Seahawks expected to release DE Red Bryant

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Bprez3":3avix2sp said:
Would rather have Bennett over Red. Quite frankly I don't remember Red being a factor in any games this year.

Agree with the first part, but not with the second. 'Don't remember' and 'didn't pay attention' are two entirely different things. Try looking at run defense and pressures. I get tired of evaluation that are based on how many highlight-reel plays they can remember from any given player w/o considering his role on the team. Brandon Mebane has zero sacks all season. Does that mean he hasn't 'been a factor in any games?' SMH.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":njccgrni said:
Bprez3":njccgrni said:
Would rather have Bennett over Red. Quite frankly I don't remember Red being a factor in any games this year.

Agree with the first part, but not with the second. 'Don't remember' and 'didn't pay attention' are two entirely different things. Try looking at run defense and pressures. I get tired of evaluation that are based on how many highlight-reel plays they can remember from any given player w/o considering his role on the team. Brandon Mebane has zero sacks all season. Does that mean he hasn't 'been a factor in any games?' SMH.
I don't like that releasing Red is a real possibility for this very reason but I am prepared for it and trust that they have their replacement already on the roster. Don't be shocked if the answer is on the offensive side of the team though.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Just another blind guess by "insider" Ian Rappaport. I hope he burns his tongue on his coffee tomorrow.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
I kinda figured either Clemons or Bryant would be restructured or released. I think Michael Bennett is the better player so if it means we can re-sign him, I'm happy.

Good luck RED!

Hawkspur

Reaction score
drdiags":2vpboytn said:
Hawkspur":2vpboytn said:
If you haven't heard the interview he, Robinson and Mebane did onthe ESPN Football Today podcast I suggest checking it out. Particularly if you want to get an insight into his leadership. Very sensible and articulate, to go along with his beastliness on the field. I really hope they can find a way to keep him with the Seahawks.

Here was the one he did with MRob and Mebane on the Dave Dameshek ATL NFL podcast. It has some good stuff from Red in it as well

http://www.nfl.com/podcast/aroundth...53462000/detail?campaign=Twitter_podcasts_atl

Do you have a link for the ESPN Football Today podcast?

Sorry! I'm getting my podcasts muddled. It was Wagner and Kearse on ESPN. You've posted the link to yhe interview I meant to recommend!

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I'm going to assume this is not true until I hear it from more legitimate sources.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
It's life in the NFL. I'm sure the players realize moves like this will happen.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, PC and John know a hell of a lot more about football than any of us. The Hawks just won the title, in huge part because of just that, their knowledge of football and how to put a team together.
They have more than earned my trust. A lot of big contracts coming up, they need to set up for RW/ET/Sherm/Okung etc.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":35733fzp said:
I'm going to assume this is not true until I hear it from more legitimate sources.

That's your prerogative, but both Rice and Bryant were expected to be released this season due to a pretty well-understood combination of factors - most of which have been debated here ad nauseam.

Rice - has a huge cap figure that is not commensurate with how much time he stays on the field, injury history is troubling
Bryant - will turn 30 before the 2014 season starts, also has a huge cap figure that is not commensurate with how much time he stays on the field

Now, that's not to say that those guys won't be back. But they won't be back on the contracts under which they were playing. If they come back to the Hawks, it will be on much, much cheaper deals.

And you can go ahead and start putting together your objections to the posts you're going to see about Clemons' release, too.

You might even see some regarding Zach Miller and Golden Tate (though I don't think that's as likely as the Bryant/Rice/Clemons scenarios.

Also, be prepared to chime in on the "Thanks and good luck" threads for Giacomini, McQuistan, Farwell, Mike Rob, Thurmond, Maragos, McDonald, etc. It's just the reality of the salary cap era.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Thanks for all you did for us Big Red- it was always ALL you had!!!!! Best to you

Steve2222

Reaction score
Hawkalypse":1fvrs1r6 said:
I know the chorus of 'it's overrated' will correspond after I post this, but Red was a bone fide leader and veteran Seahawk. He was the spiritual leader of that team pre-Russ, maybe he comes back at a lower rate. I'm really gonna miss hearing him say "we wanted to weeeiiin."

And Mike Rob was the spiritual leader on offense and special teams and the team didn't miss a beat with him gone.

Yes it is overrated.

Brahn

Reaction score
This is being reported because they probably asked him to restructure or face being cut. My guess is he restructures before it is all said in done.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1ygbur8h said:
Jazzhawk":1ygbur8h said:
I agree 100%. He will be missed. I hope they have a plan to adequately replace him.
Really?

I don't understand comments like this

Because he hopes this isn't something they have to do due to the salary cap and is part of a plan that started before the end of the season? What's not to understand?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
No way to justify paying him that much money for the amount of snaps he was playing, but his leadership will surely be missed. I will really miss his interviews. Definitely one of my favorites.

Seahawks1Fan

Reaction score
Not a shocking move but one that still sucks!
If this is true then thanks for all your hard work Red!!!
You will be missed!

skater18000

Reaction score
This is comparable to Micahel Robinson last year. We cut the player, if he goes and gets big money elsewhere, than good for him. If not, bring him back to compete. I love Big Red, but honnestly his leadership, run stuffing ability to me is only worth around 4-5 a year. Still to much. Wish him the best!

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
seadoc30":2eiisvcd said:
This is not gana a have a good affect on the chemistry.. great leaders like Big Red are as essential as a great head coach.

We have plenty of vocal leaders. Our locker room is full of them. This will pass.

JMR

Reaction score
One of the differences about the M-Rob situation was that he had a pretty serious illness at the time. He also probably wasn't scheduled to make $8mill either.

Red has a skill that's a little different than the other DLs on the team, so hopefully he can come back at a reduced rate.