Seattle is dead last in OL spending

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I'm not too quick to blame cable. When he had a decent budget, he did fine. His draft picks have for the most part went on to other teams and done fine. Lack of a budget to work with, and having last Yeats experiment fail has brought us to where we are. A good OL has to work well together and be able to trust each other. This line is WAY to new to do that yet. If we can get Britt, glow, Gilliam and ifedi to mesh well, we will see vast improvement. The 5th is still up in the air, but I'm sure the staff is working hard to fill it with a quality guy.

At this point we don't really have a choice, so I hope they gain the confidence and experience together to pull it out.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I don't know guys, I just have a hard time believing that the solution is "throw money at it". Look at Jay Cutler, dude gets paid a ton and is constantly injured/not playing.

NE last year was playing with a bunch of no name OLinemen and got tremendous results, now, the thing there is scheme. Brady gets the ball out faster than most every QB in the NFL. They also throw about 3 yards downfield on every play, which Bevell wants to "take shots" so I don't know...

I really think better execution and we'll see improvement.

mrt144

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2ovoxacd said:
I don't know guys, I just have a hard time believing that the solution is "throw money at it". Look at Jay Cutler, dude gets paid a ton and is constantly injured/not playing.

NE last year was playing with a bunch of no name OLinemen and got tremendous results, now, the thing there is scheme. Brady gets the ball out faster than most every QB in the NFL. They also throw about 3 yards downfield on every play, which Bevell wants to "take shots" so I don't know...

I really think better execution and we'll see improvement.

Well if the underlying methodology for determining skill remains intact, yes, throwing money at the problem might not work.

floridian_seahawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/GoSeahawksNews/status/778704549921959936[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/GoSeahawksNews/status/778705499453730816[/tweet]

IndyHawk

Reaction score
mikeak":38nn6ihg said:
You guys are missing the point - this means that we are getting tremendous value from the O-line.

Someone posted just the other day how our O-line is ranked 27th out of 32 teams

That means we are paying the least but are getting better production than 5 other teams. That is the definition of value.......

:sarcasm_off:

and in regards to mediocre O-lines winning in the past. That is not what we are discussing. We are discussing an abysmal O-line. One that fans has been complaining about for years it is almost like the FO said - we will show those complaining fans how wrong they are lets spend EVEN LESS!!!.......

So what was the last abysmal O-line that won? If you don't think it matters watch the first quarter of the Carolina playoff game last year and get back to me. We got DESTROYED
I can agree with this post.. :2thumbs:

OP
OP
CodeWarrior

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
If we want to avoid slow starts and win games consistently early in the year we have to invest more in the OL. Offenses notoriously start slower than defenses and one sure way to mask the early deficiencies of an offense is to have a strong OL. We don't, so we falter early in the season.

The OL is why we will be a wild card or 4th seed.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
O line spending is low because the players are mostly playing on their rookie contracts. they are building the o line through the draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1qsafows said:

NE last year was playing with a bunch of no name OLinemen and got tremendous results, now, the thing there is scheme. Brady gets the ball out faster than most every QB in the NFL. They also throw about 3 yards downfield on every play, which Bevell wants to "take shots" so I don't know..

NE is a good example of a franchise and staff that excels at what we're trying to do..........go cheap on the O-line by drafting and signing "system" lineman that fit well with their schemes.

Unfortunately for us, we're having a hard time while NE seems to plug in anyone and it works year after year.

To be fair, I think NE has it easier than us. They have a 10+ year Hall of Fame QB that is a master technician at ALWAYS being in the right play, right formation and right protection...........as well as throwing the ball 75% of the time not holding it for more than 2-3 seconds.

While we have a dynamic running, scrambling never gonna know how long he's going to hold onto the ball QB and an offense that requires physical run first AND pass protection for up to 5-7 seconds.

OP
OP
CodeWarrior

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2urhmpdt said:
NE is a good example of a franchise and staff that excels at what we're trying to do..........go cheap on the O-line by drafting and signing "system" lineman that fit well with their schemes.

This is just simply not true. NE spends 18.37% of their total cap on the OL, good for 9th overall and well above average. Seattle, as I stated earlier, spends just 5.86% of the cap on OL. Dead last.

Cap spending percentages: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

OP
OP
CodeWarrior

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2nlcb9fw said:
O line spending is low because the players are mostly playing on their rookie contracts. they are building the o line through the draft.

Building through the draft means keeping the quality players that you draft. Seattle doesn't. We let them walk to other teams.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":bsmxj5b4 said:
Sgt. Largent":bsmxj5b4 said:

This is just simply not true. NE spends 18.37% of their total cap on the OL, good for 9th overall and well above average. Seattle, as I stated earlier, spends just 5.86% of the cap on OL. Dead last.

This year, but NE was 27th in spending in 2013, #14 in 2014 and #9 in 2015..............and Belicheat has no problem dumping high priced lineman even before they reach their expiration dates, yet still can plug in 2nd and 3rd stringers without missing a beat.

Not the case here, it takes entire seasons for our new lineman to gel, if they gel at all.

OP
OP
CodeWarrior

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1zr4qglj said:
CodeWarrior":1zr4qglj said:
Sgt. Largent":1zr4qglj said:

This year, but NE was 27th in spending in 2013, #14 in 2014 and #9 in 2015..............and Belicheat has no problem dumping high priced lineman even before they reach their expiration dates, yet still can plug in 2nd and 3rd stringers without missing a beat.

Not the case here, it takes entire seasons for our new lineman to gel, if they gel at all.

Okay, but NE clearly doesn't have an aversion to spending money on OL the way this Seattle team does.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":212wuuge said:
Sgt. Largent":212wuuge said:
CodeWarrior":212wuuge said:
Sgt. Largent":212wuuge said:

Okay, but NE clearly doesn't have an aversion to spending money on OL the way this Seattle team does.

Either did we until recently, we were #1 in 2012.

My point is both teams have similar philosophies with their O-line, look for system players through the draft that fit well rather than throw money at the problem like 25 other teams.

Is this more of an indictment on John and Pete for letting the salary cap and their personal feelings for certain players get away from them?

A case could be made for that argument.

OP
OP
CodeWarrior

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vvobwaj said:

My point is both teams have similar philosophies with their O-line, look for system players through the draft that fit well rather than throw money at the problem like 25 other teams.

Is this more of an indictment on John and Pete for letting the salary cap and their personal feelings for certain players get away from them?

2012 isn't a relevant comparison because we weren't paying a QB nor topflight CB, etc at that point. Once this team's nose was put to the salary cap grindstone they chose to make do with a bare bones OL. We are seeing the results. I find serious fault with paying the defensive backfield over 4.5x what you are paying the OL. Pete's baby is the secondary, and he decides where the money goes.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The title to this thread is misleading to a slight degree yet is true on the money part. However in terms of draft capital spent the hawks have since 2010 spent a lot of draft capital on the OLine with less than exceptional success.

Seymour

Reaction score
One big difference between Seattle and NE is that Seattle has far more "core players" they are attempting to hold onto. IMO too many as they now have strapped themselves to inferior oline play to the point of just pizz poor / difficult to watch football. Tough decisions will need to be made, and VERY soon. Like next year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":9shvv5ir said:
Sgt. Largent":9shvv5ir said:

2012 isn't a relevant comparison because we weren't paying a QB nor topflight CB, etc at that point. Once this team's nose was put to the salary cap grindstone they chose to make do with a bare bones OL. We are seeing the results. I find serious fault with paying the defensive backfield over 4.5x what you are paying the OL. Pete's baby is the secondary, and he decides where the money goes.

This I agree with.

You could even throw our expensive LB core into this argument. A LOT of money is being spent on the back end of a defense that so far this year has not been getting us the turnovers and imposing their will like they need to in order to justify their salaries.

Hard to complain about giving up 10 and 9 points, but other than the D-line, I don't see the same nastiness and physical play that we're used to seeing.