Seahawks possibly moving back to AFC?

RiverDog

Reaction score
kearly":1dx8od1v said:
volsunghawk":1dx8od1v said:
chris98251":1dx8od1v said:
It will never happen, Denver,Oakland,Kansas City, and San Diego all original teams in the AFC and in the West, they moved us due to that in the first place and won't change it now.
Exactly this.

If they move the Raiders AND the Chargers to LA, they will definitely move one of them to the NFC. The NFL has always preferred to avoid having two teams coming from the same city in the same conference.

That's true. It allows for the maximum number of teams visiting the same market in a given season. It's better for the local Chamber of Commerce. And as a local fan, you would have the opportunity to see a wider variety of teams. More chances to see Peyton Manning.

But if anyone gets rousted out of the NFC West, it would be the Cards. I could see them changing dance partners with the Raiders should two teams end up in LA. It would adhere to a north/south alignment, put all of the NFC West in the same time zone, and put the only two teams in the MTZ in the same division. It makes more sense for scheduling than any other configuration.

RiverDog

Reaction score
chris98251":9uxsl3i6 said:
If Mark Davis said that Al is waking in his grave and doing his Best Mummy impression, I don't beleive Mark would crap on his dad like that, Al was a commisioner of the AFL and was the main instigator for merger becasue he and the Jets were actually going after and paying players that the NFL wanted.

If it is said then it's a leverage push to get something done.

That's not true. Al Davis did not want a merger, at least not under the terms that were accepted. It was Lamar Hunt and Tex Schramm, negotiating in secret before Davis was even elected as AFL Commissioner, that were the principal instigators of the merger that was eventually accepted. Davis wanted to keep fighting, felt that the AFL had the NFL whipped and could dictate terms much more favorable to the AFL. Lamar Hunt went around Davis, something that always infuriated Davis, and perhaps set the tone for his maverick style leadership of the Raiders in the decades that followed.

The main reason the NFL came to grips with the AFL was that after Davis was elected commissioner and after the NFL fired the first shot by signing an AFL free agent (prior to that, an unwritten truce was in effect), the AFL started signing a slew of top NFL free agents, in particular a number of LA Rams stars, the team that Pete Rozelle cut his teeth with.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":137oc0xx said:
Win a Super Bowl in each conference. Pretty cool. And get back our age old rivalries? I could dig that.
I wouldn't I have never liked the AFC and no way they do some massive reconfiguration of the AFC West or NFC East money and tradition trump all and we have more of that in the NFC West then the AFC West. San Francisco actually has a long-term rival now the first since the 1960's Rams to be honest.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Honestly I never liked us in the AFC,we didn't start there ..We belong where we are period...NO to AFC.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RiverDog":1hhkg06j said:
chris98251":1hhkg06j said:
If Mark Davis said that Al is waking in his grave and doing his Best Mummy impression, I don't beleive Mark would crap on his dad like that, Al was a commisioner of the AFL and was the main instigator for merger becasue he and the Jets were actually going after and paying players that the NFL wanted.

If it is said then it's a leverage push to get something done.

That's not true. Al Davis did not want a merger, at least not under the terms that were accepted. It was Lamar Hunt and Tex Schramm, negotiating in secret before Davis was even elected as AFL Commissioner, that were the principal instigators of the merger that was eventually accepted. Davis wanted to keep fighting, felt that the AFL had the NFL whipped and could dictate terms much more favorable to the AFL. Lamar Hunt went around Davis, something that always infuriated Davis, and perhaps set the tone for his maverick style leadership of the Raiders in the decades that followed.

The main reason the NFL came to grips with the AFL was that after Davis was elected commissioner and after the NFL fired the first shot by signing an AFL free agent (prior to that, an unwritten truce was in effect), the AFL started signing a slew of top NFL free agents, in particular a number of LA Rams stars, the team that Pete Rozelle cut his teeth with.
This is correct. Al was not at all in favor of a merger for the reasons you mentioned. NFLN had a REALLY good 5 part series on the AFL this past summer and this was talked about in length. Good post River.

On a personal note, I do not want the Hawks back in the AFC West because as an old AFL fan, the Chargers, Raiders and Chiefs were the teams I grew up rooting for (hated the Donkeys even back then) and it's far easier to still root for them with my Hawks in the NFC.

HansGruber

Reaction score
pmedic920":1r1fxks3 said:
I'm not sure about the possibility of this happening but I always loved the Hawks/ Raider thing.
My dad is a die hard Raiders fan.
Wouldn't mind keeping the Donks from winning the Div. every year either.
That's uncanny, same here. My dad's been a Raiders fan since the team began back in the 60's.

That used to be a great rivalry. I miss going to games in the colosseum and rooting on the Seahawks. Even my dad felt that the raiders never really "belonged" at that poco dump in Oakland and they just don't really fit in the bay area at all. Raiders are definitely an LA team, that's where they belong, and they were wildly popular there unlike what most people falsely believe.

chris98251

Reaction score
I said instigator, not supporter, Davis was making the product viable and competitive.