Seahawks out of hunt for Andre Johnson (Signed w/ Colts)

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Hawks could sign him to a one year incentive-laden deal ~$6M. And if he doesn't work out they don't have to worry about him wasting cap space next year.

ErikG803

Reaction score
Really hoping to wake up tomorrow and read that AJ is on his way to Seattle :th2thumbs:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
JTB":1c4ob7is said:
I hope he signs with Indy as he's really regressed as a receiver. Rather get a younger receiver in the next wave of FA or better yet the draft.
That's exactly why I was content with the Graham signing.
I have my doubts that AJ will want to play for a run first Offense, and everybody knows that Luck and the Colts are going to stay the course with their Pass Happy mantra.
I'd be shocked as hell if AJ decided to come to Seattle for anything other than to play against the Seahawks.

original poster

Reaction score
Can't see it happening at all personally.

Although JS did say in an interview yesterday they are "far from done" or words to that effect.

titan3131

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2rylgwfu said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/575664809447985152[/tweet]

Im cool with this. Always compete. It applies to JS and PC too!

Laloosh

Reaction score
At this point, I wouldn't be shocked by anything. Though I do believe we're more likely to acquire top-flight guys via trade rather than FA when it comes to WR / TE. Guys don't want to go play for a team that will actually throw to them less.

Just my opinion but that's how I see it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":6f4q8v3e said:
I hope he signs with Indy as he's really regressed as a receiver. Rather get a younger receiver in the next wave of FA or better yet the draft.

I think the opposite, I still think Johnson has a lot left in the tank.

Remember who he's had throwing to him his entire career................nobody. Yet he still has averaged 100 balls over the past three years.

Is Johnson worth breaking the bank for? Hell no, but regressed? No.

kidhawk

Reaction score
original poster":34jw55ue said:
Can't see it happening at all personally.

Although JS did say in an interview yesterday they are "far from done" or words to that effect.

I believe him too, because he's proven it time and time again. He's ALWAYS far from done. Even during week 12 of the season, he's looking at players that could possibly help the team in some capacity down the line. This front office will do whatever they think they need to so we field a top notch team.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
jake206":35ex6q6n said:
Honestly don't hope we sign him. He looks like he's about to get injured this season.

You can see that from where you are? These Google Glass apps keep getting better and better. The device of the future!

naholmes

Reaction score
I was all in favor of signing Andre Johnson but now the Hawks no longer need him. Plus, with 8 teams vying for his services, his price will likely be too steep. I feel like they are better off adding some younger and cheaper WRs. Perhaps they could sign Andre Holmes away from Oakland and then add another in the draft.

jblaze

Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about this. He's a great receiver but he's also pretty old. I think of Anquan Boldin when I think of him.

Personally I'd like to see us go out and get Kenn Britt. Younger, bigger, faster and less money for sure. He'd be our big WR opposite of Graham. Imagine RW/Lynch zone read play action with Graham on one side with Britt on the other with Baldwin in the slot. Seems like some good options on a play like that with the defense not able to cheat in any one place.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Honest question. How would Johnson compliment Graham. Does he still have the speed to take the top off or is he now more of a big possession guy who can run elite level, mid-depth routes.

Would we be better with a guy who has the speed to keep the DB's honest? I do think that Richardson is that guy, but who knows when he will be back and what his speed will be like.

Now a receiving corp of Graham, Johnson, and Richardson gets me pretty excited.

- bsd

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1bmva63s said:
Honest question. How would Johnson compliment Graham. Does he still have the speed to take the top off or is he now more of a big possession guy who can run elite level, mid-depth routes.

Would we be better with a guy who has the speed to keep the DB's honest? I do think that Richardson is that guy, but who knows when he will be back and what his speed will be like.

- bsd

I would pretty much just describe him as solid. At this point in his career he is basically Kearse, except with better routes and a LOT less drops. Which in my opinion would be worth paying him some $$ for. He doesn't have the top end speed he used to have, but then again neither does Kearse, or Rice (towards the end).

"Keeping DB's honest" can mean a lot of different things. Some DB's are speedsters, so having someone who can blaze a 4.33 40 on the outside might not necessarily have the desired effect every time. Sometimes having a WR that runs solid routes and catches the ball pretty much every time is more than enough to keep the DB honest.

naholmes

Reaction score
NO stay away from Kenny Britt! He may only be 26 but his been in the league 6 seasons and had a major injury a few years back that he never fully recovered from. He's also a notorious knucklehead and although he kept quiet for 1 season in St Louis I wouldn't sign him to a multi year deal.

Hyak

Reaction score
Hopkins clearly was their #1 WR last year and it's telling to me than Houston let AJ go when they have really nobody besides Hopkins at WR. On top of that, 33/34 year old skill position players are rarely productive. It's a young man's game.

I could be dead wrong but I doubt it. Father time is undefeated.

Hyak

Reaction score
naholmes":kievveux said:
NO stay away from Kenny Britt! He may only be 26 but his been in the league 6 seasons and had a major injury a few years back that he never fully recovered from. He's also a notorious knucklehead and although he kept quiet for 1 season in St Louis I wouldn't sign him to a multi year deal.

:13: Britt is a train wreck. He's less reliable catching the ball than Kearse is PLUS he's an idiot off the field.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2zmymodf said:

- bsd

He isn't a take the top off candidate. Although honestly, that wasn't his biggest value before either.

I'd say they are very complimentary. Particularly in 2 areas Seattle has struggled with:

1. Red zone mismatch. AJ is still every bit the red zone mismatch that he's always been. His ability to catch contested balls, go get high throws and physically create space in a confined area are still undiminished. Having 2 such targets in the red zone, and inside the 5 yard line is basically forcing defenses to double one of either Lynch, Graham or Johnson. When you can create guys who duplicate features of high value like that -- you can much more easily dictate the mismatches.

2. Third down conversions. Graham's ability to run curls/digs/outs and seam routes is impressive. Johnson similarly has those skills. Your route combinations you can employ to get the hard 5-10 yard completion for a conversion is greatly enhanced. Seattle didn't have a burner to take the tops off defenses and yet we led the league in explosive plays. That advantage is driven by Lynch. Johnson should have little trouble forcing defenses to pay when they focus on Lynch or Graham.

Seattle's issues haven't been taking the tops off defenses. It's been getting guys open to move the chains and continue operating their offense as it's currently constructed. Seattle will use play action to attack vertically. You don't need a 4.3 kind of burner to achieve the effect of attacking downfield with passes.

Latest posts