Seahawks "interested" in Gus Bradley [Signed w/ SD]

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't care. This is Pete's defense.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2ezdt4zn said:
How will this help our offense?

Cable is demoted or probably let go completely if Gus given Assist. HC title.

Multiple sources report Cable would be gone before Bevell.

mikeak

Reaction score
Gus built this years Jacksonville. I thought it was incredibly unfair to fire him last year. Look at how close they were last year in so many games this season was expected. Yeah I would take him back especially if Cable goes

xgeoff

Reaction score
I love the idea of Gus coming back as Pete's heir apparent. And that Jags defense that everyone is crowing about was largely built by Gus. That being said, I'm not down on Richard like a lot of other folks are. I also think that it's harder to judge what the calls are on Defense when you play a very basic scheme like the Seahawks do. It's either Cover 3 or Cover 1, or it's a bilitz (which rarely happened).

Beyond that you can do a number of things: twists and slants on the DL to disrupt the opposing run game or put more pressure on the QB. You could have specialty personnel packages like the NASCAR pass rush package that we used to have.

I do think that he showed bad judgement in continuing to play Bennett. I heard Bennett had severe plantar fascia issues, which might be why he played so poorly. However, the point is that he DID play poorly and should have been pulled from the starting lineup.

I also think some of the calls at the end of games, like the Redskins game and the Jags game, were pretty bad.

On the whole, though, the Defense kept us in a lot of games that we had no business being in, because the offense was so atrocious. Cable must go, that's a must. And I'm not a fan of Bevell. But Richard I think has great potential.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
THE TABS":y2xmnkdd said:
Talk about a double edged sword. We bring back Gus, who singlehandedly destroyed our 2012 season and cost us a chance at the Super Bowl with so many blown fourth quarter leads, including the debacle in Atlanta.

On the other hand, it could mean Tom Cable leaves. It’s almost worth it. :lol:
Only do this if the above happens and the current OC is 86’ed as well.
Gus is a great coach but a horrible playcaller that is in love with softzone/prevent defensive schemes.

Chapow

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1klqjyro said:
How will this help our offense?

Did you miss the part where it says that this would result in Cable being let go?

Fade

Reaction score
Gus is the master of 4th qtr blown leads. The results are not what makes me dislike him, it's how he goes about it.

He plays generic soft cover 3, or rushes 5 and plays soft zone behind it. It allows the opposing QB to have incredibly easy reads, and throws. It is frustrating because when Gus is trailing in games he will press his corners, and play more man.

But then he will turtle up and go soft zone once he has a lead. Absolutely maddening!

Just stick with the defense that got you the lead Gus, Jesus Christ. I am having flashbacks.

That is what Quinn did when he came in as DC, he pressed his corners in the 4th qtr, he didn't turtle. The other thing Quinn is really excellent at is designing his stunts and twists to get pressure without having to blitz. Pete needs to pair with a DC that has a D-Line background to maximize his defense.

Lateral move.

Fire Cable anyway. Even if it doesn't happen.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of talk on here about Cable leaving if Gus comes back, but Cable's primary job is still O-line coach. Gus doesn't change that.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
mikeak":1gjzpx5v said:
Gus built this years Jacksonville. I thought it was incredibly unfair to fire him last year. Look at how close they were last year in so many games this season was expected. Yeah I would take him back especially if Cable goes
What are you talking about? Gus didn't have Bouye, Church, Gipson, Campbell, Fournette, Westbrook, or Cole. Those are some huge pieces that have elevated that team. He hardly used Myles Jack or Dante Fowler. Gus dug his own grave while he was there. Granted, he didn't have the above talent, but he had some good building pieces to work with and floundered. Bortles regression started on his watch. He deserved to be canned. He was a failure there.

chris98251

Reaction score
Gus is Richard 2.0 Richard even states he tried to follow a lot of Bradleys style in defense, problem is where does Richard go, his coaching abilities of the DB's has been one of our mainstays here and would be a huge loss I think. Cable being replaced I am for but adding to the defense and subtracting the offense?

Richard I hope does get the HC gig if this is how were going to do it.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
If it means getting rid of both Cable and Richard then it's a good move. Bradley was a solid DC other than his prevent and 3rd down struggles.

But of course Pete keeps Bevell because Loyalty Forever plays out.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Didn't Cable want to get Gus Bradley as his DC in San Fran before he declined the job?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
IrishNW":3jneo99q said:
Seanhawk":3jneo99q said:
Ugh. Not a fan of this. Bradley's defenses had the same deficiencies as Richard's. Lateral move at best. Then the possibility of grooming him as the next head coach? Double ugh.

Gus Bradley had the least amount of talent out of all of our coordinators. When Dan Quinn took over we added Mike Bennett and Cliff Avril. I think you could make the case that Gus Bradley actually got the most bang for your buck.

I respectfully disagree. 2012 had incredible depth on the defensive line. In 2013 Avril was not a starter, Clemons was and if I am not mistaken neither was Bennett. Richard has had to deal with a lot of injuries along with depleted depth at the DL and DBs.

Defensive Line

99 Alan Branch DT
79 Red Bryant DE
97 Patrick Chukwurah DE
94 Jaye Howard DT
51 Bruce Irvin DE
69 Clinton McDonald DT
92 Brandon Mebane DT
98 Greg Scruggs DE

Linbackers

52 Allen Bradford OLB
55 Heath Farwell OLB
56 Leroy Hill OLB
57 Mike Morgan MLB
53 Malcolm Smith OLB
54 Bobby Wagner MLB
50 K. J. Wright OLB

Defensive Backs

39 Brandon Browner CB
31 Kam Chancellor SS
27 Winston Guy SS
32 Jeron Johnson SS
20 Jeremy Lane CB
42 Chris Maragos FS
41 Byron Maxwell CB
35 DeShawn Shead SS
25 Richard Sherman CB
29 Earl Thomas FS *
23 Marcus Trufant CB

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2ngl339u said:
Ugh. Not a fan of this. Bradley's defenses had the same deficiencies as Richard's. Lateral move at best. Then the possibility of grooming him as the next head coach? Double ugh.

Agree 100%.

IrishNW

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":25e0yhle said:
IrishNW":25e0yhle said:
Seanhawk":25e0yhle said:

Gus Bradley had the least amount of talent out of all of our coordinators. When Dan Quinn took over we added Mike Bennett and Cliff Avril. I think you could make the case that Gus Bradley actually got the most bang for your buck.

I respectfully disagree. 2012 had incredible depth on the defensive line. In 2013 Avril was not a starter, Clemons was and if I am not mistaken neither was Bennett. Richard has had to deal with a lot of injuries along with depleted depth at the DL and DBs.

Defensive Line

99 Alan Branch DT
79 Red Bryant DE
97 Patrick Chukwurah DE
94 Jaye Howard DT
51 Bruce Irvin DE
69 Clinton McDonald DT
92 Brandon Mebane DT
98 Greg Scruggs DE

Linbackers

52 Allen Bradford OLB
55 Heath Farwell OLB
56 Leroy Hill OLB
57 Mike Morgan MLB
53 Malcolm Smith OLB
54 Bobby Wagner MLB
50 K. J. Wright OLB

Defensive Backs

39 Brandon Browner CB
31 Kam Chancellor SS
27 Winston Guy SS
32 Jeron Johnson SS
20 Jeremy Lane CB
42 Chris Maragos FS
41 Byron Maxwell CB
35 DeShawn Shead SS
25 Richard Sherman CB
29 Earl Thomas FS *
23 Marcus Trufant CB

The 2013 D-line was the 2012 d-line with bennett and avril added(doesnt matter if they didnt start). Gus bradley had 1 legit pass rusher on his d-line and a rookie bruce irvin. Quinn had 4 legit pass rushers that all contributed and all stayed healthy. The linebackers and secondary stayed the same with Maxwell taking over for BB.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
IrishNW":1pbt6t1r said:
The 2013 D-line was the 2012 d-line with bennett and avril added(doesnt matter if they didnt start). Gus bradley had 1 legit pass rusher on his d-line and a rookie bruce irvin. Quinn had 4 legit pass rushers that all contributed and all stayed healthy. The linebackers and secondary stayed the same with Maxwell taking over for BB.

Are you sticking to him having the least amount of talent out the 3 DCs?