Seahawks sign DT Kevin Williams to one-year deal

kigenzun

Reaction score
This is excellent news.

A Team Captain, a future Hall of Famer, and all he wants is be on a team with something to play for in DEC JAN FEB... (instead of the friggin' vikeys who have usually turned into a limp, rotting pumpkin, by the week after Halloween.)

A 3Textraordinaire with juice left in the tank for a championship run... At 2 million per?
THIS IS AWESOME!
JS/PC STRIKES AGAIN!!!

I love this after June 1st signing.
Another brilliant move by our front office.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":rf8qa4ny said:
kearly":rf8qa4ny said:
Seattle continues to be Valhalla for former Vikings stars. Too bad we didn't get Jared Allen too, getting revenge for Hutch never gets old.

I'm sorry, all the guys we brought over from Minnesota aren't comparable to a HOF guard in his prime, that they were able to pluck away without giving any draft compensation. And our attempt at "revenge" was signing Nate Burleson from them, who while he was a decent player, was never anything near Hutch. Our revenge wasn't trading 3 picks for Percy Harvin when two regimes had come and gone from both sides since the Hutch deal took place, nor is it signing a veteran DT that may have a year or two left at the most, nor was it signing a veteran DB that wound up retiring, etc etc.
How many SBs did they win with that HOF LG?

How about us with our Vikings castoffs?

HawkWow

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2ew8wapj said:
HawkWow":2ew8wapj said:
Love his tude. And with a mindset like his, I have no doubt he will feel rejuvenated with all the young bucks making it fun (again). That's one thing about our Hawks that likely goes unseen by the rest of the league. I can't recall ever seeing a team that has as much (clean) fun as this team. Pete gives them a lot of rope, and not hanging themselves with that rope, shows a maturity uncommon in players their (collective) age. Knockin' on wood.
Don't you just love learning along the way what Pete meant when he came here and starting preaching his "Win Forever" mantra. He's done it again with this signing.

The guy is just money.

Absolutely. I am embarrassed for ever questioning his hire and that is an understatement. I just felt he was too rah rah rah for the pro ranks and for whatever reason, I likened the hire to the lack of success of Spurrier and Saban. Which in hindsight was just stupid (Polar opposites).

One thing I failed to consider, when concerning myself about his probable collegiate approach to the game, is that we were about to become the youngest team in the league (+/-). Not only do the young players respond to his tactics, I think they find familiarity, if not comfort, in them. They don't want to play elsewhere so play their collective ass' off. Brilliant model by Pete and not a day goes by that I don't say 2 silent thanks to Mr. Allen. Thanks for Pete, thanks for SOS.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1crb5nxb said:
“I just believed that [Seattle] probably was the best fit,’’ said Williams ... They’ve got a quarterback (Russell Wilson).’’

Amazing how deflating it can be for players to play with a mediocre QB. Harvin basically demanded to be traded because of it. The Ponder experiment has basically cost Minnesota all of their star vets (who may have otherwise come back on cheap deals). Harvin, Jared Allen, Williams, Winfield... none of those guys wanted to go back. Winfield opted to retire rather than play for a team with a bad QB.

Russell Wilson is a big part of the current appeal of this organization.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3mggeun0 said:
Recon_Hawk":3mggeun0 said:
“I just believed that [Seattle] probably was the best fit,’’ said Williams ... They’ve got a quarterback (Russell Wilson).’’

Amazing how deflating it can be for players to play with a mediocre QB. Harvin basically demanded to be traded because of it. The Ponder experiment has basically cost Minnesota all of their star vets (who may have otherwise come back on cheap deals). Harvin, Jared Allen, Williams, Winfield... none of those guys wanted to go back. Winfield opted to retire rather than play for a team with a bad QB.

This entire organization is a big part of the current appeal of this organization.

kearly

Reaction score
warden":gwckz32r said:
Hmmm the biggest advancement of this defense had more to do with very young players learning their craft and maturing. It is all part of the process of developing players. Quinn did come in when it was time to put the icing on the top of the cake, but a lot of the roots of the development came from Bradley. What you are seeing now under Quinn is a combination of both coaches efforts.

Seems like a stretch to give Bradley much credit for player development. Usually it is position coaches who make a difference in that area. Remember that Bradley was actually here before Pete, during a time when our defense was the worst in non-expansion era franchise history. Whatever golden touch he supposedly had, there is zero evidence of it before Pete came here.

What Bradley did do was run a lot of soft zones and avoid blitzing even when we sorely lacked the personnel to make a 4 man rush viable. We lost quite a few games to inferior teams in 2012 because of these two issues, including a playoff game.

Quinn got a ton of help when JS signed Bennett and Avril no doubt. But then again, is it much of a coincidence that McDaniel, McDonald, and Red Bryant all have fantastic years immediately once Quinn shows up? There were other gems too (Brooks, Schofield, Mayowa). Mayowa wasn't even a starting player for a smallish college football team before Quinn got a hold of him.

In terms of coverage, there were big changes and under Quinn. Our zone coverage went from huge liability to the talk of the league.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":gxquzikb said:
Recon_Hawk":gxquzikb said:

Quality insight here.

chris98251

Reaction score
This defense is about compete, but if you watch them it's all about fun and enjoying the game as well. As a Viking it could not have been much fun for the last few years. Rejuvenated is right, when you have fun your eager to play and come in and be a part of something.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kearly":148oceky said:
warden":148oceky said:
Hmmm the biggest advancement of this defense had more to do with very young players learning their craft and maturing. It is all part of the process of developing players. Quinn did come in when it was time to put the icing on the top of the cake, but a lot of the roots of the development came from Bradley. What you are seeing now under Quinn is a combination of both coaches efforts.

Seems like a stretch to give Bradley much credit for player development. Usually it is position coaches who make a difference in that area. Remember that Bradley was actually here before Pete, during a time when our defense was the worst in non-expansion era franchise history. Whatever golden touch he supposedly had, there is zero evidence of it before Pete came here.

What Bradley did do was run a lot of soft zones and avoid blitzing even when we sorely lacked the personnel to make a 4 man rush viable. We lost quite a few games to inferior teams in 2012 because of these two issues, including a playoff game.

Quinn got a ton of help when JS signed Bennett and Avril no doubt. But then again, is it much of a coincidence that McDaniel, McDonald, and Red Bryant all have fantastic years immediately once Quinn shows up? There were other gems too (Brooks, Schofield, Mayowa). Mayowa wasn't even a starting player for a smallish college football team before Quinn got a hold of him.

In terms of coverage, there were big changes and under Quinn. Our zone coverage went from huge liability to the talk of the league.
Great points! Agreed!

Perfundle

Reaction score
kearly":3vhi96xa said:
What were the changes that were made? Were the linebackers playing closer to the line of scrimmage? The Super Bowl featured a lot of Cover-1 Robber, so was that a bigger emphasis in the regular season as well? I know that Sherman played a lot more zone coverage last year compared to 2012.

HawkWow

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1m7xw7jx said:
Recon_Hawk":1m7xw7jx said:

Not to detract from the intent of your post,..and nobody knows better than us how deflating it is to have a poor QB, but your reference of Harvin was not a good example at all. His bro Hernandez got a lucrative extension from the Pats, Harvin demanded one too. Already furious by Moss' dismissal, when the Vikes wouldn't cave to Harvin's demands, he not only got pissy, he also got headaches.

Prior to his injury vs our hawks, Ponder had Harvin topping most league MVP lists. Why would Harvin have a problem with Ponder? The Vikes were winning and may have won more had Harvin not shoved mild-mannered Leslie Frazier for the world to see in that same contest. That was week 9....no way was Harvin's ankle injury season ending. He was held out before he could further damage his trade value.

With Harvin sidelined, the Vikes went onto win 5 of their next 7 and lost to (I forget ) in the playoffs. So maybe Ponder wasn't the problem at all (?). Not in 2012, anyway.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
HawkWow":yj3vmqg0 said:
DavidSeven":yj3vmqg0 said:
Recon_Hawk":yj3vmqg0 said:

Not to detract from the intent of your post,..and nobody knows better than us how deflating it is to have a poor QB, but your reference of Harvin was not a good example at all. His bro Hernandez got a lucrative extension from the Pats, Harvin demanded one too. Already furious by Moss' dismissal, when the Vikes wouldn't cave to Harvin's demands, he not only got pissy, he also got headaches.

Prior to his injury vs our hawks, Ponder had Harvin topping most league MVP lists. Why would Harvin have a problem with Ponder? The Vikes were winning and may have won more had Harvin not shoved mild-mannered Leslie Frazier for the world to see in that same contest. That was week 9....no way was Harvin's ankle injury season ending. He was held out before he could further damage his trade value.

With Harvin sidelined, the Vikes went onto win 5 of their next 7 and lost to (I forget ) in the playoffs. So maybe Ponder wasn't the problem at all (?). Not in 2012, anyway.

NFL.com: Harvin lacked faith in Ponder

PFT: Vikings grew tired of Harvin complaining about Ponder.

Yahoo: Harvin's lack of confidence in Ponder final straw for Vikings

"According to two sources, the straw that broke the Vikings' back with Harvin is when he bemoaned the fact that quarterback Christian Ponder, a 2011 first-round pick, was not good enough. That came even though Ponder consistently fed Harvin the ball."

Yahoo: Percy Harvin excited to play with new quarterback; compares Wilson to Favre (not Ponder)

Harvin: "I’m very blessed to know that this doesn’t come around often to play with an up and coming quarterback like Russell, who guys are comparing preparation-wise to Brett Favre. When I hear that, and hear people comparing him to Brett Favre, I listen. So seeing this opportunity, I’m very, very, very grateful.”

HawkWow

Reaction score
DavidSeven":25ix4lcs said:
HawkWow":25ix4lcs said:
DavidSeven":25ix4lcs said:
Recon_Hawk":25ix4lcs said:

PFT: Vikings grew tired of Harvin complaining about Ponder.

Yahoo: Harvin's lack of confidence in Ponder final straw for Vikings

Thanks David..are you suggesting it was Ponder giving Harvin those headaches, then? Harvin was complaining about anything and everything and constantly threatening to hold out (for money, not QB). Ponder was a convenient target. Why didn't AP piss and moan about Ponder? In a word, class. You don't call out your QB, ever. Was Ponder Favre? No, he wasn't...but you don't call out your QB.

Here's a comment from your link: Like the article itself, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

wludford says:
Mar 12, 2013 12:32 PM
"If the Seattle offensive does not revolve around Percy Harvin, he will be a locker room cancer. He didn’t like playing second-fiddle to MVPeterson in Minnesota. Remember how POed he got with the video showing AP beating him in a running race in pre-season? Truth is, while Ponder is not an elite QB, he got Percy the ball".

HawkWow

Reaction score
BTW...check out Harvin's transgressions in 2010. The year he attacked HC Brad Childress with a barbell. His QB at that time? Brett Favre, not Christian Ponder. We could go all the way back to Florida, if you'd like. Was it Tebow and a national championship that made him attack his assistant coach (Rodrigues?) while there?

Harvin's a Hawk now and I do believe he will turn the corner, but to put his problems squarely on Ponder is incredulous. I do hope for Harvin to succeed (!) and I won't bash him, or comment further on the subject. It's all available for those that care to know.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
HawkWow, I'm not really suggesting anything. Just made an earlier comment that was based on well-known speculation that Harvin wasn't happy with Ponder. The mass exodus of popular Viking players since then suggests they may feel the same.

Not really trying to get into a discussion of all the issues Harvin had in Minnesota. His own comments at his press conference suggests he didn't think much of Ponder -- refused to even mention him by name and deflected all questions about his relationship with him. All that other stuff has already been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. I read a lot of posts and I'm familiar with your stance on those issues (which isn't entirely without merit).

HawkWow

Reaction score
DavidSeven":f1kyq7pu said:
HawkWow, I'm not really suggesting anything. Just made an earlier comment that was based on well-known speculation that Harvin wasn't happy with Ponder. The mass exodus of popular Viking players since then suggests they may feel the same.

Not really trying to get into a discussion of all the issues Harvin had in Minnesota. His own comments at his press conference suggests he didn't think much of Ponder -- refused to even mention him by name and deflected all questions about his relationship with him. All that other stuff has already been discussed as nauseum on this forum. I read a lot of posts and I'm familiar with your stance on that stuff (which isn't entirely without merit).

Fair enough, David. My points on the subject ALL have merit, or I wouldn't post them. It's all too well documented for that. Wasn't calling you out, I enjoy your insight, I just don't want Percy to get a free pass from his time with the Vikes...as much as I loathe them, I loathe Harvin's actions while there, even more. I was merely pointing out there are better examples for your position than Percy Harvin. Peace.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
HawkWow":33xgzuce said:
Why didn't AP piss and moan about Ponder? In a word, class. You don't call out your QB, ever. Was Ponder Favre? No, he wasn't...but you don't call out your QB.

Well it's unfair to compare AP who is still with the team to Harvin who left the team. Those are press reports of what was happening behind the scenes. For all you know, AP was unhappy with Ponder as well. Once a guy gets cut reports like that come out to make the fanbase feel better about losing the player.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
HawkWow":jx7ecj32 said:
BTW...check out Harvin's transgressions in 2010. The year he attacked HC Brad Childress with a barbell. His QB at that time? Brett Favre, not Christian Ponder. We could go all the way back to Florida, if you'd like. Was it Tebow and a national championship that made him attack his assistant coach (Rodrigues?) while there?

Harvin's a Hawk now and I do believe he will turn the corner, but to put his problems squarely on Ponder is incredulous. I do hope for Harvin to succeed (!) and I won't bash him, or comment further on the subject. It's all available for those that care to know.

Those are all unsubstantiated rumors. Harvin pushing a coach during a game never happened. Throwing a barbell at Brad Childress was another unsubstantiated rumor. The incident with Rodriguez at Florida was denied by Rodriguez himself, who said the rumor was overblown. Harvin's migraines were caused by sleep apnea. I suggest you quit reading the fan comments on these articles until you understand the difference between baseless rumors and reality.