Seahawks looking for o-line help

firebee

Reaction score
Mojambo":pcbb0ahz said:
You are vastly underestimating how great Bennett is, and placing WAY too much hope on both Clark and Marsh to replace him, IMHO.

Bennett has been one of the top ten defensive players in all of football this year.

I'm not underestimating Bennett and I'm not placing too much hope on Clark and Marsh. I'm basing projections based on what I've seen them do in games. They're both playmakers that can disrupt and I just don't see our defense dropping off that much if those guys stepped in for Bennett. The improvement that Mack and Thomas would bring to the offensive line would outweigh the loss of Bennett's production on defense... especially if you consider that sustained drives keep our defense off the field. Mack and Thomas would greatly improve our offense's ability to sustain drives and control the ball. That keeps our defense fresh and puts points on the board.

If Cleveland's looking to trade Mack and/or Thomas, both zone blocking lineman that are in the Cable mold, I'd have to really consider throwing Bennett out there because they are soft up front on defense and he's the only somewhat expendable player I see Cleveland trading for when I look at their roster and our roster. They aren't going to trade either of those guys for one of our receivers, unless we give up multiple picks that would include a 1st or 2nd round pick. Not to mention, you'd have to cut a player to make room for Mack on the cap, so including Bennett in the deal balances the trade out on the cap.

If you lose the homer perspective and the attachment to players because they're wearing a Seahawk uniform, P-Rich and Bennett for Mack and Thomas, arguably two of the best players at their position in the NFL; it's kind of a no-brainer when you look at our situation on offense. If our defense is on the field for the majority of the game because our offense can't consistently sustain drives, all the impact plays by Bennett become pointless when the rest of the defense is gassed by the 4th quarter and give up one big play after another.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1aqbjcis said:
To me, this would be a huge admission that a plan to find a starting center from the pool they had was truly foolish.

I'm not so sure. Nowak has been better lately and LMJ and Lewis are solid backups just like in previous years. My guess is they are looking for tackle depth. Right now the situation at tackle is uglier and thinner than center, IMO.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
firebee":yzizumot said:
Trading Bennett, P-Rich and a pick to Cleveland for Mack and Thomas wouldn't be popular, but it would be the right move in my opinion.

lol.

1.) Trading Bennett would be completely foolish and we'd lose money by doing so..
2.) Cleveland isn't trading their two best linemen for a WR coming off an ACL tear and Michael Bennett who is not a 3-4 fit.
3.) No. Just no.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":hyv5wgwo said:
To me, this would be a huge admission that a plan to find a starting center from the pool they had was truly foolish.

I think that might be a stretch. Obviously, I think they presumed the quality would drop off significantly. But incorrectly assumed it wouldn't have as big of a negative impact on the team. Probably a result of how they performed when Unger was out.

Although I tend to think this was the big picture plan all along. To pare down the OL spend cap wise and distribute it elsewhere. The notion that we were already planning on cutting Unger for cap reasons aligns with that.

I don't believe they thought they'd be good at center. Merely satisfactory. I would assume they knew they would have growing pains with Nowak. And honestly, given how the offseason went, I don't think he was their plan A. I do think they overestimated the quality they had there going in with Lewis/Nowak and LJP at backup.

massari

Reaction score
No way do the Hawks give up more high draft picks for more big cap hits. Mack and Thomas would be just that.

If the Browns are having a fire sale, I would look into what it'd take to get Josh Gordon's rights. Maybe Chris Matthews+mid/late round pick? The Browns still apparently will hold his rights after the season even though his contract is up and maybe can be had for a steal. Who knows but I'd probably be willing to give up something like Matthews+4th if they know he's going to be reinstated and can sign him to a deal similar to what Aldon Smith got from the Raiders. Of course this would have to happen after the season though.

Mojambo

Reaction score
No way I'm throwing away Matthews and a draft pick for Gordon.

Trading for Gordon is like trading for a one hundred dollar bill. A one hundred dollar bill that is currently on fire.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Mojambo":2zc74axz said:

Trading for Gordon is like trading for a one hundred dollar bill. A one hundred dollar bill that is currently on fire.

at least weed is legal in Washington so he wouldn't have to worry about getting busted by the cops...

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
netskier":193ywqus said:
I think they might trade Matthews because we don't pass to him enough to value him, and just use him for blocking. He caught the first four passes targeted this year, but that took three games. Not sure if he got any more targets. He should have trade value from staring in the Superbowl. What a huge, or perhaps tall, waste.
No, he stares at you. GO HAWKS!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
FYI -- Continuing off my previous post.. my guy says the Browns are trying to leverage a 1 or 2 out of Seattle for Mack .. Seattle holding firm at a 3 or 4 + player (still believed to be Kearse/Matthews). Their belief is that they will get compensatory picks in the offseason to replenish what they have given out already for Seisay, McCray and then a Mack deal. But the big obstacle is shuffling the cap space to squeeze him in AND finding the right blend of draft capital + player to get the Browns to bite.

Apparently the Broncos are also coming in strong, but after Thomas more than Mack.

So... yeah.. stay tuned.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":lnvcu772 said:
FYI -- Continuing off my previous post.. my guy says the Browns are trying to leverage a 1 or 2 out of Seattle for Mack .. Seattle holding firm at a 3 or 4 + player (still believed to be Kearse/Matthews). Their belief is that they will get compensatory picks in the offseason to replenish what they have given out already for Seisay, McCray and then a Mack deal. But the big obstacle is shuffling the cap space to squeeze him in AND finding the right blend of draft capital + player to get the Browns to bite.

Apparently the Broncos are also coming in strong, but after Thomas more than Mack.

So... yeah.. stay tuned.

I say no...maybe Kearse but not the high pick and not Matthews. Matthews will be needed to replace Lockette on special teams and should also get a bigger role on the offence. I could go with Kearse and a 4th...

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Scottemojo":21ctlhvj said:

In accounting and finance this is called a "sunk cost". It's already accounted for so if it's a failed investment, move on and reinvest. This is probably why it's so important to have a FO more interested in results and not egos.

Mojambo

Reaction score
I'd do Kearse and a 4 definitely.

And if it took a 3, I think it's probably worth it too.

massari

Reaction score
Mojambo":14zbnoxr said:

Gordon's a top 5 WR in the NFL. Matthews+4th and an Aldon Smith type contract isn't giving up much at all for a talent like his, even with the chance he gets suspended again. He'd easily be worth it if that's all the Hawks had to give up.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3pristkm said:

So... yeah.. stay tuned.

So then the Hawks would let Mack walk at the end of the season and get back a comp. draft pick? Or would they only agree to a trade if Mack agrees to a contract extension? It seems a heavy price to pay for a 8 game rental. Is Mack really that much better than Unger was?

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3gf3l9hk said:

So... yeah.. stay tuned.

Seems like a bad trade for the Hawks in my opinion. Giving up a third to pay an older, on the decline center in the middle of the season. I'd rather stick with Novak this year and use a high draft pick next year for a center. The Hawks need to stop letting their eyes grow big at every shiny, golden apple that other teams dangle before them. The reason the Browns are willing to trade him is because his best, injury free years are behind him. Just my opinion. I'd make the trade for a 5th rounder though.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
2 of the Browns top DBs suffered concussions yesterday. I wonder if putting Williams in the package with a WR and a draft pick would be enough to get Mack. Right now the OL needs a vet center. Nowak can be moved to G if needed. Williams is expendable with Burley back healthy to play the nickel, Shead can man the outside spot vacated Williams, and Lane is due to come off PUP and start practicing next week.

Also I think maybe Baldwin could be on the block. Especially with PRich coming back and the emergence of Lockett. Really both those guys can add what Baldwin does....Ravens may be in the market for WR. Steve Smith Sr is out for the season. They need receiving help. While I would hate to see ADB go, he offers more value in terms of attractiveness to other teams than Kearse or anyone else not named Graham. In some ways ADB is the odd man out in the Seahawk offense.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Schefter now reporting Mack would not waive his NTC. So.. another hurdle to clear.. one that may be impossible no matter what compensation they are willing to give.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":tumtsj35 said:
Schefter now reporting Mack would not waive his NTC. So.. another hurdle to clear.. one that may be impossible no matter what compensation they are willing to give.

Yup. Here's his Facebook post:

On night before trade deadline, Browns C Alex Mack said he will not waive no-trade clause in his contract if Cleveland tries to deal him.

"I have a 'no trade' clause in my contract," Mack said. "It was included for a good reason: I'm not leaving my teammates, coaches and Browns fans while there is work this season to be finished."

https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/posts/1044835808902393

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":5v1l28d3 said:
Hasselbeck":5v1l28d3 said:

So... yeah.. stay tuned.

So then the Hawks would let Mack walk at the end of the season and get back a comp. draft pick? Or would they only agree to a trade if Mack agrees to a contract extension? It seems a heavy price to pay for a 8 game rental. Is Mack really that much better than Unger was?

Believe the reference to the comp picks were the ones the team anticipates on being awarded to them in 2016.

Extension was never really brought up, so can't really say one way or the other on that. Just that there is/was interest from Seattle but.. between the money owed, the compensation and now Mack saying he won't waive his no trade clause.. I think this has a 1% chance at happening.

Maybe they go after a backup OL of some sort.. but not much chatter on that.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
why would he leave?? They are building something special in Cleveland....and Manziel always pays for the booze too!

Latest posts