Seahawks reportedly make huge contract offer to Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":9aivsx5v said:
So the media and the fans are just going to forget about his contact status because Wilson says the talks are over because he doesn't want it to cause a distraction . Ya right.

I'd guess you are assuming that I have a problem with the way his contract negotiations are going.
I don't.
I'm all for him getting all he can get.
I just don't want it to hurt the team. I'm looking at him tabling the talks as a positive thing.
Like I said "if" the reason is that he doesn't want it to be a distraction, he gets props from me.
Wasn't that long ago that Seahawk fans had worse stuff than this to worry about. With that in mind, I refuse to worry about #3's salary. I have more faith in this FO than ANY in our history.
As much as I hate the thought of losing "our guy" if they let him walk over money, I'd believe that it was for the best of the team and be ok with it.
The Seahawks recent success has been a team effort and not because of one star player. PC&JS put that team together and my trust is in them, not any one guy.
If the media and bulk of the fans want to be bitter over RW trying to get all he can that is their choice. My choice is to not be like that.
I look at RW as a workman with good work ethics, if he's cleaning up the area so that he can get to work, kudos to him.
I couldn't care less who agrees with me, that's how I look at the issue.
See my sig, I'm not letting this BS take any of that away from me.
You don't have to forget about something you don't let get burned into your memory.

ptisme

Reaction score
BlueTalon":17yne3gp said:
ptisme":17yne3gp said:
BTW, Rodgers stats first three years as a starter blow Wilson's out of the water.
Rodgers' first three years as a starter followed a four year apprenticeship. And it really doesn't matter which of his stats are better than Wilson's, because Wilson's stats are better in the only category that matters -- wins.
Except that it's a team game.... Trent Dilfer "won" a SB... He had a team around him... Flacco....

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2jpac3jm said:
scutterhawk":2jpac3jm said:
Hawkpower":2jpac3jm said:
My statement isnt pointless because:

A. The original statement was that Wilson was better than Rodgers because he has better rushing numbers, which is beyond ridiculous.

You're right on one part of your Statement, it isn't pointless....It's absurd.
You are ATTEMPTING to diminish that one advantage that Russell Wilson has over Aaron Rodgers, and that is his ability to scramble for nearly 900 Yards last Season.
This is a huge attribute to Wilson's Quarterback play, and NOT a detriment to be able to scramble like that when sometimes that "DARN" O-Line caves in and allows a Defender come through UNTOUCHED.
It's an ADDED feature that puts him right up there with the greats.
It's his Passing ---> AND <--- Running that makes him one of the BEST........ not Passing,---> OR <--- Running.

It appears as if this response was somewhat aimed at my post....although to be honest I am a bit confused as to your point....

I was addressing the argument someone made (maybe it was you, I have no idea) that Wilson was better than Rodgers based solely on his running ability.

I said that was absurd. Which it is.

I never said scrambling wasnt a nice attribute to have, but if I have to chose passing accuracy and reading defenses OR scrambling ability, I know which one I value more in a QB.

To argue otherwise is just arguing for the sake of it.
AGAIN, it's NOT either OR, it's his Running, AND passing, I never said, nor did I even imply that Wilson was better, "based solely" on his running ability
You are again trying to divide his attributes.
Rodgers has had top tier Receivers since his first snap in GB.
BUT on the plus side for Wilson, he is a good passer, that just happens to be able to run for some really good numbers in the boot.
No argument here...Good Passer + Good Runner---Tom Cables Run Blocking system = Russell Wilson --> Perfect fit.
Two Super Bowl Appearances in a row? Yep, Perfect Fit, and a damned good Quarterback.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":au5b2xt2 said:
Northwest Seahawk":au5b2xt2 said:
So the media and the fans are just going to forget about his contact status because Wilson says the talks are over because he doesn't want it to cause a distraction . Ya right.

I'd guess you are assuming that I have a problem with the way his contract negotiations are going.
I don't.
I'm all for him getting all he can get.
I just don't want it to hurt the team. I'm looking at him tabling the talks as a positive thing.
Like I said "if" the reason is that he doesn't want it to be a distraction, he gets props from me.
Wasn't that long ago that Seahawk fans had worse stuff than this to worry about. With that in mind, I refuse to worry about #3's salary. I have more faith in this FO than ANY in our history.
As much as I hate the thought of losing "our guy" if they let him walk over money, I'd believe that it was for the best of the team and be ok with it.
The Seahawks recent success has been a team effort and not because of one star player. PC&JS put that team together and my trust is in them, not any one guy.
If the media and bulk of the fans want to be bitter over RW trying to get all he can that is their choice. My choice is to not be like that.
I look at RW as a workman with good work ethics, if he's cleaning up the area so that he can get to work, kudos to him.
I couldn't care less who agrees with me, that's how I look at the issue.
See my sig, I'm not letting this BS take any of that away from me.
You don't have to forget about something you don't let get burned into your memory.

He's trying to minimize the fallout if he doesn't sign and that's good an all but there will be fallout from that decision. Hopefully it only lasts a few weeks but in will be a topic all year and that sucks.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
kearly":4zgfvxp5 said:
Assuming the offer is in 'new money', the Seahawks offer is still too low. Wilson is not going to settle for Kaep/Newton money, nor should he.

I would be surprised if Wilson signs a deal this week. Whatever he is offered today, he will be offered significantly more a year from now. Given how much Wilson's value will jump after a year with Jimmy Graham and Luck setting the market with his upcoming megadeal, I'm not sure Wilson would even accept Aaron Rodgers type money at this point.

Well Kearly he will have to play for 1.5 this year then and face a possible franchise tag next year. That's not a win for Wilson .

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson has to cash in now, the odds are against him maintaining his speed and elusiveness to run for yards more then the length of his next contract. He may become a great roll out pocket passer but not a rusher. Once that threat is reduced he will need a good offensive line to stay on top and good receivers and a running game.

He may cash in now but in the future I see restructures a plenty.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":39xiykt6 said:
kearly":39xiykt6 said:
Assuming the offer is in 'new money', the Seahawks offer is still too low. Wilson is not going to settle for Kaep/Newton money, nor should he.

I would be surprised if Wilson signs a deal this week. Whatever he is offered today, he will be offered significantly more a year from now. Given how much Wilson's value will jump after a year with Jimmy Graham and Luck setting the market with his upcoming megadeal, I'm not sure Wilson would even accept Aaron Rodgers type money at this point.

Well Kearly he will have to play for 1.5 this year then and face a possible franchise tag next year. That's not a win for Wilson .

How would that not be a win for him? The 1.5M salary is locked in. Wilson would get 25M guaranteed with the franchise tag.. and that doesn't take away from additional guaranteed money in a long term deal if he played the entire 2016 season on his tender.

This is why I laugh at those who say Wilson doesn't have any leverage in this... he has a ton.. and he's using it.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawkfannj":3qgybsbs said:
Hawkfan77":3qgybsbs said:
hawkfannj":3qgybsbs said:
Northwest Seahawk":3qgybsbs said:
Wilson's not going anywhere people he's under contract and if he plays well again this year he will be franchised next year if he doesn't sign it's that simple. Is it possible that Wilson and Seattle have a falling out if he doesn't sign before the start of the regular season , yes anything is possible he could get hurt he could have a down year or he could play great and make more money but there's far more risk on Wilson's side that's why the consensus is he will sign .
Our perfect scenario is that he plays out his rookie contract! And with the addition of Jimmy Graham there is zero I mean Nada not an inkling of an excuse that we don't have a wide receiver even though he is a tight end .Drew Brees gets him the ball quite often. And the way he wants to get paid he is saying he is better so I'd like to see that and am willing to roll the dice . Because if he sucks it up we going to get a great discount and he plays awesome he is worth the money. but as it stands right now he's not worth that kind of money to run around the broken plays aka backyard football
Why would he "suck it up"? You may not like him, but he's never been anything but an efficient QB in this league in his 3 years here
yes the key word is efficient . Not top paid player of all time . I never said I didn't like him I think he is a very good leader even great . But I'm not blinded by rose colored glasses either and think we overrate him a bit.
Yes though of us who realize his value to the team are just homers with rose colored glasses :roll:

Try looking at some in depth stats, not just passing yards

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Our perfect scenario is that he plays out his rookie contract! And with the addition of Jimmy Graham there is zero I mean Nada not an inkling of an excuse that we don't have a wide receiver even though he is a tight end .Drew Brees gets him the ball quite often. And the way he wants to get paid he is saying he is better so I'd like to see that and am willing to roll the dice . Because if he sucks it up we going to get a great discount and he plays awesome he is worth the money. but as it stands right now he's not worth that kind of money to run around the broken plays aka backyard football[/quote]
Why would he "suck it up"? You may not like him, but he's never been anything but an efficient QB in this league in his 3 years here[/quote]
yes the key word is efficient . Not top paid player of all time . I never said I didn't like him I think he is a very good leader even great . But I'm not blinded by rose colored glasses either and think we overrate him a bit.[/quote]
Yes though of us who realize his value to the team are just homers with rose colored glasses :roll:

Try looking at some in depth stats, not just passing yards[/quote]

Those in depth stats really don't mean a whole lot. In order to evaluate RW you need to look at the coaches tapes.

I think the Seahawks and a lot of other coaches around the league have looked at that tape.

They do not rank RW inside the top QB's. He is somewhere from 5-12 and that is how he should be paid.

the ditch

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1k73poeo said:
Northwest Seahawk":1k73poeo said:
kearly":1k73poeo said:

How would that not be a win for him? The 1.5M salary is locked in. Wilson would get 25M guaranteed with the franchise tag.. and that doesn't take away from additional guaranteed money in a long term deal if he played the entire 2016 season on his tender.

This is why I laugh at those who say Wilson doesn't have any leverage in this... he has a ton.. and he's using it.

Because he would get a signing bonus probably between 10-20 million for this season, so if he doesn't sign then he's out 8.5-18.5 million (he will get 1.5 mill this season) which he would have to make up through the rest of his career, and if he got injured during his franchise tag year he would lose most of it.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Which is why he got insurance to cover him for this season and why he's holding out for guaranteed money. He's not stupid.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3s6wbprf said:
ptisme":3s6wbprf said:
BTW, Rodgers stats first three years as a starter blow Wilson's out of the water.
Rodgers' first three years as a starter followed a four year apprenticeship. And it really doesn't matter which of his stats are better than Wilson's, because Wilson's stats are better in the only category that matters -- wins.

He actually started his 4th year in the league but yes he got to sit behind favre for 3 years. So...sitting and learning the nfl game for 3 years behind a HOF QB compared to Wilson who didnt even get first team reps who wasnt even supposed to start but then being thrown to the wolves. Packers went 6-10 his first year and he had 28TD/13INT. He didnt really explode until his 4th year starting when he had 45TD/6INT which was his 7th year in the league. Prior to that his highest TD total was 30 and he had 28 twice

Narniaman

Reaction score
the ditch":3i1eorrn said:
Because he would get a signing bonus probably between 10-20 million for this season, so if he doesn't sign then he's out 8.5-18.5 million (he will get 1.5 mill this season) which he would have to make up through the rest of his career, and if he got injured during his franchise tag year he would lose most of it.

Uh, to borrow from Inigo Montoya, I don't think the contract negotiations are about what you think they are about.

The Seattle Seahawks have more or less announced that come hell or high water, Russell Wilson will play out his rookie contract and be compensated at a rate of $1.5 million for this year, his year four. . . no ifs, ands, or buts.

The negotiations are about a contract for years after this year. . .his years five (2016), six (2017), seven (2018), eight (2019), and possibly nine (2020).

Now it is possible and probably likely that he would get a signing bonus -- but that bonus comes out of the salary he would receive in the years following this year. In other words, if he signed a four year contract at $20 million dollars a year. . . and got a $20 million dollar sign bonus, the amount of money he would receive this year is $20 million + $1.5 million = $21.5 million dollars. That would leave $60 million dollars that would be parceled out over the following four years -- perhaps in $15 million dollars/year increments.

Now what happens if Russell waits a year and signs the same contract, with the same bonus? Next year the amount of money he would receive would be the $20 million dollar bonus. . .plus the normal yearly salary of $15 million dollars, for a total of $35 million dollars; after that he would receive $45 million dollars over three years.

Now this is ignoring any guarantees/performance requirements, which are a separate discussion.

But the thing is. . . the only financial drawback for Russell Wilson not signing now is he would lose the use of the bonus money for however long it is until he signs. Assuming a bonus of $20 million, and a effective tax rate of 40% (state and Federal), than we're talking about the use of $12 million dollars. If he signed a contract after this season -- say next February, as opposed to signing a contract now, he would forego the amount of money he could earn in interest. Just for argument sake, let's say he took that $12 million and put it in a "high yield" six month CD. Today's APY for a high interest CD is. . .0.85%. That means he would earn 12 million x 0.425% (only six months) = $51,000.

So. . . this year, at a salary of $1.5 million dollars, he's getting $93,750 a game. Signing a contract now as opposed to next year will bring him. . . .about as much money as he earns in a half!

StoneCold

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":qdwsf0j3 said:
Northwest Seahawk":qdwsf0j3 said:
kearly":qdwsf0j3 said:

This has to be the most misunderstood aspect of these negotiations. He's playing for 1.5 this year no matter what.

SC

JimmyG

Reaction score
StoneCold":207ysfs9 said:
This has to be the most misunderstood aspect of these negotiations. He's playing for 1.5 this year no matter what.
No, that's not true. Let's say he agrees to a 4-year, $84M extension. What Seattle would likely do is tear up the last year of his rookie deal. In essence, it would become a 5-year, $84M contract (but still technically only a four year extension). Now, instead of paying Wilson an average of $21M a year, you're instead paying him $16.5M a year. Wilson would get the signing bonus up front, and he'd likely get a small raise this season (nowhere near $16-21M a year, but likely higher than $1.5M). This is why it behooves us to get a deal done now.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
StoneCold":3gggouhm said:
Hasselbeck":3gggouhm said:
Northwest Seahawk":3gggouhm said:
kearly":3gggouhm said:

SC
It isn't "no matter what".

Seattle can certainly increase his salary this year if they wish. I believe doing so is in their best interest to getting a deal done at this time. It actually gives RW incentive to sign a deal at this time because then it is in fact lost money if he doesn't sign.

StoneCold

Reaction score
JimmyG":1htgg87b said:
StoneCold":1htgg87b said:
No, that's not true. Let's say he agrees to a 4-year, $84M extension. What Seattle would likely do is tear up the last year of his rookie deal. In essence, it would become a 5-year, $84M contract (but still technically only a four year extension). Now, instead of paying Wilson an average of $21M a year, you're instead paying him $16.5M a year. Wilson would get the signing bonus up front, and he'd likely get a small raise this season (nowhere near $16-21M a year, but likely higher than $1.5M). This is why it behooves us to get a deal done now.

It may behoove us, but it doesn't give any extra hooves to RW. The front office has said it won't renegotiate the final year, though they could do something alla Lynch and increase incentives. I'm not certain how that affects the cap.

SC

kearly

Reaction score
vonstout":w1p16rti said:
This article explains how he would lose money if he plays out his contract and signed a "Cam" contract next year:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-note ... of-thrones

The only way he signs a Cam deal next year is if Wilson's stock tanks in 2015.

That article was a masterwork of wishful thinking. His glasses have become opaque from all the rose coloring in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts