Seahawks could pursue Aldon Smith (Florio's Speculation)

massari

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2w0wigmp said:
Why on earth Florio expects Seattle to pursue that clown when they're so deep along the DL already...

Yeah, why would they even want players like JJ Watt or Aldon Smith? They're way to deep already to be interested IMO.

SoulfishHawk":2w0wigmp said:
Yeah, I don't like Aldon, but he is one hell of a football player.

Honestly, just by watching his interviews, I like him more than Irvin and Bennett

RiverDog

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1glql2v3 said:
Why on earth Florio expects Seattle to pursue that clown when they're so deep along the DL already...

Smith is more than likely going to be suspended for all of 2015, so any discussion of us bringing him in would be for 2016. One year is a long time, and what is a deep strength one season could be a glaring weakness the next.

If Smith is able to comply with what is likely to be some very demanding set of conditions, then I would be open to bringing him in. At 25 he's still relatively young and has a lot of wear left on his tires. Unlike Percy Harvin, he has not been known to be a locker room problem or a coaches headache, so I'm good with bringing him in if the price is right.

But that's a long ways down the road, and requires the assumption that Smith will turn himself around, something I feel that the odds are against as he's had multiple 2nd chances and keeps screwing them up. There is no evidence that he can change his behavior.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
I would drink too if I was on the 49rs this year, and hit and run sounds terrible, but scratching a parked car and leaving the scene hardly makes Aldon a lost cause.

Aldon is top 2 edge rusher in the NFL, all teams are going to want to stash him on their roster on the cheap, but not all teams would be able to do so and keep their fans happy.

Are the seahawks one of the teams that could? absolutely. Would I be happy if they did? definitely.
Do I think they will? nope

RiverDog

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":2lfkpq64 said:
I would drink too if I was on the 49rs this year, and hit and run sounds terrible, but scratching a parked car and leaving the scene hardly makes Aldon a lost cause.

The problem isn't that this one incident is so bad, nor is the incident at LAX where he got pizzed off at the security guards when he was selected for a random search that bad. It's that this latest incident follows a pattern of behavior he's shown ever since he came into the league, that he has a serious behavioral problem that's not getting any better. Any team that takes him on is going to risk putting their eggs in his basket only to have him do something stupid and get his arse thrown in jail or suspended by the league.

He may not be a lost cause, but he's sure not shown anything to make us think that he's put his problems behind him.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
sutz":ldmq43er said:
Why pursue him? Don't the cops already have him in custody?

:twisted:

Apparently not HAWT pursuit no more...cold pursuit I suppose..... :twisted:

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
RiverDog":3ds7gj50 said:
greenblue_eye's2":3ds7gj50 said:
The Seahawks are too classy of an organization to pursue Aldon Smith. Aldon is a 25 year old dude who acts like an 8 year old, with behavior issues off the field, he has a drinking problem and he has been in & out of jail 5 times while with the Niners. Imvho, the Seahawks are now the "class" of the NFC West, don't get involved in the dysfunctional 49ers mess.

Yea, right. We drafted Frank Clark as our first overall pick then our GM told little white lies about how thorough our investigation of him was. We gave serious consideration to bringing in Greg Hardy. We traded for Percy Harvin even though there was substantial evidence that he was a cancer. We even gave the worst locker room cancer in two decades, T.O., a look-see.

Pete and John are no different than any other HC/GM. They'd make a pact with the Devil if they thought he could help them win a Lombardi.

The Niners have had 12 Players arrested within 3 years?! No other NFL team has had that many players with that many arrest. The fact of the matter is that Aldon Smith was a "known commodity," with red flags when he was drafted by GM Trent Baalke out of Mizzou. The dude is a major head case, needs some serious rehab (not a 5 week stent at home with his Mama), and needs to get his life in order...Then maybe a team can, & will take a chance on him again, because he is a great player imvho...

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":luumpi2p said:
If he actually seems to fix his problems and grows the hell up during his year-long forthcoming suspension, I'd be down; it'd be worth kicking his tires just to watch 49ers fans react, IMO.

I agree.

All of these intolerant, closed-minded, holier-than-thou, never-made-a-mistake-in-their lives jerks make me sick.

This was written about Carroll's willingness to help players (exemplified at the time by his willingness to give Marshawn Lynch a chance, in spite of the objections of many fans):
Carroll said it's all about giving players an opportunity.

“Over the years, I've always found myself wanting to find guys that need some consideration or special opportunities,” Carroll said Tuesday. “It's guys that other people maybe don't see something special in. We will take a chance on a guy here or there. I've always been hopeful in finding the best in them. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.”

Carroll also said they won't give up on a player that has a problem.

“We'll always look to give guys a second chance around here,” he said. “The fact that the league has adjusted the rules, allowing a guy who is suspended under these circumstances to be with us, we're going to take care of them a look after them until we get them back.

“Disappointment is the best way to say it. We try to coach them and guide them and mentor them in every way we can. When guys have an issue, we are going to take responsibility for helping them."

Aldon Smith has a drinking problem. He doesn't deserve to be banned from football forever with no chance of reinstatement because of that. He needs help in beating his problem and a chance to continue his career if he does.

That's just simple humanity.

Pete Carroll has three simple rules: 1. Always protect the team. 2. No whining, no complaining, no excuses. 3. Be early. Percy Harvin, apparently, could not follow those rules; but if Aldon Smith can conform to them -- after he is rehabilitated, no matter how long that takes -- then the Seahawks should give him a chance.

The Seahawks are the perfect team, with many leaders to help keep him in line, and Pete Carroll is the perfect motivator and players' coach to help him. Like the original poster said, there is very little cost, risk or disruption in kicking the tires. It's not like we are giving up a king's ransom in draft picks like we did for Harvin. It's not like we would be giving a ton of guaranteed money -- just the opposite, his contract would be packed with good-behavior clauses allowing the Seahawks to cut him upon any sign of trouble.

The upside in Smith's value is, of course, tremendous. He was already, at a young age, one of the greatest pass rushers in the league, possibly ever, probably better than any pass rusher the Seahawks have ever had. Can you imagine how good he could be when he stays sober?

But more important than his potential to the team: the Seahawks would be doing the right thing.

NINEster

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3127qcha said:
No way should we pursue All-done.

Why pay for trouble?

Think that we would have learned our lesson with Harvin.

Not that I'd want to see Aldon on Seattle but he's a thousand times better than Harvin.

JJ Watt couldn't have made that play to start the 2013 NFCC, nor could he catch Aaron Rodgers in the backfield.

Aldon was a very good team mate as far as relationships are concerned. His stupidity is akin to JPP...harmless except to himself and his team as a whole not any individuals.

Hell JPP did dunk his team mate into ice bath .

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Aldon is talented.
But he isn't going to be available to a single team until next year, most likely, making this whole discussion pretty much moot.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ox22avt said:
Aldon is talented.
But he isn't going to be available to a single team until next year, most likely, making this whole discussion pretty much moot.

Exactly....why do posters insist on pissing directly into the wind? :roll:

RiverDog

Reaction score
greenblue_eye's2":3b79g4wf said:
RiverDog":3b79g4wf said:
greenblue_eye's2":3b79g4wf said:
The Seahawks are too classy of an organization to pursue Aldon Smith. Aldon is a 25 year old dude who acts like an 8 year old, with behavior issues off the field, he has a drinking problem and he has been in & out of jail 5 times while with the Niners. Imvho, the Seahawks are now the "class" of the NFC West, don't get involved in the dysfunctional 49ers mess.

Yea, right. We drafted Frank Clark as our first overall pick then our GM told little white lies about how thorough our investigation of him was. We gave serious consideration to bringing in Greg Hardy. We traded for Percy Harvin even though there was substantial evidence that he was a cancer. We even gave the worst locker room cancer in two decades, T.O., a look-see.

Pete and John are no different than any other HC/GM. They'd make a pact with the Devil if they thought he could help them win a Lombardi.

The Niners have had 12 Players arrested within 3 years?! No other NFL team has had that many players with that many arrest. The fact of the matter is that Aldon Smith was a "known commodity," with red flags when he was drafted by GM Trent Baalke out of Mizzou. The dude is a major head case, needs some serious rehab (not a 5 week stent at home with his Mama), and needs to get his life in order...Then maybe a team can, & will take a chance on him again, because he is a great player imvho...

I'm not saying that we have more or less class than any other team. What I am saying is that we are no different than any other team and will jump in bed with almost any player that we feel can get us a Lombardi. Being a classy organization is incidental to the primary goal of winning championships.

But I agree with everything else you said...serious rehab, getting his life in order, etc. I would hope that the league would set some pretty stringent requirements for his re-instatement so that teams that were interested in employing him would have some confidence that he's turned over a new leaf.

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
RiverDog":18iieeql said:
greenblue_eye's2":18iieeql said:
RiverDog":18iieeql said:
greenblue_eye's2":18iieeql said:

I'm not saying that we have more or less class than any other team. What I am saying is that we are no different than any other team and will jump in bed with almost any player that we feel can get us a Lombardi. Being a classy organization is incidental to the primary goal of winning championships.

But I agree with everything else you said...serious rehab, getting his life in order, etc. I would hope that the league would set some pretty stringent requirements for his re-instatement so that teams that were interested in employing him would have some confidence that he's turned over a new leaf.

No prob...I ultimately believe that we both are on the same page! The Seahawks just remind me of the old Classy 49ers, during the glory days. I wholeheartedly believe that the Seahawks are a Dynasty in the making.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The Niners org is a dumpster fire and it is probably one of the 5 worst teams for him to be on in terms of overcoming his behavioral issues. If there is any potential for rehab, it would be likely found in a place like Seattle or Buffalo with an organization devoted to player personal improvement and well being.

Smith's issues are different from those of other players who have been in the spotlight lately (Rice, AP) in that his behavior is primarily self-destructive in nature. Granted, one can argue that DUI is not just self-destructive, but it is primarily a self-destructive behavior.

I hope that he serves some time and comes out with a real will to change. I have no doubt that some team will give him a chance sometime next year, and I would not mind it if the Hawks were that team.

Even if we don't actually plan to give him a roster spot, I hope we bring him in for a well-publicized look so I can see my Niner friend's heads explode.

-bsd

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3e5ecsed said:
Aldon is talented.

He's technically a free agent, so it's not moot. All it takes is for one team to sign him to a cheap 1-2 year deal and just ride out the suspension whenever it gets handed down.

Now it might be in Smith's best interest to wait to see what the suspension is before signing with someone, either this year or next.

If it's a 12 month suspension, then he'd be better to wait until next off season when his value is high once teams start thinking about 2016.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2e3dlexb said:
Scottemojo":2e3dlexb said:
Aldon is talented.

He's technically a free agent, so it's not moot. All it takes is for one team to sign him to a cheap 1-2 year deal and just ride out the suspension whenever it gets handed down.

Now it might be in Smith's best interest to wait to see what the suspension is before signing with someone, either this year or next.

If it's a 12 month suspension, then he'd be better to wait until next off season when his value is high once teams start thinking about 2016.

No one is going to sign him before his case with the law is settled, and perhaps someone can help me out here, but I would be really surprised if the league would allow him to negotiate a new contract while he is on suspension.

So for all intents and purposes, the discussion is moot until both the law and the league has passed judgment on him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RiverDog":2lt3hhfz said:
Sgt. Largent":2lt3hhfz said:
Scottemojo":2lt3hhfz said:
Aldon is talented.

No one is going to sign him before his case with the law is settled, and perhaps someone can help me out here, but I would be really surprised if the league would allow him to negotiate a new contract while he is on suspension.

So for all intents and purposes, the discussion is moot until both the law and the league has passed judgment on him.

Didn't the Cowboys sign Hardy before his suspension was handed down?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
When did he get suspended? To my knowledge that hasn't happened yet and when did the league start taking action before a case has been seen in court?

We see this all the time where a player gets arrested but pushes the case out as long as possible and continues playing.

So unless I am missing something I wouldn't be surprised at all if he signed and played for a team all year before getting his day in court.

Latest posts