Seahawks Hand #3 Number to...Artie Burns?

RiverDog

Reaction score
The roster currently has 90 players, not 53. That leaves five unused numbers until Cutdown Day, which is pretty close to when the season starts. So "[t]hat leaves 95 numbers available for a 53[-]man squad" is some BS, and you know it.

The Seahawks left uniform number 3 unused last year. That appears to be as much as anyone gets, and honestly, it's more than anyone really needs to get.

Giving Wilson special treatment when he was here allegedly divided the team. Why should the Seahawks keep giving him special treatment after he forced his way out?

Richard Sherman is a lock for the Hall of Fame and was a major contributor to the Seahawks' title. Sherman's number only got a one-year break before Travis Homer got it in 2019. Why should Wilson get even more special treatment even after having left?
OK, good point again on the roster size. But unless they had no other options at all, it's irrelevant to the point I've been trying to make.

As I keep saying, Russell Wilson is unique to any other former Seahawk in that he was not only one of the most popular Seahawks ever, but he forced is way out in the biggest trade in franchise history, an act that made him extremely controversial.

I'm not talking about giving Wilson 'special treatment.' I'm talking about an inanimate object, his jersey number. It's not about respect as much as it is about avoiding a controversy.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Not a good look by the organization, whether it was intentional or not. Its bad enough trying to get stars to come play in Seattle. Just having the most known Seahawk player in history(outside of WA views) getting disrespected, would probably turn off other players. Other casual fans seem this was disrespectful too. The PR guys dropped the ball on this, i agree this was a very avoidable controversy.
Good point on the potential effect this could have on other players or the organization's reputation. It's an angle that I hadn't thought of. I personally don't think it will have such an effect, but why even take the chance that it might when it's completely avoidable?

BASF

Reaction score
Good point on the potential effect this could have on other players or the organization's reputation. It's an angle that I hadn't thought of. I personally don't think it will have such an effect, but why even take the chance that it might when it's completely avoidable?
We have a team that thrives with a chip on it's shoulder. People questioning the handling of Me3's number can provide a nice chip for the organization. As far as hurting other player's feelings, every single player on the Seahawks roster know what kind of a self absorbed jerk he became to the detriment of the team. I sincerely doubt any of them would have taken his side in this.

Last edited:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I agree, there's not much of a controversy now, but as I mentioned in my response to Pmed, suppose Burns starts and does well? It's a potential controversy that was completely avoidable.
I submit to you that it's not even a potential controversy. In order for it to be a controversy, a whole lot more people would actually have to care about it. Right now, on this board, it's pretty much you and @rcaido. Even if Burns keeps #3 into the regular season, nobody is really going to care. Maybe a few pundits might say something, but for most people it's going to be a big yawn-fest.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Not a good look by the organization, whether it was intentional or not. Its bad enough trying to get stars to come play in Seattle. Just having the most known Seahawk player in history(outside of WA views) getting disrespected, would probably turn off other players. Other casual fans seem this was disrespectful too. The PR guys dropped the ball on this, i agree this was a very avoidable controversy.
The only reason stars aren't coming here is because we can't afford to pay them. When we could afford it, Dre'Mont Jones came here in a hot second. The only people concluding Burns wearing #3 isn't a good look for the organization are people who already think that way -- namely, you and @RiverDog.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I submit to you that it's not even a potential controversy. In order for it to be a controversy, a whole lot more people would actually have to care about it. Right now, on this board, it's pretty much you and @rcaido. Even if Burns keeps #3 into the regular season, nobody is really going to care. Maybe a few pundits might say something, but for most people it's going to be a big yawn-fest.
Are our views representative of all fans or even all Seahawk fans? I would suggest that they are not. By our very presence in this forum, we are all very well educated, dedicated fans, not the passive, watch it because that's what everybody else watches types of pseudo, bandwagon fans that make up the bulk of those that watch football. We're almost exclusively male. Would a female fan, with an increased sensitivity towards these types of issues, react like we would?

And BTW, I am not offended by this or personally think that it's an issue. I am arguing against it simply from a PR point of view.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Are our views representative of all fans or even all Seahawk fans? I would suggest that they are not. By our very presence in this forum, we are all very well educated, dedicated fans, not the passive, watch it because that's what everybody else watches types of pseudo, bandwagon fans that make up the bulk of those that watch football. We're almost exclusively male. Would a female fan, with an increased sensitivity towards these types of issues, react like we would?

And BTW, I am not offended by this or personally think that it's an issue. I am arguing against it simply from a PR point of view.
I accept you are discussing this from a PR point of view. I just disagree that there's enough interest in the topic for it to rise to the level of a controversy. And I'd venture to guess that most female fans would be even less likely to care about a player's number than the average male fan.

We'll see. If Burns wears #3 into the season and that becomes a big controversial story, I'll eat some crow.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

Um, so I already said I’m cool with them trading the number. Just one person but I think that sex has nothing to do with this any more than any other category….

Torc

Reaction score

My wife, who is a big enough fan that kids and pets refuse to cuddle up to her during Seahawk games because she yells so much (at both good and bad plays), doesn't give a single crap that someone else is wearing number 3.

I can't speak to female fans in general, but I assure you this doesn't even bump the needle of her 'care' meter.

rcaido

Reaction score
Russell Wilson disrespected Pete and JS by asking for their firing.
Russell Wilson disrespected the Seahawks by handing them a list of teams he'd be willing to be traded to.
Russell Wilson disrespected Seahawk fans by telling us repeatedly that he didn't want to be traded, while actively seeking a trade.
Russell Wilson disrespected all of the above by trying repeatedly to play outside of the system that made him a success, looking to "cement his legacy" instead of winning games.

He was a great QB for us. I am not disrespecting him by saying that now, he is just another former player who is currently on another team. I'm pretty sure other players can see the truth and not be put off by the fact that they only held his number vacant for a year. If they have a problem, I bet BWags can explain things adequately. Any further honors and respect for Russell Wilson can come after his career is over.

Didn't the Seahawks try to shop Wilson to the Browns? Were they not looking to replace Wilson a couple times when he was still hitting his prime? I say both hands are dirty with this divorce. The thing that doesn't change was the success of the organization had w/ Wilson as QB and the face of the franchise for a decade.

I think .net is either still bitter or blind but they don't realized how popular Wilson was from casual nfl fans. Before the season started last year Wilson Bronco was the #1 selling jersey. Throughout his career he was constantly in the top 10 in jersey sales.

2014 -2018 was in the top 5 in merchandise sales. He lead the NFL 2014 and 2015 in merchandise sales.

RiverDog

Reaction score
My wife, who is a big enough fan that kids and pets refuse to cuddle up to her during Seahawk games because she yells so much (at both good and bad plays), doesn't give a single crap that someone else is wearing number 3.

I can't speak to female fans in general, but I assure you this doesn't even bump the needle of her 'care' meter.
It's hard to say what the 'care' meter is with regard to the average female fan, but as I keep getting back to, if you have an option to avoid it, why take the chance that it might?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Didn't the Seahawks try to shop Wilson to the Browns? Were they not looking to replace Wilson a couple times when he was still hitting his prime? I say both hands are dirty with this divorce. The thing that doesn't change was the success of the organization had w/ Wilson as QB and the face of the franchise for a decade.

I think .net is either still bitter or blind but they don't realized how popular Wilson was from casual nfl fans. Before the season started last year Wilson Bronco was the #1 selling jersey. Throughout his career he was constantly in the top 10 in jersey sales.

2014 -2018 was in the top 5 in merchandise sales. He lead the NFL 2014 and 2015 in merchandise sales.
There were rumors that we were contemplating a trade with the Bears during that period of time, too. A number of Seahawk players who were a whole heck of a lot closer to the situation than any of us said that both Russell and Pete were to blame for their mutual falling out.

Pete is a very experienced coach, but the one thing that he never had to deal with prior to Russell's arrival was managing a true franchise quarterback. Like it or not, in today's NFL, the franchise quarterback has nearly as much power and influence as the head coach, even a borderline HOF coach like Pete.

Good point about using merchandise sales as a gauge of his popularity.

Last edited:

pmedic920

Reaction score
I accept you are discussing this from a PR point of view. I just disagree that there's enough interest in the topic for it to rise to the level of a controversy. And I'd venture to guess that most female fans would be even less likely to care about a player's number than the average male fan.

We'll see. If Burns wears #3 into the season and that becomes a big controversial story, I'll eat some crow.
You may be trusting MSM way too much, they thrive on making controversy and stories out of nothing.
I’d say wait till a slow news day but I don’t think it will even require that.

pmedic920

Reaction score
“SEATTLE TACKLE TWILL”

All you guys that have a #3 that you thought you’d never wear again can have a quality name plate made with Burns, your own name/nickname etc.

Edit:it seems they go by STT sports lettering now, but still the same company.
Been in business many years, quality products, professional and trustworthy.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
You may be trusting MSM way too much, they thrive on making controversy and stories out of nothing.
I’d say wait till a slow news day but I don’t think it will even require that.
While that's a very fair point, and I don't really trust them at all, I don't think even they could pump life into this one. All the people who would be offended are already offended. We'll see.

sc85sis

Reaction score

As another female fan, I can state I don’t care either. They held it out for a year. He’s not retired or in the Hall. There’s no reason for the number to be off limits.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
None of these numbers are retired yet. All of the LoB + Lynch have had their numbers recycled.

Feels like a nothing burger.

When Russ comes home and enters the Ring of Honor, then we can retire the #3.

RiverDog

Reaction score
None of these numbers are retired yet. All of the LoB + Lynch have had their numbers recycled.

Feels like a nothing burger.

When Russ comes home and enters the Ring of Honor, then we can retire the #3.
There's lots of former Seahawks in the ROH that don't have their numbers retired. Although it's not official, the threshold for retiring a number is the HOF.

Having said that, Russell is a slam dunk for the ROH.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
It's a thorny issue for sure, but I believe there is a solution.

Just give Artie Burns that number on the AI generated mascot, 1Ↄ.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230603_180850_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230603_180850_YouTube.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 2