Seahawks Hand #3 Number to...Artie Burns?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
KJ mentioned on GMF yesterday how he was surprised to learn the Seahawks handed number 3 to Artie Burns and said he had to admit that felt a bit disrespectful. I tend to agree.

Say what you want about RW 2.0, how out of touch he is, cringy, etc, but I think RW 1.0 deserves better. Any Seahawks fan who denies what the man did in the years he was with us is either just being petulant or foolish or both. No, I'm not saying they should retire his number (although the argument isn't so far fetched) but to just casually offer it up to a CB who is new to the team?

Damn, that just feels cold.

BASF

Reaction score
KJ mentioned on GMF yesterday how he was surprised to learn the Seahawks handed number 3 to Artie Burns and said he had to admit that felt a bit disrespectful. I tend to agree.

Say what you want about RW 2.0, how out of touch he is, cringy, etc, but I think RW 1.0 deserves better. Any Seahawks fan who denies what the man did in the years he was with us is either just being petulant or foolish or both. No, I'm not saying they should retire his number (although the argument isn't so far fetched) but to just casually offer it up to a CB who is new to the team?

Not new to the team. He was on the roster last year.

As far as the number situation, Wilson meant so much to this franchise, but the standard for our retired numbers is high. As well it should be. Wilson is not even in the same sentence as Largent (best receiver of all time until the cheater Jerry Rice broke his records), Walter Jones (best left tackle of all time, Munoz was close, but had a lot more holds than Jones did), Cortez Kennedy (who I consider fourth best defensive tackle all time) and Kenny Easley (who even Ronnie Lott considers the best safety all time) So, the standard is Hall Of Fame player (Wilson more than likely does not make it) and being top five in your position all time. Wilson was usually top five in any given year, but I suspect even Me3 Marks will come up with ten QB's that they would take before Wilson all time.

Now, I think it is suspect to retire the number twelve for the fans, but hey, to each their own.

Edit to add as I sit here and think about it. I fully expect that Wagner's jersey will be retired. He was the guy who solidified our defense into the top defense for a half decade. I consider him the third best middle linebacker of all time. I would think no one would put him lower than sixth and I consider that stretching it. He will also be a first ballot hall of famer.

Last edited:

Hollandhawk

Reaction score

Has anyone worn #24, #25,#29 or #31? I didn’t keep track, but all four of those guys were better at their position than Russell was.

RiverDog

Reaction score

I tend to agree. There's no reason why they couldn't have waited a couple more years before they re-issued the number, which is something that I thought most teams do with even modestly accomplished players, say when Stafford went to the Rams. Do you think that the Niners will give Garoppolo's #10 to a journeyman cornerback? This one feels intentional, like a poke in the eye.

It's not a huge deal to me, but I can sure see where it gets others worked up.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Has anyone worn #24, #25,#29 or #31? I didn’t keep track, but all four of those guys were better at their position than Russell was.
DeeJay Dallas has been wearing the #31 jersey since 2020.

#24 and #29 are currently assigned to UDFAs.

Correction: McIntosh is wearing #25.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
So in other words, this is a non story.
While I might agree that some are making a mountain out of a molehill, I wouldn't say that it's a non-story. Did we re-issue Beast's, Sherm's, Earl's, and Kam's numbers one season after their departure?

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
While I might agree that some are making a mountain out of a molehill, I wouldn't say that it's a non-story. Did we re-issue Beast's, Sherm's, Earl's, and Kam's numbers one season after their departure?
Travis Homer wore #25 in 2019 and Sherman left after the 2017 season. Wilson left in 2021 and now Artie Burns wears #3 in 2023.

*EDIT* Thomas left after the 2018 season, DJ reed wore #29 in 2020.
Chancellor left after the 2018 season, DJ Dallas wore #31 in 2020.

So absolutely a non story.

Last edited:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
It's especially a non-story given what time of the year it is. If it actually has story potential (not saying it does), that would happen after the roster is trimmed to 53 players, and Burns still has #3 at that point.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Travis Homer wore #25 in 2019 and Sherman left after the 2017 season. Wilson left in 2021 and now Artie Burns wears #3 in 2023.

*EDIT* Thomas left after the 2018 season, DJ reed wore #29 in 2020.
Chancellor left after the 2018 season, DJ Dallas wore #31 in 2020.

So absolutely a non story.
Russell Wilson was traded on March 8th, 2022, less than 15 months ago. Until then, he was a Seahawk that was under contract. Please don't try to spin things to make your argument look cleaner.

But I agree with you that it's a non story in our eyes. I'm certainly not insulted that they gave away the number so quickly.

However, not everyone sees it that way. It wouldn't have hurt a thing to have waited another year or two before re-issuing the number. It's sort of like your wife passing away then re-marrying two weeks later. Someone might consider it disrespectful of the deceased.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
It's especially a non-story given what time of the year it is. If it actually has story potential (not saying it does), that would happen after the roster is trimmed to 53 players, and Burns still has #3 at that point.
100% this.
This is a non story at this moment.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm not trying to make anything look cleaner? How much time do you think there was between the end of our 2018 season and the start of OTAs in 2020? 17 months?
OK, fair enough.

But my point remains the same: There is no reason why they couldn't have waited another year or two before they re-issued that number. Certainly, Russell's move from Seattle to Denver was much, much more controversial and consequential than any trade, retirement, et al in the history of the franchise, Sherman, Thomas, or Kam not withstanding.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

bileever

Reaction score
I think it's disrespectful when a well-loved player retires or is traded or released against his will, and his number is then assigned to someone else. This is NOT that situation. Why would anyone who forces their way out of town to a team he prefers to play on have any expectations that he will be treated in any special way by the team and fan base that he disrespected in the worst way?

Last edited: