Seahawks to sign WR Laviska Shenault

chris98251

Reaction score
Maybe you can explain then how adding him to our roster which is still 20+ bodies short is a bad thing? There are going to be nearly 40 guys who we will cut come August. Having camp bodies is a part of the process. I’d really like to know how that makes this a “waste of time”
Agreed and in camp having enough WR and CB's to throw too is always a challenge.

flv2

Reaction score
Bingo! Throw him some bubble screens, give him a carry one in a blue moon and make him your return guy.
Are you going to give him Smith-Njigba's reps or job? In 2023 Shenault caught 10 passes on 10 targets for 60 yards. He has a career average of 9.8 yards per reception and 7.0 yards per target. That's pretty much what Smith-Njigba was doing last season.

xray

Reaction score
I'm aware that teams need 90 guys and many are just not very good . They go out with the trash , so to speak . I'm saying that Shenault won't be a keeper . It's just my personal belief .

xray

Reaction score
Now...on the other hand ; maybe JS thinks this guy is " Money ". If so , than I have some genuine concern about this rebuild already . ;)

cheese22

Reaction score
he has some Deebo Samuel in him
Came here to say this.
He could be here to remind Eskridge that it's possible to play through a little pain.
I realize it's his highlight reel and doesn't show his flaws, but why wouldn't you get the ball in his hands more often. Short passes, screens, returns, reverses, fly sweeps. He doesn't go down easy and has great size and speed. Maybe he realizes he won't get many more chances and really dedicates himself to sticking. Kind of a no-lose situation for Seattle.

getnasty

Reaction score
Are you going to give him Smith-Njigba's reps or job? In 2023 Shenault caught 10 passes on 10 targets for 60 yards. He has a career average of 9.8 yards per reception and 7.0 yards per target. That's pretty much what Smith-Njigba was doing last season.
Ahh no. He's literally a 5th WR with most of the upside coming on gadget plays and special teams. JSN will become our 1b this year.

bileever

Reaction score
he has some Deebo Samuel in him
I know the video is just highlights, but yes, I like how he catches the ball in traffic and gets yards after the catch. He also plays some RB, like Deebo, and he is a very physical receiver. We don't have a receiver like that. DK, for all his size, doesn't have much escapability or wiggle in his game.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Man, since some poster(s) want to get so deep with the feels on a back end depth move on a guy that might have the potential to be better than any of the WRs on the back end of the roster: Young, Eskridge, White, and Winston. Acting as if this was a big investment like when the Seahawks signed Cary Williams or Luke Joeckel or Greg Olsen, I guess with the Seahawks seemingly at a standstill until the draft, I’ll take Shenault’s addition to an extremist level as well but going the other way.

What Shenault brings to the table on the surface:

26 starts. Eskridge, Young, White, and Winston have a collective 2 starts between them, none with the Seahawks.

ST competition. As others have pointed out this signing seems mostly like a ST addition to the new rules and Seahawks are lacking bonafide returner types on their roster with Dallas moving on and they can’t really count on Eskridge to be the guy until he proves it, which he hasn’t.

WR competition with a solid 71.5 Career Catch % out of 221 targets. I liked seeing this as it seemed to fall in line with the advanced statistical theme in signing guys like Dodson, Jenkins, and Pharaoh Brown.

Automatically becomes the best RB type out of the WR group. Do you really want to continue seeing the same guys fail at bubble screens and jet sweeps or possibly add another layer to the mix that might add to those types of plays?

Diving Deeper For Possibilities:

As others have also said, Shenault is big-bodied, physical, and aggressive like Deebo Samuel is. Wouldn’t it be a smart move for McDonald to have players that can emulate opposing players he needs his defense to be able to solve?

Shenault had 2 okay years with the JAGs before going to the dumpster fire that is CAR and falling off through a bunch of coaching changes, QBs changes, and injuries. Not a lot of stability the last 2 years to get anything going. But young enough to still figure it out, younger than Eskridge despite being drafted a year earlier. I mean Cordelle Patterson is still in the league at 33 years old, still getting jobs, despite being thought of as a similar bust after his rookie contract.

If I was trying to understand the correlation on how Shenault might fit with Grubb, he kind of reminds me of UW WR Germain Bernard, not necessarily in size and athleticism but in utilization and skillset.

But who knows maybe they are thinking outside the box, and it would not surprise me at all if Shenault becomes an RB first player similar to a JD McKissic, that can be a quality WR out of the backfield. It might fit his skillset better as his average Y/R as a WR was 9.8 Yards, so he was doing a lot of short yardage routes. But he also averaged 5.0 yards per rush attempt. As someone who loved Roschon Johnson a lot last year, Shenault has similar size and athleticism. Also, comparable to McIntosh too now that I think about it. Grubb’s type of RBs aren’t game breakers with crazy speed or athleticism but they all have the same traits. Tough-nosed, physical with a decisive and direct running approach with the versatility to work in the passing game or in protection duties.

But yeah Shenault might not amount to anything tangible, no one really saying he’s going to come in here and be something the Seahawks can utilized but who knows sometimes players find the right situation with the right coaches to unlock their potential. In the very least, he looks better on paper at this point than either Eskridge, Young, White, or Winston and that immediately makes it a pretty solid addition because they continue to find ways to raise the floor even if it’s a little amount until proven otherwise.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
Maybe you can explain then how adding him to our roster which is still 20+ bodies short is a bad thing? There are going to be nearly 40 guys who we will cut come August. Having camp bodies is a part of the process. I’d really like to know how that makes this a “waste of time”
Oh I agree. It’s part of the process.

But, not expecting greatness here or getting post-worthy excited…

flv2

Reaction score
Man, since some poster(s) want to get so deep with the feels on a back end depth move on a guy that might have the potential to be better than any of the WRs on the back end of the roster: Young, Eskridge, White, and Winston. Acting as if this was a big investment like when the Seahawks signed Cary Williams or Luke Joeckel or Greg Olsen, I guess with the Seahawks seemingly at a standstill until the draft, I’ll take Shenault’s addition to an extremist level as well but going the other way.

What Shenault brings to the table on the surface:

26 starts. Eskridge, Young, White, and Winston have a collective 2 starts between them, none with the Seahawks.

ST competition. As others have pointed out this signing seems mostly like a ST addition to the new rules and Seahawks are lacking bonafide returner types on their roster with Dallas moving on and they can’t really count on Eskridge to be the guy until he proves it, which he hasn’t.

WR competition with a solid 71.5 Career Catch % out of 221 targets. I liked seeing this as it seemed to fall in line with the advanced statistical theme in signing guys like Dodson, Jenkins, and Pharaoh Brown.

Automatically becomes the best RB type out of the WR group. Do you really want to continue seeing the same guys fail at bubble screens and jet sweeps or possibly add another layer to the mix that might add to those types of plays?

Diving Deeper For Possibilities:

As others have also said, Shenault is big-bodied, physical, and aggressive like Deebo Samuel is. Wouldn’t it be a smart move for McDonald to have players that can emulate opposing players he needs his defense to be able to solve?

Shenault had 2 okay years with the JAGs before going to the dumpster fire that is CAR and falling off through a bunch of coaching changes, QBs changes, and injuries. Not a lot of stability the last 2 years to get anything going. But young enough to still figure it out, younger than Eskridge despite being drafted a year earlier. I mean Cordelle Patterson is still in the league at 33 years old, still getting jobs, despite being thought of as a similar bust after his rookie contract.

If I was trying to understand the correlation on how Shenault might fit with Grubb, he kind of reminds me of UW WR Germain Bernard, not necessarily in size and athleticism but in utilization and skillset.

But who knows maybe they are thinking outside the box, and it would not surprise me at all if Shenault becomes an RB first player similar to a JD McKissic, that can be a quality WR out of the backfield. It might fit his skillset better as his average Y/R as a WR was 9.8 Yards, so he was doing a lot of short yardage routes. But he also averaged 5.0 yards per rush attempt. As someone who loved Roschon Johnson a lot last year, Shenault has similar size and athleticism. Also, comparable to McIntosh too now that I think about it. Grubb’s type of RBs aren’t game breakers with crazy speed or athleticism but they all have the same traits. Tough-nosed, physical with a decisive and direct running approach with the versatility to work in the passing game or in protection duties.

But yeah Shenault might not amount to anything tangible, no one really saying he’s going to come in here and be something the Seahawks can utilized but who knows sometimes players find the right situation with the right coaches to unlock their potential. In the very least, he looks better on paper at this point than either Eskridge, Young, White, or Winston and that immediately makes it a pretty solid addition because they continue to find ways to raise the floor even if it’s a little amount until proven otherwise.
10 bubble screens for 60 yards, (long of 14), in 8 games during 2023. 4 years ago his 40 yard time was 4.58. Small TE body, TE speed, TE hands, doesn't block, and he's coming off IR. Expectations should be low.

bileever

Reaction score
Shenault is a bit of a mystery. He was a highly touted prospect coming out of college, and had two pretty productive years in Jacksonville. I thought it was odd that the Jaguars gave up on him after a fairly productive second year (63 catches/619 yards). I thought that maybe there was a work ethic or attitude issue, but people seem to rave about him:

In that article, Gardner Minshew is quoted as saying: "Laviska is a freak, man. I knew it when we played him at Colorado. He’s a lot better route runner, a lot better at catching the ball than I even expected."

Shenault's a physical specimen at 6' 1" and 220 lbs, which is heavy for a WR. I mean DK Metcalf weighs 230 and he's a lot taller. He's also very physical. He spent a lot of last season on IR for an ankle injury, which explains his down year with only 10 catches. Hopefully he's fully recovered.

xray

Reaction score
I'm curious as to why signings of obscure , low level players by the Hawks , get some members so excited . Raise the bar a little more for gawds sake . ;)

CouchLogic

Reaction score
No Way Abandon Thread GIF