Seahawks out of hunt for Andre Johnson (Signed w/ Colts)

The Outfield

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2ddurt3h said:
The Outfield":2ddurt3h said:
While it would be nice, I don't think we can afford him.

Why do you say that? The Seahawks have spent very little money so far.

According to OverTheCap.com, we have $14m left. Some of that will need to go to Wilson and Wagner. Maybe if Andre is only a one year deal.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The Outfield":qycyfrtc said:
CurryStopstheRuns":qycyfrtc said:
The Outfield":qycyfrtc said:

According to OverTheCap.com, we have $14m left. Some of that will need to go to Wilson and Wagner. Maybe if Andre is only a one year deal.

I don't think we get Johnson, but the cap for Wilson and Wagner will both be pro-rated signing bonus numbers. They will continue under the same base salary as they have currently. That is how Schneider has been doing the deals when he re-worked them in the past for guys like Kam, Earl and Sherman.

The Outfield

Reaction score
kidhawk":2y332ocv said:
The Outfield":2y332ocv said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2y332ocv said:
The Outfield":2y332ocv said:

I don't think we get Johnson, but the cap for Wilson and Wagner will both be pro-rated signing bonus numbers. They will continue under the same base salary as they have currently. That is how Schneider has been doing the deals when he re-worked them in the past for guys like Kam, Earl and Sherman.

That's true and that's why I think it could only be a one year deal. All of these young guys' contracts will start piling up big time.

Also we now have big gaps on the OL that may cost some $ to fill.

2_0_6

Reaction score
My guess is he goes to the Colts not only for the "U" reunion, but he can stick it to the Texans twice a year..

kobebryant

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":p98c2lgz said:
My guess is he goes to the Colts not only for the "U" reunion, but he can stick it to the Texans twice a year..

But maybe if the Hawks get Wilfork, currently having dinner in Bellevue, he can convince Andre of a U reunion in Seattle.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":kcwuon83 said:
Wouldn't hold my breath on this.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/575445206528454656[/tweet]

You did read that, right ? Sources close to AJ "feel" he "could" sign ....blah blah blah. It means nothing.

Sure there's a lot of peripheral stuff pointing to why Johnson would sign in Indy, but he also has a better chance of getting a ring here. You want to cement a legacy ? It's going to be in Seattle, son.

cacksman

Reaction score
The Outfield":1z4uercm said:

That's true and that's why I think it could only be a one year deal. All of these young guys' contracts will start piling up big time.

Why do fans make statements like:
"I don't think we can afford him" (Yes, we clearly can.)
"I think it could only be a one year deal" (Johnson would never sign a 1 year deal, when he can get at least 2-3 and guarantee himself more money)

I wouldn't bet on him coming here, but if he'd value a true chance at a ring on an elite team over playing with his old buddies on a mere good team, we have a better shot than we think.

cacksman

Reaction score
kobebryant":13p1g8t3 said:
Hawk_Nation":13p1g8t3 said:

But maybe if the Hawks get Wilfork, currently having dinner in Bellevue, he can convince Andre of a U reunion in Seattle.

Source? Random twitter guy with an egg for an avi doesn't count.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
It's pretty weird how quiet the Andre Johnson front has been today. We heard a lot of talk this morning, but not a peep after.

kobebryant

Reaction score
cacksman":13qezd5d said:
kobebryant":13qezd5d said:
Hawk_Nation":13qezd5d said:

Softy.

Bprez3

Reaction score
kobebryant":7egdukxj said:
cacksman":7egdukxj said:
kobebryant":7egdukxj said:
Hawk_Nation":7egdukxj said:

Softy.

Wasn't Softy's "source" the twitter guy with the egg as his avi?

Laloosh

Reaction score
I feel like indy is a done deal if he flew there with frank. Also can't help but wonder if us signing graham would do anything to entice him to wait and at least fly out here for a day to consider it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawks46":33j0qjq2 said:
Hasselbeck":33j0qjq2 said:
Wouldn't hold my breath on this.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/575445206528454656[/tweet]

You did read that, right ? Sources close to AJ "feel" he "could" sign ....blah blah blah. It means nothing.

Sure there's a lot of peripheral stuff pointing to why Johnson would sign in Indy, but he also has a better chance of getting a ring here. You want to cement a legacy ? It's going to be in Seattle, son.

That Braddock guy is in tune with Houston players.. again.. I would not hold my breath that the Seahawks are a "finalist"

The Outfield

Reaction score
cacksman":35hlt4an said:
The Outfield":35hlt4an said:

Why do fans make statements like:
"I don't think we can afford him" (Yes, we clearly can.)
"I think it could only be a one year deal" (Johnson would never sign a 1 year deal, when he can get at least 2-3 and guarantee himself more money)

I wouldn't bet on him coming here, but if he'd value a true chance at a ring on an elite team over playing with his old buddies on a mere good team, we have a better shot than we think.

Of course he wouldn't sign a 1 year deal, that's my point.

Hyak

Reaction score
I hope he signs with Indy as he's really regressed as a receiver. Rather get a younger receiver in the next wave of FA or better yet the draft.

jake206

Reaction score
Honestly don't hope we sign him. He looks like he's about to get injured this season.

jkitsune

Reaction score
JTB":1vtpo5z0 said:
I hope he signs with Indy as he's really regressed as a receiver. Rather get a younger receiver in the next wave of FA or better yet the draft.

In light of the Graham trade, I wholly agree. The 'Hawks have done a great job managing their cap space, and with rare exception (I actually can't think of one), they've done it by not giving enormous contracts to aging free agents. I can't imagine the price for Andre Johnson will approach a level where the Seahawks could sign him and still pay Wilson and Wagner.

I've been wrong on this before, mind you.

Latest posts