Seahawks sign LB Nick Moody

hawknation2015

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1ahkdwq9 said:
DavidSeven":1ahkdwq9 said:
jammerhawk":1ahkdwq9 said:
I haven't seen any confirmation of this yet, so it may not be correct, but the player cut is said to be SS - Kelcie McCray who the team just acquired for a 5th which must have been a conditional pick trade.

Otherwise the team has traded away a 5th for a player they didn't keep.

Source?

My source is a comment made on the prospective signing at Fieldgulls.com from a person supposedly in the know with the Hawks, accuracy unconfirmed.

As can be seen it was interesting enough to pass on but as said earlier I'm uncertain about the accuracy of that comment but it would make sense if the McCray pick trade was conditional, if not not so much.

As it presently seems to be the case this prospective signing won't happen for a bit.

Interesting acquisition though.

Moody is too slow and too lacking of instincts in coverage to play safety. He's a LB all the way. Hopefully, they finally release Morgan.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3cva8hy6 said:
Who knows then, but somehow I doubt it'll be Morgan.

He's due $1 million this year as a rarely used backup SLB and LEO. He's already been ruled out Sunday with a hamstring tear. Moody would make up for whatever loss their would be on special teams.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3si4wt34 said:
jammerhawk":3si4wt34 said:

He's due $1 million this year as a rarely used backup SLB and LEO. He's already been ruled out Sunday with a hamstring tear. Moody would make up for whatever loss their would be on special teams.

If you are on the roster for week 1 you get the whole salary guaranteed for the year so that $1million may already be spent.

I just don't know if that is the roster week 1 as in this past Monday or as in this upcoming Sunday.....

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":31cmcrd5 said:
Mike 4G":31cmcrd5 said:
Weren't h 9ers fans high on this guy? Any thought on him?

Now that he's going to be a Seahawk, apparently he's garbage but prior to that I did read that he looked good against the run but might need another year to develop with regard to play recognition and pass coverage.

If you search his name I know I discussed him in passing earlier in the pre-season when he was still on the 9ers.

IIRC I said that he'd been getting a ton of really good press this off season but frankly on the field I didn't really see why.

He's athletic, but not a particularly good football player. He gets washed out too much and misses a lot of tackles due to poor technique.

He has some value on ST and as a backup though, and definitely isn't awful or anything.

So, tepid praise, but FWIW I thought he would and should have beat out Bellore for the 9ers last ILB spot, and probably only didn't because the 9ers give a couple roster spots to their ST coach and Bellore has a long relationship with ours.

Not a bad signing by any means.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
mikeak":11i16aua said:
hawknation2015":11i16aua said:
jammerhawk":11i16aua said:

If you are on the roster for week 1 you get the whole salary guaranteed for the year so that $1million may already be spent.

I just don't know if that is the roster week 1 as in this past Monday or as in this upcoming Sunday.....

Looks like you are correct . . . which makes no sense to me why they would spend $1 million or Morgan, sign his equivalent in Moody, and instead release a player like T.Y. McGill on a bare minimum deal. IMO, it's a sentimental USC thing clouding his judgment.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3an8mzz7 said:
I hope mentally Moody is alright.

I hear his personna can swing wildly one way or the other in a moments notice.
So then if he's feelin' sad, he can be a Moody Blue?

In response to someone above who said Pete's going all in on STs this year, did anyone have the thought that maybe they're refining the roster to the point that they're trying to keep starters off STs but keep the level of play high on STs by signing guys who are ST demons? Thought crossed my mind.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1tyjrrml said:

Word on the street is he's very capricious .

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2aisn3qw said:
Tech Worlds":2aisn3qw said:

So then he can be a Moody Blue?

In response to someone above who said Pete's going all in on STs this year, did anyone have the thought that maybe they're refining the roster to the point that they're trying to keep starters off STs but keep the level of play high on STs by signing guys who are ST demons? Thought crossed my mind.

If we sign Moody, we're going to have to wring the whiner out of him.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":14l8043c said:

I think Pete just got pissed that our Special Teams didn't perform very well last year (outside our kickers), especially since it is almost always a strength on his teams and he emphasizes it so strongly. He traded multiple picks to draft the best college returner and has been trading for, signing, and retaining ST coverage/blocking guys like they're candy. Dude is not going to let his ST unit be average two years in a row without a fight.

I definitely feel like he's all-in on ST this year, and he even mentioned today that the ST unit is the one he's most excited to watch.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DavidSeven":17kg1hfn said:
hawksfansinceday1":17kg1hfn said:

I think Pete just got pissed that our Special Teams didn't perform very well last year (outside our kickers), especially since it is almost always a strength on his teams and he emphasizes it so strongly. He traded multiple picks to draft the best college returner and has been trading for, signing, and retaining ST coverage/blocking guys like they're candy. Dude is not going to let his ST unit be average two years in a row without a fight.

I definitely feel like he's all-in on ST this year, and he even mentioned today that the ST unit is the one he's most excited to watch.

With that line of thinking, I am definitely concerned with having Ricardo Lockette at gunner for another season. He does not know how to wrap up and is a constant risk for a penalty when he does make contact. One of the reasons the coverage units looked so improved was because we had guys like Kevin Smith in there, making savvy plays that Lockette could never make.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":zajh5k3y said:
Laloosh":zajh5k3y said:
Mike 4G":zajh5k3y said:

Now that he's going to be a Seahawk, apparently he's garbage but prior to that I did read that he looked good against the run but might need another year to develop with regard to play recognition and pass coverage.

If you search his name I know I discussed him in passing earlier in the pre-season when he was still on the 9ers.

IIRC I said that he'd been getting a ton of really good press this off season but frankly on the field I didn't really see why.

He's athletic, but not a particularly good football player. He gets washed out too much and misses a lot of tackles due to poor technique.

He has some value on ST and as a backup though, and definitely isn't awful or anything.

So, tepid praise, but FWIW I thought he would and should have beat out Bellore for the 9ers last ILB spot, and probably only didn't because the 9ers give a couple roster spots to their ST coach and Bellore has a long relationship with ours.

Thanks Popeye.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3frv6d15 said:
Laloosh":3frv6d15 said:
Mike 4G":3frv6d15 said:

thanks for the info.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Moody is pretty athletic for a LB. Hint to the naysayers, what safety did he run a faster 40 time than? (It rhymes with Pantsellor)

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Scottemojo":jqpsg525 said:
Moody is pretty athletic for a LB. Hint to the naysayers, what safety did he run a faster 40 time than? (It rhymes with Pantsellor)
Moody ran a 4.71 at the Combine. Kam ran a 4.69 at the Combine, and subsequently a 4.59 at his Pro Day.

mrt144

Reaction score
morgulon1":r5acvyfe said:
Tech Worlds":r5acvyfe said:

Word on the street is he's very capricious .

Like in a King Joffery way or like a might have undiagnosed bi-polar disorder way?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":nwuokv70 said:
Scottemojo":nwuokv70 said:
Moody ran a 4.71 at the Combine. Kam ran a 4.69 at the Combine, and subsequently a 4.59 at his Pro Day.
Moody ran a 4.61 at his pro day, which was my error.

Still fast for a LB.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3o55wtya said:
hawksfansinceday1":3o55wtya said:

You take your lumps with a absent Kam Chancellor and other secondary Question marks but if you have potentially built one of the best and deepest defensive front 7's in the NFL, it kind of helps balances out, with strengths covering weaknesses.

And I think the emphasize on Special Teams is part of that realization, it was highly upgradable and the coverage unit was trash up until the 2nd half of the season. Return game just atrocious all season.

You improve Special Teams defense, you improve the Defense. Field position, prevent the splash play and TDs.

You improve Special Teams offense, you improve the Offense. Field position, create the splash play and score TDs.

Special Teams Play can become a huge X factor right now, because it can cover for both an unknown O-line unit as well as a weakened Secondary (along with the front 7) affording the Seahawks time to iron out the wrinkles.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Rotowotld.com is reporting that Moody has been signed to the PS, not the 53.