
RiverDog":17y2eku8 said:
greenblue_eye's2":17y2eku8 said:
The Seahawks are too classy of an organization to pursue Aldon Smith. Aldon is a 25 year old dude who acts like an 8 year old, with behavior issues off the field, he has a drinking problem and he has been in & out of jail 5 times while with the Niners. Imvho, the Seahawks are now the "class" of the NFC West, don't get involved in the dysfunctional 49ers mess.

Yea, right. We drafted Frank Clark as our first overall pick then our GM told little white lies about how thorough our investigation of him was. We gave serious consideration to bringing in Greg Hardy. We traded for Percy Harvin even though there was substantial evidence that he was a cancer. We even gave the worst locker room cancer in two decades, T.O., a look-see.

Pete and John are no different than any other HC/GM. They'd make a pact with the Devil if they thought he could help them win a Lombardi.

MizzouHawkGal":17y2eku8 said:
c_hawkbob":17y2eku8 said:
It wouldn't shock me if Pete & John had a cup off coffee with him, see where his head's at.
I don't doubt that at all. Pete pretty much thinks he could salvage anyone but he and John better keep in mind what happened with Percy this could be as bad in a different way.

The Aldon Smith situation involves repeated, persistent, out-of-control, detrimental-to-the-team conduct. This is a factor in common with the Percy Harvin situation with Seattle.

Aldon Smith has an alcohol addiction and persistent related problems, and has shown NO ABILITY to control his self-destructive behavior. 3 DUI's? Are you kidding me? 3 DUI's? Smith just needs to have a sober DAY. (Repeated in Jim Mora Sr. "Playoffs?" tone and rythm)

A gamble on an untreated, unrecovered Aldon Smith is an all-around bad idea for the Seahawks.

I don't care what happens away from the football field, unless proven murder or abuse of anyone in anyway.

Yeah Smith could kill someone driving drunk, but let's be honest, majority of NFL players (and general population) have driven under the influence but just haven't been caught.

Watching some of his interviews, I get the impression like he's not a bad guy and has potential to get sober.

If he's a good player on the field and good in the locker room, then I want him on the Seahawks. Especially since he's going to probably sign a cheap prove it contract.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
We have a fostering organization, if they can help him through this and in return get say 15 sacks then why the hell not.

Rob12

Reaction score
I don't think people are lost causes at 25, no matter what their pasts look like. I actually think coming to Seattle would be a great move for Aldon - but not this season. I have faith in the coaches and what they could help this young man accomplish.

Cris Carter is another guy that conventional wisdom said was a lost cause. He managed to turn it around in the right environment. Could Seattle do the same for him? Maybe. All I know is football needs to take a backseat for him right now but in time, and if he takes his addiction seriously, Seattle might not be a bad landing spot for him.

He's the type of challenge that PCJS would love. I think they thrive on helping men become all they can in life, and Aldon needs some serious help and leadership in his life.

I hope whatever happens, he starts taking his life seriously.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Could Aldon Smith come back from this? Maybe. In a year, maybe.
Is it worth Pete and John's attention and energy to "pursue", him, and Pete's attention and energy to "rescue" him?
When compared to other things they could be spending their attention and energy on, now? I say NO. There's an opportunity cost. I'd rather have PC/JS spend their attention and energy finding and developing Frank Clark and the next Frank Clark, and the next one after that. As we all saw tonight, he is going to be a beast in this league.

Tonight we saw the "sober" Aldon Smith, aka Von Miller of the Broncos. IMO the alcoholic Aldon Smith needs to hit bottom and feel the pain before he can get better.

olyfan63

Reaction score
RiverDog":2dn6xbdw said:
themunn":2dn6xbdw said:
RiverDog":2dn6xbdw said:

-snip-
/quote]

Jeff Garcia, for one. T.O. questioned his sexual orientation. He got in a fight with Hugh Douglass in the Philly locker room. And in Dallas, he accused Tony Romo and Jason Whitten of making up plays between themselves. About the only place I didn't hear T.O. causing problems in the locker room was his final stop in Buffalo.

Thanks for the examples. T.O. showed all the signs of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. (NPD) People with that can be amazing talents while they piss off everyone around them. (Vince Young comes to mind) Then, when their talent fades, they simply piss everyone off, without the compensating talent edge, and they're gone.

And yes, Percy Harvin's history and behavior does check all the boxes for Borderline Personality Disorder. If you want details, check my posts in other Harvin threads. Unfortunately I have excessive personal experience in this area and tend to recognize plays from the BPD and NPD playbook sooner rather than later.

I suspect these days most NFL teams screen for these conditions, along with psychopathy. After Harvin, I guarantee the Seahawks do. None of them (NPD, BPD, or even psychopathy) are necessarily a showstopper, in pro sports, but it's way, way better for the coach if they know the situation going in.