Seahawks sign DT Kevin Williams to one-year deal

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":bi1y4fa6 said:
kearly":bi1y4fa6 said:
Seattle continues to be Valhalla for former Vikings stars. Too bad we didn't get Jared Allen too, getting revenge for Hutch never gets old.

I'm sorry, all the guys we brought over from Minnesota aren't comparable to a HOF guard in his prime, that they were able to pluck away without giving any draft compensation. And our attempt at "revenge" was signing Nate Burleson from them, who while he was a decent player, was never anything near Hutch. Our revenge wasn't trading 3 picks for Percy Harvin when two regimes had come and gone from both sides since the Hutch deal took place, nor is it signing a veteran DT that may have a year or two left at the most, nor was it signing a veteran DB that wound up retiring, etc etc.

Why are you guys getting wound up about a non-issue. Do you really think the new regime is still trying to pay them back for Hutch? Such silliness.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2014":4fufyews said:
HawkWow":4fufyews said:
BTW...check out Harvin's transgressions in 2010. The year he attacked HC Brad Childress with a barbell. His QB at that time? Brett Favre, not Christian Ponder. We could go all the way back to Florida, if you'd like. Was it Tebow and a national championship that made him attack his assistant coach (Rodrigues?) while there?

Harvin's a Hawk now and I do believe he will turn the corner, but to put his problems squarely on Ponder is incredulous. I do hope for Harvin to succeed (!) and I won't bash him, or comment further on the subject. It's all available for those that care to know.

Those are all unsubstantiated rumors. Harvin pushing a coach during a game never happened. Throwing a barbell at Brad Childress was another unsubstantiated rumor. The incident with Rodriguez at Florida was denied by Rodriguez himself, who said the rumor was overblown. Harvin's migraines were caused by sleep apnea. I suggest you quit reading the fan comments on these articles until you understand the difference between baseless rumors and reality.

They are baseless. But I think most people would enjoy throwing a barbell at Childress. :th2thumbs:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I just see it as karma.

But reality is this is just fun for the fans. The current regime in Seattle has no designs on revenge, they are simply plucking the best talent available and that happens to be several former Vikings. That those Vikings are signing anywhere besides Minnesota for similar or less money is a huge statement about the belief the players have in the team being successful. That could be for many reasons including Ponder.

Rumors were more that Harvin didn't like Ponder's work ethic. It is also likely he felt he was carrying the team and without him that team would suffer. Well outside a few games right after he was IR'd they have and those few games might have had something to do with how the Vikings handled Harvin. Being willing to bench or IR one of if not your best player makes a huge statement and puts every player on notice very possibly causing the others to actually work harder at least for a while. It probably didn't hurt that teams now essentially had to go back to the drawing board to game plan against them and that alone could carry a talented team for several games.

I do take a little pride in watching Viking players signing in Seattle and I do get a little twerk of revenge when it happens but I am not delusional enough to think our FO is doing it out of revenge. I know my feelings are from a fans point of view and I am pretty sure after the Hutch debacle I will always get a little joy out of seeing that organization suffer.

chris98251

Reaction score
Let you all in on a secret, we tell the Vikings who to draft so they can gain experience, then as our players move on we simply move a player from the Vikings to our roster, kinda like what the MLB does with the Mariners and the Yankees. :lol:

We only let the Vikings fans think they have a real team there, they have yet to figure out like we here have that the Mariners were never expected to win anything just keep the Yankees / Vikings stocked with players. :mrgreen:

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Signing Kevin Williams is an interesting move because I think he can fill a couple roles for us this year, as possibly an interior rusher on third downs, or at the three or five technique in the base package.

What I don't fully understand is why they didn't instead ask Red Bryant to restructure. Bryant accepted a $5 million deal with Jacksonville, and the Seahawks lost $3 million in dead money cap space by cutting Bryant. Had they restructured for around $4-5 million that would have used less cap space than cutting Bryant and signing Williams.

I'm a fan of Bryant, and I think his loss is going to unfortunately effect the way we play the run this year against the power teams like the Rams, Panthers, and 49ers.

Perfundle

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1lzojzd9 said:
What I don't fully understand is why they didn't instead ask Red Bryant to restructure.
Who's to say they didn't? Maybe Bryant thought that he could get more than that on the market, and then found that he couldn't. It happened to Bennett, after all.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Perfundle":1ir46153 said:
hawknation2014":1ir46153 said:
What I don't fully understand is why they didn't instead ask Red Bryant to restructure.
Who's to say they didn't? Maybe Bryant thought that he could get more than that on the market, and then found that he couldn't. It happened to Bennett, after all.

Good question. "Red Bryant was on KJR Friday. He said he was thankful for his time in Seattle, understands the business of football, but also that the Seahawks never asked him if he would consider restructuring his contract. They released him and moved on."

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... rylink=cpy

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Vikings fans hate seeing their former players succeed elsewhere. I was talking with a Vikings fan after the Super Bowl about how Percy Harvin was in the running for SB MVP. The fan couldn't bear to hear even the suggestion of it, so was immediately shunned. Oh, how sweet that is in remembrance of the poison once used on our beloved Seahawks. Maybe cannot exact revenge. But, it brings satisfaction to see the pipeline of players being called up from the farm team.

chris98251

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":q87clml3 said:
Its time to just move the team to Minnesota.

Why, you had trouble building one stadium, why makes you think they will build another for the World Champions, we can see right now what players are ready to make the jump to the professional level from here.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
The Seahawks signed veteran defensive tackle Kevin Williams last week (well, technically, he hasn't yet officially signed -- that should come today), and it's now being reported he took less money to come to Seattle over New England and Minnesota. The Vikings made a late push to retain the member of the NFL All-Decade Team for the 2000's and five time All Pro, but he ultimately decided to go to a team he considers more of a contender.

"I just think there were better pieces in place in Seattle. The familiarity with being in Minnesota was there, but a chance to (not) know if they're going to win 10 games or three games (played into it). I wish them luck, but there's no certainty there, and you have a proven quarterback in those two teams (Seattle and New England)."
Per ESPN's Ben Goessling,

Williams said... said [that Antoine] Winfield -- who was cut by Seattle at the end of training camp last August -- was "very complimentary" of the organization. Williams will head to Seattle to sign his contract next week and participate in the team's minicamp, in hopes of a longer stay in the Pacific Northwest than Winfield had.

"All I can do is do the best I can," Williams said. "Hopefully that's enough [to secure a roster spot]."
The fact that he wanted to play for a contender is hardly shocking -- the soon-to-be 34 year old has yet to win a Championship so the Patriots and Seahawks give him better odds of that, but I did find it interesting that he's going in with honest expectations that he'll need to compete hard to make the Seahawks' deep roster. Right now, I'd say he's a pretty solid lock for the line (I really, really like the signing), but knowing how Seattle manages their personnel, it wouldn't be overly crazy to imagine them go with the young bucks they have competing on the line over the vet.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-offseason ... to-seattle

HawkFan72

Reaction score
More confirmation that Williams turned down more money from the Pats to play for the Hawks.

I love this.

Kevin Williams asked the New England Patriots to reach out to him, but the five-time All Pro had a change of heart once the defending champions came calling.

Williams revealed, via ESPN.com's Ben Goessling, that his one-year contract with the Seahawks is worth a little less than what the Patriots were offering.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...williams-turned-down-more-money-from-patriots

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I am very curious to see whether Williams can secure a roster spot and then lockdown the three technique position when we play the power teams.

For example, against the 49ers, we could see a lineup like this:

SDE McDaniel (6'7, 305)
DT K. Williams (6'5, 315)
NT Mebane (6'1, 311)
WDE Bennett (6'3, 275)

Then against a pass-first team like the Broncos, the base lineup could look like this:

LDE Bennett (6'3, 275)
DT McDaniel (6'7, 305)
NT Mebane (6'1, 311)
RDE Avril (6'3, 260)

And then in passing situations, they could keep Avril and Bennett on the strongside of the line while bringing in a host of other pass-rushing options:

LDE Avril (6'3, 260)
DT Bennett (6'3, 275)
NT J. Williams (6'3, 320) or Hill (6'1, 300) or K. Williams (6'5, 315) or McDaniel (6'7, 305)
RDE Mayowa (6'3, 250) or Schofield (6'2, 240) or Marsh (6'4, 250) or Jeffcoat (6'3, 250)

Jville

Reaction score
Apparently Kevin Williams brings some very smart off the field leadership as well.

Kevin Williams has made nearly $50 million in 11 NFL seasons. He employed a financial planner from the start and says he's set for life even if he never plays again.

But Williams can see the upside for young players in the NFL Players Association's proposal that would pay out base salaries in 26 installments year-round, rather than 17 game checks during the regular season ............
............ If the union board votes against the extended pay period, Williams — who has visited the New York Giants and Seattle Seahawks and still hopes to play this season — has another plan for protecting players from themselves.

"I kind of had someone looking over my situations from day one. And I listened," Williams said. "You hire a financial planner for a reason. Some things, you're going to do. But most of the time, they advise you against it. You should take the time and listen."

Source >>>>>>>>>>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/06/03/kevin-williams-nflpa-payment-plan/9930969/[/urltargetblank]