Seahawks Draft

QWERTY

Reaction score
Why doesn't the organization draft more players from UW or Washington State?

So many talented players, yet only player I can remember is Dissly, who was doing so well, but then got injured in his first 1-2 years playing pro.

NoGain

Reaction score
They drafted Lucas from WSU year before last.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Why would it matter? It’s not like the NFL does territorial drafts.

chris98251

Reaction score
College Talent and NFL talent miles apart on average, 1 percent are good enough to get drafted, 1 percent of those go on to have what we would call long term NFL careers.

EasyEd48

Reaction score
Hey All,

Hasn't Penix already had a couple mcl years? I'd prefer totally healthy and big fast an strong like Josh Allen. If local I favor Cam Ward if available.

-Ed-

NoGain

Reaction score
There are certain lower key plays I've seen Penix make that have impressed me as much as some of the drop-it-in-the-bucket bombs he nails.

Last night he dropped back to pass but pressure was coming up the middle fast. He turns toward the sideline and there's a receiver in the flat with a defender only a few yards in front of him. This all happened in an instant, but I thought dangerous pass if he throws it. But Penix standing in a slightly unorthodox stance fires it like a rocket to that receiver with an almost side arm motion halfway across the field. I couldn't believe how fast it got there, and that my fears of making that throw were unfounded.

There just aren't many QB's who could have made that throw the way he did. It wowed me even though it wasn't one you'd ever see on a highlight reel.

WarHawks

Reaction score
What college qb is playing better than him right now? I can't see why he wouldn't go top five, except for his injury history.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
College Talent and NFL talent miles apart on average, 1 percent are good enough to get drafted, 1 percent of those go on to have what we would call long term NFL careers.
HS players are closer to being a college player than a college player is being a pro player.. just about the same in any sport... the difference is wide apart.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Arm talent Penix should be a top 5 pick. It reminds me of Russell Wilson. If you just watch the tape he’s elite top of the draft type of talent. His pocket awareness, accuracy and ability to make every NFL throw in tight windows is as good as anyone in the country. But like Wilson’s height teams will be scared of the injury history. He has played in 20+ though which could help him. Huard who is connected with draft guys thinks he goes fairly early. We shall see

NoGain

Reaction score
It will be intriguing next spring how the top QB's start getting seeded. I'm no expert, but it seems from what I've seen and read that Williams, Maye, Daniels are near the top now with Penix closing in. I'm not sure who else might be a top half of the first round QB candidate. But what do I know? Just going to have to wait and see.

GemCity

Reaction score
Penix is going a lot higher than his preseason prediction.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was Top 7…

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I think his stock will keep rising. He might be a top 10 pick. You might have to trade up to secure him.
Let’s see what happens. I’m sure not every team will want Penix that also needs a QB. Seattle has a good shot at him, IMO. But all bets are off the table if UW beats Michigan.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Arm talent Penix should be a top 5 pick. It reminds me of Russell Wilson. If you just watch the tape he’s elite top of the draft type of talent. His pocket awareness, accuracy and ability to make every NFL throw in tight windows is as good as anyone in the country. But like Wilson’s height teams will be scared of the injury history. He has played in 20+ though which could help him. Huard who is connected with draft guys thinks he goes fairly early. We shall see
I’m not worried about his leg injuries. I don’t need him to run, I need him to throw and he throws very, very, well.

The only knock I can see on Penix is if NFL teams say he cannot process and read defenses well enough yet…

I’m sure teams aren’t all that put off on him because he has a leg injury history…he isn’t a running back or receiver and he isn’t pass rushing.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Draft a QB based on:

Measurables - Eliminates almost all the variables needed to become a franchise prototypical QB:
Size (6'2"+ 200lbs+)
Arm strength
Accuracy
Health
Mechanics
Mobility (Not Dual Threat)

Non Measurables - Variables that separate a Jeff George/Daunte Culpepper from a Tom Brady/Joe Montana
Decision making
Football IQ
Leadership

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I’m not worried about his leg injuries. I don’t need him to run, I need him to throw and he throws very, very, well.

The only knock I can see on Penix is if NFL teams say he cannot process and read defenses well enough yet…

I’m sure teams aren’t all that put off on him because he has a leg injury history…he isn’t a running back or receiver and he isn’t pass rushing.
He's probably going to take 40 sacks a year and will need to navigate pockets. The pocket is a warzone. Quarterbacks get leg injuries all the time in the pocket unfortunately. If his knee is deemed structurally unstable after 2 big injuries, it's not really a position a team can afford to have a ticking timebomb at. It's his biggest question mark.

I'm extremely worried, but if teams don't red flag it, we're solid. It's ominous that he's torn the same ACL twice already, though.

chris98251

Reaction score
Draft a QB based on:

Measurables - Eliminates almost all the variables needed to become a franchise prototypical QB:
Size (6'2"+ 200lbs+)
Arm strength
Accuracy
Health
Mechanics
Mobility (Not Dual Threat)

Non Measurables - Variables that separate a Jeff George/Daunte Culpepper from a Tom Brady/Joe Montana
Decision making
Football IQ
Leadership
Left out the most important, ability to process information rapidly and act on what you see simultaneously. The best QB's see and do in a instant making it look easy. Manning, Marino, Fouts, Brees etc had that uncanny knack and all of them were not physical freaks.