Seahawks looking for o-line help

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Trading For Alex Mack youd have to be willing to pay 4 of his 8 m for half his season.

If his Sport Trac numbers are correct, he has no signing bonus. So maybe he's willing to convert lets say 3.2m of his remaining 2015 salary into SB. Drops his 4m salary to only $1.6m.

You can find ways to clear up $1.6- $2m alot easier than $4 mil.

Hell if you could find a trading partner for Kearse, you could clear up 1.18m right there.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1e59rtsq said:
Trading For Alex Mack youd have to be willing to pay 4 of his 8 m for half his season.

If his Sport Trac numbers are correct, he has no signing bonus. So maybe he's willing to convert lets say 3.2m of his remaining 2015 salary into SB. Drops his 4m salary to only $1.6m.

You can find ways to clear up $1.6- $2m alot easier than $4 mil.

Hell if you could find a trading partner for Kearse, you could clear up 1.18m right there.

Kearse, a 2nd and a restructure of Bane should do it.

Our cap situation looks pretty ugly right now, but there's a chance the likes of Okung and Lynch wont be with the team next year, the latter counts $11.5m against the cap in 2016.

Without Marshawn we're not the same team, and we're going to need to rely on a passing game as we move forward. Beast is a once in a generation back, we're not going to replace what he's given us over the past five years. Guys like Mack and Thomas aren't available to Seattle in the draft, if we can make it happen, we should. Wilson's proven he can do excellent things with average pass protection.

Maybe the 49ers are now dumb enough to trade their guys to a division rival, rumours are Boone and Staley are on the trading block. An interior of Boone and Mack would elevate this line instantly. We can dream, huh.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I'm a huge Alex Mack fan. But trading a first round pick for a center who turns 30 in two weeks and can void his contract at the end of the season? I'd rather ride it out, go after him in free agency and keep the first rounder.

Yes it's a Championship window. Yes Mack would be a massive upgrade. But can he also play guard and right tackle?

Exittium

Reaction score
There's no way Graham is going. Imo Pete has his toy and chance with Percy. I feel that Graham is JS turn for a toy and chance.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":15etkrx9 said:
I'm a huge Alex Mack fan. But trading a first round pick for a center who turns 30 in two weeks and can void his contract at the end of the season? I'd rather ride it out, go after him in free agency and keep the first rounder.

Yes it's a Championship window. Yes Mack would be a massive upgrade. But can he also play guard and right tackle?

Agree here..

and when we define window we should do so around the players that give us that...

The Patriots are the example. That window was been open as long as two people, Brady and Belichek, have been there doing there thing. Everyone else has come and gone.

massari

Reaction score
I don't want the Hawks to give up anymore high draft picks for guys with big cap hits.

They need to be trading guys for high draft picks and signing free agents imo.

They could've gotten C-Wisniewski and RG-Mathis for free and very cheap contracts before the season.

Hawks46

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2nc8t8pp said:

I'm with you, but it still has possibilities. Mack can void his contract, that and age actually lowers his trade value. Cleveland also needs WR help badly. Someone mentioned Kearse and a 2nd. I'd do that in a heartbeat, if we could rework Mack's contract to get his some money into a signing bonus and lock him up for 2 years.

I like Somerset's comment about the Niners. Boone has made is known he is unhappy there (although he'd want more money than we could probably pay) and Staley would be a huge upgrade in terms of stability at the LT position. I honestly think Okung is better and more talented, but he just can't stay on the field consistently and when you average Okung with having to play Bailey there, it equals out as worse than Staley.

I don't think the NIners would strengthen us this way though. They are a train wreck, but Baalke is still not an idiot and he won't hook us up that way. Maybe after the season when York goes postal after a 4 win season and fires Baalke and Tomsula then we can sift through the ashes.

Typically it's going to be tough to get a good OL during the season. Pretty much every team wants OL help right now, excepting the Packers and the Cowboys.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Richardson is coming off an injury - not his first ACL surgery, either - and will be a hard sell. Don't think teams are going to bite without seeing him on the field first.

firebee

Reaction score
I'd trade Michael Bennett, a pick and P-Rich or Matthews for Alex Mack and Joe Thomas. With the way Clark and Marsh have been playing, I'm comfortable with them stepping in for Bennett. Bennett's going to hold out on his contract next year because he's only due to make 4 million dollars next year.... Unless, he gets a new contract, he's holding out... It's guaranteed. I think the production we'd get out of Mack and Thomas as replacements on the line would far outweigh the production we might lose with Clark and Marsh filling in as replacements for Bennett. With Baldwin, Lockett and Graham; P-Rich and Matthews are expendable. On a swap... Bennett's contract and P-Rich's contract would pretty much clear the cap to pick up Mack and Thomas. Then we can renegotiate with Thomas to get him under a new contract for the next 3-5 years in the offseason. O-Line would be fixed and we wouldn't have to deal with Bennett negotiations in the offseason. I'm fairly certain we're looking at cutting ties with Bennett sooner than later anyways. Drafting Marsh last year and Clark in the 1st round this year kind of give that indication.

timmat

Reaction score
With Lockette now out for the season, WR trade talks better not include Chris Matthews any more. He's a big body, and good on special teams coverage. Our kick coverage is good, so if we took both Lockette and Matthews out of that mix, that would be a mistake.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I think the Hawks are strictly looking for a cheap, backup center, guard, or tackle on another team that can provide some competition for the starters and perhaps push for a starting job later in the season. I don't think they are going to be trading high picks, think a 6th or a 7th rounder for a decent backup.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
timmat":1x6npkfa said:
With Lockette now out for the season, WR trade talks better not include Chris Matthews any more. He's a big body, and good on special teams coverage. Our kick coverage is good, so if we took both Lockette and Matthews out of that mix, that would be a mistake.

Don't forget Lane is a great gunner and Kasen Williams/Kevin Smith could be just as serviceable on ST.

Think it would be foolish to pass on Alex Mack because of some punt coverage. The bigger issue IMO with acquiring a Mack is the draft compensation and shuffling of salary. Because the Browns aren't about to trade a Pro Bowl center for Jermaine Kearse.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
To me, this would be a huge admission that a plan to find a starting center from the pool they had was truly foolish.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Since the season is half over, it would give an opportunity to not pay them for half the year thus allowing less cap. Mathis would have been $5mm more for the whole season. You could probably have Thomas for half the season versus mathis for full.

firebee

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3lt0594l said:
timmat":3lt0594l said:

Don't forget Lane is a great gunner and Kasen Williams/Kevin Smith could be just as serviceable on ST.

Think it would be foolish to pass on Alex Mack because of some punt coverage. The bigger issue IMO with acquiring a Mack is the draft compensation and shuffling of salary. Because the Browns aren't about to trade a Pro Bowl center for Jermaine Kearse.

Cleveland wouldn't trade Mack for one of our receivers... period. Not even if we added picks. They would trade Mack for Bennett. They are soft up front on defense and Bennett would be an impact player almost immediately for them. While I love Bennett's production, I don't think our play would drop off much with Marsh and Clark stepping in for Bennett. They're both playing great and I think one of them replacing Bennett is inevitable anyways. Then consider that Bennett is, most likely, going to hold out next year when he's due to receive 4 million. He wanted to renegotiate this year and he's making 6 million. I'm almost counting on him holding out next year if he doesn't get a new contract. We could just avoid that whole mess by trading him now.

Then I like us trading P-Rich and a draft pick for Joe Thomas. With Lockett coming in this year, I don't think we really need P-Rich. He doesn't give us any dynamic in the receiving corp that Lockett and Baldwin don't already give us. If we landed Alex Mack and Joe Thomas on our offensive line, we'd be looking real good on both sides of the ball. Our defense wouldn't drop off much with Clark and Marsh filling in for Bennett, and our offense would roll over defenses with those guys stepping in on our line and providing some stability. Trading Bennett, P-Rich and a pick to Cleveland for Mack and Thomas wouldn't be popular, but it would be the right move in my opinion.

Mojambo

Reaction score
You are vastly underestimating how great Bennett is, and placing WAY too much hope on both Clark and Marsh to replace him, IMHO.

Bennett has been one of the top ten defensive players in all of football this year.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
firebee":2z39g6r7 said:
Hasselbeck":2z39g6r7 said:
timmat":2z39g6r7 said:

Cleveland wouldn't trade Mack for one of our receivers... period. Not even if we added picks. They would trade Mack for Bennett. They are soft up front on defense and Bennett would be an impact player almost immediately for them. While I love Bennett's production, I don't think our play would drop off much with Marsh and Clark stepping in for Bennett. They're both playing great and I think one of them replacing Bennett is inevitable anyways. Then consider that Bennett is, most likely, going to hold out next year when he's due to receive 4 million. He wanted to renegotiate this year and he's making 6 million. I'm almost counting on him holding out next year if he doesn't get a new contract. We could just avoid that whole mess by trading him now.

Then I like us trading P-Rich and a draft pick for Joe Thomas. With Lockett coming in this year, I don't think we really need P-Rich. He doesn't give us any dynamic in the receiving corp that Lockett and Baldwin don't already give us. If we landed Alex Mack and Joe Thomas on our offensive line, we'd be looking real good on both sides of the ball. Our defense wouldn't drop off much with Clark and Marsh filling in for Bennett, and our offense would roll over defenses with those guys stepping in on our line and providing some stability. Trading Bennett, P-Rich and a pick to Cleveland for Mack and Thomas wouldn't be popular, but it would be the right move in my opinion.

Barf! Barf to all of that. Disgusting.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2pe67pbc said:
To me, this would be a huge admission that a plan to find a starting center from the pool they had was truly foolish.
Yep, and PC & JS have never shied away from admitting mistakes and moving on (Harvin).

mrt144

Reaction score
Would we really trade to Cleveland only a few weeks ahead of our game against them?

Latest posts