Seahawks v.s. 49ers (age related)

rideaducati

Reaction score
The players you point out are two first round picks a second rounder and a fullback...you are so right, what was I thinking by not being impressed? Four players out of what? 40 picks? wow. When do we get to see all the other players he picked?

You'll come around soon enough because he's gonna have a lot of replacing to do over the next couple years. Just remember, I told you so.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":20u08krg said:
hawknation2014":20u08krg said:
The way the 49ers have drafted since 2012 makes me happy. That 2012 draft class was a real failure for them; not a single player has started a game and only two players from that class remain on the team (Joe Looney, who has played in four total games, and LaMichael James, who had just 12 rushing attempts last year).

My two favorite picks from their poor 2013 class are obviously B.J. Daniels and Vance McDonald. Daniels was released and picked up by us, and now he's showing that he may just be our backup QB of the future. Ironically, Daniels is one of their better picks from the last three years. McDonald, a supposed receiving TE, might have the worst hands of any receiver in the league with multiple drops in every practice. Meanwhile, I love the fact that McDonald's teammate, Luke Willson, was selected three rounds lower than McDonald, but has outplayed him, while developing into a legit weapon for us with excellent hands.

The 49ers' 2014 class is full of weak, injury-prone prospects. Their First Round strong safety prospect managed just nine reps on the bench press and has missed every practice with a foot injury. He also had shoulder problems in college that kept him out of games. Like their previous two drafts, count me as unimpressed.

LOL.

If you say so. My guess is any player drafted by SF would be considered unimpressive to you.

Are you impressed with those drafts?

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":2v7ehpsw said:
The players you point out are two first round picks a second rounder and a fullback...you are so right, what was I thinking by not being impressed? Four players out of what? 40 picks? wow. When do we get to see all the other players he picked?

You'll come around soon enough because he's gonna have a lot of replacing to do over the next couple years. Just remember, I told you so.

I dunno...when do any of the 20 players the Seahawks have selected in the past 2 years start?

I gave you ALOT more than 4. You just don't want to include 2010, discount all high round draft picks (because you know, its not convenient), discount anyone that YOU don't think is impressive, can't seem to be able to count or get the year Baalke took over right, and pretty much just try to find any reason you can to say that Baalke doesn't know what he's doing when just about anyone with a clue and not a Seattle fan disagrees with you.

I will remember. If you are correct...I'll give it up to you. If you aren't, I'm sure you will find some other excuse for why the picks worked out. No way can you give Baalke credit. Its in your DNA.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":2zmehm58 said:
Marvin49":2zmehm58 said:
hawknation2014":2zmehm58 said:
The way the 49ers have drafted since 2012 makes me happy. That 2012 draft class was a real failure for them; not a single player has started a game and only two players from that class remain on the team (Joe Looney, who has played in four total games, and LaMichael James, who had just 12 rushing attempts last year).

My two favorite picks from their poor 2013 class are obviously B.J. Daniels and Vance McDonald. Daniels was released and picked up by us, and now he's showing that he may just be our backup QB of the future. Ironically, Daniels is one of their better picks from the last three years. McDonald, a supposed receiving TE, might have the worst hands of any receiver in the league with multiple drops in every practice. Meanwhile, I love the fact that McDonald's teammate, Luke Willson, was selected three rounds lower than McDonald, but has outplayed him, while developing into a legit weapon for us with excellent hands.

The 49ers' 2014 class is full of weak, injury-prone prospects. Their First Round strong safety prospect managed just nine reps on the bench press and has missed every practice with a foot injury. He also had shoulder problems in college that kept him out of games. Like their previous two drafts, count me as unimpressed.

LOL.

If you say so. My guess is any player drafted by SF would be considered unimpressive to you.

Are you impressed with those drafts?

2012? No. Although they traded a number of picks in 2012 and moved them into 2013.

2013? A bit early to say, but yes, I like the 2013 draft. You are WAY, WAY, WAY overblowing the issues with McDonald. LOL. He had a high drop rate in games, but he was always raw and needed seasoning. He was drafted because he's a great athlete. He spent his rookie year learning and becoming a pretty good blocker. Tank and Lattimore were never going to play. Patton looked good when he had a chance and caught the game winner vs the Cards in week 17. I liked Daniels...didn't want to let him go.

2014? Why wouldn't I like it? LOL! Value at almost every pick. Only someone who doesn't want to like it would view it the way you do. Ward wasn't the only player they selected. He's also not playing SS this year, he'll be the nickel corner. Hyde? Martin? Borland? Ellington? Why the hell would I NOT like those picks?

Time will tell on all of them, but your insistence that they were bad is comical.

Giedi

Reaction score
Throwdown":1plvx36f said:
That would be kind of expected, I mean we JUST got out of the rebuilding mode. Its part of the reason why we have this potential dynasty thing attached to the team.
If you keep wilson healthy, the 'Hawks can definitely make a case for dynasty level play if they do well this year. I think without wilson, there is no chance of that kind of sustained high level play at all.

Giedi

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1868myk9 said:

I think BJ Daniels is the perfect backup QB for Wilson. They are so similar. The 2012 was one of the weakest drafts imaginable. The 49ers just didn't do a good job at all in 2012. However - we pulled a page out of seattle's draft playbook by getting two decent UDFA's that year. (Dobbs and Ian Williams)

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":1xjhjghd said:
rideaducati":1xjhjghd said:

I dunno...when do any of the 20 players the Seahawks have selected in the past 2 years start?

I gave you ALOT more than 4. You just don't want to include 2010, discount all high round draft picks (because you know, its not convenient), discount anyone that YOU don't think is impressive, can't seem to be able to count or get the year Baalke took over right, and pretty much just try to find any reason you can to say that Baalke doesn't know what he's doing when just about anyone with a clue and not a Seattle fan disagrees with you.

I will remember. If you are correct...I'll give it up to you. If you aren't, I'm sure you will find some other excuse for why the picks worked out. No way can you give Baalke credit. Its in your DNA.

Two years ago? Hmmm. I believe that was Bruce Irvin (STARTING LB), Bobby Wagner (STARTING LB), Russell Wilson (STARTING QB), J.R. Sweezy (STARTING RG). That draft also included Robert Turbin who is the backup to Marshawn and Jeremy Lane who plays on special teams and backup corner. How's that? How many of the 2012 draft picks have even played for the niners let alone start?

Last year? Hmmm. I believe Michael Bowie STARTED half the season when Okung was injured, but he was a 7th round pick, so he wouldn't be noticed by niner fans. Luke Wilson was the second TE ALL SEASON and actually caught passes in 13 games. You probably missed him because he was a 5th rounder and you're not used to seeing 5th round picks play. Two DT's weren't able to crack the lineup, but will be a part of the rotation this year now that Red and Clemons are gone.

This year? Well, gee, I guess we'll have to wait a bit to find out.

As for "discounting" the niner 2010 draft, no, I don't discount it, I just don't give credit to Baalke. It was a really good draft. Since then, the niner drafts have been inconclusive at best and 2012 was awful.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Giedi":28vr8k33 said:
hawknation2014":28vr8k33 said:

I think BJ Daniels is the perfect backup QB for Wilson. They are so similar. The 2012 was one of the weakest drafts imaginable. The 49ers just didn't do a good job at all in 2012. However - we pulled a page out of seattle's draft playbook by getting two decent UDFA's that year. (Dobbs and Ian Williams)

Never heard of em.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I know Niners fans want desperately to assume their draft picks that haven't played any real NFL game time are going to be the answer to replacing all those top ten picks they had over the last decade before climbing out of the cellar but before you contact Canton you might want to take a look back at how some of those prospects actually turned out.

I ran across a Niner fans write up from Niner Nation on. It's an evaluation of the 2010 draft class with grades and explanations. His review of Taylor Mays should be something every Niner fan is forced to read before spouting off how well all these guys waiting in the wings are going to do.

From Niner Nation:

49th Pick Overall (2nd Round) - Taylor Mays | Strong Safety | USC - Taylor Mays falling in to the 49ers laps this far in to the 2nd Round was nothing short of a miracle. When the 49ers turned their card in for this selection, and it was announced at the podium, I have to say that me, the 49ers front office, and I am sure several other Niner fans jumped through the roof. With Pete Carroll's selection of Earl Thomas early on in the draft, it sent Mays sailing down the board in dramatic fashion. It seems as though most teams looked at Carroll not taking Mays with the 14th overall pick as a "sign" that he may not have as much upside as was being put on. Well, all I have to say to that, is that this is the 49ers gain and everyone else's loss.

None the less, smiles were ear to ear on Taylor Mays' face as he took the podium at 49ers headquarters earlier yesterday; See video here. Mays sounds like an intelligent young man, and as he stated in the interview, he is not going to play the game with a grudge, or a chip... but more or less play the game with the intentions of being one of the best. He has a relationship with former 49er, and Hall of Famer, Ronnie Lott. Lott will be a guy that Mays can reach out to for advice and I don't think there is a better candidate (aside from the coaches) for that. Mays will have an incredible front seven in front of him and that will benefit him tremendously. I have a feeling that Mays has all the makings, and right coaching in front of him to be great now. OVERALL GRADE: A+

Now not all have obviously turned out like Mays but the excitement of this player is a very good example of fans assuming things before they prove out. Whether good or bad.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":1vg5rvxp said:
Marvin49":1vg5rvxp said:
rideaducati":1vg5rvxp said:

Two years ago? Hmmm. I believe that was Bruce Irvin (STARTING LB), Bobby Wagner (STARTING LB), Russell Wilson (STARTING QB), J.R. Sweezy (STARTING RG). That draft also included Robert Turbin who is the backup to Marshawn and Jeremy Lane who plays on special teams and backup corner. How's that? How many of the 2012 draft picks have even played for the niners let alone start?

Last year? Hmmm. I believe Michael Bowie STARTED half the season when Okung was injured, but he was a 7th round pick, so he wouldn't be noticed by niner fans. Luke Wilson was the second TE ALL SEASON and actually caught passes in 13 games. You probably missed him because he was a 5th rounder and you're not used to seeing 5th round picks play. Two DT's weren't able to crack the lineup, but will be a part of the rotation this year now that Red and Clemons are gone.

This year? Well, gee, I guess we'll have to wait a bit to find out.

As for "discounting" the niner 2010 draft, no, I don't discount it, I just don't give credit to Baalke. It was a really good draft. Since then, the niner drafts have been inconclusive at best and 2012 was awful.

I said last two drafts....as in last year and this year....just as you were when you said 40 picks. Not many starters simply because you already have a strong team. Not indicative of a bad draft. I'm also not suggesting the Seahawks had bad drafts...I'm just illustrating how good player don't always get on the field right away on good teams. How many starters do you see from this draft this year. Willson was a #2 TE. woopee. Bowie filled in when there was an injury. joy. I guess it was a bust then, right? None of those guys was good enough to overtake a starter so they all clearly suck.

You are discounting 2010 even though Baalke was in the chair and was McCloughans right hand man and even though McCloughan was such a drunk that they fired him before the draft. Yup...That's the guy who deserves the credit. SMDH.

2012? That cracks me up. Yup...Niner draft in 2012 sucked. Not even arguing it. I like how you mention a bunch of players there that aren't starting but when I mentioned players not yet starting they didn't count for some reason.

While 2012 sucked, 2010 and 2011 were fantastic. Even if you don't count 2010 (which again, is just lame cherry picking) Aldon Smth, Colin Kaepernick, Chris Culliver, Kendall Hunter, Daniel Kilgore, and Bruce Miller is quite a haul. 2013? Eric Reid is a stud. We were never going to see Tank till this year. McDonald will likely be much improved and has bee a star of minicamp. Lemonier looked good in limited snaps. Patton was hurt most of the year but looked promising. He'd have gotten a much bigger shot if he hadn't been hurt because WR was a problem position before Crab came back. Lattimore was never going to play.

Finally....this late round BS. Such garbage. Schneider deserves credit for finding guys late in the draft. He's very good at it. That doesn't somehow make another GM a loser because he makes good selections at the top of the draft, LOL. I'm also not trying to compare the niers and Seahawks drafts (other than making the point about rookies starting) because I respect what the Seahawks have done. All this BS about how the niners drafts have sucked tho is just blind homerism.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3hwzqg1l said:
I know Niners fans want desperately to assume their draft picks that haven't played any real NFL game time are going to be the answer to replacing all those top ten picks they had over the last decade before climbing out of the cellar but before you contact Canton you might want to take a look back at how some of those prospects actually turned out.

I ran across a Niner fans write up from Niner Nation on. It's an evaluation of the 2010 draft class with grades and explanations. His review of Taylor Mays should be something every Niner fan is forced to read before spouting off how well all these guys waiting in the wings are going to do.

From Niner Nation:

49th Pick Overall (2nd Round) - Taylor Mays | Strong Safety | USC - Taylor Mays falling in to the 49ers laps this far in to the 2nd Round was nothing short of a miracle. When the 49ers turned their card in for this selection, and it was announced at the podium, I have to say that me, the 49ers front office, and I am sure several other Niner fans jumped through the roof. With Pete Carroll's selection of Earl Thomas early on in the draft, it sent Mays sailing down the board in dramatic fashion. It seems as though most teams looked at Carroll not taking Mays with the 14th overall pick as a "sign" that he may not have as much upside as was being put on. Well, all I have to say to that, is that this is the 49ers gain and everyone else's loss.

None the less, smiles were ear to ear on Taylor Mays' face as he took the podium at 49ers headquarters earlier yesterday; See video here. Mays sounds like an intelligent young man, and as he stated in the interview, he is not going to play the game with a grudge, or a chip... but more or less play the game with the intentions of being one of the best. He has a relationship with former 49er, and Hall of Famer, Ronnie Lott. Lott will be a guy that Mays can reach out to for advice and I don't think there is a better candidate (aside from the coaches) for that. Mays will have an incredible front seven in front of him and that will benefit him tremendously. I have a feeling that Mays has all the makings, and right coaching in front of him to be great now. OVERALL GRADE: A+

Now not all have obviously turned out like Mays but the excitement of this player is a very good example of fans assuming things before they prove out. Whether good or bad.

Well of course. Taylor was a total bust.

....but the Niner picks that surrounded Taylor were Mike Iupati and Navorro Bowman.

I'm not arguing that all Niner picks WILL be studs. I just think the assumption that they will all suck is equally ludicrous.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":2b8km1qe said:
Giedi":2b8km1qe said:
hawknation2014":2b8km1qe said:

Never heard of em.

That funny because we lost Williams to a broken ankle for the season in Seattle because he was chop blocked.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Marvin49":2ww6rbrm said:
RichNhansom":2ww6rbrm said:

From Niner Nation:

....but the Niner picks that surrounded Taylor were Mike Iupati and Navorro Bowman.

I'm not arguing that all Niner picks WILL be studs. I just think the assumption that they will all suck is equally ludicrous.

My point was referring to all the hype and credit we continuously hear regarding the guys you have waiting in the wing. Way to often you see Niners fans trying to credit guys who haven't proven anything as a reason they will not drop off.

Hype and fluff is not a reason anyone should be willing to talk trash. Your other post I commented on as a good post was exactly that because you kept their potential in proportion as potential rather than using it as proof which is a very common theme on the webzone. If you didn't know who Tank was you would think he had already been to multiple pro bowls.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":o6ovvnjp said:
Marvin49":o6ovvnjp said:
RichNhansom":o6ovvnjp said:

From Niner Nation:

My point was referring to all the hype and credit we continuously hear regarding the guys you have waiting in the wing. Way to often you see Niners fans trying to credit guys who haven't proven anything as a reason they will not drop off.

Hype and fluff is not a reason anyone should be willing to talk trash. Your other post I commented on as a good post was exactly that because you kept their potential in proportion as potential rather than using it as proof which is a very common theme on the webzone. If you didn't know who Tank was you would think he had already been to multiple pro bowls.

Point taken.

I can't speak for all 49ers fans, but for myself I typically invoke those names when responding to someone who is concluding the 49ers are about to age out of contention or that they have drafted poorly. We don't know how those guys are going to work out one way or the other. All we know is that they were highly regarded players who were injured and would have been taken higher otherwise. It's like having extra high picks this year.

Could the bust? Sure. It's way too early to assume that just as it's too early to call them stars. All we can say right now is that the 49ers have accumulated a great deal of perceived value in the last two drafts relative to what many think of those players from a talent perspective. We'll just have to see how they work out.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I give Baalke as much credit for the 2010 draft as I give Barry Switzer for his Superbowl championship.
:sarcasm_on: Both were the reason their teams were good. :sarcasm_off:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
rideaducati":2h7oijr6 said:
I give Baalke as much credit for the 2010 draft as I give Barry Switzer for his Superbowl championship.

I wouldn't try and discredit Baalke for that draft but it comes with a question mark. There is no question they used McCloughan's input but we don't know how much of it. I would like to think the only decision Balke made in that draft was to over ride McCloughan on Taylor Mays but that is just wishful thinking.

Baalke's role in that draft won't really be obvious for a few more years. If he fails to find guys like Willis, Cowboy, Gore and others it will be obvious he was living of McCloughan's draft board but if he is able to replace the current stars on that team then he deserves full credit for the 2010 draft.

So far I can say there isn't a single person outside of that 2010 draft I would want or feel like we missed on though. Smith IMO isn't worth the embarrassment, Kaep might just be a product of Harbaugh plus we have Wilson, Culliver is an average CB and another embarrassment, McDonald IMO is a complete miss and really who else is there? Miller? He's a full back, meh who cares.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":337fdlu3 said:

Faulty reasoning since Switzer wasn't responsible for 6 offensive starters last year (A. Davis, Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Colin Kaepernick, Bruce Miller, and Anquan Boldin) or 6 starters on defense (A. Smith, Navorro Bowman, Glenn Dorsey, Eric Reid, Donte Whitner, and Carlos Rogers).

That's 12 of 22 starters drafted, signed, or traded for by Baalke.

Oh yeah, he also signed the kicker.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":38rlhs4c said:
rideaducati":38rlhs4c said:

I wouldn't try and discredit Baalke for that draft but it comes with a question mark. There is no question they used McCloughan's input but we don't know how much of it. I would like to think the only decision Balke made in that draft was to over ride McCloughan on Taylor Mays but that is just wishful thinking.

Baalke's role in that draft won't really be obvious for a few more years. If he fails to find guys like Willis, Cowboy, Gore and others it will be obvious he was living of McCloughan's draft board but if he is able to replace the current stars on that team then he deserves full credit for the 2010 draft.

So far I can say there isn't a single person outside of that 2010 draft I would want or feel like we missed on though. Smith IMO isn't worth the embarrassment, Kaep might just be a product of Harbaugh plus we have Wilson, Culliver is an average CB and another embarrassment, McDonald IMO is a complete miss and really who else is there? Miller? He's a full back, meh who cares.

I'm sure they did on some level, but when it comes down to it you give credit to the guy in the chair. I don't give Baalke credit for drafting Vernon, Frank or Pat even though I know McCloughan got Baalke input on those drafts. Baalke was there all along. I'm not giving Trent credit for those drafts tho because he wasn't in the chair on draft day.

As for how he does replacing those stars, we'll just have to see. More challenging now that the team is good and you don't have the same draft position you did when the team was built. That's why they are selecting injured players. They are trying to maximize value and get players that would have gone well above their pick had they not been hurt. As I said before, it's not so much about replacing those players as it is about maintaining an overall talent level to keep yourself in contention year after year. I don't expect Tank to be as good or better than Cowboy and I don't expect Hyde to be better than Gore.

Kap will likely improve. Their WR position is light years ahead of this time last year. Maybe Ward and Culliver are upgrades from the aging Rogers and the solid but unspectacular Brown. Who knows.

McDonald a complete miss!?! Lol. I'm glad you guys aren't GMs. The guy wasn't going to start and was raw. You bust meter is out of control. Lol. The guy didn't even really play TE in college.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Career AV by Draft Classes (per PFREF.com)

2013 CLASS
SF0: 12 AV
Did Not Include Marcus Cooper (KC) who has 4 AV

SEA: 9 AV

2012 CLASS
SEA: 83 AV
Did not include Jaye Howard (KC) /Winston Guy (JAX) who both have 1 AV each.

SF0: 2 AV
Did Not Include AJ Jenkins (KC) /Cam Johnson (IND) who both have 1 AV each.

2011 Class
SEA: 96 AV
DNI Kris Durham (DET) who has 5 AV.

SFO: 70 AV

2010 Class
SFO: 126 AV
Counted Kyle Williams, Phillip Adams, and Taylor Mays AV as Niners.

SEA: 117 AV

TOTAL
SF0: 210 AV
SEA: 305 AV

Seahawks have a 95 AV advantage, later I'll research contributing UDFAs from '10 to '13 and see if that makes the SFO gap better or worst.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2e9ji1uo said:
Career AV by Draft Classes (per PFREF.com)

2013 CLASS
SF0: 12 AV
Did Not Include Marcus Cooper (KC) who has 4 AV

SEA: 9 AV

2012 CLASS
SEA: 83 AV
Did not include Jaye Howard (KC) /Winston Guy (JAX) who both have 1 AV each.

SF0: 2 AV
Did Not Include AJ Jenkins (KC) /Cam Johnson (IND) who both have 1 AV each.

2011 Class
SEA: 96 AV
DNI Kris Durham (DET) who has 5 AV.

SFO: 70 AV

2010 Class
SFO: 126 AV
Counted Kyle Williams, Phillip Adams, and Taylor Mays AV as Niners.

SEA: 117 AV

TOTAL
SF0: 210 AV
SEA: 305 AV

Seahawks have a 95 AV advantage, later I'll research contributing UDFAs from '10 to '13 and see if that makes the SFO gap better or worst.

Those are a bunch of pretty numbers but...

1) I got no clue what AV means or who gets to decide who is worth what.

2) Most of the difference is in the 2012 draft which I've already said was a bust.

3) It has no bearing on anything since I wasn't comparing the 49ers and Seahawks.