Seahawks expected to release DE Red Bryant

Jville

Reaction score
The media and the rush to be first cracks me up ..... LOL

Teams do not have to be under the cap until 3-11.

Red Bryant's scheduled roster bonus is not due until 3-14.

So far the media has cut Clemons .... Rice .... & .... Bryant.

So ..... who will be next as the latest breaking news target.

Any nominations?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Jville":tpoxsmz5 said:

Any nominations?

Miller will be next

Jville

Reaction score
-The Glove-":16j9uw6b said:
Jville":16j9uw6b said:

Any nominations?

Miller will be next

Reasonable nomination ..... Ian Rapoport has already targeted him for a pay cut.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I'm sure it was a hard cut, but to sign Bennett, and keep the core for cap reasons I'm sure it had to be done. I'll miss the guy but I trust JS and PC.
Thanks Red, you're a Super Bowl champ and no one can take that away!

drdiags

Reaction score
Yeah, Rapaport was tweeting before the SB parade that Miller was expected to be cut if he didn't re-do his contract. So he is the next apple to drop most likely. Hadn't seen anything on a potential Clemons cut from media sources but I may have slept on that one.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This is a cut the players will not be happy with. This is their Defensive captain and one of the main guys pete turns to in order to fire up the team.

It makes a lot of sense financially, but this is the type of move that gives us doug baldwin rants.

drdiags

Reaction score
Bennett gets to re-sign at the expense of one of the guys he was comfortable about re-joining. Kind of seen it coming but this is just as big as cutting MRob last year for the defensive side's unity. If Clemons goes as thought, that leaves Mebane as the leader in the DL room. Avril and Bennett most likely will have bigger voices in the locker room but I am not sure they will provide the kind of message some of the outgoing guys did.

Interesting to see how the DL will respond when the 9ers or Panthers are trying to run it down their throats. A little toughness will be heading out the door.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Bummer, I'll miss Red if true. I'm sure he will find a spot somewhere, possibly even here, if no one else jumps on him.

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
drdiags":3bwepm0k said:
Bennett gets to re-sign at the expense of one of the guys he was comfortable about re-joining. Kind of seen it coming but this is just as big as cutting MRob last year for the defensive side's unity. If Clemons goes as thought, that leaves Mebane as the leader in the DL room. Avril and Bennett most likely will have bigger voices in the locker room but I am not sure they will provide the kind of message some of the outgoing guys did.

Interesting to see how the DL will respond when the 9ers or Panthers are trying to run it down their throats. A little toughness will be heading out the door.
Was'nt Bennett a roommate of Red back at A&M? I thought Martellus mentioned that in an interview a few days before the SB. Kinda strange.

Jville

Reaction score
They still have 2 weeks to work all this out. Nobody has been cut yet.

I think Bennett's agent wants to explore free agency ..... unless Seattle makes an offer that can't be refused.

I'm convinced we are going to get a good read, this off season, about the state of Seattle's cap discipline.

drdiags

Reaction score
Hawkalypse":1eq2o7kh said:
Was'nt Bennett a roommate of Red back at A&M? I thought Martellus mentioned that in an interview a few days before the SB. Kinda strange.

Yep. He and Mebane were the two guys Mike wanted to come back to play with. Just like Harvin would end up costing Rice his job. You could see both of these results happening. During the offseason, it is every man for himself. Hope Bennett gets to stash away enough up front for his daughters, because halfway through his contract it will be his turn in the barrel. Just how the NFL rolls.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Baldwin can rant all he wants to, the players agreed to the salary cap system that leads to cuts like this one.

MVP53

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3rnfbhav said:
This is a cut the players will not be happy with. This is their Defensive captain and one of the main guys pete turns to in order to fire up the team.

It makes a lot of sense financially, but this is the type of move that gives us doug baldwin rants.

Well, the players oughta realize this kind of thing happens so they can get theirs.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
This makes my curiosity of what Hageman runs tomorrow higher. I mean, Hageman isn't a huge need if Bryant is released as Bennett can play that role and not have to be pulled in passing situations, but if Hageman were on the board when we pick and other areas that we have needs at aren't looking so great, I'd be fine with his addition. My only question is him taking plays off/disappearing, but with this team and coaching staff, if anyone can get full effort from him I'd think it would be Seattle. He wouldn't be limited to just the end either as I think he could have a Tony McDaniel type impact from the start. Numerous other guys I'd want more in the 1st though, so don't get me wrong, just saying that this opens up more options depending on how the draft plays out.

Jville

Reaction score
A quick look at the current 2014 cap numbers shows ....

Their cap cost is ...... #1 at defensive end at a whopping $30.9 million.
...... and ....... #9 at defensive tackle at $9.8 million.

They are paying thru the nose because of very limited results from all of the last 4 defensive line drafts. The Seahawks must to do a better job of identifying and developing young defensive linemen.

It took half a year to sort out their defensive line and get rolling in 2013. Regardless of who comes and goes, I'm anticipating a similar sorting out process again in 2014.

brettb3

Reaction score
Pete said a couple weeks ago they would have a much better feel for their defensive line rotation going into next year. I'm sure he knew Red (and likely Clemons) would be gone when he made that comment.

Cad

Reaction score
This is one of those cuts that suck.

Red's father-in-law is Jacob Green. He's about as family as a Seahawk can get.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
This sucks because he is married to Green's daughter. I hate seeing the guy go, but PC/JS are going to do what they have to do. Emotional signing is not a good idea.

I wish that they could keep them all, but if you have to cut that area, that is where you do it. Dammit.