Seahawks sign DT Kevin Williams to one-year deal

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":3e8kvsl7 said:
HawkWow":3e8kvsl7 said:
After seeing Pete a bit more over the past couple years, I've backed off on my jabs at Bevell. Pete is probably an OC's biggest nightmare. Especially an OC with a desire for creativity (not saying that's Bevell). Hard to really say what Bevell is capable of when Pete is so committed, and thankfully so, to a relatively vanilla offense and having lost so many key players on offense last year. Tough spot for Bevell to shine, though I do have a hunch he is going to get his chance this upcoming year...now that there is zero question about what we have @ QB and WR (in particular). .

This is all true. On the other hand, for as much as we correctly label the defense as "Pete's defense" and similarly with the offense, there was a very noticeable improvement both statistically and schematically when Quinn replaced Bradley. The use of coverage changed dramatically for the better, as did the creativity in the pass rush. Quinn had slightly better players to work with, but I think a huge part of the improvement came from simple coaching alterations.

In the same way, I see Bevell wait weeks to fix basic schematic problems in the offense and I just cannot find that acceptable. When the train is on the tracks Bevell does a fine job, but when problems pop up he is quite possibly the worst problem solver in the league. I'm okay with the vanilla philosophy, but when a defense sells out to stop plan A, he never really seems to have a plan B. And against elite defenses that know our offense well, it's been a big problem.

Excellent points. You know the Xs and Os and the nuances of the game far better than I. Which in itself is a good reason for me to knock Bevell.

As for the Viking hate thing...you are probably correct, some of us do take the Hutch thing pretty seriously. I know I do. But in the end, we have the ring (!). Hutch and his a-hole Viking girlfriends do not.

Which makes me wonder this: Will Hutch go into the hall a Hawk...and would we actually want him to? As pissed as I am with the Vikes, I am equally pissed with Hutch...if not more so.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Recon_Hawk":qe9ngb11 said:
Some quotes from WIlliams posted a couple days ago.

"My main criteria has really been having a chance to win and playing with a proven quarterback," Williams said, when asked if there is a certain level of contract he'd be willing to accept. "Those things are huge when you get older, you want to have that chance to get in the dance and just be there to have a chance at the end of the season. You don't want to take that beating all year to just go home for another offseason. ...The game in the trenches is tough enough as it is, and to not be playing for something at the end is tough at this point."

"I think I still have some juice in the tank and to be in a nice rotation, it would maximize both for me and whatever team I'm with to both get the best from it," he explained.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-engl ... pats-visit

Translation: "I want to win a Super Bowl."

Also, he reportedly turned down offers from New England, New York Giants, and Minnesota to sign with us. Wow what a difference from past Seahawks regimes.

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":v5ya2qur said:
Former Vikings DT Kevin WiIlliams Signs With Seattle Because Of Course He Does

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/6/12/ ... th-seattle

Because where else would he sign? Seriously, damn near every former Viking player, at some point, becaomse a Seahawk, I think. Although there had been talk in recent days of Williams returning to Minnesota, the Seahawks opted to execute the 'Former Vikings Must Sign With Seattle' clause, which is written somewhere in the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement. I think. Maybe. Maybe Not. Probably not. Okay, not.

Still seems like it's in there, though.

The reactions in the comments are pretty good.

Interesting fact I didn't know, Williams was the player selected that put an end to one of the more infamous moments in NFL draft history, when the Vikings waited too long to hand in their card and several teams jumped ahead of them to make picks in early first round of the 2003 draft.

Wasn't it our very own Mike "the tool" Tice that dropped that ball?

IIRC, I believe something similar happened the very next year, too. Too much time spent boozin' and cruisin' on the love boat?

chris98251

Reaction score
Until something comes from Lynchs camp I consider it smoke, this team doesn't discuss contracts in the media being the first alert.

Williams will be a Monster, playing in a rotation and lining up in a couple spots will keep him fresh, being able to ruin the 49ers season after getting hurt playing them bonus.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2b0o4vta said:
Recon_Hawk":2b0o4vta said:
Some quotes from WIlliams posted a couple days ago.

"My main criteria has really been having a chance to win and playing with a proven quarterback," Williams said, when asked if there is a certain level of contract he'd be willing to accept. "Those things are huge when you get older, you want to have that chance to get in the dance and just be there to have a chance at the end of the season. You don't want to take that beating all year to just go home for another offseason. ...The game in the trenches is tough enough as it is, and to not be playing for something at the end is tough at this point."

"I think I still have some juice in the tank and to be in a nice rotation, it would maximize both for me and whatever team I'm with to both get the best from it," he explained.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-engl ... pats-visit

Translation: "I want to win a Super Bowl."

Also, he reportedly turned down offers from New England, New York Giants, and Minnesota to sign with us. Wow what a difference from past Seahawks regimes.
Yep, it really does say a lot, and how far things have come for this team/org. It also shows that players from other teams see how the Hawks are run as a team and say "I want to be a part of that"! :)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":1bwqa4yg said:
Until something comes from Lynchs camp I consider it smoke, this team doesn't discuss contracts in the media being the first alert.

Williams will be a Monster, playing in a rotation and lining up in a couple spots will keep him fresh, being able to ruin the 49ers season after getting hurt playing them bonus.
Yes, I bet he'll be motivated for some serious payback! LOL! Me likey!

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
More from Williams:

“I just believed that [Seattle] probably was the best fit,’’ said Williams, 33, who made $5 million last season but knew he had to take a pay cut due to his age. “Just the direction that the team has been going. They’ve got a quarterback (Russell Wilson) and they’re coming off a Super Bowl (win). They’ve got a great young team.’’

Williams said he’s content to either start or be a rotation player for Seattle. He said playing limited snaps could prolong his career.

“Who knows?’’ Williams said. “I might go there and become a spring chicken again and play two or three more years.’’

"Williams said he will fly from his Arkansas home to Seattle early next week and sign his contract. He then will participate in the team’s minicamp."
http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings/201 ... -seahawks/

warden

Reaction score
kearly":317u7xri said:
This is all true. On the other hand, for as much as we correctly label the defense as "Pete's defense" and similarly with the offense, there was a very noticeable improvement both statistically and schematically when Quinn replaced Bradley. The use of coverage changed dramatically for the better, as did the creativity in the pass rush. Quinn had slightly better players to work with, but I think a huge part of the improvement came from simple coaching alterations..

Hmmm the biggest advancement of this defense had more to do with very young players learning their craft and maturing. It is all part of the process of developing players. Quinn did come in when it was time to put the icing on the top of the cake, but a lot of the roots of the development came from Bradley. What you are seeing now under Quinn is a combination of both coaches efforts.

Mick063

Reaction score
So off the top of my head......

Wasn't this guy an all-pro at least in some point of his career?
Wasn't he ranked at some point as a top 100 player?
Didn't Carroll call up Richard Dent to siphon technical information on defensive line play?
Isn't Williams going to play for considerably less than Red Bryant would have, had they retained Bryant's services?
Hasn't Williams proved to be very durable lately?
Didn't the Patriots make a move for Williams?

How can anyone think this isn't a great move?

This is a very solid acquisition. The man wants to leave the game with a final vision of blue and green confetti floating down upon him. He wants to leave sporting a big, gaudy ring. You know he will give it his best shot.

Honestly......great move.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":114z2bqp said:
More from Williams:

“I just believed that [Seattle] probably was the best fit,’’ said Williams, 33, who made $5 million last season but knew he had to take a pay cut due to his age. “Just the direction that the team has been going. They’ve got a quarterback (Russell Wilson) and they’re coming off a Super Bowl (win). They’ve got a great young team.’’

Williams said he’s content to either start or be a rotation player for Seattle. He said playing limited snaps could prolong his career.

“Who knows?’’ Williams said. “I might go there and become a spring chicken again and play two or three more years.’’

"Williams said he will fly from his Arkansas home to Seattle early next week and sign his contract. He then will participate in the team’s minicamp."
http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings/201 ... -seahawks/

Love his tude. And with a mindset like his, I have no doubt he will feel rejuvenated with all the young bucks making it fun (again). That's one thing about our Hawks that likely goes unseen by the rest of the league. I can't recall ever seeing a team that has as much (clean) fun as this team. Pete gives them a lot of rope, and not hanging themselves with that rope, shows a maturity uncommon in players their (collective) age. Knockin' on wood.

warden

Reaction score
Mick063":1ag9gmsc said:
Wasn't this guy an all-pro at least in some point of his career?

Five times Williams had been an all pro in his career (2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009)

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
warden":2c84jm53 said:
Hmmm the biggest advancement of this defense had more to do with very young players learning their craft and maturing. It is all part of the process of developing players. Quinn did come in when it was time to put the icing on the top of the cake, but a lot of the roots of the development came from Bradley. What you are seeing now under Quinn is a combination of both coaches efforts.

Basically how I see it, too. Fans have been hard on Bradley, but there hasn't been much credit to his ability to develop players. Even people's complaints on Gus' play calling don't add up:

Fans: "The defense needs to be more aggressive! They should blitz more and play more cover 1. Zone defense is the reason we lost games last year"

Quinn: Plays more cover-3 and blitzes less than 2012.

IMO, the biggest difference has been personnel, not a new DC. Another year of smarter, more experienced veterans, added with a healthy WT3, Bennett and Avril, McDonald playing lights out, and the entire defense healthy to end the year had a whole lot to do with the way this defense took the next step.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
HawkWow":1v2djia2 said:
Love his tude. And with a mindset like his, I have no doubt he will feel rejuvenated with all the young bucks making it fun (again). That's one thing about our Hawks that likely goes unseen by the rest of the league. I can't recall ever seeing a team that has as much (clean) fun as this team. Pete gives them a lot of rope, and not hanging themselves with that rope, shows a maturity uncommon in players their (collective) age. Knockin' on wood.
Don't you just love learning along the way what Pete meant when he came here and starting preaching his "Win Forever" mantra. He's done it again with this signing.

The guy is just money.

Perfundle

Reaction score
kearly":1gbb417b said:
In the same way, I see Bevell wait weeks to fix basic schematic problems in the offense and I just cannot find that acceptable. When the train is on the tracks Bevell does a fine job, but when problems pop up he is quite possibly the worst problem solver in the league. I'm okay with the vanilla philosophy, but when a defense sells out to stop plan A, he never really seems to have a plan B. And against elite defenses that know our offense well, it's been a big problem.
Every single fanbase complains about their offensive coordinator. He doesn't have a plan B? What do you call switching to power blocking in the second half of the conference championship when zone blocking wasn't working in the first? How did the Seahawks come back in every single game that they had a double-digit deficit since Wilson got here? The Seahawks are the only team in post-merger NFL history to go two straight seasons (including playoffs) without losing by more than 7 points. If he's the worst problem solver in the league, I'd like to know why the better ones couldn't manage that. Yes, the defense helps but the offense still has to score points to make the comeback, and they always do.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3191tyhe said:
hope it works out...but could be this years Antoine Winfield...

This is exactly what I thought when I heard the signing.

Which is fine. Come here, prove you've still got it, and we'll welcome you with open arms. Act like you'd rather be retired, and have a nice life.