Seahawks signed Mayowa

Vaclav44

Reaction score
GLio14":2z6adb2c said:
This signing signals to me that Clowney isn't happening.

I don't like it, but I have to agree with you on this. Hopefully they at least land Everson.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
nanomoz":2g211tlq said:
He had 10 QB hits and 7 sacks last year. If he duplicates that as a situational pass rusher it's a crazy bargain.

Uh, yeah. This.

Mayowa at 3m per year is a really, really good value and provides needed flexibility on the line. We now have two quite good situational rushers in Mayowa and Irvin, who can also play LB.

chris98251

Reaction score
He was a pre season stand out for us, hung around a bit and then was a casualty, had promise and that is what has kept him in the league, he may not be a start but a rotational guy for us.

kf3339

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2msuqgtm said:
De. Didn't have one start with the RAIDERS last year.

Let that sink in. The Raiders.

Yes, but he also had more sacks than Clowney and Ansah combined. Let that sink in as well.

toffee

Reaction score
Him and Irvin had 15 sacks last season, hoping they could duplicate that this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
More productive than Collier and Green combined. Although I expect both young guys will progress this year.

TAB420

Reaction score
toffee":3ce2vu6c said:
Him and Irvin had 15 sacks last season, hoping they could duplicate that this year.

Add Griffen and we have made a major upgrade at DE. We could even get Mathews on the cheap for depth.

kf3339

Reaction score
toffee":2hps0d6r said:

I think 15 sacks may be more than our entire defensive line produced last year, including the reserves.

kf3339

Reaction score
TAB420":3ftbcrko said:
toffee":3ftbcrko said:

Add Griffen and we have made a major upgrade at DE. We could even get Mathews on the cheap for depth.

^Yes, and yes.

tersal

Reaction score
Wenhawk":13bborh3 said:
28 Years Old
6'3 265lb
Avg 5.5 Sacks over last two years with only a few starts. Seems like a really good back end role player which gives us more flexibility in the draft.

Green
Collier
Irvin
Mayowa
? Clowney or Griffen
? Draft pick

Do not forget Jackson who was tendered not a major player but stays on through hard work. Can play inside and out

Vaclav44

Reaction score
tersal":2au3zm96 said:
Wenhawk":2au3zm96 said:
28 Years Old
6'3 265lb
Avg 5.5 Sacks over last two years with only a few starts. Seems like a really good back end role player which gives us more flexibility in the draft.

Green
Collier
Irvin
Mayowa
? Clowney or Griffen
? Draft pick

Do not forget Jackson who was tendered not a major player but stays on through hard work. Can play inside and out

OK, OK, you guys are making me warm up to this move!

I actually remember liking him when he first was on the team. Don't remember exactly WHY I liked him, but I did! LOL

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2th1vzoy said:
De. Didn't have one start with the RAIDERS last year.

Let that sink in. The Raiders.
With SEVEN SACKS "Let THAT sink in"

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Why do some think this ends the Clowney pursuit? Just curious

ivotuk

Reaction score
I LOVE this signing! I've always been optimistic about Mayowa because of his athletic traits, and thought that his lack of experience is what held him back.

I think he struggles with the playbook, or with his reads, and just needs to be turned loose. So, likely a rotational player, hence very few starts.

As far as I'm concerned, this could mean anything, including that Clowney might be signing soon, so they want a rotational player with sack production. Someone that can take advantage of Jadeveon's disruption.

Early last season, no one on the Raiders defense was hotter than Benson Mayowa. The eighth-year veteran roared out the gates, putting up a team-leading seven sacks in his first eight games since returning to the Raiders.

Those seven sacks were a career-high, but after that eighth game, he didn’t post another sack for the rest of the season. Much of that had to do with the emergence of rookie Maxx Crosby.

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2020/0 ... -seahawks/

ivotuk

Reaction score
Some more on Mayowa. Apparently his first stop as a Raider they tried him in a 3-4 defense.

Mayowa has a rangy, long build with an exceptional first step. He can get off the ball, and his lack of bulk doesn't hinder his ability to hold up against the run.

He can get his hands inside quickly and control blockers. Against Green Bay, he was able to handle a pretty good tackle in David Bakhtiari with one arm on several snaps.

Surprisingly, the film shows him walking tackles back in the pocket. He plays with some short-area quickness and a burst. He can run the play down from the back side. There is some very good lateral speed and quickness. He can bend and redirect on the blocker. He is always on the move and can come to balance quickly when he has to stop.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/scou ... its-401476

QuahHawk

Reaction score
It doesn't end the Clowney pursuit but seem to me like Griffin on a 2 year $20 Mil deal and spending a 2nd rd pick on a DE and Keepign Britt on the team is better for us than Signinf Clowney to a 18$ APY deal and having to cut Britt.

Feels like at this point it is Griffin + Britt or Clowney

I can see both are great options and plan B is spend a 1st cut Britt and sign Yannick to a 5 year deal at $18 APY. I think Yannick is a safer long term play than Clowney as his injury history doesn't compare.

kf3339

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2j08mdpv said:
IT doesn't edn the Clowney pursuit but seem to me like Griffin on a 2 year $20 Mil deal and spending a 2nd rd pick on a DE and Keepign Britt on the team is better for us than Signinf Clowney to a 18$ APY deal and having to cut Britt.

Feels like at this point it is Griffin + Britt or Clowney

I can see both are great options and plan B is spend a 1st cut Britt and sign Yannick to a 5 year deal at $18 APY. I think Yannick is a safer long term play than Clowney as his injury history doesn't compare.

I can see your first option as a good idea with signing Griffin and keeping Britt. I will still get Britt to restructure his cap hit for this year. I don't see using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a DE and would prefer finding a day three DE prospect.

Yannick is still an option, but not sure we should be giving up a high draft pick for him. That would probably be the cost, but personally would rather just sign Griffin and keep the pick(s).

As for Clowney I do get the feeling he is moving on at this point. His price is falling and this has probably messed with his head. He could go all beastmode to prove the league wrong, but also become a locker room problem with a lower contract and pissed about the result. May be best for both sides to move on.