Seahawks sign DT Kevin Williams to one-year deal

HawkWow

Reaction score
1st text back from Viking fan (and I quote):

"got vet to have hasn't been the same since steroids". WTH?

Typical Viking fan. LOL.

Edit: came back with "Good vet to have"....then said "he is a great player to have and can still dominate the inside".

Waiting for more.....

seanutz

Reaction score
Very nice pick up to. He will be great in the rotation.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I love this move. The guy could still play, at least last year. Could be a superb rotational guy.

kearly

Reaction score
Jackson, Rice, Winfield, and now Williams were all guys who spurned competitive offers from the Vikings to come to Seattle. And when Harvin, a controversial but beloved player declared that he was done as a Viking, it was Seattle that benefited. Though the compensation for Minny was so generous that they wouldn't and shouldn't complain about it.

Still, that's a lot of players spurning you, all from just one team. It's definitely gotten to them. I read a few Vikings fan sites when this happens and they react every single time we sign one of their guys. It is priceless.

And even though the Seahawks acquired Farwell after the Vikings cut him to save money, his name is still thrown in there by Vikes fans when this topic comes up. The Vikings may have let him go, but a lot of fans liked his play and hated the move.

The one guy you never hear them complain about us taking? Bevell. But I guess that's not really too surprising.

drdiags

Reaction score
I can see signing him to cover yourself with the young DTs coming off injury and mostly unproven. I would not be surprised though if he ends up like Winfield last year. Depends on what he has left in the tank and how the DTs look in camp.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
HawkWow":slhoqnoo said:
kearly":slhoqnoo said:
Seattle continues to be Valhalla for former Vikings stars. Too bad we didn't get Jared Allen too, getting revenge for Hutch never gets old.

Not to be argumentative Kearly, but to date, I've seen nothing even remotely close to revenge. Bevell, and to a lesser degree Nate, would be the closest to that (at least as of this writing). Vike fans seem pretty jubilant about the Harvin deal. At least for now.

Williams is a leader. With us having a bunch of raw talent at the position, his experience alone is worth the 2 mil., IMO.

Texting Vike fans now.

Vikings fans are delusional. They say they love the deal because it softens the blow. Classic NFL fan psych job.

I doubt they loved watching Harvin ice the Super Bowl with a kick return TD lol.

As for Williams, I like it.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Again not to be argumentative, but I think they love the deal because they love the deal. Yes Harvin is promising, but their replacement went to the pro-bowl...on our dime. Not telling anyone, anything they don't already know...just sayin'....because hell yes, I'm still bitter with that franchise. lol.

New text from different Vike fan (after I asked about the knee): "Williams had the same surgeon as AP, don't worry much about the knee". Also said "he will give his all and wants to be a champion".

Then he's come to the right place. ; )

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Some quotes from WIlliams posted a couple days ago.

"My main criteria has really been having a chance to win and playing with a proven quarterback," Williams said, when asked if there is a certain level of contract he'd be willing to accept. "Those things are huge when you get older, you want to have that chance to get in the dance and just be there to have a chance at the end of the season. You don't want to take that beating all year to just go home for another offseason. ...The game in the trenches is tough enough as it is, and to not be playing for something at the end is tough at this point."

"I think I still have some juice in the tank and to be in a nice rotation, it would maximize both for me and whatever team I'm with to both get the best from it," he explained.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-engl ... pats-visit

warden

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1846dagv said:
He's the guy was hit by a cheapshot in the preseason from the 49ers Joe Looney. He was blindsided at the knees.

He will fit right in, he should hate the whiners

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":2g09jsg3 said:
Seattle continues to be Valhalla for former Vikings stars. Too bad we didn't get Jared Allen too, getting revenge for Hutch never gets old.

I'm sorry, all the guys we brought over from Minnesota aren't comparable to a HOF guard in his prime, that they were able to pluck away without giving any draft compensation. And our attempt at "revenge" was signing Nate Burleson from them, who while he was a decent player, was never anything near Hutch. Our revenge wasn't trading 3 picks for Percy Harvin when two regimes had come and gone from both sides since the Hutch deal took place, nor is it signing a veteran DT that may have a year or two left at the most, nor was it signing a veteran DB that wound up retiring, etc etc.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":ivup4py5 said:
The one guy you never hear them complain about us taking? Bevell. But I guess that's not really too surprising.

I still love that we can tell Vikings fans that Bevell is a Super Bowl winning Offensive Coordinator who developed our Franchise QB...and they let him go.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1wg4dxm5 said:
Can he still play?

He played over 700 snaps last season. He still has gas in the tank and like Hawkwow said, I like this move just for mentoring the younger DL guys.

He'll be in a rotation, which should keep him fresh and more impactful. This move is a win no matter how you slice it.

HawkWow

Reaction score
After seeing Pete a bit more over the past couple years, I've backed off on my jabs at Bevell. Pete is probably an OC's biggest nightmare. Especially an OC with a desire for creativity (not saying that's Bevell). Hard to really say what Bevell is capable of when Pete is so committed, and thankfully so, to a relatively vanilla offense and having lost so many key players on offense last year. Tough spot for Bevell to shine, though I do have a hunch he is going to get his chance this upcoming year...now that there is zero question about what we have @ QB and WR (in particular). .

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
I like the move. As some have said, it's just a little bit of insurance for the young guys, especially with their injuries last year. Also, Williams is saying all the right things, so he should fit in the rotation and in the locker room.

kearly

Reaction score
Some people are taking the Hutch comment way too seriously. Different regimes, ancient history... in no way relevant to today. That said, it's fun to think about how the tables have turned so much since that terrible moment, that Vikings fans feel like victims now with Seattle playing the poacher over and over again.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
This is a good move and I predicted as much that Kevin Williams would be a quality signing. But first and foremost as with Winfield, he has to make it out of training camp and compete, compete, compete in the pre-season. So, even if K-Dubs fails to make the roster in which he might , he's still a veteran presence the young players can look up to and learn from and he also maximizes the competition, which is all positive.

However if he does make the roster it will be interesting to see where they play him at.

1. Does he continue to be a NT and backup Mebane moving Jordan Hill into Clinton McDonald's role?

2. Does he go back to being a 3T, allowing Tony McDaniel to go to 5T?

3. Does he take over Clinton McDonald's role has a situational inside pass-rusher?

4. Or is he insurance just in case Scruggs/Williams/Hill etc have injury setbacks or fail to meet expectations?

All in all whether Kevin Williams makes the team is a question mark but he'll have a positive influence and his presence definately makes the team better than it was without him. Good signing. If he goes all out for a Championship, he'll be a force to be reckon with.

kearly

Reaction score
HawkWow":28agqkg4 said:
After seeing Pete a bit more over the past couple years, I've backed off on my jabs at Bevell. Pete is probably an OC's biggest nightmare. Especially an OC with a desire for creativity (not saying that's Bevell). Hard to really say what Bevell is capable of when Pete is so committed, and thankfully so, to a relatively vanilla offense and having lost so many key players on offense last year. Tough spot for Bevell to shine, though I do have a hunch he is going to get his chance this upcoming year...now that there is zero question about what we have @ QB and WR (in particular). .

This is all true. On the other hand, for as much as we correctly label the defense as "Pete's defense" and similarly with the offense, there was a very noticeable improvement both statistically and schematically when Quinn replaced Bradley. The use of coverage changed dramatically for the better, as did the creativity in the pass rush. Quinn had slightly better players to work with, but I think a huge part of the improvement came from simple coaching alterations.

In the same way, I see Bevell wait weeks to fix basic schematic problems in the offense and I just cannot find that acceptable. When the train is on the tracks Bevell does a fine job, but when problems pop up he is quite possibly the worst problem solver in the league. I'm okay with the vanilla philosophy, but when a defense sells out to stop plan A, he never really seems to have a plan B. And against elite defenses that know our offense well, it's been a big problem.

kearly

Reaction score
Former Vikings DT Kevin WiIlliams Signs With Seattle Because Of Course He Does

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/6/12/ ... th-seattle

Because where else would he sign? Seriously, damn near every former Viking player, at some point, becaomse a Seahawk, I think. Although there had been talk in recent days of Williams returning to Minnesota, the Seahawks opted to execute the 'Former Vikings Must Sign With Seattle' clause, which is written somewhere in the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement. I think. Maybe. Maybe Not. Probably not. Okay, not.

Still seems like it's in there, though.

The reactions in the comments are pretty good.

Interesting fact I didn't know, Williams was the player selected that put an end to one of the more infamous moments in NFL draft history, when the Vikings waited too long to hand in their card and several teams jumped ahead of them to make picks in early first round of the 2003 draft.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
This is great.

We get the first bit of bad news pretty much all off season with the Lynch contract situation, and literally a few hours later we get right back to positive news with Kevin Williams being brought in.